Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1297806 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 1:23am On Jun 15, 2018
Greenvilla:
Hi guys thanks for all your contributions on the credit search.

From my research it seems it is impossible to actually get a credit report as an individual if you cannot provide about 5 years UK address history.
Just as @Ralphlauren said

“there are software used to run checks on applicants that can within seconds check and confirm how long the applicant has lived at a particular address. If a firm uses such software, then expect your application to be refused”

My credit search is meant to be for a job, I wanted to have an idea of what prospective employers will see on my report.

You don't need to stress for that, just resgister with clearscore and noddle. Between them, you will have all the info regarding your credit file.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 8:43am On Jun 15, 2018
Greenvilla:
Hi guys thanks for all your contributions on the credit search.

From my research it seems it is impossible to actually get a credit report as an individual if you cannot provide about 5 years UK address history.

“there are software used to run checks on applicants that can within seconds check and confirm how long the applicant has lived at a particular address. If a firm uses such software, then expect your application to be refused”

My credit search is meant to be for a job, I wanted to have an idea of what prospective employers will see on my report.

As long as you haven’t lied on your CV , the information will match and you can explain any gap periods.

Almost everything now a credit check is done on you. If you take a look on your credit report you will see all the companies that have done credit checks on you. Even your bank when they are suspicious about certain movements of funds through your account, they will pass it on to hmrc who will do a check for fraud purposes. When you do your tax return a credit check is also done to verify that you are who you say you are. Even when you live at an address you’ve got to be careful it’s not been blacklisted or the people you share an address with have not been blacklisted.
Even when you fall in love and do joint accounts make sure that person has got a clean record or it will affect you as that person will be linked with you in your credit report. Etc
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 12:24pm On Jun 15, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

You don't need to stress for that, just resgister with clearscore and noddle. Between them, you will have all the info regarding your credit file.

So if I have not got a credit card and input less than 3years rental history how can I perform a credit check beginning to get worried with all this talks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 12:33pm On Jun 15, 2018
fatima04:

So if I have not got a credit card and input less than 3years rental history how can I perform a credit check beginning to get worried with all this talks

If you have a bank current account, and registered on the electoral roll, you have a credit file. It might not be detailed though. Noddle and clearscore are free to view the details of what you have recorded on you. Noddle pulls information from call credit while clearscore pulls from equifax.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:09pm On Jun 15, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

If you have a bank current account, and registered on the electoral roll, you have a credit file. It might not be detailed though. Noddle and clearscore are free to view the details of what you have recorded on you. Noddle pulls information from call credit while clearscore pulls from equifax.

Thank you for your response but it's still showing the 3years UK address thing does that mean I can't have access to it and so will banks and other peolpe searching?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:12pm On Jun 15, 2018
fatima04:

Thank you for your response but it's still showing the 3years UK address thing does that mean I can't have access to it and so will banks and other peolpe searching?

What is showing 3years UK address thing?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 8:19pm On Jun 15, 2018
The 2 sites you quoted. They require 3 year address history which is impossible as Naija postcode system died a horrible death. Thus, you'll be stuck at that stage in registration and won't go forward.

wonlasewonimi:

What is showing 3years UK address thing?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:33pm On Jun 15, 2018
Inkredible:
The 2 sites you quoted. They require 3 year address history which is impossible as Naija postcode system died a horrible death. Thus, you'll be stuck at that stage in registration and won't go forward.

Oh okay I didn't know that...unfortunately, I cant remember how I bypassed it when I first opened it.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:56pm On Jun 15, 2018
Yes exactly the issue I have been facing with those websites. Anyone has an idea how to bypass it should please share because waiting for 3 years to check the score may be tough
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:02pm On Jun 15, 2018
fatima04:
Yes exactly the issue I have been facing with those websites. Anyone has an idea how to bypass it should please share because waiting for 3 years to check the score may be tough

Wish I could help...not sure what will happen if you put more than 3 years there.

marylandcakes:

As long as you haven’t lied on your CV , the information will match and you can explain any gap periods.

Almost everything now a credit check is done on you. If you take a look on your credit report you will see all the companies that have done credit checks on you. Even your bank when they are suspicious about certain movements of funds through your account, they will pass it on to hmrc who will do a check for fraud purposes. When you do your tax return a credit check is also done to verify that you are who you say you are. Even when you live at an address you’ve got to be careful it’s not been blacklisted or the people you share an address with have not been blacklisted.
Even when you fall in love and do joint accounts make sure that person has got a clean record or it will affect you as that person will be linked with you in your credit report. Etc

This is not right. Your credit rating is based on your information alone.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:03pm On Jun 15, 2018
fatima04:

Do they have any lived abroad option?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:05pm On Jun 15, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Wish I could help...not sure what will happen if you put more than 3 years there.

This is not right. Your credit rating is based on your information alone.

Yes, but the address will be blacklisted, if you look on the credit report, you will see where they talk about the address being on some list
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:25pm On Jun 15, 2018
Ralphlauren:

I agree @ PM roles.

Anthing PM related - Project manager oh, PMO analyst oh, PMO support oh, blah blah are getting quite hard to come by these days. at its peak, PMO Analyst roles (glorified admin assistant in my own opinion) grin were cashing as much as £300 -£500 a day but now the roles are being advertised for as low as £150-£200 and those paying well are usually domain specific. the Project Manager roles these days come with very stringent requirements

my trick with them recruiters is to allow their call ring to voicemail. most times they leave a voicemail and/or a follow up email asking me to contact them. this gives me time to prepare before returning their call.

This is exactly what I do. I prefer to listen to the voicemail and call back, that way I’m more prepared.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:29pm On Jun 15, 2018
marylandcakes:

Whooooa! Hold up! We are about to open our joint account and his credit score is messed up, although he makes monthly payments to resurrect it.. are you trying to say that he will affect my precious credit score
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:44pm On Jun 15, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Whooooa! Hold up! We are about to open our joint account and his credit score is messed up, although he makes monthly payments to resurrect it.. are you trying to say that he will affect my precious credit score

Your credit is about to go down south if you open joint account....it takes 6 years to normalize any shyte on there.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:38am On Jun 16, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Your credit is about to go down south if you open joint account....it takes 6 years to normalize any shyte on there.

God bless you sir. You and marylandcakes I can’t believe I almost lost the little thing I’ve been trying hard to create and sustain. shocked
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:03am On Jun 16, 2018
This UK sef, too much palpitations.... that's why everybody has mental illness

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:14am On Jun 16, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

So what do we do. We wanted to opening a joint account for bills and little savings. Also I’ll need it for my FLR. Like I literally started building my score a month ago, so would he negatively affect my score? If I risk it, how long will it take for me to get a good score?

He has been paying the court or so back every month even before we started dating. Doesn’t that mean that he has less years to pay back? So this is how I’ll kiss my own home goodbye
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 1:51am On Jun 16, 2018
Aphrodite007:

So what do we do. We wanted to opening a joint account for bills and little savings. Also I’ll need it for my FLR. Like I literally started building my score a month ago, so would he negatively affect my score? If I risk it, how long will it take for me to get a good score?

He has been paying the court or so back every month even before we started dating. Doesn’t that mean that he has less years to pay back? So this is how I’ll kiss my own home goodbye

Thank God you saw this thread. Don’t open a joint account until his credit score is clean , his name will show on your credit report as a linked person. You can open an account for bills and ask him to put his share or the other way round, but please don’t do joint.. it will take a long time to unliked his name .

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 1:53am On Jun 16, 2018
DaveChapelle:
This UK set, too much palpitations.... that's why everybody has mental illness

Lol you are more likely to have that in Nigeria with all the chaotic systems that don’t work.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:59am On Jun 16, 2018
marylandcakes:

Thank God you saw this thread. Don’t open a joint account until his credit score is clean , his name will show on your credit report as a linked person. You can open an account for bills and ask him to put his share or the other way round, but please don’t do joint.. it will take a long time to unliked his name .

You are very kind. Thanks for the advice. But my mumu button never spoil yet. I read that I can influence his score positively- I guess I’ll have to make this sacrifice for a “greater good” of improving his score. It’s teally not about the bills or FLR, it’s just about wanting a joint account. Im really hurt by this but As far as I don’t lose my job (work in a bank), I think I can cope.

Thanks. I’ll still ask around to know if there’s a way around the score thing or to find out how low my score will go. I don’t even know the score sef that I’m worried about
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 2:06am On Jun 16, 2018
marylandcakes:

Lol you are more likely to have that in Nigeria with all the chaotic systems that don’t work.

In Nigeria, you can always have a choice, in a way...wuru wuru things....not the best, but for example, they can't take your driver's license away from you for overspeeding
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 7:04am On Jun 16, 2018
Aphrodite007:

You are very kind. Thanks for the advice. But my mumu button never spoil yet. I read that I can influence his score positively- I guess I’ll have to make this sacrifice for a “greater good” of improving his score. It’s teally not about the bills or FLR, it’s just about wanting a joint account. Im really hurt by this but As far as I don’t lose my job (work in a bank), I think I can cope.

Thanks. I’ll still ask around to know if there’s a way around the score thing or to find out how low my score will go. I don’t even know the score sef that I’m worried about

Thanks, at the end of the day it’s a personal choice. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:39am On Jun 16, 2018
Aphrodite007:

If I am your OH, I wouldn't let you open a joint account with me considering the bad state of the credit rating. I can hazard a guess that he has got ccj, that will affect your bank job if you don't know. Banks and other financial services review employees credit standing periodically. If they realise you are linked to someone or you are in financial mess, that's the job on the line.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:40am On Jun 16, 2018
Don't think you can have any positive influence on him for now as you are just building your credit history.

As other people have said, joint account will automatically link the 2 of you. The person will be your financial associates. It will not affect your credit score but it will be on your credit report. Most lenders and employers will be interested in the credit history of the person and can use that to make decision on whether to lend you money or not. Employers in the financial industry might also be interested as your financial associates can influence your behaviour financially.

With regard to credit score, I don't think you should be bothered about it for now. Just concentrate on building your credit history and avoid any defaults/ missed payments. You can ask your hubby for his credit report and score and see the impact of the defaults. This might help when making the decision whether to open a joint account with him or not.
Aphrodite007:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 8:43am On Jun 16, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Great plan. Wish you the best. Please update us.

But that house for 500-600 should better have heaven under it o! Ha!

I wish!!! Make we dey go,who knows the decisions we will take sef.

@fatima04

Congrats Fatimaaaa grin grin grin grin
Fantastic news!!! Do and splurge on work clothes..Asos,zara,m&s,next have affordable clothing.
I nor dey primark abeg,wash and rinse one time and it's gone.Eg I used to get my childrens pyjamas from there but every second na tear tear. I now do their pyjamas in h&m,m&s,Tu for sainsbury and they've not failed me,last longer and wash better.
I don't see the point in buying 100 nonsense things ,that you will end up replacing.

Office politics,i don't know mann.

Usual chat..Hello Jane, how was your weekend? classic answer 'Great,i went to loch lomond with my bf and we watched the birds and played a little golf then went to tea in that posh corner,we met up with his mother(kill me now) *brittle laugh*..

How was yours Fatima? You can't just say fine and shut up.Fine? eheeeee? what next?(that's how they'll be looking at you..how can you just say fine?what happened to make it fine?

Normal reply is ' Good too,we took the kids to watch peppa pig live in manchester...*insert fake laugh**it was great. Or ' I spent the weekend at home trying to get some sleep,did my cleaning and some cooking' etc etc

Prepare to hear life history immediately you meet someone & be prepared to be asked everything,i mean EVERYTHING! People aren't that hidey hidey about anything ,money o,relationship o.It's not like naija everything shrouded in secrecy..It's not being done for you to be best friends,it's just normal gist.

You will learn how to moan about the weather,weather discussion is a serious matter & usual opening to start long chat

There are some naija opinions you will have to learn to keep to yourself eg same sex relationships,trans,divorce,cohabitation,smoking,drinking and vomitting etc.You will meet all sorts of people in your work place & learn that everyone is a person free to love however they choose.
Everything you spat at in naija will start appearing normal to you.

You will also learn fast that someone you talked with for 1 hour the day before can see you next day ,keep straight face and pass you without blinking.Don't take it personal,you sef will learn the art of air kissing,staccato laughs & straight face the next day.

You may have to attend office teas,office christmas parties etc to show you are a team player and also to network.Good luck with that,i have managed to escape a lot so far as my job is fast paced.

People who work in office spaces will come soon to say more..enjoy!!

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:44am On Jun 16, 2018
Congrats Fatima once again!! So happy that your resilience and hardwork paid off.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 8:47am On Jun 16, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Not about mumu button,it's about long term repercussions and planning ahead. You'll need good credit for a lot of things,in my humble opinion it would be wiser to keep finances separate so you both don't spoil things for your future,job,mortgage etc.

If things stay great for you,it's the family as a whole that benefits. Different accounts doesn't mean love is less,you both have to play smart for now till you get what you want

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 9:01am On Jun 16, 2018
Ralphlauren:

congratulations. that's another migrant family leaving for England. you see why sturgeon keeps screaming that Scotland needs more immigrants? grin

start the house hunting as soon as you relocate. you will be surprised that it getting a house that ticks all your boxes might not be that easy to come by. if you can put than more than 10% of the mortgage deposit, please do - it will reduce your monthly repayments. shop around for a good deal (consider using a broker) and also consider going for at least 3years fixed deal (nobody knows what's going to happen after brexit - interest rate might go up). rent a basic apartment as this will make you uncomfortable and give you the push to buy your own home asap.

finally, I know we Nigerians hate the phrase 'life insurance' but for a mortgage that size, if you do not have a policy already, consider getting one (with critical illness cover) or get another life insurance policy (if you have one already) that's guarantees a payout that covers the entire outstanding amount of the mortgage.

Thanks Sir,
Yes oo another migrant family moving,I love scotland but i'm getting tired of SNP moaning,i will return when i'm old and have made all the money grin

We have marked out 75-80 for deposit then about 30 for stamp duty,solicitor and keep building up.I'm now finding it hard to empty account just cos of buying house but it has to be done. Rent in england is very high shocked shocked so i'm mega inspired to buy quicker.Ordinary fees plus rent for a basic house plus that deposit you pay is heading to 5k. Moving costs nko? I'm in pain and will remain in pain monthly till we purchase that house.

Husband already has life insurance plus income protection ..we got it off a financial service company but i haven't joined because i think it's costly(hundreds pcm),pension is with them too,the children's investment ISA as well,i don't know if it's a good idea.

I'm set to do mine,any pointing in the right direction will be appreciated.I have said we are useless with money planning stuff

*Modified*

I will also add the dilemma of choice : Very good area with good state schools knowing that being in catchment means paying a deadly premium for house then build up cash to help kids later in life OR Buying in an ok place and paying for school after P7 ..So many arguments for/against independent education. My kids are young and one is already only interested in playing 24/7,Not showing einstein signals and may not be hot housed into grammar.Maybe would benefit from smaller classes .This same child i put in a council swim class but just wasn't thriving/concentrating at all with 5 other kids present.We went private with a one on one teacher and have seen massive improvement.Sensitive,loving,kind and very gentle child was the end of year report,i am quite worried about so many things.Ability to stand up for self etc
I wonder if anyone had all these traits as a child and turned out rugged? This world is hard for sme sme people.

It would be great if these discussions are had as we on here are Nigerian and understand where im coming from? Sorry if i'm digressing.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 9:04am On Jun 16, 2018
DaveChapelle:
how do you get by longterm leases? 12 months

Long term?Max for me is 6 months o.I nor dey find forever rental
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 9:11am On Jun 16, 2018
Mamatukwas:

So far so good oh... I like the peace and quiet especially for my kids but I wish there were more black people in this zone... To think I order yam and plantain from london sad

Current goal is to conquer this car matter then move on to other things. Pls which one is KSS area? The south etc? I know google might be able to tell me but pls enlighten me what people mean when they say all these North, south etc... I only know England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland smiley

For black presence you'll need to move to glasgow.My area i think we are just 3-4 blacks living in different parts,jam by mistake kind of thing and yet too busy to socialise. I usually import my naija pals kids to play with mine or export them to play at theirs ie if you are looking for african flava.

There are african stoes in glasgow naa,why are you getting yam and plantain from london shocked shocked shocked

KSS- Kent surrey sussex.. I think while in scotland and i say im going down south,means im going to england. North england is yorkshire,harrogate and co. South is London and home counties?I'm not very versed in england matter,i hope those who live there can enlighten us.

from wikipedia : North–South divide in the United Kingdom. In Great Britain, the term North–South divide refers to the economic and cultural differences between Southern England and the rest of Great Britain (Northern England, The Midlands, Wales and Scotland). The divide cuts through the English Midlands.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:06pm On Jun 16, 2018
imnotconfused:

Not about mumu button,it's about long term repercussions and planning ahead. You'll need good credit for a lot of things,in my humble opinion it would be wiser to keep finances separate so you both don't spoil things for your future,job,mortgage etc.

If things stay great for you,it's the family as a whole that benefits. Different accounts doesn't mean love is less,you both have to play smart for now till you get what you want

Thanks dear. Yeah this is very true. We both get to benefit if I have a good credit score. That’s a very strong point.

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.