Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (521) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1301342 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:16pm On Jan 14, 2021
fatima04:

We even tried to repaint most section and it wasn't too obvious. We took pictures but not video (mistake on my part). Because we had direct relationship with the LL, we went to drop the keys and he visited several days after.

Now some of the pictures he sent after 13days of dropping the keys differs from what we took.

He sent the pictures for us to defend ourselves grin grin, hasn't sent any quotes whatsoever.

The only major thing we caused was just one rug/window stain we forgot to remove in one of the bedrooms but the link on Homelet categorise this as fair wear and tear.

https://homelet.co.uk/landlord-insurance/landlord-lowdown-blog/article/wear-and-tear-what-is-deemed-acceptable. Just want to have more ammunition before firing our response.

It just looks like the landlord wants to colobi some of your deposit...........

When you said the pictures differ..... Like night and day.......

A template to guide you...... Add additional info........

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-asking-for-your-deposit-back-if-paid-after-6-april-2007
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:49pm On Jan 14, 2021
fatima04:

We even tried to repaint most section and it wasn't too obvious. We took pictures but not video (mistake on my part). Because we had direct relationship with the LL, we went to drop the keys and he visited several days after.

Now some of the pictures he sent after 13days of dropping the keys differs from what we took.

He sent the pictures for us to defend ourselves grin grin, hasn't sent any quotes whatsoever.

The only major thing we caused was just one rug/window stain we forgot to remove in one of the bedrooms but the link on Homelet categorise this as fair wear and tear.

https://homelet.co.uk/landlord-insurance/landlord-lowdown-blog/article/wear-and-tear-what-is-deemed-acceptable. Just want to have more ammunition before firing our response.

Every time I see these type of posts my heart skips a few beats. Cause us it’s only the LORD Himself that will help us cry
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2021
Lexusgs430:

It just looks like the landlord wants to colobi some of your deposit...........

When you said the pictures differ..... Like night and day.......

A template to guide you...... Add additional info........

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-asking-for-your-deposit-back-if-paid-after-6-april-2007

Yes its beginning to seem like it, and we had a good relationship oo. Money sha. He sent pictures of a chipped boiler cabinet and I have got clear pictures of the same cabinet not chipped at all which seemed shady.

He even took pictures of these blue stains in the bath tub which was caused by his own use of copper pipe and ph value of the water in the area. Guess because it was new build he wanted us to return it in the same condition almost 2years after.

Thanks for the link
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 4:47pm On Jan 14, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Every time I see these type of posts my heart skips a few beats. Cause us it’s only the LORD Himself that will help us cry

My sister, na only God can help us oo. To think we were getting expensive easy fit blinds to avoid drilling the house. We for decorate am well well sef grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 5:12pm On Jan 14, 2021
is the LL trying to keep hold of all the deposit or a percentage he's not disclosing yet?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2021
Anyone aware of this new policy? I download the nvp policy 2020 by PWC but couldnt see anything related.

Passport expiring in 3 months!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIskIAw4O9E
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:23pm On Jan 14, 2021
fatima04:
@All, Please does anyone have a link to an official list of fair wear and tear in the case of settling a deposit dispute. I got one from Homelet and not any other website. My LL sent some pictures of some scruff marks on the wall and door.

Also, should we be agreeing to cleaning charges being deducted despite the house was thoroughly cleaned before we moved and even retouched painting in some areas.

It is the government that creates this situation.....

changing the rules and taxing BTL more so now , money that would have gone into wear and tear is going into taxes which forces the Landlord to pass that cost to Tenant or else you run at a loss.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 5:26pm On Jan 14, 2021
fatima04:

My sister, na only God can help us oo. To think we were getting expensive easy fit blinds to avoid drilling the house. We for decorate am well well sef grin grin

I think I have mentioned it here before that you have to be flying like angels around the house throughout the duration of your stay in order to get your full deposit back from these crazy landlords.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:35pm On Jan 14, 2021
DisGuy:
is the LL trying to keep hold of all the deposit or a percentage he's not disclosing yet?

He hasn't disclosed it yet, made it seen like we should have a discussion. Only for him to be sending picture updates now of the bathtub, tiles and all sorts being removed and refitted. It's becoming annoying to be honest.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:36pm On Jan 14, 2021
LagosismyHome:

It is the government that creates this situation.....

changing the rules and taxing BTL more so now , money that would have gone into wear and tear is going into taxes which forces the Landlord to pass that cost to Tenant or else you run at a loss.

Hmmm, na us the suffer it now. The stains are so minor, wish I could even post some
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:38pm On Jan 14, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

I think I have mentioned it here before that you have to be flying like angels around the house throughout the duration of your stay in order to get your full deposit back from these crazy landlords.

Na real angels level apparently. I also think dealing with a new LL is not advisable. If it was an agent we would have known their stance from inspections and d day we moved out, not 2weeks after
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 6:54pm On Jan 14, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Before you start making any bids at all..............

Do yourself this very big favour, register with www.ourproperty.co.uk.............

By taking/making this vital step, you would see how much properties sold for within set miles (going back about 10 years)........

You might even see the property, you are intending to place a bid on (to know how much then wan chop for your head)........... grin cool tongue

I have registered. Thanks.

The thing get has e be. Some houses on Zoopla includes their price as seen on land registry.

Sometimes I don't understand how they come about their prices within a short period of time.

Do houses appreciate as fast as bitcoin cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 6:56pm On Jan 14, 2021
EngrSaks:

On the market for 6 months can mean the home owner is asking for an above market price. On the flip side it could be that the deals keep falling through and you would get an owner who would want to sell fast...

Go as low as you want, houses currently on the market are overpriced so feel free to take off as much as 20%...if they reject the offer you can top up a little...
Thank you for this. But if an advert says bids over 800..... Can one go ahead and bid below the price?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 7:05pm On Jan 14, 2021
Endlessgrace:

Firstly I’ll recommend you register on ‘checkmyfile’ it’s a platform that has all the three credit agencies (Equifax, Experian and transunion). They’ll be able to give you a comprehensive credit report from all the three and i think the first month is free. The score isnt as important as your report(missed payments, ccjs, UVA, etc) so look out for that.

Secondly, register with developers for new builds or estate agents for old builds. Most houses would have been on the estate agents’ websites for some time before finding its way to Zoopla, Rightmove and others. And with the current climate (due to stamp duty holiday) properties are gone before you can say ‘jack’.

Only offer what you feel a house is worth to you and never go overboard, there’s no crime in putting down any offer, the worst that can happen is the seller saying no or to decline your offer.

There are lots of property buying groups you can join on Facebook, they helped me a lot when i was getting my place.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask and I’ll try my best to answer the little i know
I did Experian free trial and my record is clean. However, they miraculously deducted 52 points saying that I'm not on the electoral roll, which because I reconfirmed for the electoral office.

I would check on the estate agents website as advised.

Could you please give names of this groups. "Property buying uk". Isn't bringing valuable results.

Thanks for your input.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 7:28pm On Jan 14, 2021
Braket:

Thank you for this. But if an advert says bids over 800..... Can one go ahead and bid below the price?

All na advert...them no go beat person for low bid, lol

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 8:01pm On Jan 14, 2021
has any of you lovely people shuffled past Nigeria House recently? are they open? they wont pick their darned phones

I need a passport renewal
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:10pm On Jan 14, 2021
fatima04:

Na real angels level apparently. I also think dealing with a new LL is not advisable. If it was an agent we would have known their stance from inspections and d day we moved out, not 2weeks after

All of them are the same. I'd have thought direct LLs are more lenient and understanding.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:22pm On Jan 14, 2021
Braket:

I have registered. Thanks.

The thing get has e be. Some houses on Zoopla includes their price as seen on land registry.

Sometimes I don't understand how they come about their prices within a short period of time.

Do houses appreciate as fast as bitcoin cheesy

Some houses in uk have made a killing especially london in terms of appreciation. You see prices way over the average salary affordability and yet once listed it doesnt stay in the market for london. It crazy

I been tracking house prices fall for some years and have given up hope that it happening anytime soon. Instead it goes up and up
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Enibs: 9:05pm On Jan 14, 2021
Hello Chima, saw your post from 2019.wow congratulations dear, welldone. Pls could you help me with cbt study materials, I really need them. eniotoks@gmail.com. Thanks
cchimaa:
Good morning the whole house and well done for the good job you are doing here.

I need guidance please.

I’m a nurse and I moved to the UK January this year.

I’ve passed my OSCE and planning to bring my family members after the pandemic.

I wish to bring my husband and two children (both are below 18years)

I want to know what steps to take and the cost implication for the three (3) of them.

I’m planning against August so the kids can resume school by September (all things being equal)

Thank you very much
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:25pm On Jan 14, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Hahahaha!
It’s like your kids will have to start working so they can contribute to such payments grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Endlessgrace: 9:37pm On Jan 14, 2021
Braket:

I did Experian free trial and my record is clean. However, they miraculously deducted 52 points saying that I'm not on the electoral roll, which because I reconfirmed for the electoral office.

I would check on the estate agents website as advised.

Could you please give names of this groups. "Property buying uk". Isn't bringing valuable results.

Thanks for your input.

This is it
First time buyers- advice and discussion uk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TRAY2(m): 11:18pm On Jan 14, 2021
Braket:
Senior home owners, how did you lowball(made a bid).

I have read almost all articles online. The advice is 10 to 15%.

However, checking Zoopla for houses that have been sold, there's an average of just 5k off the listing.

Is there any tip about making a good and acceptable. tip from your personal experiences?

Can you lowball a listing that says "prices over..." Or guide price "30-50". Even though it has been on the market for almost 6 months.

Tray2, RalphLauren, justwise, Lexusgs430... plus everyone that has an advice.

Btw, credit score is taking shape and working on getting my records from TransUnion and Equifax.
Thanks to everyone that gave their input.

In addition to what Lexusgs had said, Check on rightmove.co.uk for houses and click on the house of your choice you will find the cost of houses sold around that area,then use it as a bargaining proof,and the thing is if the house is overvalued during valuation your lender might reject the price, for me i was lucky the owner was my colleague who was retiring and relocating, so it was direct no estate agents involved, as for new builds i try to avoid them as the rooms are quite small most without wardropes, but more energy efficient, as the developers are more interested in making profit. I hope you get sorted soon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TRAY2(m): 11:23pm On Jan 14, 2021
Braket:

Like in excess of ... means you can’t go below that price, it’s like a guide price. If a house has been on the market for very long, i won’t trust it, also avoid getting into a chain, the good ones people will rush it, try not to price down too low as the seller may not take you seriously,i’d suggest 20k-30k down first depending on the price.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:42am On Jan 15, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Hahahaha!
It’s like your kids will have to start working so they can contribute to such payments grin

I can only Sigh. My mouth can’t say what my eye is seeing! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hebraeem: 6:44am On Jan 15, 2021
Hebraeem:
Hello Great British-Nigerians, grin Am from the Tier 4 Visa thread who just arrived in the UK in october for Msc Data analytics. Please are there any data analyst whether in Finance or IT in the house? I would be grateful if we can connect and answer some few questions I have concerning job applications in this emerging field and settlement in this Queen's country. Thank you and God bless.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 9:59am On Jan 15, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Some houses in uk have made a killing especially london in terms of appreciation. You see prices way over the average salary affordability and yet once listed it doesnt stay in the market for london. It crazy

I been tracking house prices fall for some years and have given up hope that it happening anytime soon. Instead it goes up and up

London is on another level. The closer you are to London, the more expensive properties are.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 9:59am On Jan 15, 2021
Endlessgrace:

This is it
First time buyers- advice and discussion uk
Joined, thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 10:03am On Jan 15, 2021
TRAY2:

In addition to what Lexusgs had said, Check on rightmove.co.uk for houses and click on the house of your choice you will find the cost of houses sold around that area,then use it as a bargaining proof,and the thing is if the house is overvalued during valuation your lender might reject the price, for me i was lucky the owner was my colleague who was retiring and relocating, so it was direct no estate agents involved, as for new builds i try to avoid them as the rooms are quite small most without wardropes, but more energy efficient, as the developers are more interested in making profit. I hope you get sorted soon.
Thanks.
Zoopla has this feature to. It sometimes states how much it was last sold.

You're right, new builds are energy efficient, but the rooms are tiny, even the lounge, garden.....

Lucky you indeed.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 12:39pm On Jan 15, 2021
DisGuy:
Anyone aware of this new policy? I download the nvp policy 2020 by PWC but couldnt see anything related.

Passport expiring in 3 months!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIskIAw4O9E

I really need more info about this, my passport expired last year and if this news is true then i don't have to worry about dealing with Nigerian embassy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 1:12pm On Jan 15, 2021
Quick question Justwise, do you know what people whose passports are near expiry are doing since embassy still closed? Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:17pm On Jan 15, 2021
missjekyll:
Quick question Justwise, do you know what people whose passports are near expiry are doing since embassy still closed? Thank you

No idea though people still travel with expired Nigerian passport

(1) (2) (3) ... (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.