Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,719 members, 7,802,167 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1298425 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:05pm On Feb 07, 2019
Bourne007:
Thank God you passed on the 3rd attempt

I fail am 4 times and I've heard those who've failed 7 times grin

Lol I’m not even going to bother myself until summer. I’ll do 3 lessons then my test. Been driving for years in Nigeria but I don’t want to bring that rubbish driving here. Did you do any lesson before your test? Or you just risk am like that grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:07pm On Feb 07, 2019
perfectme:
Hello house,

I've followed this thread from the beginning and I was earnestly hoping that someday I too will be able to share my experience of living in the UK.
And finally I got the break I was hoping for, got to UK late last year on a tier 2 visa.

P.S
I made my own UK survival guide from all the information I got here.

You know wetin sweet me pass for this your story? Your punctuations and paragraphs. Nice one! And welcome. I do hope you enjoy your stay here.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:10pm On Feb 07, 2019
Dexter07:
When I applied for my MIL, she was given at first attempt while my mum got on second attempt..my MIL used 3 months statement while my mum used 6 months..the former had a migration history while the latter had none

However the key in Visa applications is to be able to explain yourself properly in you cover letter. It is adviced to add a cover letter with subtitles explaining every detail in your application (then on the online application state that you have a more detailed cover letter attached to the supporting documents)

Many thanks for this. I think I’ll just use my own statement and not my husbands. I initially wanted to submit both or his only (because his is my sponsor) but this 5 month thing get as e be, so I’ll just submit mine only after all my statement bam on its own, I just wanted extra assurance.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Dexter07: 9:55am On Feb 08, 2019
You will hve to use the statement of the person u hve mentioned on the form as the sponsor of the trip.
Thats a must. Even though for visit visa appli, supporting documents can never be too much as far as they are genuine
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 11:05am On Feb 08, 2019
3 lessons ke ... ... Forget those parking and exits wey we dey do for naija oo. By the time you are asked to do parallel/reserve parking or a massive around-about with like 6 exits and to take the 4th exit keeping to your lane grin grin, you will want to take more lessons.

Yea I took lessons and lost count after failing the 2nd as I just wanted to get it done for work purposes.

Aphrodite007:

Lol I’m not even going to bother myself until summer. I’ll do 3 lessons then my test. Been driving for years in Nigeria but I don’t want to bring that rubbish driving here. Did you do any lesson before your test? Or you just risk am like that grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ecstacy29: 11:26am On Feb 08, 2019
perfectme:
Hello house,

I've followed this thread from the beginning and I was earnestly hoping that someday I too will be able to share my experience of living in the UK.
And finally I got the break I was hoping for, got to UK late last year on a tier 2 visa
P.S

Welcome to the UK sir/ma. May the land favour you.
I must really confess that there's loads of valuable info on this thread. In fact, I had to start reading the thread all over.

Hanty Fati, we cannor taink Yu enoff kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 11:26am On Feb 08, 2019
Bourne007:
3 lessons ke ... ... Forget those parking and exits wey we dey do for naija oo. By the time you are asked to do parallel/reserve parking or a massive around-about with like 6 exits and to take the 4th exit keeping to your lane grin grin, you will want to take more lessons.

Yea I took lessons and lost count after failing the 2nd as I just wanted to get it done for work purposes.

i passed on the first try, thank God, in one of the areas with the highest failure rate in the UK. About five minutes into the test, i made a mistake and i thought that was it, i just told myself calm down and finish, dont put yourself under pressure. At the end of the test, two or three mistakes later, i passed. nearly hugged and kissed the assessore and my instructor.

Dont be in a hurry and dont try to impress the assessor. Anytime i was given an instruction, i repeated it to the assessor to make sure i got the correct instruction and God answered my prayer that i should not be asked to parrallel park or reverse around the corner, those were my weakest points. keep two hands on the steering, always look into your mirrors before any manouver - very important- and make it obvious by moving your neck not just your eyes.

All the best with your tests. My motivation to get it right the first time was the cost of practice and the cost of the test.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ecstacy29: 11:28am On Feb 08, 2019
Mamatukwas:
So After 2 fails I’ve sha finally passed my Practical Driving Test. Grateful to God.
. grin, don’t worry; You’re not alone and you will definitely still pass. kiss

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.... This is just the boost I needed! cool cool

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:29am On Feb 08, 2019
Aphrodite007:

The only time you would pass with only 3 driving lessons, is if you have been driving illegally in the UK for a while........

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:32pm On Feb 08, 2019
Hi @sutelk please, if you don't mind, what stage is your family's application ATM?

N
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 12:39pm On Feb 08, 2019
perfectme:
Hello house,

And finally I got the break I was hoping for, got to UK late last year on a tier 2 visa.

I'm in Salisbury  ( Wiltshire ), it's a small but lovely town, there are few blacks here from different African countries cos by their accent you shall know them cheesy and some few Nigerians.

My flight down here was amazing, had a stop over at Dubai airport then finally Heathrow the next morning plus i got a window sit.

I had just one luggage which weighed 22kg plus one hand luggage, no food stuffs cos I like travelling light. Just my clothes plus winter kit .Was really prepared for that and was disappointed when I got to London and there was no snow cheesy ( don't yab me please grin )

My employer arranged an airport pick up for me plus accommodation so it was easy getting to my accomodation and they already got me a giffgaff sim card which only gave me unlimited phone calls and sms to UK numbers plus 3g data.

I've been able to get around town, got my BRP, opened an account with HSBC, registered with a gp and all

Found an asian store, the only one in Salisbury. They have basically everything from indomie to garri to yam, palm oil, egusi, semo even wooden mortar.

I generally do my shopping at tesco and pounland for groceries and charity shops for shoes and clothes in the mean time. I hope to upgrade when my account gets bigger wink. Plus I found the brioche bread at tesco kiss, I finally felt like I was eating bread after a long time, not all those tasteless oyinbo bread.

I've really learnt a lot from this thread and I'm happy to be here finally.
Just want to say thank you to all the people that added useful information to this thread and kept it going

P.S

Congratulations and Welcome

if more people could be just like you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 12:39pm On Feb 08, 2019
How many lessons did you do as @ Aphrodite007 intends to do just 3

deept:

i passed on the first try, thank God, in one of the areas with the highest failure rate in the UK. About five minutes into the test, i made a mistake and i thought that was it, i just told myself calm down and finish, dont put yourself under pressure. At the end of the test, two or three mistakes later, i passed. nearly hugged and kissed the assessore and my instructor.

Dont be in a hurry and dont try to impress the assessor. Anytime i was given an instruction, i repeated it to the assessor to make sure i got the correct instruction and God answered my prayer that i should not be asked to parrallel park or reverse around the corner, those were my weakest points. keep two hands on the steering, always look into your mirrors before any manouver - very important- and make it obvious by moving your neck not just your eyes.

All the best with your tests. My motivation to get it right the first time was the cost of practice and the cost of the test.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2019
Bourne007:
How many lessons did you do as @ Aphrodite007 intends to do just 3

10 if I can remember, it's been over two years now. Mostly getting used to the RHS drive and getting rid of naija habits, still have some still though.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 2:16pm On Feb 08, 2019
Please I need people who know to advice me.

I applied for my 2nd cousin who just finished HND to come visit us. Family visitor to stay for 3 months. My husband sponsored completely. They refused her on the grounds that - She has completed her studies - made no mention of her future employment, schooling or social plans and so they are not convinced if she’s truly a visitor or will leave the UK afterwards.

We plan to reapply for her again a bit later. I’m thinking of either- Looking for affordable schooling options for her ( will cost money but I genuinely like the girl and I need the help no matter how small) or apply and say she’s coming to take care of me as il be having a procedure done later in the year.

What do you guys think? Will either work or nah? Will try and get her a job in the meantime but I really would like her to come visit and go back.

Will appreciate your input. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:22pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mamatukwas:

I applied for my 2nd cousin who just finished HND to come visit us. Family visitor to stay for 3 months. My husband sponsored completely. They refused her on the grounds that - She has completed her studies - made no mention of her future employment, schooling or social plans and so they are not convinced if she’s truly a visitor or will leave the UK afterwards.

We plan to reapply for her again a bit later. I’m thinking of either- Looking for affordable schooling options for her ( will cost money but I genuinely like the girl and I need the help no matter how small) or apply and say she’s coming to take care of me as il be having a procedure done later in the year.

What do you guys think? Will either work or nah? Will try and get her a job in the meantime but I really would like her to come visit and go back.

Don't even mention taking care of you on a visiting visa, it would be classified working, a taboo on VV........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:25pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mamatukwas:

The problem is not the application, but the applicant. She has not demonstrated enough ties to return to Nigeria and application is viewed with an economic undertone.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 2:30pm On Feb 08, 2019
Naiobi:
Hi @sutelk please, if you don't mind, what stage is your family's application ATM?

N
Waiting, praying, fasting and "checking TLS website stage" grin
They did their biometrics last week, so over to Baba God in heaven.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:01pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mamatukwas:

If she was your parent that different then you can say she coming to take care of you but as a young girl once they start they keep denying until her situation changes

The best way would either be school or she gets a good job in naija which can act as home ties. If she uses school she has to attend or risk become illegal . Also remember using people as help can be classified as slavery so that topic needs to be walked on careful grounds
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Don't even mention taking care of you on a visiting visa, it would be classified working, a taboo on VV........

Thanks for the feedback. This route was considered because there is a class of visa for it. Not regular visiting. But as someone else has pointed out, she’s young so they might still not believe.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2019
Lexusgs430:

The problem is not the application, but the applicant. She has not demonstrated enough ties to return to Nigeria and application is viewed with an economic undertone.........

You’re quite right.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:33pm On Feb 08, 2019
LagosismyHome:

If she was your parent that different then you can say she coming to take care of you but as a young girl once they start they keep denying until her situation changes

The best way would either be school or she gets a good job in naija which can act as home ties. If she uses school she has to attend or risk become illegal . Also remember using people as help can be classified as slavery so that topic needs to be walked on careful grounds

Thanks for the feedback Sir. If we use school she will definitely attend, no stories. She won’t be coming to act as full time help. I just need an extra adult in the house i can trust to leave my kids with for short periods if I need to dash out. She has lived with me for a while before I came to the UK so she really is family.

Thanks though. Will pursue the school option while still looking for a job for her back home.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Thanks for the feedback. This route was considered because there is a class of visa for it. Not regular visiting. But as someone else has pointed out, she’s young so they might still not believe.

Was also indirectly stated in my explanation...... I dey fear to talk too much now.............. grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 4:02pm On Feb 08, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Was also indirectly stated in my explanation...... I dey fear to talk too much now.............. grin

I no blame you oh grin The days are somehow now.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 4:19pm On Feb 08, 2019
Congratulations to all the recent drivers in the house. All pass na pass, so far you get that Full UK Driver's license.

Now let us pull heads together and start looking for cheap insurance. To pay 1500 to 2000+ dey do me somehow for body. angry

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Take student route if you can afford it but visiting visa route chances are almost zero

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:12pm On Feb 08, 2019
Inkredible:
Congratulations to all the recent drivers in the house. All pass na pass, so far you get that Full UK Driver's license.

Now let us pull heads together and start looking for cheap insurance. To pay 1500 to 2000+ dey do me somehow for body. angry

The first insurance is always blood oo... chei i remember them days.

Check admiral, elephant and directline . I found them slightly cheaper than quotes on comparison sites ... although that first insurance must high undecided

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 5:17pm On Feb 08, 2019
justwise:

Take student route if you can afford it but visiting visa route chances are almost zero

Thanks for the feedback. It’s looking like it’s going to be Student oh. Wish there was a more affordable option sha sad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 08, 2019
@sutelk I pray it all goes well for you. Will be on the look out for your testimony lol
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 5:24pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mamatukwas:
So After 2 fails I’ve sha finally passed my Practical Driving Test. Grateful to God.
Decided to post incase someone is failing and feeling bad, don’t! I felt very bad too initially, especially because the 2nd fail In particular was cause of a very silly reason IMOsmiley... But the experience has sha made me a better driver. So incase you’re here and seeing stories of people passing the 1st time and wondering why your case is different grin, don’t worry; You’re not alone and you will definitely still pass. kiss

Thanks for sharing. I've failed it twice and decided to suspend it until the days get longer as I don't practicing driving during the dark.

I'm going to try again next month.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:25pm On Feb 08, 2019
Inkredible:

RIAS seems to be the daddy of pocket friendly quotes, considering all variables............

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 5:58pm On Feb 08, 2019
spacyzuma:

Thanks for sharing. I've failed it twice and decided to suspend it until the days get longer as I don't practicing driving during the dark.

I'm going to try again next month.

You’re welcome! But unless it’s on health (eyesight) grounds, I advice you conquer the night thing. All my lessons were from 4-6 and it was always dark. Terrified me at first but once I got the hang of driving like a pro at night, daytime became child’s play. Rooting for you next time! Keep practicing.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 6:02pm On Feb 08, 2019
Naiobi:
@sutelk I pray it all goes well for you. Will be on the look out for your testimony lol
Thanks, all the best in yours too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.