Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,262 members, 7,780,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:50 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (173) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1285060 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 1:57am On Jun 10, 2019
Acknowledged. I hope you guys can render more efficient service(s) in future for the sake of your business name, existing and prospective clients.

spikesC:

Hello Mimzyy,
I am very sorry you felt that way. Payment service provision and remittance is a regulated industry, and quite strict here in the UK. There're a lot of changing rules and de-risking which adversely affects start ups the most and it happened to us a few months ago. We had to restructure our banking partnership to reduce the risk of money laundering. This meant that we couldn't have an account directly with Barclays Bank UK PLC. We had to go with Barclays International (corporate) or a provider that services our sector directly.
No matter the option we chose, our bank account must still change. There's literally nothing we can do about that. It happens to everyone in the industry and it will happen to us again, but for the better.

There's nothing shady about it. We're fully licensed to operate and we're supervised by the FCA

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omicron(m): 7:25am On Jun 10, 2019
kayceerilyn:
Good morning everyone,

Please I'll be coming to UK soon, Scotland, precisely. It will be my first international flight and so I lack experience in so many matters.

Please can anyone elaborate on the cabin luggage and the mail luggage thing to me? How many luggage am I permitted to carry? How do I make the most use of space since I'll be staying for one year and might be bringing a lot of things?

What and what are the must haves that I must never forget to bring?

Please, I need your kind suggestion and explanation in this matter.
Don't forget to bring along some antimalarials in case you develop malaria in your initial period in the UK. Also consider doing your dental and eye check up before coming as those services may not be covered by the NHS (So in England, not sure about Scotland). If you use glasses consider getting a spare along.

Any food stuff will help you until you settle and discover African shops. Eg crayfish, ground egusi, ogbono, dried fish, etc. There is a piece on gov dot UK website about the limit of food stuff you can carry.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by adriel7(f): 11:30am On Jun 10, 2019
omicron:
Don't forget to bring along some antimalarials in case you develop malaria in your initial period in the UK. Also consider doing your dental and eye check up before coming as those services may not be covered by the NHS (So in England, not sure about Scotland). If you use glasses consider getting a spare along.

Any food stuff will help you until you settle and discover African shops. Eg crayfish, ground egusi, ogbono, dried fish, etc. There is a piece on gov dot UK website about the limit of food stuff you can carry.

In Scotland NHS covers some dental treatments. I did a tooth filling few weeks ago and the doctor said it was £5 for Amalgam filling(covered by NHS) and about £70 for composite filling. Was scared of the whole mecury thing so I opted for the latter.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2019
Anyway to beat expensive accommodation in North London. I am married in a wife. What cost do we expect to dole out monthly, and how do we cut this cost?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:35pm On Jun 10, 2019
sgtponzihater1:
Anyway to beat expensive accommodation in North London. I am married in a wife. What cost do we expect to dole out monthly, and how do we cut this cost?

Budget £800 - £1200 pcm.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:49pm On Jun 10, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

I understand the feeling mate

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:52pm On Jun 10, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

Any ideas too. Is there any city close by that I can commute daily to London.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:59pm On Jun 10, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Budget £800 - £1200 pcm.......

plus feeding and bills?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Any ideas too. Is there any city close by that I can commute daily to London.

If you don't mind driving an hour each way, try buying a property in any of the Essex towns e.g Colchester, Harwich, Clacton etc. The properties on sale there are much cheaper than London properties, plus you get good quality of life close to the sea as well. A decent fully detached family property that costs below £250,000 in Essex will cost close to a million in London. The £800-£1200 you budget to rent a London squashed flat can pay a mortgage for a decent sized family home in Essex.

I lived and worked in Colchester for 4 years before I moved up North. I know loads of professionals who live in mansions in Colchester whilst commuting to well-paid jobs in London.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Say what?

By postal order?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 4:07pm On Jun 10, 2019
claremont:

If you don't mind driving an hour each way, try buying a property in any of the Essex towns e.g Colchester, Harwich, Clacton etc. The properties on sale there are much cheaper than London properties, plus you get good quality of life close to the sea as well. A decent fully detached family property that costs below £250,000 in Essex will cost close to a million in London. The £800-£1200 you budget to rent a London squashed flat can pay a mortgage for a decent sized family home in Essex.

I lived and worked in Colchester for 4 years before I moved up North. I know loads of professionals who live in mansions in Colchester whilst commuting to well-paid jobs in London.

Great advice. I am just about taking a job in the UK for the first time. Would need advice about that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2019
LagosismyHome:

plus feeding and bills?

Nope.........

When he wants to mix with the Mill Hill crew, no be beans........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 4:14pm On Jun 10, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

You can't beat spending that money, you will have to spend it either on accommodation or on travel.

I live in the east Midlands and commute into central London everyday.

My train journey in to KGX from Newark takes around 90 minutes, and a monthly pass is £1044 with another 179 spent on parking.

We own a generously sized 4 bed, and our monthly outgoings (mortgage, utility bills) just shade a grand.

So roughly 2k per month. I would have paid that on acvomadtion in London anyway for a smaller house than we live in now. The only difference is that the quality of life is better when I actually get to experience it lol

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 4:15pm On Jun 10, 2019
grin

wonlasewonimi:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 4:17pm On Jun 10, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Great advice. I am just about taking a job in the UK for the first time. Would need advice about that.

I thought you were already here and have been here. Since you are new, you can rent in London for a few months whilst building your credit score. At the same time you are renting, spend you days off exploring properties for sale in towns an hour commute from London. Do not be comfortable paying rent in London or else you will get sucked into the never-ending rat race of earning to pay rent and bills. Try to save up at least 10% deposit during your first year.

I would highly recommend Accord mortgages, they are very good and flexible for new job starters. All you need is your contract and proof of identity, and a 10% deposit. You are good as guaranteed of getting a mortgage from them. I just used them recently to buy a second property and I cannot recommend them enough.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2019
nihilistjnr:

You can't beat spending that money, you will have to spend it either on accommodation or on travel.

My train journey in to KGX from Newark takes around 90 minutes, and a monthly pass is £1044 with another 179 spent on parking.

We own a generously sized 4 bed, and our monthly outgoings (mortgage, utility bills) just shade a grand.

So roughly 2k per month. I would have paid that on acvomadtion in London anyway for a smaller house than we live in now. The only difference is that the quality of life is better when I actually get to experience it lol
Train Transport is so high in Uk and nobody complains but just pay it , So annoying for such crappy train delay/ Service

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:17pm On Jun 10, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Train Transport is so high in Uk and nobody complains but just pay it , So annoying for such crappy train delay/ Service

They complain, and get rewarded for their complain.... They keep on increasing it every year....... wink grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 6:33pm On Jun 10, 2019
Na you chop all my money for ultimate ehn cry and you're just within vicinity. See you next season lol wink

nihilistjnr:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mim1031: 7:48pm On Jun 10, 2019
Good day everyone, please kindly advise on this matter
My sister graduated from Biochemistry in Nigeria and wants to pursue a Nursing degree in the UK. I know Nursing is on shortage list at the moment and getting job is quite easy. But i fear for what may come within the next 3 to 4 years befroe she finishes school. Do you think this is a risk worth taking or we should try other countries, thanks for your contributions as i trust your judgements
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 8:21pm On Jun 10, 2019
Bourne007:
Na you chop all my money for ultimate ehn cry and you're just within vicinity. See you next season lol wink

Which side you dey bro? I'm in Lincolnshire

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 8:20am On Jun 11, 2019
I'm in Nottinghamshire. Newark no dey part of Lincolnshire na

nihilistjnr:

Which side you dey bro? I'm in Lincolnshire
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omicron(m): 8:42am On Jun 11, 2019
mim1031:
Good day everyone, please kindly advise on this matter
My sister graduated from Biochemistry in Nigeria and wants to pursue a Nursing degree in the UK. I know Nursing is on shortage list at the moment and getting job is quite easy. But i fear for what may come within the next 3 to 4 years befroe she finishes school. Do you think this is a risk worth taking or we should try other countries, thanks for your contributions as i trust your judgements
Nursing will continue to be one of the highest in demand jobs in the UK for the foreseeable decades. Reason being that pay remain lower than other developed countries, fewer UK people studying nursing (and medicine) due to poor work/life balance and stress caused by chronic staff shortages and increasing work demands, BREXIT (large chunk of EU nurses leaving the UK), UK nurses and even international nurses in the UK emigrating to Canada, Australia and USA, and an ageing population.

If she really wants to do nursing to practise in the UK, she should not be deterred by potential lack of job opportunities or unfavourable immigration policies. The prospects are very bright. My opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 9:52am On Jun 11, 2019
Bourne007:
I'm in Nottinghamshire. Newark no dey part of Lincolnshire na

I drive to Newark
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:48pm On Jun 11, 2019
How would I survive North London. The cost of accommodation in the zone I am going states 1200 minimum on Zoopla. That nearly half my expected pay
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:52pm On Jun 11, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

How would I survive North London. The cost of accommodation in the zone I am going states 1200 minimum on Zoopla. That nearly half my expected pay

That how most people are living ............pay check to pay check. Some people are able to save but majority have no money cheesy

You still spend about that much , either in transportation or in Rent if it is London . There is no escaping it . The only alternative is to get a job in a cheaper city and then live close to work so you dont spend so much on transportation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 5:07pm On Jun 11, 2019
Why don't you start with a shared house/apartment (usually half the amount) then move from there. As times go on, you will have adjusted, understood your way of living and how London works.

sgtponzihater1:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 5:16pm On Jun 11, 2019
Theresa May: Leaders have 'a moral duty' to act on slavery
11 June 2019
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48589411

Theresa May will tell world leaders at a conference they have "a moral duty" to speak for victims of modern slavery.

"No leader worthy of the name can look the other way while men, women and children are held against their will," the prime minister is expected to say.

Mrs May will announce £10m to reduce exploitation of children in Africa's agricultural industries.

Modern slaves in the UK, often said to be hiding in plain sight, are working in our nail bars, on construction sites, in brothels, on cannabis farms and in agriculture.

Traffickers are using the internet to lure their victims with hollow promises of jobs, education and even love.

Albania, Nigeria, Vietnam, Romania and Poland are the most likely countries of origin, but some victims are from the UK itself.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 5:48pm On Jun 11, 2019
LagosismyHome:

That how most people are living ............pay check to pay check. Some people are able to save but majority have no money cheesy

You still spend about that much , either in transportation or in Rent if it is London . There is no escaping it . The only alternative is to get a job in a cheaper city and then live close to work so you dont spend so much on transportation

If I am the only one it would have been fine. With a family, I wonder
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:05pm On Jun 11, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Right on the money from my estimated stated figures....

You might be able to shave £100/£200+, depending on how lucky your house - hunt goes, plus source...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:09pm On Jun 11, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Right on the money from my estimated stated figures....

You might be able to shave £100/£200+, depending on how lucky your house - hunt goes, plus source...

If I don't sort these things out my plan of getting a Umidigi F1 play may be suspended for the next few months grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:17pm On Jun 11, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

If I don't sort these things out my plan of getting a Umidigi F1 play may be suspended for the next few months grin

So many years ago, my bearded lecturer taught me a very important term in Economics.....

- Scale of Preference
- Maslow hierarchy of needs....... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:30pm On Jun 11, 2019
Lexusgs430:

So many years ago, my bearded lecturer taught me a very important term in Economics.....

- Scale of Preference
- Maslow hierarchy of needs....... grin

Obvious food, income, shelter, and then sex within a shelter comes first before Umipepering in the hierarchy of need. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.