Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,705 members, 7,802,098 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not (3367 Views)

I'm Confused About The Grade Level I Was Given For A Federal Government Job / After Many Years Of Unemployment, I Finally Got A Job, BUT... / I'm Confused About The Grade Level I Was Given For A Federal Government Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 1:47pm On Nov 01, 2017
Hello everyone. I finished my NYSC in may this year and in July this Year I landed a part time job with a state polytechnic. The salary is just 40k and it is not regular. As I type this we r being owed two months salary but the job is not so stressful as I go to work once or twice a week, with the way the salary is being paid I can plan properly because u don't have an idea when u r getting the next salary also thing r not done properly in the school everybody's behaviour to work is very discouraging just because it's a government job. Lately, there have been rumours flying around that we will be converted to permanent staff by next year but we r not sure cos there r people in that school that have been working on part time basis for close to 10 years.

Yesterday I got a call from one of the companies I had applied to since may this year and the company is offering me 68k net pay although I don't know what my gross pay will be cos that r yet to send the offer letter with free and completely furnished accommodation, no transportation is involved but the job is a bit challenging based on the discussion I had with the expatriates I will be working with. It's a field work with a lot of challenges like I said but there is a lot to learn as it an opportunity for me to get all the experience I need to become a professional in my field of study. Also the job is fixed time which means it's on contract basis which will be renewed yearly or every six months.

Now the question is should I go for this new job or stay with the government job which I don't know if I will be confirmed soon or not.

Ur advice is greatly needed. Thanks
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by RoyalBlak007: 1:54pm On Nov 01, 2017
♤Go for the new job
♤✓

3 Likes

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 1:56pm On Nov 01, 2017
RoyalBlak007:

♤Go for the new job

♤✓
OK thanks

1 Like

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by Raintaker(m): 2:58pm On Nov 01, 2017
new job Usman.
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by rocoh(m): 3:08pm On Nov 01, 2017
New job Sir
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by Spylord48: 3:10pm On Nov 01, 2017
Please you can swap the new job with me if you don't need it... I can immediately if you are ready .

4 Likes

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 3:28pm On Nov 01, 2017
Spylord48:
Please you can swap the new job with me if you don't need it...
I can immediately if you are ready .
come and carry it
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by Spylord48: 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:
come and carry it
where is the location.

1 Like

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by chloride6: 3:51pm On Nov 01, 2017
If that 40k was steady, I'll ask you to stay with the 40k.

But it's not, so go but save like crazy.

You only have a job for the six months.

6 Likes

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2017
chloride6:
If that 40k was steady, I'll ask you to stay with the 40k.

But it's not, so go but save like crazy.

You only have a job for the six months.
Another reason I think I should go for the new one is that the position I will be fill doesn't really exist much in this part of the world and at some point on the job I may become indispensable
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2017
Spylord48:
where is the location.
It's in heaven.
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by WhiteLavender(f): 4:06pm On Nov 01, 2017
Is it possible to keep both jobs since you said the former is a part time government job? if it's not possible to combine both, then the new one should be it.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by chloride6: 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:
Another reason I think I should go for the new one is that the position I will be fill doesn't really exist much in this part of the world and at some point on the job I may become indispensable

I don't know the job and it's job description but if it pays 68k, it's probably not an indispensable position. Sorry

Nobody is indispensable, nobody.

But all roads lead to the new job, that's for sure.

Have a swell time.

8 Likes

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 4:20pm On Nov 01, 2017
chloride6:

I don't know the job and it's job description but if it pays 68k, it's probably not an indispensable position. Sorry

Have a swell time.
the reason I said I'm indispensable is because I will undergo training for close to a year and I will working with expatriates and they assured me that they could not find anyone in Nigeria with such experience and that they wouldn't not be ready to let go of someone they have invested so much in and that the expatriates r just going to be here for a while to set up the structure after which they will leave and consequently we will take up their positions.
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by Chuksmonika(m): 4:35pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:
Hello everyone. I finished my NYSC in may this year and in July this Year I landed a part time job with a state polytechnic. The salary is just 40k and it is not regular. As I type this we r being owed two months salary but the job is not so stressful as I go to work once or twice a week, with the way the salary is being paid I can plan properly because u don't have an idea when u r getting the next salary also thing r not done properly in the school everybody's behaviour to work is very discouraging just because it's a government job. Lately, there have been rumours flying around that we will be converted to permanent staff by next year but we r not sure cos there r people in that school that have been working on part time basis for close to 10 years.

Yesterday I got a call from one of the companies I had applied to since may this year and the company is offering me 68k net pay although I don't know what my gross pay will be cos that r yet to send the offer letter with free and completely furnished accommodation, no transportation is involved but the job is a bit challenging based on the discussion I had with the expatriates I will be working with. It's a field work with a lot of challenges like I said but there is a lot to learn as it an opportunity for me to get all the experience I need to become a professional in my field of study. Also the job is fixed time which means it's on contract basis which will be renewed yearly or every six months.

Now the question is should I go for this new job or stay with the government job which I don't know if I will be confirmed soon or not.

if u get the new job,go for it,i dnt like the idea of employers owning employees

2 Likes

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 4:43pm On Nov 01, 2017
Chuksmonika:
if u get the new job,go for it,i dnt like the idea of employers owning employees

Thanks Jare. I appreciate
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by johnime: 4:44pm On Nov 01, 2017
I hate all these contract jobs in Nigeria, it to save and reduce cost
chloride6:

Have a swell time.
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by ev4real(m): 4:46pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:
the reason I said I'm indispensable is because I will undergo training for close to a year and I will working with expatriates and they assured me that they could not find anyone in Nigeria with such experience and that they wouldn't not be ready to let go of someone they have invested so much in and that the expatriates r just going to be here for a while to set up the structure after which they will leave and consequently we will take up their positions.
Go for the new job else you might regret it later. If i may ask how much are the permanent staff paid in ur current place of work ?
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by CallofDuty(m): 4:57pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:
become very valuable is the phrase man and not become indispensable..in this life, no matter the height u have reached or the skill or knowledge u think u possess..brother I tell you, if u are no where to be found 2moro..you will be replaced immediately and in some cases; with a more competent person..go for the new job man..u gona learn a lot..best of luck.

1 Like

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by chloride6: 4:59pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:

Oil companies train their workers a lot but they get the axe a lot
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 5:36pm On Nov 01, 2017
CallofDuty:
become very valuable is the phrase man and not become indispensable..in this life, no matter the height u have reached or the skill or knowledge u think u possess..brother I tell you, if u are no where to be found 2moro..you will be replaced immediately and in some cases; with a more competent person..go for the new job man..u gona learn a lot..best of luck.
OK thanks I've taken the correction.
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 5:39pm On Nov 01, 2017
ev4real:

Go for the new job else you might regret it later. If i may ask how much are the permanent staff paid in ur current place of work ?
like I said it's a Govt job and with ur degree u get paid around 70k but with they way they owe salaries it's really discouraging although u r entitled to some allowances but the present government in my state is always trying to avoid paying those allowances.
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by benzion72(m): 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2017
Is the present job a federal job or state job. If it is state are you from the state.

You mentioned expatrate is it India/lebanese/Chinko or American or British the former are exploiters why the latter can be of help.

The question to ask on a carrier is what I am I becoming on this job. On your current job if you love academics you can go for your Msc and Phd you will even be encourage to do so while in a private organization it is not possible if your net is N68k Monday to Saturday it does not worth it

On the new job can you become executive director if you factor in your age and do you have share holders that you can front for, and represent their interest in the next few years.

If you consider all these you should be able to make enlighten choice lucky you
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by CircleOfWilis: 7:50pm On Nov 01, 2017
That ur new job looks like scam. A bird in hand is...

1 Like

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by usman3688(m): 8:09pm On Nov 01, 2017
CircleOfWilis:
That ur new job looks like scam. A bird in hand is...
It's not a scam, I've gone there for interview and I was interviewed by the expatriates and their HR. It a subsidiary of Flour Mills Of Nigeria and it was commissioned by the president in may last year.
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by CircleOfWilis: 8:27pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:
It's not a scam, I've gone there for interview and I was interviewed by the expatriates and their HR. It a subsidiary of Flour Mills Of Nigeria and it was commissioned by the president in may last year.
ok , in that case go for it...but ensure e enter hand before quitting
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by omolorlarh: 8:31pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:

New job
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by wristbangle: 8:38pm On Nov 01, 2017
Don't get too comfortable. Go for the new job bro.
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by Lomprico2: 9:30pm On Nov 01, 2017
Lazy punk! angry
Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by aieromon(m): 10:01pm On Nov 01, 2017
usman3688:

What type of experience do you have that they couldn't find in Nigeria?

They were simply looking for cheap labor and they've gotten it. I suggest you accept the new job and learn all you can while you're at it.

1 Like

Re: I Just Got A New Job But I'm Confused Whether To Go For It Or Not by mokset123: 11:20pm On Nov 01, 2017
Go for the new job

(1) (2) (Reply)

Engineering Vacancy At Spencer Ogden / Ongoing Recruitment At Legend Hotel Lagos Airport (hilton Worldwide) / Download NLNG Aptitude Test Past Questions Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.