Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,843 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:06 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (554) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1285161 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) (557) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 1:17pm On Feb 17, 2021
Aphrodite007:

One bottle of Smirnoff for you! I hear young people shouting that they want to be president, they want to lead. Me I asked them if they have ever done anything in their street or village?

They can’t even be good to neighbours but somehow think they will be better leaders.

Can’t wait to change my passport. I will stop coming to nairaland cheesy wink

Na lie!! You that can't stop minding ya business cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 1:22pm On Feb 17, 2021
tushqueen:
Please I need some enlightenment regarding council tax.

I used to think it's paid as part of a household's utility bill. I'm being made to understand that its nice for each person to pay if husband n wife are both employed so that their immigration status can be interdependent on each other. Thus if one person gets frustrated with his job, their immigration status is retained/stable.

I don't seem to understand this

Can you clarify what you've been told...i don't think each person can pay separately....or perhaps they mean it's better to have both names on the council tax bill
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2021
DisGuy:

Na lie!! You that can't stop minding ya business cheesy

Hahahahahaha I’m telling you grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2021
Lexusgs430:

You can take this fish out of water, but not the water, out of the fish....... grin

grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 6:15pm On Feb 17, 2021
RalphJean:

shuooooooooo

You people should leave me to go o! Don’t hold me or beg me o! grin

I’m not even sure I can survive not being Nigerian cry
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bmuhd4smile: 6:48pm On Feb 17, 2021
Please house, anyone running MBA programme in the UK currently?

Someone said I will get 2yrs and 6months visa for the program. 1year for class and 1year for work. Then I will be given another 2years for work again. Abeg how true is this o
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beryour(m): 8:00pm On Feb 17, 2021
What is the duration of your course?

Someone can say anything they like! smiley

Bmuhd4smile:

Someone said I will get 2yrs and 6months visa for the program. 1year for class and 1year for work. Then I will be given another 2years for work again. Abeg how true is this o

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 8:05pm On Feb 17, 2021
In theory, yes it's true smiley

Some MBA with Internship comes with 2 years + 2 years PSW. If you however don't get internship, it will be downgraded to MBA with no internship which is a year but you will still have your + 2 years PSW

Bmuhd4smile:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bmuhd4smile: 9:09pm On Feb 17, 2021
Bourne007:
In theory, yes it's true smiley

Some MBA with Internship comes with 2 years + 2 years PSW. If you however don't get internship, it will be downgraded to MBA with no internship which is a year but you will still have your + 2 years PSW

Is GMAT compulsory
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 9:30pm On Feb 17, 2021
tushqueen:
Please I need some enlightenment regarding council tax.

I used to think it's paid as part of a household's utility bill. I'm being made to understand that its nice for each person to pay if husband n wife are both employed so that their immigration status can be interdependent on each other. Thus if one person gets frustrated with his job, their immigration status is retained/stable.

I don't seem to understand this

Council tax has nothing to do with immigration status. It doesn't influence your visa application.

Fail to pay your council tax and they will send the bailiffs after you. They are very quick and waste no time.
https://moneyaware.co.uk/2018/10/what-happens-if-i-dont-pay-my-council-tax/

Infact, your council tax is more important than your gas and electricity bill. Council tax pays for waste collection, roads, schools, public amenities,etc.

You can decide to have either or both names or none at all on the council tax letter. Totally up to you.

What matters to the council is the money they get from EACH address. Which is why even empty properties are subject to council tax unless you apply for a waiver and the council decides to grant it.

Council tax is not paid per person that lives at a property. It is a tax on EACH address irrespective of the number of adults or children living at the address. Students and under 16 (I believe) are exempted from council tax and if you live alone, you are eligible for a 25% discount.

Paying council tax and being on the electoral roll are two different things. You can be named on the electoral roll and not on the council tax bill and vice versa. Adding your name to the council tax and adding a name to the electoral roll are two different applications. You can decide to do neither or either or both. What matters to the council is that they get their money (tax) from every address from the named person on the council tax account.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jesudaughter(f): 10:26pm On Feb 17, 2021
Please help explain the electoral roll, what is it? I recently got a mail like that not opened yet. How important is it?

Ralphlauren:

Council tax has nothing to do with immigration status. It doesn't influence your visa application.

Fail to pay your council tax and they will send the bailiffs after you. They are very quick and waste no time.

Infact, your council tax is more important than your gas and electricity bill. Council tax pays for waste collection, roads, schools, public amenities,etc.

You can decide to have either or both names or none at all on the council tax letter. Totally up to you.

What matters to the council is the money they get from EACH address. Which is why even empty properties are subject to council tax unless you apply for a waiver and the council decides to grant it.

Council tax is not paid per person that lives at a property. It is a tax on EACH address irrespective of the number of adults or children living at the address. Students and under 16 (I believe) are exempted from council tax and if you live alone, you are eligible for a 25% discount.

Paying council tax and being on the electoral roll are two different things. You can be named on the electoral roll and not on the council tax bill and vice versa. Adding your name to the council tax and adding a name to the electoral roll are two different applications. You can decide to do neither or either or both. What matters to the council is that they get their money (tax) from every address from the named person on the council tax account.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 10:44pm On Feb 17, 2021
jesudaughter:
Please help explain the electoral roll, what is it? I recently got a mail like that not opened yet. How important is it?

Why na. You dey fear bills?

Electoral roll basically is putting your name on the list of eligible voters in the council area.

It is also used by credit bureau to ascertain your 'stability' or how long you've lived at a particular address- more points on your file

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jesudaughter(f): 11:56pm On Feb 17, 2021
Oh ok! Thank you jare

I dey fear, now I can open it in peace.�

DisGuy:

Why na. You dey fear bills?

Electoral roll basically is putting your name on the list of eligible voters in the council area.

It is also used by credit bureau to ascertain your 'stability' or how long you've lived at a particular address- more points on your file

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tushqueen(f): 12:28am On Feb 18, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Interesting.. I didn’t know council tax could do such magic haha

Council tax is just a payment you should make to your council for maintenance of that council. It helps to pay it if you’re on a spousal visa. I think people can get away with not paying it on other visas. But it helps with your credit file because some councils add you to the electoral roll if you’re paying.

Also you really should pay your council tax.

Let me reframe my question thus; if the husband is working and the wife is working as well, each of them should pay council tax for the same house.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tushqueen(f): 12:31am On Feb 18, 2021
Ralphlauren:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, God bless you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:36am On Feb 18, 2021
tushqueen:

Let me reframe my question thus; if the husband is working and the wife is working as well, each of them should pay council tax for the same house.

Having both names on the bill can be an indication that the couple live in one house... which is a good thing for spouse visa. So for me yes both names should be on the bill

How you setup the payment or direct debit is another thing . That the couple need to decide. Its one bill with both names

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 1:57am On Feb 18, 2021
jesudaughter:
Oh ok! Thank you jare

I dey fear, now I can open it in peace.�

Lol.
What will you now do if you get a letter from HMRC then? grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 8:57am On Feb 18, 2021
tushqueen:

If the bill is £1000 for example, that's what your household will pay whether it comes out of your account or your spouse's account. It's better to have both names on it so that you can use the bill as one of the evidences that you live together when applying for your spousal visa. The bill does not increase with the number of names on it except if you claim single household. In that case councils give discounts if fewer people live in a house, which does not seem to be your case.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:16am On Feb 18, 2021
tushqueen:

Yes love.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ODAVI(m): 10:46am On Feb 18, 2021
Hello Good Morning,

Please what is the rate for Pounds today.

I intend to pay online for about 902.17 pounds.

Many thanks

CC Shallypop

Mamatukwas:

Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately no I can’t help you with Dollars. Pounds for Naira yes.

Hope you get sorted. Cheers.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 11:22am On Feb 18, 2021
ODAVI:
Hello Good Morning,

Please what is the rate for Pounds today.

I intend to pay online for about 902.17 pounds.

Many thanks

CC Shallypop

Question is, what are you paying for?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ronkieluv: 11:51am On Feb 18, 2021
please I want to ask if its advisable to use agent to secure a job in Europe.there is one that I have been receiving mails from of recent they said their services are free but when it got a stage of getting some legal document I was referred to a company that can get it for me for28.30euro and that's where my fears is.pls I need response
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 12:05pm On Feb 18, 2021
ronkieluv:
please I want to ask if its advisable to use agent to secure a job in Europe.there is one that I have been receiving mails from of recent they said their services are free but when it got a stage of getting some legal document[b][/b] I was referred to a company that can get it for me for28.30euro and that's where my fears is.pls I need response

What legal document and what is the name of the agent?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by famzynet: 12:17pm On Feb 18, 2021
Captaincool1:
This is what I was sent some weeks back.

You will be sponsored initially for a 4 years working visa in the position of Senior Support Worker, earning 28k pounds a year. The visa can be extended if need be.

These are the official financial outlays.
Sponsorship licence for visa is 1655 pounds
Visa Application fee is 610 pounds
NHS Health surcharge 624 pounds each year 3yrs is 1872pounds
Proof of 1270 pounds in hand to initially settle in UK.
With tfare amounts to 6.5k pounds

You need to get an international driving lincence and should be able to drive from Nigeria.

Please what's your take.
Run. Scammers
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 12:18pm On Feb 18, 2021
ronkieluv:
please I want to ask if its advisable to use agent to secure a job in Europe.there is one that I have been receiving mails from of recent they said their services are free but when it got a stage of getting some legal document I was referred to a company that can get it for me for28.30euro and that's where my fears is.pls I need response

Ask yourself:
1. What is the job?
2. Deep within you do you feel qualified fir the job?
3. Go to your browser, input
www.Google.com
Then in the space, write the following: <job title> <name of country> <name of agent> then click enter and browse the results.
For example: Hairdresser Italy yankee travellers incorporated plc nigeria.

4. Come back here and ask your questions.

#EgungunBeKiaful

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Glass123: 1:23pm On Feb 18, 2021
Hello house , good afternoon
Please can any one share with me here the best City to move to from Nigeria to the UK like City with more job opportunities and affordable lifestyle in the uk .
And also a good school to go to for masters . I have a BSc in accounting. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 1:28pm On Feb 18, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Having both names on the bill can be an indication that the couple live in one house... which is a good thing for spouse visa. So for me yes both names should be on the bill

How you setup the payment or direct debit is another thing . That the couple need to decide. Its one bill with both names

There are other ways of proving a couple live together... Bills are important as a means of ID and part what is required for FLR and ILR application etc.

Now, the issue of having joint names on the council tax bill. It is a choice really - sometimes, it is hard add multiple names to the bill itself but declaring all those that live in the property is another.

Usually, a dependant spouse or those on spousal visa have no recourse to public funds, in essence they get nothing from the government and the host/sponsor loses his or her 25% single occupancy rebate. Choices!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 1:31pm On Feb 18, 2021
5gee:

If the bill is £1000 for example, that's what your household will pay whether it comes out of your account or your spouse's account. It's better to have both names on it so that you can use the bill as one of the evidences that you live together when applying for your spousal visa. The bill does not increase with the number of names on it except if you claim single household. In that case councils give discounts if fewer people live in a house, which does not seem to be your case.

Sorry, I repeated your point about the discount for single occupancy... All good?

Too much hearsay though - people that live in the UK or have lived here for a long time should know some of the questions they are asking here...

A quick internet search or going to the .gov website answers some of these questions - perhaps people need some induction how to conduct browser searches on the internet?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ODAVI(m): 3:17pm On Feb 18, 2021
UK FEES.

MY FRIST INSTALLMENT VIA ONLINE PORTAL

RalphJean:

Question is, what are you paying for?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2021
Ralphlauren:

If you noticed I said “some” councils, when I commented about the electoral roll. In my previous council, I added myself to the electoral roll but wasn’t yet on the council tax. In this new council that I live in, they didn’t add me to the electoral roll yet, until it went through the council for confirmation that I live in my house. Ergo, if i hadn’t told the council that I lived here (CTax), they may have bounced my electoral roll application. The message I got after applying for the ER, was that my council would confirm to me if I’ve been added or not.

That being said, for people on spousal visas, they may need to add the two names to the CTax, not just for having joint bills, but because CTax gets requested for when applying for FLR (I’ll confirm how they asked for the doc).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 3:35pm On Feb 18, 2021
chrisj2:

There are other ways of proving a couple live together... Bills are important as a means of ID and part what is required for FLR and ILR application etc.

Now, the issue of having joint names on the council tax bill. It is a choice really - sometimes, it is hard add multiple names to the bill itself but declaring all those that live in the property is another.

Usually, a dependant spouse or those on spousal visa have no recourse to public funds, in essence they get nothing from the government and the host/sponsor loses his or her 25% single occupancy rebate. Choices!

But the host is not single if they are married, so why lie?

Yes you may not be caught unless your visa requires that documentation to prove that the couple live together, but why lie? How much is it that you want to save by lying?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 3:58pm On Feb 18, 2021
ODAVI:
UK FEES.

MY FRIST INSTALLMENT VIA ONLINE PORTAL

Just have plenty money. Use black market rates to estimate. Then pay. If any remains, it’s in your account.

(1) (2) (3) ... (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) (557) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.