Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,602 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married (1181 Views)

Can A Catholic Priest Be A Best Man? / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / Shocking: Pope Requests Roman Catholic Priest Be Given Right To Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by morereb10: 9:44am On Nov 04, 2017
Breaking News: Pope Francis Requests That Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married

To some people, this may not have come as a surprise because if you are following the papacy statements and antics, you would have known that it is just a matter of time, the celibacy in Catholic churches will be up for debate. Well, that time is upon us.

The celibacy is one of the most important doctrine in Catholicism and also the most controversial, since it it this particular doctrine that pushes must of the roman catholic priest out from the Catholicism. Pope Francis has however requested that Roman Catholic priests be given the right to get married.

The request applies to priests in Brazil, and is on the agenda for an upcoming synod (church council) in the Amazon region. The controversial move would address the critical shortage of men joining the priesthood – but is likely to drive divisions through the church by enraging conservative factions.

A small number of married Roman Catholic priests already exist, including previously married Anglican vicars who have joined the church. A request to lift the ban on marriage was made by Brazilian bishop Cardinal Claudio Hummes, who reportedly asked the Pope to consider ‘viri probati’, meaning married of great faith, as priests.

Derry priest Father Paddy O’Kane suggested that Pope Francis may move to end celibacy earlier this month, saying there was support amongst the church for the idea. Fr O’Kane cited Brazilian liberation theologian Leonardo Boff, who said: “The Brazilian bishops, especially the pope’s own personal friend Cardinal Claudio Hummes, have expressly requested Pope Francis to enable married priest in Brazil to return to pastoral ministry.

“I have recently heard that the pope wants to fulfil this request – as an experimental, preliminary phase for the moment confined to Brazil.” Earlier this year the Pope told Die Zeit newspaper: ‘We must consider if ‘viri probati’ is a possibility. Then we must determine what tasks they can perform, for example, in remote communities.’

Francis and his predecessor Benedict XVI have both stated that celibacy is not a matter of inflexible church dogma unlike, and could be debated.

Source: EX Press

More @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/11/breaking-news-pope-francis-requests.html

cc lalasticlala mynd44 missyb3

Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by AgroLogistics: 9:46am On Nov 04, 2017
Nice.. We are getting there.!
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by chineduemmao: 9:52am On Nov 04, 2017
If this happens i will leave the catholic church and quit religion.
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by danieljessy: 9:52am On Nov 04, 2017
I concur Cus konji na bastard o grin
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by Izonpikin: 9:52am On Nov 04, 2017
Good move..
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by Spexo001(m): 10:01am On Nov 04, 2017
Long overdue
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by Oledia(m): 10:08am On Nov 04, 2017
It is a reasonable proposal. They need to re-examine some of their doctrines/dogmas.
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by seunmsg(m): 10:10am On Nov 04, 2017
I am not a catholic but this decision is long overdue. It will save the church lots of stress bad publication. Priest should be able to choose whether they want to be celibate or not without losing their priesthood.
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by Nutase: 10:15am On Nov 04, 2017
That will be nice.
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by jdluv(f): 10:23am On Nov 04, 2017
maybe married but without children as long as they in service like jehovah witnesses volunteers
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by torres89: 10:26am On Nov 04, 2017
chineduemmao:

am a born Catholic

but I don't think I would quit if priest are allowed to marry...
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by nerodenero: 10:32am On Nov 04, 2017
Jesus isn't interested in the denomination you attend and it doesn't guarantee salvation.
chineduemmao:
Konji rules...gringringrin. You are not a Priest and you don't know what they go through. Trust me, the Catholic church won't miss you when you are gonegrincheesycheesy.
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by chineduemmao: 11:18am On Nov 04, 2017
torres89:

am a born Catholic

but I don't think I would quit if priest are allowed to marry...

this is one aspect of catholism that should be untouchable it's one aspect that make me feel special and lucky of being a catholic. The devil is trying to tamper with the church's dynamic and trust me if it succeds, the entire society will go down with it. One guy told me "...if not dat priests do not marry, seminary schools would be filled to d brim even him will b dere..." Ask urself after dis wat next? oh priests should be allowed to marry "for love" bang!!! gay marriage in priesthood. Brazil is running short of priests and u think its because priests don't marry? lol... no its not. If it is, den how would allowing dem marry solve de pro? oh... our churches wil be filled with mediocres and unserious clergies and u know wat next. If it happens, i will go into full agnostic mode ruled by morality forgiveness and love, basics of life.
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by Paulscholari(m): 11:42am On Nov 04, 2017
chineduemmao:
this is one aspect of catholism that should be untouchable it's one aspect that make me feel special and lucky of being a catholic. The devil is trying to tamper with the church's dynamic and trust me if it succeds, the entire society will go down with it. One guy told me "...if not dat priests do not marry, seminary schools would be filled to d brim even him will b dere..." Ask urself after dis wat next? oh priests should be allowed to marry "for love" bang!!! gay marriage in priesthood. Brazil is running short of priests and u think its because priests don't marry? lol... no its not. If it is, den how would allowing dem marry solve de pro? oh... our churches wil be filled with mediocres and unserious clergies and u know wat next. If it happens, i will go into full agnostic mode ruled by morality forgiveness and love, basics of life.
it's better than the hypocritical living and double life of many of them that have secret wives and children in villages, and even rape young Altar boys and still be pretending to be celibate. Jesus said it, it's not by force to be celibate, if you can't hold it go and marry, there is no sin in it. Whether you leave or not, the church will still stand and grow, it's the Lord's church and its dependent on Him.
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by chineduemmao: 2:41pm On Nov 04, 2017
Paulscholari:
it's better than the hypocritical living and double life of many of them that have secret wives and children in villages, and even rape young Altar boys and still be pretending to be celibate. Jesus said it, it's not by force to be celibate, if you can't hold it go and marry, there is no sin in it. Whether you leave or not, the church will still stand and grow, it's the Lord's church and its dependent on Him.
hello, am old enough to spot a childish comment.

#advice

Be carefull what you say over the internet, you don't know 'Who'. you may be called to prove what you just alleged.

EDIT THE BOLDED PLEASE!!!
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by Paulscholari(m): 11:58am On Nov 08, 2017
chineduemmao:

#advice

Be carefull what you say over the internet, you don't know 'Who'. you may be called to prove what you just alleged.

hahaha, old fool, how old are you, yet you can't see beyond your nose, you should be remanded in a rehabilitation center. Small pikin calling himself old. It seems you want me to tell you the history, tales and woes that prevails in your church.
Re: Pope Francis Request That Roman Catholic Priest Be Given The Right To Be Married by Emmanystone: 3:46pm On Nov 08, 2017
chineduemmao:

#advice

If only you know how many pregnancies or unborn babies the Catholic Church kills everyday to keep the Nuns and Fathers childless.

There's nothing godly about the priesthood.

(1) (Reply)

3 Basic Steps To Practice Igbo Spirituality / Ja Funmi - Sunny Ade / Catholic Choir Is Robbed Of First Position In First Interdenominational Choir Co

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.