Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,629 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? (11057 Views)

Is It Wrong To Cook In My Married Brother's House? / Blue-Eyed Risikat Azeez Makes Peace With Her Husband (Photos) / When A Lady Is 23 Years And Cannot Cook. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by bongolistik(m): 9:35am On Nov 01, 2017
And they are planning to install prepaid electricity meters in our location and people have been having mixed feelings about the move.

The thing there is that, the power supply in my location is fairly OK as compared to other neighbouring locations and many people around use airconditioner and electric cooker that helps to reduce the frequent visitation of gas plant for cooking gas and thereby saving you some reasonable amount of cash monthly.

But the issue now is that prepaid meter is coming and we all know how electric cooker, AC, bathroom heaters, boiling ring and other thermal appliances consume high amount of energy/power.

The annoying thing and the implication of the coming of prepaid meter is that people can no longer cook in peace with their electric cooker and some might end up dumping their electric cooker and concentraing more on cooking gas even when they electricity supply is there.

Those appliances were they not meant to be used and enjoyed fully?

Why will people now be afraid of switching on their ACs because of prepaid?

Averagely without prepaid, we know that a single room and self contained room dwellers in the neighbourhood pay between N1.5k to 3k monthly for their electricity bills, while using all those appliances in peace, but what if they now pay like 5k to 7k monthly using those appliances fullest with prepaid, that will surely be huge on people around considering the state of the country and people's salaries or what they get in their pay day jobs.

Now many people want to reject the prepaid meter but the DISCOs want to enforce it, won't that bring problems to the community between the two parties?

What's your take or experience with prepaid meters for those of you that have been using it?

Do you still cook with electric cooker?

1 Like

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by hisgrace090: 9:44am On Nov 01, 2017
That is prepared meter for you.
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by Baawaa(m): 9:50am On Nov 01, 2017
But the issue now is that prepaid meter is coming and we all know how electric cooker, AC, bathroom heaters, boiling ring and other thermal appliances consume high amount of energy/power.

The annoying thing and the implication of the coming of prepaid meter is that people can no longer cook in peace with their electric cooker and some might end up dumping their electric cooker and concentraing more on cooking gas even when they electricity supply is there.

Averagely without prepaid, we know that a single room and self contained room in the neighbourhood pays between N1.5k to 3k monthly for their electricity bills, while using all those appliances in peace, but what if they now pay like 5k to 7k monthly using those appliances fullest with prepaid, that will surely be huge on people around considering the state of the country and people's salaries or what they get in
This is typical Nigerian,you are enjoying power and you don't want pay

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by bongolistik(m): 9:54am On Nov 01, 2017
Baawaa:

This is typical Nigerian,you are enjoying power and you don't want pay
Thank God you said "typical Nigeria" and not typical America.. Are you in France?

1 Like

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by cana882(m): 10:10am On Nov 01, 2017
I'll rather regulate my use of steady electricity than to pay arbitrarily padded bill for a hoax of electricity. Very soon, your steady light will begin rapid degradation. What next then??

7 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by Droyal(f): 10:19am On Nov 01, 2017
Nigerians sha.

Where some of us are trying everything possible to get prepaid.

It seems you are not getting outrageous bills. I would rather pay for exactly what I consume.

Those yeye discos will not distribute prepaid to those that don't have steady supply because they know they will lose money.

6 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by Acidosis(m): 10:21am On Nov 01, 2017
I seriously need this
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by mamadsquare: 12:47pm On Nov 01, 2017
Consumption on a prepaid electricity meter isn't as expensive as people make you believe. The important thing is regulating consumption. My household for example uses 115 units in a month and a half, that's about 3000 naira. We power our freezer for 24 to 36 hours straight and switch of for about three days, water heater is only powered when the weather is cold and A.C when weather is hot. Things like iron, electric kettle, blender are powered as needed. Power supply in my area is about 16hrs a day on the average, and people with my type of household that do postpaid get 7500 monthly.

8 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by uvalued(m): 12:50pm On Jan 02, 2018
mamadsquare:
Consumption on a prepaid electricity meter isn't as expensive as people make you believe. The important thing is regulating consumption. My household for example uses 115 units in a month and a half, that's about 3000 naira. We power our freezer for 24 to 36 hours straight and switch of for about three days, water heater is only powered when the weather is cold and A.C when weather is hot. Things like iron, electric kettle, blender are powered as needed. Power supply in my area is about 16hrs a day on the average, and people with my type of household that do postpaid get 7500 monthly.

Hmm good comment at least its making sense to have prepaid meter. More comments from those using prepaid and the appliances stated above

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by hollawaley2: 4:29pm On Jan 02, 2018
we use 1k worth of unit for 6months here. Simple trick is just to bypass the meter. After you've received your prepaid meter, contact your local electrician to help you by pass the meter

6 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by tessytessy(f): 11:03am On Jan 03, 2018
Waoh, Lucky you.

On a good day of power supply, we use about 70-100 units a night.

Again, depending on the area, tarriffs are different. An egbeda person would pay differently from Ikoyi.

In all, it is better than running your generator. They should improve power supply and make money to further improve power supply.
mamadsquare:

2 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by tessytessy(f): 11:04am On Jan 03, 2018
And you will be complaining that when will Nigeria ever get 24/7 hours power supply. With people like you, we will never achieve this.

hollawaley2:
we use 1k worth of unit for 6months here. Simple trick is just to bypass the meter. After you've received your prepaid meter, contact your local electrician to help you by pass the meter

3 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by hollawaley2: 11:58am On Jan 03, 2018
tessytessy:
And you will be complaining that when will Nigeria ever get 24/7 hours power supply. With people like you, we will never achieve this.

Yo, am just a student...wha do you expect me to do?
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by mamadsquare: 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2018
tessytessy:
Waoh, Lucky you.

Again, depending on the area, tarriffs are different. An egbeda person would pay differently from Ikoyi.

In all, it is better than running your generator. They should improve power supply and make money to further improve power supply.

Wowza shocked shocked , how big is the house?
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by thorpido(m): 2:11pm On Jan 03, 2018
tessytessy:
Waoh, Lucky you.

For real?
You live in a factory?

1 Like

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by Agbaletu: 2:44pm On Jan 03, 2018
tessytessy:
Waoh, Lucky you.

70 - 100 Units just for a night?
Do you share a meter with a factory?

1 Like

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by tessytessy(f): 7:49pm On Jan 07, 2018
Agbaletu:

70 - 100 Units just for a night?
Do you share a meter with a factory?

Lol. Maybe i should cross check. Its a 5 room Duplex with BQ. Osborne Foreshore, Ikoyi. We have light almost 18-20hrs in a day.
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by otokx(m): 9:15pm On Jan 31, 2018
Interesting
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by ogoplus: 11:22pm On Jan 31, 2018
hollawaley2:

angry angry angry angry angry embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

not fair
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by LaudableXX: 4:42pm On Feb 01, 2018
mamadsquare:

And why would anybody, even use an electric cooker in this day and age, when gas cooker can be found everywhere? shocked You even have gas-powered washing machine these days, too.
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by LaudableXX: 4:44pm On Feb 01, 2018
tessytessy:
Lol. Maybe i should cross check. Its a 5 room Duplex with BQ. Osborne Foreshore, Ikoyi. We have light almost 18-20hrs in a day.
Madam, you must be putting all your ACs on, every night.....don't you have a solar-powered system installed? it could help cut down costs, in the long run!
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by Springz(f): 10:32am On Feb 02, 2018
hollawaley2:
That is very wrong. It's people like you that bring this country down.

6 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by MsFaith: 4:35pm On Feb 02, 2018
hollawaley2:

So you are stealing energy. I swear if them catch you, you will pay penalty and Loss of revenue through your nose. Abi you don't know it's illegal. Continue.

4 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by delpee(f): 4:53pm On Feb 02, 2018
hollawaley2:

This is so unfair! We complain of poor services yet people refuse to pay for the little that is available and have used. How do you expect the electricity company to break even and grow?

3 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by MIKOLOWISKA: 9:33pm On Feb 02, 2018
bongolistik:
And they are planning to install prepaid electricity meters in our location and people have been having mixed feelings about the move.

The thing there is that, the power supply in my location is fairly OK as compared to other neighbouring locations and many people around use airconditioner and electric cooker that helps to reduce the frequent visitation of gas plant for cooking gas and thereby saving you some reasonable amount of cash monthly.

Do you cook or warm water 24hrs
If you use ac why don't you want to pay for it
Fan and mud house de dia

Is the gas or kerosene free
Have you compared both
You go school so?

They're meant for ppl that can afford them
Not free loaders

Cos they had no business buying them in the first place

Averagely without prepaid, we know that a single room and self contained room dwellers in the neighbourhood pay between N1.5k to 3k monthly for their electricity bills, while using all those appliances in peace, but what if they now pay like 5k to 7k monthly using those appliances fullest with prepaid, that will surely be huge on people around considering the state of the country and people's salaries or what they get in their pay day jobs.
that means some unlucky ppl were subsidising your Lavish lifestyle
They were supposed to pay 200 a month yet were saying 1,5
Chicken roosting time

Now many people want to reject the prepaid meter but the DISCOs want to enforce it, won't that bring problems to the community between the two parties?
Pay for what you use
Criminal
Stop stealing electricity

What's your take or experience with prepaid meters for those of you that have been using it?
when I had no light I paid 2.5K for a year
While Neigbour were paying 5k per month that's 60k for what I paid 2.5k on estimated bill.

Do you still cook with electric cooker?
it's cheaper than gas still. Mathematics not sentiments should be your concern

3 Likes

Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by LaudableXX: 2:29am On Feb 04, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
it's cheaper than gas still. Mathematics not sentiments should be your concern

Cooking with electricity can never be cheaper than cooking with gas. Please do the maths. If you have NOT bypassed your meter, and you are using the correct tarriff, kindly check how much you pay per kilowatt of electricity used during cooking, and multiply it by your cooking time. Then compare it with gas. And spot the difference.
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:31am On Feb 04, 2018
LaudableXX:

Cooking with electricity can never be cheaper than cooking with gas. Please do the maths. If you have NOT bypassed your meter, and you are using the correct tarriff, kindly check how much you pay per kilowatt of electricity used during cooking, and multiply it by your cooking time. Then compare it with gas. And spot the difference.
OK since you have done the math continue cooking with gas
Fly wen no de hia word de folly dead bodi enter grave
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:35am On Feb 04, 2018
LaudableXX:

if only you will take your own advice
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by Tyche(m): 3:44pm On Feb 04, 2018
tessytessy:
Waoh, Lucky you.

Kindly give us details. Una house na aso rock complex?
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by LaudableXX: 3:05pm On Feb 05, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
OK since you have done the math continue cooking with gas
Fly wen no de hia word de folly dead bodi enter grave
Are you referring to yourself as a fly or as a dead bodi? Talk quick, so we can know how to address you....
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:02pm On Feb 05, 2018
LaudableXX:

Are you referring to yourself as a fly or as a deaf bodi? Talk quick, so we can know how to address you....
ah wetin concine me,since u have more money than sense,continue dashing it out.it's not by force for all of us to be frugal.some of us kuku have access to oyel money
Re: Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? by LaudableXX: 5:10pm On Feb 05, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
ah wetin concine me,since u have more money than sense,continue dashing it out.it's not by force for all of us to be frugal.some of us kuku have access to oyel money
Why do you sound so bitter? And who is dashing out money? Is it buying of gas for cooking, that you refer to as dashing out money?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Was Scammed By Selfpaiid On Nairaland. / How Do I Handle This Issue (please Read)!!! / How Much Is Too Much To Tell Your Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.