Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,842 members, 7,802,695 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant (21973 Views)

Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others / Nigeria To Build Nuclear Weapons, Seeks Russian Help. / Amaechi Signs Agreement With CCECC For Implementation Of Lagos/kaduna Rail Line (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Rosskii: 5:27am On Oct 31, 2017
Russia Signs Agreement With Nigeria to Build Nuclear Power Plant

By Paul Burkhardt

October 30, 2017, 4:30 PM GMT

Bloomberg

Russia has signed agreements with Nigeria to build and operate a nuclear power plant in the oil-rich West African nation that has a deficit of reliable power and faces security challenges by Islamist militants in the far northeast.

Feasibility studies for the plant and a research center construction will include site screening, capacity, financing, and time frames of the projects, state-owned Russian nuclear company Rosatom said in an emailed statement.

The nations in 2009 signed an intergovernmental agreement on cooperation in the field of the peaceful usage of nuclear technologies. Nigeria in 2015 was in talks with Rosatom to build as many as four nuclear power plants costing about $20 billion, the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission said at the time.

Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, distributes an average of 4,500 megawatts of electricity. Half the output of the Egbin power plant, the nation’s biggest, is lost because of inadequate transmission infrastructure, its chief officer said last month.

Rosatom is seeking to build nuclear power plants in other countries on the continent including South Africa.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-30/russia-signs-agreement-with-nigeria-to-build-nuclear-power-plant

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by morbeta(m): 5:42am On Oct 31, 2017
We reject unfinished elephant project in Jesus name.....Amen.

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by ReubenE(m): 5:52am On Oct 31, 2017
This toxic President......we are yet to distribute to full capacity the one we produce now.
He should site them in his sitting room before militants and their likes threaten to blow them up....

This Buhari just like hazard

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Blue3k(m): 5:59am On Oct 31, 2017
Interesting they finally got this deal done. I've been hearing talks for years. Now who wants it in their state? I remember they wanted to site it in Akwa Ibom but it was resisted. Nuclear power statistically is safest form of power if you are diligent about maintenance. Next we don't have natural disasters. They only issue is Nigerian factor.

What I would like to see is a study on feasibility of thorium salt reactor. I read its safer than uranium reactor and can't be used to make nuclear bombs.

Front Page: Lalasticlala

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by scribble: 6:01am On Oct 31, 2017
But we havent even got it right with water, coal, solar, wind

Its now nuclear

They are just planning long time extinction of we blacks

Boko haram, nukes, corruption

We are sitting ducks

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 31, 2017
Nuclear plants are dangerous investments! Even a minor accident in these plants can destroy a whole geopolitical zone, with cancer-causing radioactive toxins!

Google Chernobil nuclear disaster. The people of Chernobil that survived cannot live in their region for at least the next 100 years!

Please Nigerians, I, a Buhari supporter, says: Tell Buhari; Don't Build Any Nuclear Plant In My State!

I don talk my own o!

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by BabaRamota1980: 6:03am On Oct 31, 2017
Buhari should develop SE with a nuclear power plant.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Paperwhite(m): 6:05am On Oct 31, 2017
Misplaced priority! undecided What do Nigeria needs a nuclear plant/armament for when we can even manage the conventional but archaic weaponry at our disposal?
Where will Nigeria get money from to fund such a monumental project from considering the chronic borrowing nature of the Buhari's government?
He is busy wasting our resources prospecting for oil that no more have value in the world market in the northern region with associated wastage of precious lives by BH then now this. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by dealerman(m): 6:06am On Oct 31, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

Nigeria is not well developed to maintain a nuclear power plant! Our so called politicians should stop putting the cat before the horse, they should use their brains.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Samsimple(m): 6:24am On Oct 31, 2017
Nuclear plant kehhh nigeria will still use that switch off and on... Up nepa
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by gare(f): 6:43am On Oct 31, 2017
dealerman:

Nigeria is not well developed to maintain a nuclear power plant! Our so called politicians should stop putting the cat before the horse, they should use their brains.

No be only Cat na pussy, guy Focus

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Spylord48: 6:46am On Oct 31, 2017
11 nuclear plants.He should please direct them to the north to construct it there if ever The projects will be Initialized in the next 100 years.
We haven't maintained a simple road or even the hydro power plants all over the country yet they are signing agreement to build nuclear power plants that need critical and careful maintaneance everytime

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by M2dX(m): 6:50am On Oct 31, 2017
nuclear plant?
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 31, 2017
scribble:
But we havent even got it right with water, coal, solar, wind

Its now nuclear

They are just planning long time extinction of we blacks

Boko haram, nukes, corruption

We are sitting ducks
Lmao...Nigerians don't have maintenance culture,they shoudn't try this unless the country is doomed.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 31, 2017
igbodefender:
Nuclear plants are dangerous investments! Even a minor accident in these plants can destroy a whole geopolitical zone, with cancer-causing radioactive toxins!

Google Chernobil nuclear disaster. The people of Chernobil that survived cannot live in their region for at least the next 100 years!

Please Nigerians, I, a Buhari supporter, says: Tell Buhari; Don't Build Any Nuclear Plant In My State!

I don talk my own o!
Rubbish,it should be sited next to your house,since you're a blind supporter.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by EternalTruths: 6:59am On Oct 31, 2017
No problem as long as it is built in the North and West where Buhari's supporters are strongest.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 31, 2017
Blue3k:
Interesting they finally got this deal done. I've been hearing talks for years. Now who wants it in their state? I remember they wanted to site it in Akwa Ibom but it was resisted. Nuclear power statistically is safest form of power if you are diligent about maintenance. Next we don't have natural disasters. They only issue is Nigerian factor. I have zero confidence in federal government managing the plant.

What I would like to see is a study on feasibility of thorium salt reactor. I read its safer than uranium reactor and can't be used to make nuclear bombs.

Front Page: Lalasticlala
The problem with you is that
you are not a realist rather you bbelieve everything you read.

I don't pray any Southern state should agreee on hosting the nuclear reactor rather it should be sited in Daura since a train station is coming there and also it's close proximity to Niger Republic that has the raw material which is Uranium.

17 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 31, 2017
gare:

No be only Cat na pussy, guy Focus
Lol. You just spoiled the guy's morning.

Savage everywhere

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 31, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

Savage everywhere
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 31, 2017
BabaRamota1980:
Since Oyo is bigger than the SE then it should be sited there because nuclear plant needs a large landmass which the SE doesn't have rather Oyo state has in abundance

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by gare(f): 7:06am On Oct 31, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

Savage everywhere

Na the guy wake me up from sleep.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by EternalTruths: 7:07am On Oct 31, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

I don't pray any Southern state should agreee on hosting the nuclear reactor rather it should be sited in Daura since a train station is coming there and also it's close proximity to Niger Republic that has the raw material which is Uranium.

Supported

We can't forget Chernobyl nuclear disaster

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by HITdemUP: 7:08am On Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why we are always quick to criticise our government unnecessarily. Don't be a sadist. Criticise what is Right and Condemn what is wrong irrespective of your political and tribal differences.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by DieBuhari: 7:10am On Oct 31, 2017
BabaRamota1980:
Yoruba Muslim

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by nnokwa042(m): 7:10am On Oct 31, 2017
Nuclear power plant? Nigeria that can't not manage her airline her national stadium her roads her now want to build nuclear power ajeokuta steel complex nko?pls let them build it in southwest or northern Nigeria we Easterners reject anything to do with this government in Jesus name

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Blue3k(m): 7:11am On Oct 31, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

Man your mention is dumb. The issue with people like you is that you guys cling to petty emotions rather than scientific research. You don't understand science behind nuclear power nor do you comprehend my comments. Did I say we should use uranium? Did you not see me mention thorium salt reactors or do you not know there's a difference?

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 31, 2017
Blue3k:

Man your mention is dumb. The issue with people like you is that you guys cling to petty emotions rather than scientific research. You don't understand science behind nuclear power nor do you comprehend my comments. Did I say we should use uranium? Did you not see me mention thorium salt reactors or do you not know there's a difference?

Another of your dumb theory because you are still in your adolescent age which makes you to grow aggressive when you meet someone of the opposite sex.

Drink water and face your books because people like you end up wandering the streets after school because they read
up the whole white man ttheories forgetting they are Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Justiceleague1: 7:22am On Oct 31, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

ur thunda dey do press up

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by EternalTruths: 7:23am On Oct 31, 2017
Blue3k:

Do you know there is a plan to do away with nuclear energy.?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 31, 2017
DutchBruh:

Rubbish,it should be sited next to your house,since you're a blind supporter.

Shut up! I have the right to support or oppose specific candidates or policies for the benefit of my people.

Nigerians tell Buhari: No to nuclear plants in Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by 989900: 7:26am On Oct 31, 2017
Noooooo!

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Blue3k(m): 7:28am On Oct 31, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Another of your dumb theory because you are still in your adolescent age which makes you to grow aggressive when you meet someone of the opposite sex.

Drink water and face your books because people like you end up wandering the streets after school because they read
up the whole white man ttheories forgetting they are Nigerians

Shut up with that nonsense. Debunk my thorium salt reactor claim or fall on your sword. How is science white man theories? What a daft statement. You typed this lame retort because you don't have any proof to back your claims pathetic.

EternalTruths:

Do you know there is a plan to do away with nuclear energy.?

Is that why they want to build more? Lol cool story.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See How Election Was Rigged In Akwa Ibom State By PDP / Abuja DISCO Issues Notice Of Disconnection To Presidential Villa, 85 MDAs / Buhari Ranked 14th Most Influential World Leader On Social Networks In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.