Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (379) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1301054 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (376) (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 5:47pm On Sep 04, 2020
I’m in Birmingham this weekend

Msmeena:
Please Which area are you at the moment
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Msmeena(f): 6:31pm On Sep 04, 2020
omopapa:
I’m in Thanks bro, won't be possible, kind of far away Birmingham this weekend

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Msmeena(f): 7:57pm On Sep 04, 2020
Thanks bro, am far away from Birmingham this weekend, Thanks so much
omopapa:
I’m in Birmingham this weekend

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 12:38am On Sep 05, 2020
omopapa:
That’s an opportunity right there, how about opening one

Nah. The market is not big enough for sustainable market unfortunately. But thanks for the suggestion.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 7:58am On Sep 05, 2020
G.morning lovely house, trust u all are doing well.

Please I will like an advice from you guys please. My elder sister is working as a secretary/ executive assistant in a reputable organisation in Abuja. She loves her career line very well and have bin in it for 12 years now. She got married in 2014, her hubby is based in UK and she will be joining her hubby soon in UK. She was discussing with me on her career, that she doesn't know if she can get a secretary work in the UK. I told her that she should change her career line to health sector bc I know that she can easily get job in health sector, but she said that her age(41years) might not permit her study nursing when she gets her permanent stay bc of the study loan.

Please house is there any well paid job she can do apart from health care.

We here in Nigeria believe that is mostly health sector that is opened to new comers in UK and most Nigeria go for health care jobs. Pls any advice or suggestions or advice to prepare her.
She keep telling me that she prefers to leave in Nigeria ( bc of her age and starting life again. But, I keep convincing her that UK is better than Nigeria.

I will appreciate responses. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 7:59am On Sep 05, 2020
LagosismyHome:

They first give 6 months when you are outside UK

Once they are in the UK, the family members need to apply for pre-settled or settled status before the first family permit expires.

And then that second permit comes with the full package.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/staying-in-the-uk-after-brexit/keeping-your-family-in-the-uk-after-brexit/

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 5:43pm On Sep 05, 2020
Thanks so much
claremont:

Durham is a decent city with a highly rated university and I have worked there a few times, I don't know about Lincolnshire. Durham, York, Leeds, Newcastle are decent Northern cities to live in and raise a family. I have worked in all these cities, and I would choose them over anywhere in the south. The cost of a decent 4 bedroom family detached home in a middle class estate in any of these Northern cities can barely buy a small 2 bedroom box flat in most areas in London.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
Any proper flights travelling to Nigeria or getting geared up?....

Had to cancel my Mum's KLM flight, due to the partial EU registered flight ban........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
Lexusgs430:
Any proper flights travelling to Nigeria or getting geared up?....

Had to cancel my Mum's KLM flight, due to the partial EU registered flight ban........

Yes a friend left this morning with BA and my MIL leaves next week with BA

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 8:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
no regrets at all.. .

made a huge career jump that wud have taken me like 5-7 years to achieve..

i miss my family and cant wait to have the uk citizenship so i can travel as i want.. no 90-180days restrictions per year..

tolajay:
CANDID QUESTION

Is there anyone here regretting relocating to the UK from Nigeria?

If yes, to what extent on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by BelleJay: 8:39pm On Sep 05, 2020
Good evening all. Please can I know a good site to book flight on? Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by famzynet: 8:50pm On Sep 05, 2020
BelleJay:
Travelbeta.com. They are good. Customer care is good.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by BelleJay: 9:01pm On Sep 05, 2020
Thank you

famzynet:

Travelbeta.com. They are good. Customer care is good.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:36am On Sep 06, 2020
BelleJay:

Direct from BA...... Very good price at the moment........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:36am On Sep 06, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Yes a friend left this morning with BA and my MIL leaves next week with BA

Thank you....... Very good prices at the moment.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobtob: 1:57am On Sep 06, 2020
think it depends on the date one requires...

Thank you....... Very good prices at the moment.......[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:18am On Sep 06, 2020
Tobtob:
think it depends on the date one requires...

Thank you....... Very good prices at the moment.......

Fix travel date on cheaper days........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by b543210: 6:46am On Sep 06, 2020
Please who knows if anyone from Nigeria has travelled to UK as they opened the international airport. I am trying to book flight for my brother from Nigeria to UK, he just got his student visa, but I am unsure if there is any travel ban for students coming into the UK now. Please any information will help. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:23am On Sep 06, 2020
b543210:
Please who knows if anyone from Nigeria has travelled to UK as they opened the international airport. I am trying to book flight for my brother from Nigeria to UK, he just got his student visa, but I am unsure if there is any travel ban for students coming into the UK now. Please any information will help. Thanks.

The first flight only started yesterday so still early days to see the end to end picture but I think slowly and steady it is back to norm for Nigeria

As for UK they never closed their airspace or ban anyone even at the height of covid. So if you need a flight here then check with Nigeria and see what airline has been officially approved to fly . Those ones their ticket should be good to go. Then check the airline policy on covid, if it is a direct flight then UK dont require but if the flight has stops then maybe one of the stop country requires it such as Lagos to london using Emirate
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Wishaky(f): 9:13am On Sep 06, 2020
Elderss:

Hello Kyngs, do you mind if I respond?

1. No, course information (along with the main application) should do.

2. No, current and previous MLSCN licenses should do.

3. Yes, you can write 'I am in English-speaking country'
Please check your mail.

4. With reasonable years of experience (if truly an MLS), your HCPC outcome should be favorable.

However, getting a job is different issue.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by BelleJay: 9:29am On Sep 06, 2020
Thank you

Lexusgs430:

Direct from BA...... Very good price at the moment........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by OlakunmiSMELTD: 11:13am On Sep 06, 2020
Please guy, where is the place for me to change my Naira to euro?
It is possible I change it at my bank ( GTB)

Secondly, I planned to use use local flight from Abuja to Lagos first, before talking the international flight.
My worries now is that, local flight is 20k
While international flight is 23kg * 2
My luggage is about 35kg *1

Will the local flight accept the 35kg or charge me ?
What could likely be the charge of the 15kg extra

Thirdly, international flight says 23kg * 2
But am only Carrying 35kg * 1
And 1 school bag
Will that be a problem or I must have 23kg and 12kg in another luagages
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:20am On Sep 06, 2020
OlakunmiSMELTD:

Secondly, I planned to use use local flight from Abuja to Lagos first, before talking the international flight.

And 1 school bag

You have to check with the airlines...but typically 23kg * 2 you cannot then decide to take 35kg in one bag... . Definitely don't work like that. Airline have rules and you have to stick with it. So yes that 35kg they will charge you anything over 23kg per bad and also even if they charge it is still a max of 32kg and never 35kg.

Best to buy an extra bag and split that load

Local flight yes will still charge you if you are over their baggage allowance

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by b543210: 12:13pm On Sep 06, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Thank you so much.

The first flight only started yesterday so still early days to see the end to end picture but I think slowly and steady it is back to norm for Nigeria

As for UK they never closed their airspace or ban anyone even at the height of covid. So if you need a flight here then check with Nigeria and see what airline has been officially approved to fly . Those ones their ticket should be good to go. Then check the airline policy on covid, if it is a direct flight then UK dont require but if the flight has stops then maybe one of the stop country requires it such as Lagos to london using Emirate
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobtob: 11:55am On Sep 07, 2020
please anyone have Naira in exchange for Pounds ? thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hubbysluv: 1:38pm On Sep 07, 2020
You can change your money with BDC operators inside the airport don't patronize those aboki outside Lagos airport o

Get another bag and divide the contents. This will favour you more and save you some money because the international airlines i know charges in $$ for extra kilo.
Also, why stressing yourself coming to Lagos since Abuja also have International airport? just asking

OlakunmiSMELTD:

And 1 school bag
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by br33zee: 4:49pm On Sep 07, 2020
Hi guys, i'm just joining the thread and i suppose some members here live in the UK. Please im in a dilenma right now. I need advice:

I'm getting married to my fiance soon and of course interested to leave with her.
She's a nurse....processing her papers to migrate to the UK.

I, on the other hand, mechanical engineer but since graduation, I've been in the tech space...dealing with digital marketing projects, wordpress (website) and graphic design projects. Eventually, developed two startups. One is a digital marketing startup. The other is a partnership. Also, I'm currently rounding up my online masters with University of South Wales btw

My issue is...if i move with my fiance after marriage, what am i chances in the UK (She's a nurse)

Additionally, I have an option to move to Canada as well but its for schooling....meaning I'd be dependent for a while.
I personally have made researches and Nigerians rate Canada more than the UK when it comes to the opportunities for immigrants. I want to know if this is really significant to consider in this my situation because my fiance is not entirely keen on moving to canada cos their nursing registration process is more rigorous as she might also have to do some courses before working!

Unless i move to canada and she moves to Uk and we maybe link up later. I dont know how thats meant to work! Please help clarify life and career opportunities in the UK for someone with my track record. That might help me make a decision. Thanks guys
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:34pm On Sep 07, 2020
br33zee:
Hi guys, i'm just joining the thread and i suppose some members here live in the UK. Please im in a dilenma right now. I need advice:

I'm getting married to my fiance soon and of course interested to leave with her.
She's a nurse....processing her papers to migrate to the UK.

I, on the other hand, mechanical engineer but since graduation, I've been in the tech space...dealing with digital marketing projects, wordpress (website) and graphic design projects. Eventually, developed two startups. One is a digital marketing startup. The other is a partnership. Also, I'm currently rounding up my online masters with University of South Wales btw

My issue is...if i move with my fiance after marriage, what am i chances in the UK (She's a nurse)

Additionally, I have an option to move to Canada as well but its for schooling....meaning I'd be dependent for a while.
I personally have made researches and Nigerians rate Canada more than the UK when it comes to the opportunities for immigrants. I want to know if this is really significant to consider in this my situation because my fiance is not entirely keen on moving to canada cos their nursing registration process is more rigorous as she might also have to do some courses before working!

Unless i move to canada and she moves to Uk and we maybe link up later. I dont know how thats meant to work! Please help clarify life and career opportunities in the UK for someone with my track record. That might help me make a decision. Thanks guys

A mech engineer can always switch careers so that absolutely fine. That a nigerian thing to think you are somewhat tied forever to your education background..... if you now in the tech field then you target on how to write your resume well within that field and market yourself well

How life will turn out nobody can predict. Both countries have opportunities and have their own challenges as well..... A good job in canada is not that easy as well....so don't be fooled wink It still boils down to how you sell and package yourself regardless of which country . But bottomline nobody can predict .... so choose any country that has to be a personal choice as well taking everything into consideration. Learn how to package yourself and tailor it to how that country does it and then aim or try and hope for the best .

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 5:50pm On Sep 07, 2020
TIER-2 VISA ADVICE NEEDED - Taking a second Job
Hello country people.

The screenshot below refers.

Does this mean that if I get a tier-2 CoS to work in the NHS (a nurse) for example, I cannot take a second, weekend evening job to work as a pizza maker in Dominoes? Or I cannot have a side-job to work as a bartender at Wetherspoons?

Does it mean if I am to take a second side hustle, It must be as a Nurse, or in any of the 'shortage occupation' jobs?

Please folks with experience, help.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 5:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
How much pounds do you need

Tobtob:
please anyone have Naira in exchange for Pounds ? thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 5:56pm On Sep 07, 2020
You can take a second job i.e working with ur employer and taking a second job as an agency nurse for example. However, rmba the more you work the more tax you will have to pay

RalphJean:
TIER-2 VISA ADVICE NEEDED - Taking a second Job
Hello country people.

The screenshot below refers.

Does this mean that if I get a tier-2 CoS to work in the NHS (a nurse) for example, I cannot take a second, weekend evening job to work as a pizza maker in Dominoes? Or I cannot have a side-job to work as a bartender at Wetherspoons?

Does it mean if I am to take a second side hustle, It must be as a Nurse, or in any of the 'shortage occupation' jobs?

Please folks with experience, help.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 6:14pm On Sep 07, 2020
omopapa:
You can take a second job i.e working with ur employer and taking a second job as an agency nurse for example. However, rmba the more you work the more tax you will have to pay

Thanks Omopapa.

But I cannot work with an agency as a cleaner in a hostel? or as a retail assistant at Aldi?

(1) (2) (3) ... (376) (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.