Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,545 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:43 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1285412 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 12:00am On Dec 29, 2017
* Your visa application experience /adjustment status experience: not exciting,came in as a tier 2 dependant straight after uni..pretty straight forward,there was no nhs surcharge at the time.Just went to Uk embassy in the country I was in and it was granted.We were freshly married ,kids born here.

* Picking up your BRP (disadvantage of not travelling within the 1month vignette and protocols to follow in picking it up): don’t know

* Travelling experience (airlines and airport to use): British airways ,don’t have energy for wahala

* What are the immigration rules to follow?: No recourse to public funds on tier 2 visa,can’t think of anything else

* Visa renewals and what you are entitled to after 5yrs: We had to renew yearly at one point 6 monthly cos of Dhs work..It was a nightmare,the cost..not like we had any money o,I wasn’t working..hellish time.After 5 years,citizenship.I think lower incomes get some benefits like child ones or so ? I don’t know oo but I believe after citizenship you can claim some?

* Can you open a bank account while still in Nigeria and what bank has the best customer service and plan): I don’t think you can.It even a bit tricky to open an account as a new migrant..Got our first break with hsbc,they were the only ones that agreed back then

* Which State/suburb did you settle in and why? Scotland,due to Dh work,we are leaving soon.Its a great place to live though,beautiful..unfortunately it’s not giving us what we need for now.we will return for the free uni if it still exists when the kids are ready

* Public Transportation Vs Driving in the UK: All join,train and buses are great,I’d say better to drive for convenience.

* Driving in UK? How long can you use your Naija driving license before you get a license?: didn’t

* Where you live and why you like it or don't like it? Tips on choosing the right neighborhood.(Internet plans, electricity company to use, setting up a house): Good schools are the pull for me,nice area ,hardly any crime,filled with professionals and grannies.Downside:A bit too quiet and hardly any African presence..

*Renting Vs Mortgage (pitfalls to avoid when choosing mortgage): I’m still in the renting web..they have finished me on the other thread,have saved up for a mortgage,hope to buy ASAP after move.

* Using a credit card (things to avoid): use and pay ASAP,to build your credit

* Childcare for kids below 5 (cost and how do you go about choosing a minder): this one is the killer.i have 2 under 5,my eyes are seeing my ears.Both attend nursery,budget £800-1000 if in private nursery for one person,when child is 3,there’s free 30 hours,then you can pay for extended hours..I try to invite family over (pay for visa and ticket) they stay 3-5 months a pop.That saves me cash..you also have to budget shopping money and thank you for coming money.
Used a Nigerian nanny from agency in England..very bad experience.the mama was too old,tired and full of tall tales.My kids didn’t like her either.Id rather pay for 100 flights and have a cool mind when going to work.

* Business Tips you can do both over there and abroad: don’t do any

* How do you send money home (without much loss): people always coming and going so send a healthy amount at a go then it’s paid into my account in Nigeria,I disburse from there.

* What does the NHS fully cover?Everything here.

* Tips on raising kids in a western environment as an African: I don’t know o..my own are still in naughty phase.I would say engage them..museums,going’s to the park,swimming,football,dancing classes,plenty books ,library ,zoo etc

* What culture shock have you experienced?Already had my culture shock in other places,nothing new here

* Tips on how to cloth and cope with the cold weather: wrap up well,hats,nice coat,warm boots and gloves.I like Zara,H&M,Gap (for great cotton,)next for kids.Not a primark fan,the clothes never last.Zara sizes are small,H&M kids come up bigger.Sainsbury kiddie range (Tu)great.

* Nigerian restaurants and market in your location: Don’t go to Nigerian restaurants,my MIL is my Nigerian restaurant.

* How much does your family survive on in a month?my monthly outgoing Is on the other thread,varies from family to family depending on monthly income.When we came in,we started on about 2,600.It was just the two of us and we were ok but had barely any savings.I used to swear that once we get more I’d be saving the whole world,Lai lai ,our bills have increased so much with increase in salary..Mortgage is the answer. angry

* Developing Nigeria from Abroad (How to go about it): don’t know for now,make I save myself first

* Nigeria Community in Glasgow: I don’t know,no time..work work work any free time is spent with family doing something

* Fun things to do grin: google things to do in Glasgow..I love going to Hotels & eating out.. for restaurants try 5pm dot co dot Uk there are deals to Be had

Despite people laughing at my long list budget,I think it’s worth having a spreadsheet to see your outgoings and squirrel away money which can be used for a treat.I prefer to use budget apps.

Ps: I think being here has made my Dh&i (plus kids)so close.I would say you (any new migrant)and your partner/husband/man /woman (anyone)have to work together and plan around each other if not life will be very difficult for you.I also think combining income is fantastic,you know how much you have and work with it.No point planning for Brazilian hair if you have only £10.People differ income planning wise but when there’s cooperation life is amazingly beautiful and the togetherness makes any struggles worth it.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sharpboyus(m): 12:04am On Dec 29, 2017
@imconfused .... you don port abi
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 12:06am On Dec 29, 2017
Dupsyshoo please when you have time,I’d like to know about Manchester.The good areas etc.Ideally quiet ,low crime ,green and great for kids
Someone has mentioned Kent..lemme weigh options and choose where to buy this very house grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 12:07am On Dec 29, 2017
sharpboyus:
@imconfused .... you don port abi

Yes o,we derailed the other one.. grin
I go faint for work tomorrow,Kai!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 29, 2017
imconfused:

i don't think it was derailing, it was a forum we could all relate to, but i'll reserve my personal opinion
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by error4040: 12:19am On Dec 29, 2017
Well i dont fancy UK but am following anyway
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by error4040: 12:27am On Dec 29, 2017
grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 12:50am On Dec 29, 2017
My monthly bill..could be less

Rent-£1k
Council tax-£250
Electricity&gas-130
Fuel-£300(distance to work is far)
Train(£250)
Life insurance-105
Income protection- £40
TV license-12
Grocery-400( could be more)
Swimming class -105 for 5 lessons
Football(child)-58 for a block
Nursery-500( when family around)
ISA for kids-£100
Stocks for kids-£200
TV& internet- 44
Nanny-£800 when family not around
Haircut-£30
My own hair-£60-100 plus manicure&pedicure
Eating out-£100 (depends on what's happening)
Outings -£100(soft play,zoo & co)
Church offerings-£100-200
Charity foodbank-£50
Miscellaneous just incase of wahala-£100
Pocket money-300(150 for each of us)

Saving up for holiday-£100-200

Investment -£500pcm
Nigeria maintenance-xpcm

Saving-10% of income.
MOt,servicing,car tax, insurance- once a year varies wildly car tax-110,insurance -350,MOT- can't remember ,its what happens after MOST that counts.fixing all the faults ,same with servicing ,can range from 200 to any amount if the car has any issues.

Good night grin

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 12:53am On Dec 29, 2017
This was by dupsyshoo:

If the couple are both working. It will be a lot easier to save if they plan well in unity.
The wife's earning can take care of all expenses while the husband's earning will go into family' savings.

Approximate expenses for my family of 3:

mortgage £440, electricity and gas £67, council tax £110, tv and internet £30, mobile phone for 2 £50, annual car insurance and road tax for 2 cars (£1500), fuel cost per month (commute a long distance to work) £300, food (We do African shopping in bulk (buy meat every quarter from abattoir, wash and package per cooking, buy boxes of ingredients) and also buy things in bulk from Costco) average of 300-400, child care cost used to be £500 but now about £200 cos of govt free 30 hour free childcare.

So total expenses for a family of 3 is around £2k per month, which either of our salary can easily take care of and we get to save the rest and the other salary. It will also be easier to support family members in Naija.

So, marriage is not all woes.

Please note that this will only work if you are not hoarding money from each other.

Final goodnight angry

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:08am On Dec 29, 2017
imconfused:
* Your visa application experience /adjustment status experience: not exciting,came in as a tier 2 dependant straight after uni..pretty straight forward,there was no nhs surcharge at the

Madam d madam, u too sure. Thanks for the reply. Quite interesting saw you on the other thread and I have really learnt from you and advise given.

That renewal thingy is one major stuff I have been thinking about but God dey sha. Make I take it one step at a time.

Funnily also not thinking of moving to scotland anymore. Trying to decide on birmingham or someplace else *maybe newcastle or northern part sha.

Suggestions !!!! I am particular about low cost of living in England and anywhere dre r either construction or project mgt jobs.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:09am On Dec 29, 2017
UKmigrant:
Welcome to the UK Fatima cheesy
Thank you oo my Oga, trying to.enjoy it like you grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:09am On Dec 29, 2017
dustydee:

Try rhemito.com

Thanks boss. Will check it out
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:11am On Dec 29, 2017
imconfused:

I am sure the OP enjoyed the derailing. It was fun and educating smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:14am On Dec 29, 2017
WORD!. Goodnight.

So, marriage is not all woes.

Please note that this will only work if you are not hoarding money from each other.

Final goodnight angry[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 10:49am On Dec 29, 2017
Thanks for the information you shared, imconfused.

I'm also living in Scotland, and I have my own breakdown of my monthly salary. However, I won't share because too many people on Nairaland know me personally.

I've only been here a few years (Tier 2 work) and I'm still in the renting phase. I've been advised to get mortgage asap too, but I'd rather wait until when/if I get my ILR.

fatima04:
Also, which one is better azimo or world remit? Or.......
I've never used any of these. I have rich, trusted friends who do money transfer as a business. So I pay them pounds here and they pay the Naira equivalent to my Nigerian accounts after we agree the exchange rate.

PS, I really hope this thread doesn't get derailed like the one done by Ukmigant. I was following that one but had to unfollow. sad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 10:59am On Dec 29, 2017
fatima04:

Madam d madam, u too sure. Thanks for the reply. Quite interesting saw you on the other thread and I have really learnt from you and advise given.

That renewal thingy is one major stuff I have been thinking about but God dey sha. Make I take it one step at a time.

Funnily also not thinking of moving to scotland anymore. Trying to decide on birmingham or someplace else *maybe newcastle or northern part sha.

Suggestions !!!! I am particular about low cost of living in England and anywhere dre r either construction or project mgt jobs.

Madam the madam,I don't know anything about England at all so can't suggest places.

I heard Chester,Greater Manchester,Kent,Harrogate, Round hay, Ilkley,York,otley,horsforth are good.Most listed are in the North,I'm not too sure yet .I'm looking for correct pointers to the right places before we enter UKIP zone by mistake.

Scotland is beautiful oo.if you go to the suburbs it's better,green and quiet,places for kids to play etc.
Its also cheaper ,houses cheaper,slower way of life.
If not for certain issues I'd have stayed back,don't discount Scotland oo.
Hopefully you settle in well,welcome ma.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 11:05am On Dec 29, 2017
Spacyzuma,

I just wrote only my income somewhere grin,not my combined family own.You don't have to write yours at all grin..
You could just do a budget for her using any figure so she can have an idea.
It would be great to see different budgets using different amounts..

My dear buying house is the answer o.You can see I've been advised seriously to stop wasting money on rent..
If nothing is stopping you,start venturing small ,better to buy,sell and buy again instead of dashing landlord money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:39am On Dec 29, 2017
fatima04:
Also, which one is better azimo or world remit? Or.......

I have used both, Azimo is better than worldremit interns of exchange rate, sometimes 2naira more.

Transferwise gives you more than those two but charges £1.44 fees while the above two charge £1

Check exchange rate through google or abokifix before using any of them.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 11:49am On Dec 29, 2017
fatima04:
Something funny I just remembered:

Lagos airport the guy at the counter helped with my box for it to be weighed and tagged and actually asked for tips and told him I didn't have change. He even went further to offer to fill my immigration card and I was like durrrh... no be my details u wan put there.

Train from high wycombe to birmingham
Immediately the guy saw me with a baby strapped on and luggage he told me to wait once the train comes for him to help me on the train then the amazing thing happened, as I disembarked the train another security guy approached me that he was notified that I would be needing assistance from the other station.

I was shook kiss. Just kept saying thank you and at a point I was sounding odd

Both are being paid but one doesn't ask for bribe to render assistance.

Note this is one of the best thing you can say to anyone!! Please and thank you goes a very long way....

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by bigtt76(f): 12:14pm On Dec 29, 2017
Sure but very few values it though grin

DisGuy:

Note this is one of the best thing you can say to anyone!! Please and thank you goes a very long way....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 12:18pm On Dec 29, 2017
spacyzuma:
Thanks for the information you shared, imconfused.

I'm also living in Scotland, and I have my own breakdown of my monthly salary. However, I won't share because too many people on Nairaland know me personally.

I've only been here a few years (Tier 2 work) and I'm still in the renting phase. I've been advised to get mortgage asap too, but I'd rather wait until when/if I get my ILR.

I've never used any of these. I have rich, trusted friends who do money transfer as a business. So I pay them pounds here and they pay the Naira equivalent to my Nigerian accounts after we agree the exchange rate.

PS, I really hope this thread doesn't get derailed like the one done by Ukmigant. I was following that one but had to unfollow. sad

Stop saying people derailed the other thread. undecided

Banter keeps a thread flowing and also encourages others to chip in their thoughts.

you cannot claim that with all the 'derailing', you have not learnt one or two things or you weren't entertained. relax and stop taking life too seriously. The fact that you unfollowed the thread does not have any impact on anyone. . . . nobody notices when you follow or unfollow a thread.

meanwhile, waiting till you get ILR before jumping on the property market is another mistake people make. many people that should have become home owners when things were 'rosy' for them failed to do so all because they get procrastinating - 'I will wait till I get ILR', 'I will wait till I get British passport'.
forgetting that the prices of homes are increasing every year, interest rates are not guaranteed to remain low forever, etc.

chinese students on student visa are buying houses and you are here waiting for ILR.
If you have the funds for your deposit, you are legal in this country and you have a good credit history, look for a house and buy.

so you know, home ownership also helps your ILR application. one of the questions asked in the form is 'if you own your home in the UK'.
home ownership proves you have strong ties to the country and you've also invested in the country.

God forbid you fail to renew your visa, then you simply hand over the house to an estate agency and rent it out. you will still get a decent profit
after deducting your mortgage/tax/fees, etc. one fact remains is that you own a home in the UK. you can choose to sell it off at old age or rely on the rental income at old age.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 12:19pm On Dec 29, 2017
Hundreds of furious passengers are stranded at Gatwick airport after airline cancels flights over 'technical problems' leaving many - who paid up to £1,000 a ticket - sleeping on the floor for FIVE DAYS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5219467/Passengers-stranded-Gatwick-five-days.html#ixzz52eE1ZOJd

Fatima, thank your stars you dodged a bullet flying Medview
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 12:22pm On Dec 29, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Stop saying people derailed the other thread. undecided

Banter keeps a thread flowing and also encourages others to chip in their thoughts.

you cannot claim that with all the 'derailing', you have not learnt one or two things or you weren't entertained. relax and stop taking life too seriously. The fact that you unfollowed the thread does not have any impact on anyone. . . . nobody notices when you follow or unfollow a thread.

meanwhile, waiting till you get ILR before jumping on the property market is another mistake people make. many people that should have become home owners when things were 'rosy' for them failed to do so all because they get procrastinating - 'I will wait till I get ILR', 'I will wait till I get British passport'.
forgetting that the prices of homes are increasing every year, interest rates are not guaranteed to remain low forever, etc.

chinese students on student visa are buying houses and you are here waiting for ILR.
If you have the funds for your deposit, you are legal in this country and you have a good credit history, look for a house and buy.

so you know, home ownership also helps your ILR application. one of the questions asked in the form is 'if you own your home in the UK'.
home ownership proves you have strong ties to the country and you've also invested in the country.

God forbid you fail to renew your visa, then you simply hand over the house to an estate agency and rent it out. you will still get a decent profit
after deducting your mortgage/tax/fees, etc. one fact remains is that you own a home in the UK. you can choose to sell it off at old age or rely on the rental income at old age.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 12:28pm On Dec 29, 2017
fatima04:

what visa are you on? not sure but I thought I saw tier 2 somewhere. in that case, are you not already with an employer?

as per location, I will suggest you keep an open mind and NOT rule out any part of the country especially since you are job hunting. the biggest mistake a lot of people make is 'I cant live here', 'I cant live there' and then they choose to remain in some obscure part of the country where the jobs available is such areas are call centres and care jobs.

keep an open mind regarding locatioon. apply for jobs all around the country, go for interviews and when you get that job with decent pay and then move.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 12:35pm On Dec 29, 2017
Can the knowledgeable ones enlighten us on stocks and shares,planning for retirement & how to go about it?
Do you register with Hargreaves& co and just start paying?etc..

I think it's better to invest in stocks than let spare money stay in accounts?

Have tried to read monevator website but no time to really digest.

Claremont ,Efemenaxy had touched on this slightly but can information be given on how to go about it?

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 12:52pm On Dec 29, 2017
Please can anyone clarify on the best bank to open an account with and the kinda account to go for which will impact more on your credit rating.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 1:01pm On Dec 29, 2017
Inkredible:
Please can anyone clarify on the best bank to open an account with and the kinda account to go for which will impact more on your credit rating.

Thank you

as long as its a CURRENT account, it will appear on your credit file/credit report and impact your credit rating.

savings account do not have any impact on credit rating and do not appear on your file.

Halifax or Lloyds bank is good (or any of their brands within the Lloyds Banking Group)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imconfused(f): 1:05pm On Dec 29, 2017
If you are gay,Scotland is great as people are open and welcoming,a very good proportion of Members of parliament are gay so they are very active with LGBT issues.

They are also championing transgender issues and calling for gender neutral uniforms.

They also plan for a named person scheme where each child has a named guardian who looks after the welfare of your child & may have more authority than you over your child.

Smacking is going to be criminalised here soon in line with other European countries- for those who have hands of iron.

Smoking is a bad habit and not viewed as a sin,our pastor is a smoker and divorce`.To be honest when I first landed in the church and this man came to welcome us smelling of smoke,I was like maybe my nose has problem,but he actually told us his history himself as he was coughing and had been in hospital with a chest infection.He said he can't quit grin.
That man is amazing,kind, charitable and gives so much to his community.You may also find that your reverend is gay.If you cannot cope with all this, research church properly before joining to avoid high BP.

You will learn to forget naija instilled right and wrong basically become more open minded or if not you learn to keep your opinions to yourself.

16 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 1:08pm On Dec 29, 2017
Ralphlauren:

as long as its a CURRENT account, it will appear on your credit file/credit report and impact your credit rating.

savings account do not have any impacrt on credit rating and do not appear on your file.

Halifax or Lloyds bank is good (or any of their brands within the Lloyds Banking Group)

THIS.

Another trick is to open it online. Then they may tell you to bring your documents to the nearest or just open it outright.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 1:13pm On Dec 29, 2017
Ralphlauren:

savings account do not have any impacrt on credit rating and do not appear on your file.

Thanks.

What are the basics required to open such accounts by a new migrant? Any idea?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 1:14pm On Dec 29, 2017
wonlasewonimi:

THIS.

Another trick is to open it online. Then they may tell you to bring your documents to the nearest or just open it outright.

true.

a lot of these banks have really downsized their front office staff.

i doubt if branch account opening still exits.

i know Lloyds banking group and RBS have stopped it. you need to apply online and they send you all the paperwork in the post and you sign and return with your proof of identity, etc.

same applies for business customers (except you are a high networth client) where you have the Relationship Manager visit you personally at your office with the account opening documentation grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 1:17pm On Dec 29, 2017
Inkredible:

Thanks.

What are the basics required to open such accounts by a new migrant? Any idea?

are you on the electoral roll? this is usually a compulsory requirement to open a current account.

they will have to verify your identity electronically and also verify you are actually UK resident living at the address you claim to be residing. it is also aimed at stopping fraudulent applications.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.