Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,454 members, 7,801,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) (19310 Views)

Toyota Camry Not Revving/raising When Accelerate On Park. / Corolla 09 Rpm High On Park / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by chucksbadt(m): 2:50pm On Nov 04, 2017
Hello guys, out of my curiosity, I'll like to ask;

For Automatic cars, it's impossible for the car to roll when the gear is on Park(P), still i observe some people engage their handbrake while the car is on P.

As for me, the only time i use my handbrake for Automatic cars is while I'm on traffic and i want to relax my foot, i prefer to use the Neutral(N) gear (because it's more closer to D for a quick start) when I'm on a hilly road to prevent the car from rolling

What do you guys think

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by blackylola(m): 2:59pm On Nov 04, 2017
chucksbadt:

For Automatic cars, it's impossible for the car to roll when the gear is on Park(P), still i observe some people engage their handbrake while the car is on P.

As for me, the only time i use my handbrake for Automatic cars is while I'm on traffic and i want to relax my foot, i prefer to use the Neutral(N) gear (because it's more closer to D for a quick start) when I'm on a hilly road to prevent the car from rolling

What do you guys think
hand brake is more active than P, parking will only hold the front wheels

22 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by chucksbadt(m): 3:35pm On Nov 04, 2017
blackylola:
hand brake is more active than P, parking will only hold the front wheels

Please gimme one instance when a car will roll while the front wheels are locked down

39 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Godwinibro(m): 3:38pm On Nov 04, 2017
Put your car in Park (P) and try to jack the car.. Come back and tell us your observations

32 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by chucksbadt(m): 4:32pm On Nov 04, 2017
Godwinibro:
Put your car in Park (P) and try to jack the car.. Come back and tell us your observations

Bro where i come from, handbrake or not
Whenever we want to jack the car we must put stone behind the back tire first......so that can't be a criteria

77 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by chucksbadt(m): 8:26pm On Nov 04, 2017
Said it all
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by dokiOloye(m): 9:22pm On Nov 04, 2017
Its not good to let d weight of d car rest on the transmission .
Not healthy for d transmission,especially automatic transmissions.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by feelme3(m): 10:52pm On Nov 04, 2017
chucksbadt:

Whenever we want to jack the car we must put stone behind the back tire first......so that can't be a criteria

chucksbadt:

Please gimme one instance when a car will roll while the front wheels are locked down

Obviously, dude isn't ready to take any other opinion outside what he knows. Just Google "Use of hand brake in auto transmission" and debate there.

35 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 04, 2017
chucksbadt:

What do you guys think

Ignorance. Handbrake is more useful than u think. Have u ever wondered why it is difficult to engage ur grear while u are parked on a slope? Ha ha u think it's normal and harmless for u to be engaging ur gear with force and a loud bang? That is because the transmission is resting on the slope, it can wear ur transmission faster. The right way to park is first engage ur handbrake while ur foot is on the foot brake. Then put ur car in park. That way the handbrake stops the car from rolling and the transmission will be free. So that when u want to get ur car out of park it will be so easy without that loud bang.

Also useful when u parallel park on a very steel slope, let's say a car is parked closely behind u. When u want to move forward, on engaging drive, u would want to take ur foot off the brake to accelerate, ur car might back up before going forward due to the steep slope thereby hitting the car behind u. But with handbrake engaged that can be avoided. Just floor the throttle before releasing hand brake.

109 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by chucksbadt(m): 12:11am On Nov 05, 2017
greenhulk:

Ignorance. Handbrake is more useful than u think. Have u ever wondered why it is difficult to engage ur grear while u are parked on a slope? Ha ha u think it's normal and harmless for u to be engaging ur gear with force and a loud bang? That is because the transmission is resting on the slope, it can wear ur transmission faster. The right way to park is first engage ur handbrake while ur foot is on the foot brake. Then put ur car in park. That way the handbrake stops the car from rolling and the transmission will be free. So that when u want to get ur car out of park it will be so easy without that loud bang.

Also useful when u parallel park on a very steel slope, let's say a car is parked closely behind u. When u want to move forward, on engaging drive, u would want to take ur foot off the brake to accelerate, ur car might back up before going forward due to the steep slope thereby hitting the car behind u. But with handbrake engaged that can be avoided. Just floor the throttle before releasing hand brake.

Lol.......i would admit i never knew this, even with my 4 years + driving experience. Jeez..... and i always hear that cracking sound when i try to change gear on a slope, and i thought it was a normal sound.

Ogbeni thanks for the insight abeg

BTW as for when I'm on a steep slope, what i simply do is to use both feet. As I'm gradually releasing the brake with my left leg, my right foot will be used to tap on the gas pedal simultaneously

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by chucksbadt(m): 12:17am On Nov 05, 2017
dokiOloye:
Its not good to let d weight of d car rest on the transmission .
Not healthy for d transmission,especially automatic transmissions.

So basically, this could be one of the causes of gear box failure?

2 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Nobody: 6:51am On Nov 05, 2017
chucksbadt:

Lol.......i would admit i never knew this, even with my 4 years + driving experience. Jeez..... and i always hear that cracking sound when i try to change gear on a slope, and i thought it was a normal sound.

Ogbeni thanks for the insight abeg

BTW as for when I'm on a steep slope, what i simply do is to use both feet. As I'm gradually releasing the brake with my left leg, my right foot will be used to tap on the gas pedal simultaneously

We all learn everyday bro, nobody knows it all and nobody is an island.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by twilliamx(m): 7:13am On Nov 05, 2017
When you park with just your automatic gear in park you risk damaging your gear especially when you park on a slope the weight of the car is rested and weighs on the gear which can wear it down fast enough. Ensure you use your handbrakes at all times unless it is not working

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Goldenheart(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2017
cool
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by nairalandbuzz(m): 7:22am On Nov 05, 2017
Handbrake handles the rear tyres while park or leg brake handles the front tyres. If you are parked in a sloppy area or where the car is not balanced, u are meant to use your hand brake for effective stationary blablabla

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Mpanyi: 7:22am On Nov 05, 2017
greenhulk:

Thanks. Learned something now.

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by psalmson001: 7:30am On Nov 05, 2017
Personally, i always engage the handbrake before puting the car in park (automatic) or gear 1( manual).

If you are a very observant driver, u will notice anytime u put ur car in park without engaging d handbrake, wen u take ur foot of the brake u will notice a slight movement either forward or backward. That is the weight of the car resting on the gears and it is bad for your transmission, and thats why its sometimes difficult to disengaged from park without hearing a bang.

As for those saying park holds the front tyres & handbrake holds the rear tyres, ure right to an extent because thats only applicable to front wheel drive vehicles........what about rear wheel drive vehicles?

8 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Johntitus: 7:34am On Nov 05, 2017
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by ibkgab001: 7:34am On Nov 05, 2017
Other way round we discussed it on the sienna thread while most sienna move while on P spot

Hand brake is very paramount here it reduces pressure on gear
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by OKorowanta: 7:38am On Nov 05, 2017
Informative
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by dasean1(m): 7:39am On Nov 05, 2017
learning
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by muller101(m): 7:47am On Nov 05, 2017
chucksbadt:

bros na wedge o no be Stone grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by billyG(m): 7:52am On Nov 05, 2017
chucksbadt:

What do you guys think
IF u dnt need it just yank it off!
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Ojuororun(m): 7:53am On Nov 05, 2017
chucksbadt:

just also as in traficator light where me too i com from.....,.. if una no trow yr hand towards yr direction NA CURSE U GO DEY HEAR 4RM YR BACK (IYALAYA E OTI YA WERE)gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by xana101: 8:00am On Nov 05, 2017
Ojuororun:
just also as in traficator light where me too i com from.....,.. if una no trow yr hand towards yr direction NA CURSE U GO DEY HEAR 4RM YR BACK (IYALAYA E OTI YA WERE)gringringrin
please where do u come from
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Ojuororun(m): 8:10am On Nov 05, 2017
xana101:
please where do u come from
u dey ask me where do i come 4rm?
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by donkilluminati(m): 8:13am On Nov 05, 2017
does Automatic cars even come with handbrake?? well, i've got no handbrake on my benz. no idea about other car brands.
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Caseless: 8:29am On Nov 05, 2017
Just to be sure cos prevention is better than cure.
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by EazyMoh(m): 8:31am On Nov 05, 2017
donkilluminati:
does Automatic cars even come with handbrake?? well, i've got no handbrake on my benz. no idea about other car brands.
You simply don't know where it is.

8 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by Super1759: 8:36am On Nov 05, 2017
donkilluminati:

Hmmm See question, no it comes with wedge, the type big lorries use to hold Lorries in slope

4 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) by felnino(m): 8:41am On Nov 05, 2017
Super1759:

Hmmm let me not talk before they attack me. See question, no it comes with wedge, the type big lorries use to hold cars in slope
Most Benz hand brakes are on the lower left side of the dashboard, you'll see it labelled pull and turn .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Is Better: Rav4, Crv, Highlander Or Pathfinder / You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car / Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.