Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,043 members, 7,799,527 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo (1940 Views)

PDP Leader Killed In Edo Over Tearing Of Billboards. Graphic Photos / Police Officers Caught Tearing Down Jide Sanwo-olu Campaign Posters / Leah Sharibu's Results In Her Report Card (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by princessco: 6:47pm On Nov 04, 2017
Wole Soyinka is going back to America, less than a year after he tore his green card following the emergence of President Donald Trump.

He will be delivering the Richard D. Cohen Lectures at Harvard University Centre for African Studies from November 14 to November 16.

“I’ll go in as an alien, an alien from outer space. I love that designation,” Soyinka said in an interview with Financial Times of London published on Friday.

The lectures will be in three parts, under the theme: ‘BEYOND AESTHETICS: Use, Abuse and Dissonance in African Art Traditions’.

The first part, The Acquisitive Eye: ‘Oga, I swear its Original Fake’ will be delivered on 14 November.

On 15 November, Soyinka will speak on: ‘Heirs to the Procreative Deities – the Yoruba at Large’. He ends the talks on Thursday 16 November with the third lecture: From Aso Ebi to N****YWOOD.

The venue for the three lectures is Thompson Room, Barker Center, 12, Quincy Street, Cambridge, MA. Richard Cohen lectures

Before the emergence of Trump, Soyinka had spent much time in the US, where he taught at a number of universities and lived in California with his wife, Folake.

“My life has been involved with the diaspora on a very personal and visceral level,” he said of his interaction with prominent African-Americans.

Donald Trump’s election marked an end to his US sojourn. In what has become known among Nigerians as “Wolexit”, he cut up his Green Card.

“To have some redneck ride into power on the steed of racism was for me too much,” he told the Financial Times.

In a statement in 2016, he detailed why he chose to drop the Green Card:

“I was in New York during the run-up to elections. I watched this face, its body language, listened to his uncouth, racist language, his imbecillic harangues, the insults to other peoples, other races, especially the Hispanics, Africans and Afro-Americans, even citing once – I was told – Nigeria as an instance of the burdensome occupation of global space. I watched and listened, disbelievingly, since this was America, supposedly now freed to a large extent – as we like to believe and have a right to expect – from its lamentable history of racism.”

http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2017/11/soyinka-returning-to-trumps-america.html

[img]https://1.bp..com/-89mcwHhDZ-I/Wf385SXzKDI/AAAAAAAAIYI/Y2ddSKe9weYpI7n4Q00Y0mhJGtcaOh0QwCLcBGAs/s640/Soyinka-653x365.jpg[/img]
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by HungerBAD: 6:48pm On Nov 04, 2017
Laughing.

Did anybody ever see him tear up his green card?laughing.

The man just dey make mouth,and taking gullible Nigerian's for granted. The Green Card is a property of the United States,and by law if he does not want it, he is suppose to go to the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to return it.

Destroying the property of the United States Government is an offence, and Uncle Wole Soyinka knows this, since the US takes such things very seriously.

Why i feel Wole Soyinka lied. Wole Soyinka has a 10 yrs Green Card(Residence Permit). As a 10 Yr Green Card holder, you are not allowed to stay outside the United States for 12 Months, as staying up to 12 months will automatically revoke the residency or sometimes you are not allowed in at the point of entry.

Wole Soyinka is returning back to the US before the 12 months time elapses. He can go in, and leave the next day and stay away for another 11 Months+ if he chooses, and then repeat the same thing again and again.

If Wole Soyinka Burns the Green Card, he can kiss the United States BYE BYE forever. He will never see their Visa with his eyes again, even if the President of the U.S Invites him.

Eduardo Saverin was one of the founders of Facebook. When he renounced his American Citizenship because of the heavy taxes, he quietly returned their Passport to the Embassy in Singapore.

Eduardo Saverin should have burned it, then the United States would have used that as an excuse to go after his money. And even to renounce the American citizenship or residency comes with a fine that has to be paid. I think for Citizenship renunciation, it is like $450.

Modified: To Anti-Wailer that just quoted me. Have you passed through the America immigration system before?
from your answer to my post, i can 100% authoritatively say you have not. So read and learn.

There was a time, i was a 10 Yrs Green Card holder many many years ago, so should know what i am talking about.

Other Nairalanders that have gone through the US IMMIGRATION system will tell you so. Wole Soyinka is using this lecture as an excuse for his Green Card not to become invalid.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by FarahAideed: 6:51pm On Nov 04, 2017
Shameless old fool ...He is going back to a better America than he left it , I pray he is deported at the point of entry ...Useless old cultist .

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by Kondomatic(m): 6:53pm On Nov 04, 2017
Reminds me of a scene in the movie "Eastern Condor"
Man 1: Damn America, idiot America, stupid America.
Man 2: Where are you going when all these is over?
Man 1: Back to America
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by Clerverly: 6:54pm On Nov 04, 2017
[s]
FarahAideed:
Shameless old fool ...He is going back to a better America than he left it , I pray he is deported at the poit of entry ...Useless old cultist .
[/s]

lamentation of a frustrated ipob yoot! Where is Nnamdi Kanu?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:55pm On Nov 04, 2017
He shouldn't go anywhere, we all are destined to enjoy Buhari altogether.. #BabaRunningAwayFromChange

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by AntiWailer: 6:58pm On Nov 04, 2017
FarahAideed:
Shameless old fool ...He is going back to a better America than he left it , I pray he is deported at the poit of entry ...Useless old cultist .

M0r0n.

Your life must be really miserable

Which better America ?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by FarahAideed: 7:04pm On Nov 04, 2017
AntiWailer:

M0r0n.

Your life must be really miserable

Which better America ?

Unlike your failed Buhari Donald Trump is actually creating jobs jobs jobs and your shameless Soyinka has swallowed his pride and taken a job in Donald Trump working America ..Yall are shameless

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by FarahAideed: 7:05pm On Nov 04, 2017
Clerverly:
[s][/s]

Nnamdi has tried his best so forget about gim and face ya front

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by tartar9(m): 7:09pm On Nov 04, 2017
FarahAideed:

Unlike your failed Buhari Donald Trump is actually creating jobs jobs jobs and your shameless Soyinka has swallowed his pride and taken a job in Donald Trump working America ..Yall are shameless
As if APC didn't also provide their statistics for the millions of jobs they created.
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by AntiWailer: 7:09pm On Nov 04, 2017
FarahAideed:

Ok u are a Trumptard ?

Majority of you are actually m0r0ns and chronic idiots.

Tell me 1 successful bill the Chief M0r0n in United State passed that created jobs ?
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by FarahAideed: 7:16pm On Nov 04, 2017
HungerBAD:
Laughing.

The man just dey make mouth,and taking gullible Nigerian's for granted. The Green Card is a property of the United States,and by law if he does not want it, he is suppose to go to the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to return it.

Destroying the property of the United States Government is an offence, and Uncle Wole Soyinka knows this, since the US takes such things very seriously.

Why i feel Wole Soyinka lied. Wole Soyinka has a 10 yrs Green Card(Residence Permit). As a 10 Yr Green Card holder, you are not allowed to stay outside the United States for 12 Months, as staying up to 12 months will automatically revoke the residency or sometimes you are not allowed in at the point of entry.

Wole Soyinka is returning back to the US before the 12 months time elapses. He can go in, and leave the next day and stay away for another 11 Months+ if he chooses, and then repeat the same thing again and again.

If Wole Soyinka Burns the Green Card, he can kiss the United States BYE BYE forever. He will never see their Visa with his eyes again, even if the President of the U.S Invites him.

Eduardo Saverin was one of the founders of Facebook. When he renounced his American Citizenship because of the heavy taxes, he quietly returned their Passport to the Embassy in Singapore.

Eduardo Saverin should have burned it, then the United States would have used that as an excuse to go after his money.

Oya antiwailer and cleverly come and see how Wole Soyinka has been bursted grin the shameless man is going to US quietly so they dont revoke his green card grin grin
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by AntiWailer: 7:20pm On Nov 04, 2017
HungerBAD:
Laughing.

Eduardo Saverin should have burned it, then the United States would have used that as an excuse to go after his money.

So he organized the Richard D. Cohen Lectures at Harvard University Centre for African Studies from November 14 to November 16. To renew the green card ?

U go soon well.
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 04, 2017
Clerverly:
[s][/s]

get a life please so anybody that say anything against your wish is an ipob member mind you my boy that not only ipob member are in this forum,beside let me say that wale Soyinka is just displaying his afonjaism. my boy it's in the blood.
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by FarahAideed: 7:24pm On Nov 04, 2017
AntiWailer:

So he organized the Richard D. Cohen Lectures at Harvard University Centre for African Studies from November 14 to November 16. To renew the green card ?

U go soon well.

He is broke so he is using one trip to kill two bird , poverty and green card revocation grin grin If I was trump i will deport the the fraudster at POE so he can recieve sense
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by Firefire(m): 8:53pm On Nov 04, 2017
Yeye fowl.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by PDPGuy: 11:38pm On Nov 04, 2017
HungerBAD:
Laughing.

Eduardo Saverin should have burned it, then the United States would have used that as an excuse to go after his money. And even to renounce the American citizenship or residency comes with a fine that has to be paid. I think for Citizenship renunciation, it is like $450.

Modified: To Anti-Wailer that just quoted me. Have you passed through the America immigration system before?
from your answer to my post, i can 100% authoritatively say you have not. So read and learn.

There was a time, i was a 10 Yrs Green Card holder many many years ago, so should know what i am talking about.

Other Nairalanders that have gone through the US IMMIGRATION system will tell you so. Wole Soyinka is using this lecture as an excuse for his Green Card not to become invalid.

All you said is accurate except for the citizenship renunciation fee. It’s now over $2000.
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by frank202012: 8:26am On Nov 05, 2017
AntiWailer:

Ok u are a Trumptard ?

Majority of you are actually m0r0ns and chronic idiots.

Tell me 1 successful bill the Chief M0r0n in United State passed that created jobs ?

boy go and wash the ditches for ya mom......
Re: Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo by AntiWailer: 8:28am On Nov 05, 2017
frank202012:

boy go and wash the ditches for ya mom......

Sorry I dnt deal with proscribed terrorists.

(1) (Reply)

Pdp's Achievements (food For Thought) / Regional Militias, Youths Prepare For Battle Against Herdsmen / Why We The Fulanis are destined To Lead-Prof Umar Labdo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.