Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help (25294 Views)

Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss / My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 02, 2017
Work on yourself
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by brightgreat(m): 7:16pm On Nov 02, 2017
Learn to ask your colleagues to help you re-read mails before you click on the send button

1 Like

Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by FrankGiel: 7:18pm On Nov 02, 2017
COdeGenesis:
Help -one Of My Bosses Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again

I am currently in deep shit. I happen to work as an analyst with the overall manager of a company in Kaduna . I am a data guy and not really a Manger,not interested in being one either. Today, We needed information from the branch managers,3 of them to be precise. I was tasked with
ensuring they send the information on time.

I got a mail from the Regional office threatening to carry out disciplinary action if they didnt send the information. From the mail I got to find out our State is the only one that hasnt sent theirs.

So I sent a reminder to the Branch Managers requesting urgently for the said inputs, I told them the delay was becoming quite embarassing to the state and we need to send this information out urgently.

To my surprise a branch manager called me and clearly told me I shouldnt send him such mails again, he said I insulted his office and I can tell my boss what he said.

Fellas, Nairalanders, this is frustrating, i know I have issues with the way I dish out mails and I always sound too straight forward.

I feel like resigning, maybe it's not really my thing. I need advice on how to handle this issue before they probably gang up against me.

Someone help me push to FP
Its true diplomacy is required in dealing with ur boss. The regional office cannot punish u if the fault is from the branch managers.. All u need to do, is to send a normal reminder, telling them that their delay is slowing the process. If the branch manager sees this as rude, to hell with him.. He has no power to sack U.. U will need this email thread as ur defense if are queried, which is more important..
Don't appear rude in ur email nevertheless, cause the Buck doesn't stop at ur table.. Cheers
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 02, 2017
Raphael007:
Hello good day OP, I guess you where to direct and since you know he is your boss you probably should have chosen your words carefully, and also hit the nail on the head without sounding rude. My advice write him a short mail and apologize for the way you addresed the first mail that you where under alot of stress, Do not say pressure as that is one of those things that is supposed to make you better even in decision making that's one of the reason you where employed anyways.
WhAt he said
listen to my songs @ http://my.notjustok.com/p/oracle
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by slimshade: 7:19pm On Nov 02, 2017
you need a lot of emotional intelligence here,learn how to manage your bosses.acquiring mangement skill will help you a lot.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by SlayQueenSlayer(m): 7:19pm On Nov 02, 2017
Why is everyone asking him to apologise? Ass lickers and timid people everywhere. Just be good at what you do and you will be fine. Once I'm right, even the MD won't be spared my straight up engagement.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by Patokeikem: 7:20pm On Nov 02, 2017
What You Cant Change Physically, You Can Change It On Your Knees. Talk To God.
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by miqos02(m): 7:20pm On Nov 02, 2017
don4real18:
Apologize
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by brizzybrizzz(m): 7:22pm On Nov 02, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
lol... Tell him fvck you!!

Who do Bosses think they are?

I am always in hot argument with my line manager, that he had to go inform the MD. I was served a query, and I practically stated that I wasn't sorry for my action!!

You know what? Give me his number... I can tell him fvck you on your behalf.
if you know what's good for you don't listen to this guy n keep your job o better still apologize, shey na under this harsh nigerian climate you want to be resigning
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by crisisexpert321(m): 7:23pm On Nov 02, 2017
Your mail was rude, simple. He meant what he said if you report to higher authority they will support him. Choose your words carefully when reporting to seniors or your manager. Sms or text would have been appropriate as when you go into mail you make things so official and it can escalate. Learn when to use mail.

It's well find a way of apologising.
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by sucess001(m): 7:24pm On Nov 02, 2017
seems you sounded rude.

you should have copied your boss in the email so you wont be said to be acting alone...

ignore the threatening email....

soothe things out with him in person...

dont cow...else you will be bullied in future...
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by stagger: 7:26pm On Nov 02, 2017
"The delay is becoming quite embarrassing to the state..."

Choicy words!

In other words, your boss is the one who is becoming an embarrassment to the state. What were you thinking?
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by santicruz: 7:26pm On Nov 02, 2017
The manager is not HR, ur doing ur job, just call he and apologise to him that you were under pressure , its on the job, nothing is happening.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by mokt(m): 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2017
COdeGenesis:

I am currently in deep shit. I happen to work as an analyst with the overall manager of a company in Kaduna . I am a data guy and not really a Manger,not interested in being one either. Today, We needed information from the branch managers,3 of them to be precise. I was tasked with

I got a mail from the Regional office threatening to carry out disciplinary action if they didnt send the information. From the mail I got to find out our State is the only one that hasnt sent theirs.

So I sent a reminder to the Branch Managers requesting urgently for the said inputs, I told them the delay was becoming quite embarassing to the state and we need to send this information out urgently.

To my surprise a branch manager called me and clearly told me I shouldnt send him such mails again, he said I insulted his office and I can tell my boss what he said.

Fellas, Nairalanders, this is frustrating, i know I have issues with the way I dish out mails and I always sound too straight forward.

I feel like resigning, maybe it's not really my thing. I need advice on how to handle this issue before they probably gang up against me.

Next time, call to remind the person. You can even stay on d phone while the person replies your mail. You can as well go see the person in his/her office. Stay there till they send the mail, personally I don't like doing this. It's just a typical Nigerian behaviour at work to delay, I used to send a lot of mails too but if I wana be mean sometimes, one mail is enough I believe it's everyone's duty to read and respond to their mails. Don't resign bro, it's part of the job.
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by ridgeman: 7:32pm On Nov 02, 2017
Send him a polite email reminder cc your overall company manager(the dude who delegated the task to you) and stand your ground....

If he's as dumb as I suspect he will respond with a stinker forgetting that your overall boss is copied...

Good luck
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by KingsleyCEO: 7:35pm On Nov 02, 2017
You must be careful when relating between two super power (bosses) if not you will incur wrath and neither will be willing to save you. And your choice of word is also very keen. I have been told by my regional manager to tell my immediate boss stuff that I am not too comfortable with but I kept it to myself only for my RM to still come around to ask my BM if I delivered such and BM turned to me and I simply said I forgot to pass the message. Right there and then the RM passed his message after which my BM understood the reason I forgot.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by samsam2019: 7:36pm On Nov 02, 2017
Raphael007:
Hello good day OP, I guess you where to direct and since you know he is your boss you probably should have chosen your words carefully, and also hit the nail on the head without sounding rude. My advice write him a short mail and apologize for the way you addresed the first mail that you where under alot of stress, Do not say pressure as that is one of those things that is supposed to make you better even in decision making that's one of the reason you where employed anyways.
this is all you need
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 02, 2017
Raphael007:

Very correct. Op you wrote the mail like a superior and not a junior staff you don't write mail saying your superiors are embarrassing. Don't be under pressure if anything happens you won't face any punishment cause the delay is from your boss of you carry work for head na hypertension you go get always learn how to be calm highest na query you go geg
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by smalls001: 7:40pm On Nov 02, 2017
Mr man your story is half baked. Firstly, was your manager copied in the initial mail, if yes then there was no need to send him a reminder. Secondly, if you're in the same office building, then you could have easily walked to his office and raise it directly with him as a reminder rather than email. Lastly, he said 'don't send SUCH mails' and not you shouldn't send he mails as you indicated. Both have two separate interpretations.
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by Alkanoicacid(m): 7:43pm On Nov 02, 2017
[quote author=lilfreezy post=62013332]Nairaland topics
"My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help! "
" My wife said i don't give her good orgasm, help!" [/quote
grin[quote author=lilfreezy post=62013332]Nairaland topics
"My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help! "
" My wife said i don't give her good orgasm, help!" [/quote
Walai U dey crase
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by adanny01(m): 7:44pm On Nov 02, 2017
COdeGenesis:

It seems your mail sounded offensive. You are lucky the branch manager isnt sure if you or your boss wrote the mail. Thats why he said you can tell you your boss what he said.

Find a way other than an email to apologize.

Note: dont dare tell your boss, he may be angry with you or cause a rift between the both bosses and you know tbe saying, "when 2 elephants fight, the grass suffers".

Lastly, learn to chose your words carefully especially with regards to bosses.

My former office had this rule, all outgoing mails are saved to draft, the Manager skims through and gives you go ahead to send, even if the mail bears your name or title. That way the manager is in the picture of what was sent and how to defend himself or the company. He also highlighted any word, sentence or paragraph he wants you to either edit or delete. Because he is an expatriate and English is not his 1st language, we proof read his own official mail he is sending on be behalf of the company or his title and also correct and highlight what we have changed but try as much as possible not to change the context of what he is transmitting.

Emails are tricky and official language can easily fall either side of the line between respect and disrespect.

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by delors(m): 7:45pm On Nov 02, 2017
You probably used words that sounded insurordinating. If you used words or exoressions like 'embarrassing, 'urgently', 'why the delay?', then u overstepped if u sent that to ur superiors. You can't defend it. Emails could misrepresent in so many ways.

Anyways, it's a learning one for u. Always think twice and re read your emails (even if it is just 'thanks') before hitting the send button.

Way forward, call him and apologize in a friendly manner to show your innocence. And after u guys turn it to a friendly conversation and apologies accepted kind of thing, tell him u would send another email to apologize and clarify your previous email. See his reaction.

Good luck.
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 02, 2017
COdeGenesis:

Keep sending the emails m record his calls wen he calls wen he calls to threaten u and save any text/whatsapp messages he sends.
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by DesireBenjamin: 7:53pm On Nov 02, 2017
aktolly54:
Why not call them each to remind them in a friendly way and respectful manner instead of mail

This would've been an option but in an office, mails are very important for future references, he could call them and yet they forget to send the report then when it becomes a problem they could deny he called them and even say they expected a mail but ddnt get none. Mailing them and calling alongside with a nice approach to inform them of the mail is best tho.
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by sunbbo(m): 7:53pm On Nov 02, 2017
Op leave the dude alone, he's not the one paying your salary.. Continue doing your job deligently.

Apply For Quest Oil And Engineering Services Fresh Job Recruitment (4 Positions)

Quest Oil and Engineering Services Limited is a value-driven company offering full-service in oil and gas, as well as engineering service. We offer engineering, design, procurement, steel and fabrication services as well as provide customized integrated services specific to clients, to include cost-effective delivery. Quest Oil and Engineering Services Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (4 Positions) as follows;

1.) Technical/Service Manager

Click Here To View Details

2.) Part Sales Officer

3.) Mechanical and Electrical Generator Technician

4.) Sales Representative

Application Closing Date:11th November, 2017

Source:http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2017/10/27/quest-oil-engineering-services-limited-fresh-job-recruitment-4-positions/
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by olaolaking: 7:55pm On Nov 02, 2017
NairaSand:
Some of us have been there..... cheesy cheesy

Email and diplomacy. A less touted but significant part of office politics.

You want to email a Boss and lick his ass, while not letting the guy(s) in copy of the email know that you are a complete asshole licker cheesy cheesy

I can assume your email was offensive and disrespectful. There is a way you call people out in a subtle and gentle manner.....learn it, it will help you wink
You are off point sir. The op want a solution/suggestion to solve the current problem.
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by bigpicture001: 7:57pm On Nov 02, 2017
no oooo..no one shld tell him any idea..plz resign..nd join me in the labour market..by the tym,gf,family etc cry in u for assist and ur gf predictably run away..u ni go com here they do shakara with work again...mk una leave..please. boss our advice is dt u resign as if na person they tell u Wetin u dey chop..
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by dapotemi: 8:03pm On Nov 02, 2017
Blitz888:

You are spot on... OP should learn to do more of calls than mails.. People react differently to both cos of their implications that differ in impact.

He's not spot on! Don't encourage verbal communication in a formal workplace; you need emails for reference purposes, most especially for those "superior" that will come and say "i was not told" and you don't have evidence to prove anything, just because it was a phone call! I have been there before, don't do it. Just try and be subtle and respectful, cautious in your mails and you will be fine.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by Matini24(m): 8:07pm On Nov 02, 2017
just apologise to ur boss
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by ofuonyebi: 8:07pm On Nov 02, 2017
there is better solution to a mans problem than knowing that u were wrong!

send a mail of apology to him 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7...he's a human being...he will think again that afterall he's not God

but if he pardons, then cut your coat according to ur size!
Re: My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help by olabrad: 8:10pm On Nov 02, 2017
COdeGenesis:

Everybody just bring stupid things to nairaland.symptoms of foolishness and immaturity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dr Simi Sola Of NHS Resigns After 20 Years / How Much Are You Making As An Internet Content Creator? / Between Ibinabo Fiberesima And The State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.