Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,244 members, 7,780,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:24 PM

Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver (10620 Views)

Office Politics And Rat Race - A School As A Case Study / How Do I Deal With Office Politics? / 7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by healthproblemo: 10:37pm On Nov 03, 2017
The summary of it is,
I work as an account officer of an average size company, and part of my job is being responsible for the company's mobiles (vehicles, drivers, and day to day spendings)

Now the problem is one of the drivers has decided to take advantage of my ignorance on motor mechanicals to extort money from the company. This he does by constantly bringing different fault on the company vehicles he drives. The logic is he arrange with the mechanics we work with so they give him a share of every bill they give to the company as the alleged repair. (Meanwhile himself was a mechanic before turning driver)

It is a major issue because it is becoming unbecoming, for a company that find it difficult to spend let say 10k then the driver and mechanic constantly call like 50k for different repairs, then making me to look incapable of minimizing expenses.

Now to make matters worse, he is one of the oldest staff and well trusted that the last time someone try to bring up a dishonesty matter again him, the person was crucified (technically) by the 'owner' of the company.

I had bent quite a number of very stubborn subordinate in time past, but this one is giving me serious concern coupled with the fact that I made a mistake one time which he knows about.

Please what can I do

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 03, 2017
What was your mistake?

He's blackmailing you already

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Funbii(m): 7:24am On Nov 05, 2017
Follow loot the money undecided undecided

7 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by izubairu(m): 7:24am On Nov 05, 2017
2nd to comment
Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by jrotiweteku: 7:24am On Nov 05, 2017
we press, impress and express

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by gohzieh(m): 7:24am On Nov 05, 2017
he is using a mistake as a ransom for his scrupulous act. Bro just get tangible facts with photos or receipts and get him fired.
he will like to use your mistake to tackle back. Now what if an auditor comes around and he asks you.'what did you do when you found out all this?' Your reply may be ****. You will be tagged a theif or abetting him to steal from the company. if you love your job do away with him

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by yomalex(m): 7:25am On Nov 05, 2017
wow
Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by nony43(m): 7:25am On Nov 05, 2017
Change the mechanic and the driver

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by babablogger: 7:26am On Nov 05, 2017
Advice the company to change mechanic

17 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 05, 2017
Are you in Lagos?
Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by EYIBLESSN(m): 7:26am On Nov 05, 2017
Explain to the CEO simple.

Save yourself from unnecessary headache.

14 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by meforyou1(m): 7:26am On Nov 05, 2017
izubairu:
2nd to comment
so u should be given award or what?

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Originalsly: 7:26am On Nov 05, 2017
Yeah!....let's first hear about the little mistake so we can get the whole picture.

6 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Kemikay1: 7:27am On Nov 05, 2017
2thgs.. you can expose him and let him expose you and both of u will be even, corrections "might" be made Nd like that the company will move forward...
Or u can stay in your cowardice... in which case...keep kwait and dont complain
Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by osazsky(m): 7:27am On Nov 05, 2017
na 10.5 g some people dey use.fct but Wenger would have used Sanchez instead of ozil,now c how e make us lose this match

2 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Hector09(m): 7:27am On Nov 05, 2017
Bro but the money aint urs, allow him to extort money since the money is not urs
Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by pelumi111: 7:27am On Nov 05, 2017
make a plan and pray he falls for it.... or better still leave him alone since he also have your little secret too better still MIND YOUR Business moreover you are just an employee
Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by codew0rks(m): 7:28am On Nov 05, 2017
Make arrangement for another mechanic, do not inform him(driver) that you are bringing another mechanic to check the car. Another approach is set him up

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by sunbbo(m): 7:28am On Nov 05, 2017
Anytime he tells you that his car is fault, ask him what the problem is and take the car to another mechanic by yourself or by another driver.

Apply for Dangote Group Latest Job Recruitment (6 Positions)

The Dangote Group is a diversified and fully integrated conglomerate with interests across a range of sectors in Nigeria and Africa. Current interests include Cement, Sugar, Flour, Salt, Pasta, Beverages, Noodles, Poly Products, Transportation and real estate with new initiatives in the Oil and Gas, Telecommunication, Fertilizer and Steel sector of the economy. Dangote Group Latest Job Recruitment (6 Positions)

1.) Management Information System Support Officer

Click Here To View Details

2.) Journal Processing Officer 

3.) Customer Fleet Operations Officer

4.) Management Reporting Analyst

5.) Field Support Engineer - Calabar

6.) Field Support Engineer - Lagos

Application Closing Date: Not Specified

Source: http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2017/11/03/dangote-group-latest-job-recruitment-6-positions/

5 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by rawpadgin(m): 7:28am On Nov 05, 2017
Funbii:
Follow loot the money undecided undecided
imagine

7 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by chigoizie7(m): 7:29am On Nov 05, 2017
The guy is already blackmailing u. Now look at what u will do.

Go on a search, look for a mechanic.

Make a proposal to the new mechanic. Tell him that ur company is looking for official mechanic. That he is on a test. Put it in writing to make it look serious. Then leave the car with him to detect the fault. And then tell u how much it will cost to repair it.

From there, u can know what to do. U can sought for two or more mechanics for this purpose. If u had established ur facts, then, confront the boss with evidence.

13 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by izubairu(m): 7:29am On Nov 05, 2017
meforyou1:
so u should be given award or what?
Ofcourse
Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by saraki2019(m): 7:29am On Nov 05, 2017
invite other mechanics,
don't use a mechanic he brought
Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Cutehector(m): 7:29am On Nov 05, 2017
Inform the CEO, at least you have warned him ..

3 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Johntitus: 7:29am On Nov 05, 2017
This kinda people are hell-bent on what they do or want. Be careful bro. BTW I'm listening to Nate Ruess track, ''nothing without love''. I'm blushing right now!

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by onadana: 7:29am On Nov 05, 2017
Some people sef. You made a mistake and he knows yet you are still complaining about him.He is well trusted by the company owner wetin come be your own.Am sure if you dey follow chop you won't disturb us this beautiful Sunday morning.

5 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:30am On Nov 05, 2017
It's simple na.

Let him bring fault,

Call another mechanic, without his knowledge to check and confirm...

Or, set up a mini department under you, without the motive of incriment in your salary, call it procurement. When he brings fault, go confirm the price elsewhere and buy the part elsewhere.

6 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 05, 2017
@healthproblemo , the scenario you described is not unexpected in our corrupt society. Our hospital drivers have a similar , if not worse attitude. Moreso i work in the civil service.
Overtime, you or the head of admin has to get acquainted with the costs and procedures of your vehicles and have a dedicated mechanic.
When I oversaw the hospital drivers and vehicles, ofcus I knew the running cost but I gave a little something extra , letting them know that I has a good understanding of everything but the extras was for them. Then I made my mechanic the official mechanic for the hospital. In that way, you can regulate the expenditures.
MHO

2 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by murchurat(m): 7:30am On Nov 05, 2017
The best u can do is to get trusted mechanic who can do the job without ur driver consent and make sure they don’t get along.

2 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:31am On Nov 05, 2017
Use a retainer for vehicle maintenance.

By this i mean a registered company.

Audit the accounts periodically, with receipts compared with duplicates held by the company.

Get an account book for each vehicle, and convince Management to assign specific vehicles to drivers. If that ain't possible, then print a request form for them to fill, write their names and sign.

Be diligent about entering records and reconciliation of accounts. Back up your records online so as to avoid "missing" files. Some of these drivers have one "oga" backing them up!

No excuses! You are doing your job well. Dasall!

You must notice trends in so-called "breakdowns".

Calmly report anomalies to Management

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by FarahAideed: 7:31am On Nov 05, 2017
Hector09:
Bro but the money aint urs, allow him to extort money since the money is not urs

Typical shallow Nigerian , Do you realize such theft can put pressure on a small company and eventually bankrupt it

15 Likes

Re: Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver by Phrankin(m): 7:32am On Nov 05, 2017
That's the problem with some business owners, they trust their "loyal" employees too much that they fail to listen to the vioce of reason. Normally, I would take steps to get him fired. But in the case of the oga patapata being in the habit of firing the firerer, the firerer should befriend the fireree and find a way to grab his own company cake. Who doesn't like cake?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees / Exxonmobil Workers Begin Three-day Warning Strike / The Most Lucrative Medical Specialty In The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.