Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,556 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (617) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1301688 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (614) (615) (616) (617) (618) (619) (620) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 8:39pm On May 12, 2021
AirBay:
My "Nigerian Landlord" Scammed me too undecided

grin Na to go burst that guy head when I return to UK.

I made a post about Yorkshire water sending me repeated emails that I owe them £750, this was supposed to be part of my rent as seen in the housing Agreement

BUT when the Yorkshire water agent came to my house, he met the landlord and the "Nigerian Landlord Scammer" told him that the student living in the house is responsible for the water bill. He never informed me about this.

I got repeated calls from Yorkshire water during my stay but I thought they were Indian Scammers as I have received a lot of calls from them requesting me to pay for different bills, so I did not bother.

I had to put a call through to Yorkshire water's customer service recently, they had it in their record, the date and time they met with my Scammer Landlord and what he told them.

Unfortunately I do not have the agreement with me, I explained everything to the agent and I was told to pay 50% of the bill.

@Justwise what do you think sir?

Do I just go to the landlords house with boys on arrival? undecided

if its on your name then its a tough one!however if you got it in writing that all of your bills are inclusive then you can approach the court clerk.its an easy something, the landlord would be billed!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Holufunmee: 8:46pm On May 12, 2021
Hello people, please kindly help with a response. I'm presently filling my HCPC registration form, i schooled and work in Nigeria. The space for English proficiency, do i fill YES for "Is English your first language?" My school offers a letter that says "English as a means of study" will that be sufficient to prove my English proficiency? If you've filled HCPC form from Nigeria please help me with what to do. Thank you in anticipation.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:14pm On May 12, 2021
erico2k2:

a word from a grapevine says there is a story behind why the Saudis handed him to the yanks!

Bro i'm not into conspiracy theory, whatever reason behind it..he deserves to rot in prison
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:21pm On May 12, 2021
Josh121:

I am trying to tell you Nigeria never invented scam, when there was no internet how many Nigerian where involved in scam, before internet got so popular Mexicans where running scam and other countries as well. Nigeria right now is on the lips of everybody cause they talk too much and the like show off , I have lived in India for years I can tell you the scam you see Nigerians run today is a child’s play. For your information the advance fee fraud you hear today which we can 419 originated from Germany in 1922

A lot, OBT guys were doing it on the street, doing money doubling, wash wash etc.

Give me the link where you read that 419 originated from Germany in 1922
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Josh121(m): 9:28pm On May 12, 2021
justwise:

A lot, OBT guys were doing it on the street, doing money doubling, wash wash etc.

Lol money doubling , have you been to time square to see how many is been double by the whites that are not Nigerians or did Nigerian teach them lol
If you are looking for a link have it
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 9:35pm On May 12, 2021
justwise:

Bro i'm not into conspiracy theory, whatever reason behind it..he deserves to rot in prison
Oh by all means of cos, the dude is 2 arrogant
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 9:37pm On May 12, 2021
Josh121:

Lol money doubling , have you been to time square to see how many is been double by the whites that are not Nigerians or did Nigerian teach them lol
If you are looking for a link have it
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam
bro those are learners, try the Gypsies grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 9:41pm On May 12, 2021
From my research, I believe Asians are the biggest scammers. It’s use to be the American then the Europeans, but they’ve taken a back sit. Nigerians scammers are just hungry people looking for the next bread. Only few Nigerians are into sophisticated scarm

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Josh121(m): 9:45pm On May 12, 2021
wallg123:
From my research, I believe Asians are the biggest scammers. It’s use to be the American then the Europeans, but they’ve taken a back sit. Nigerians scammers are just hungry people looking for the next bread. Only few Nigerians are into sophisticated scarm
On point on this , the few that are sophisticated scammers don’t have anything to do with social media that is why no body hear about them , all this young boys that will ask someone for $50 are the once messing the country up

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by SamReinvented: 9:55pm On May 12, 2021
Lol... the popularity of "Nigerian scam" is just classic stereotype fueled by racism. Nigeria makes up a very tiny percentage of the scamming "market". It's very unsophisticated too. While all what most "serious" Nigerian scammers do, is trying to deceive the next dumb gullible person, high school kids in the US are busy hacking twitter accounts of tech CEO just for "fun". Who can beat that?!!!

Abeg forget... In this scamming business, the west is till king, followed by China, then the rest of Asia, before we can now look at Africa/Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 10:21pm On May 12, 2021
justwise:

First was scamming via pen pal
Then..

The box of money scam started money washing

It was originally called the Spanish Con/ Spanish prisoner scam... And it's on Wikipedia

Nigerians just made different variations of it

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 10:24pm On May 12, 2021
SamReinvented:
Lol... the popularity of "Nigerian scam" is just classic stereotype fueled by racism. Nigeria makes up a very tiny percentage of the scamming "market". It's very unsophisticated too. While all what most "serious" Nigerian scammers do, is trying to deceive the next dumb gullible person, high school kids in the US are busy hacking twitter accounts of tech CEO just for "fun". Who can beat that?!!!

Abeg forget... In this scamming business, the west is till king, followed by China, then the rest of Asia, before we can now look at Africa/Nigeria.

Black Americans used to teach tutorials for Tax refund fraud to others in their basement

Some of them were busted some years ago

Our own is to blow up scams we didn't start

There was a gift card scam invented by one drug addict guy on Quora, very sophisticated stuff

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 12:09am On May 13, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Everywhere in the UK is predominantly white, including London.

Overlook the way it’s worded. I don’t mean predominant in a literal “headcount” sense. Withal, thanks for your feedback. I got it sorted already.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 12:35am On May 13, 2021
Lexusgs430:
I believe everyone on this thread is now wise enough, not to fall for scammers calls....

Someone just received a fake inner london court arrest warrant...... She already transferred £800.00 to them, before their juju clear from her eye's......

If you receive any cold calls, sms or emails, demanding any form of payments..... You should have a default position set, that all unwarranted money requests are SCAMS .....

I find it really funny when people fall for this scam. Street OT is enough to know this is scam from a mile away but fear and ignorance makes people fall victim.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tolajay: 12:42am On May 13, 2021
So, scammers' account can be reported and blocked in the UK?

Far from the reality in Nigeria.

Lexusgs430:

That's the power of scams, she was told the money was refundable, if the warrant was deemed unnecessary.....

As usual, it was Indian scammers. She had made two payments, before sending me a WA message.... I did not evev know she had made any payments. I just casually told her it was Indian scammers......

She went cold for about 5 mins (no replies), until she called me, saying she had been scammed....

I told her to call her banks fraud department, and not me......

[b]Few minutes later scammers bank was contacted, block on account placed, [/b]she now awaits 21 days, to see if funds could be retrieved.............
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:43am On May 13, 2021
Inkredible:

I find it really funny when people fall for this scam. Street OT is enough to know this is scam from a mile away but fear and ignorance makes people fall victim.

Some people just isolate themselves, from happenings around them. Thinking, no evil shall befall them....... grin

Someone said earlier, they don't read newspapers (online & offline), they don't listen to news, they only use YouTube to watch religious programmes and nollywood, they think nairaland is for jobless people, they never join other forums etc etc etc...... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:45am On May 13, 2021
tolajay:
So, scammers' account can be reported and blocked in the UK?

Far from the reality in Nigeria.

Yes, and monies retrieved (without long legs)..... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 12:56am On May 13, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Some people just isolate themselves, from happenings around them. Thinking, no evil shall befall them....... grin

Someone said earlier, they don't read newspapers (online & offline), they don't listen to news, they only use YouTube to watch religion programmes and nollywood, they think nairaland is for jobless people, they never join other forums etc etc etc...... cheesy

Imagine getting scammed £800 in this Buhari era. Money that can open kiosk somewhere grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:27am On May 13, 2021
Inkredible:

Imagine getting scammed £800 in this Buhari era. Money that can open kiosk somewhere grin

You're old fashioned....... Kiosk opening, is now so last generation....

We now have ẹ shops....... tongue

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 1:32am On May 13, 2021
Yeah that shld do otherwise consider UK NARIC
Holufunmee:
Hello people, please kindly help with a response. I'm presently filling my HCPC registration form, i schooled and work in Nigeria. The space for English proficiency, do i fill YES for "Is English your first language?" My school offers a letter that says "English as a means of study" will that be sufficient to prove my English proficiency? If you've filled HCPC form from Nigeria please help me with what to do. Thank you in anticipation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 1:36am On May 13, 2021
These cold call scam gists make me rmba those “we were informed that you were involved in a car accident recently” calls.

Me I just swear for them and be like “na ur papa go get accident”

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:38am On May 13, 2021
omopapa:
These cold call scam gists make me rmba those “we were informed that you were involved in a car accident recently” calls.

They still call ó.... I just finger their brains, when they are tired..... They would hang up...... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 5:28am On May 13, 2021
omopapa:

My default response is, " yes I lost my head in the accident."

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 6:22am On May 13, 2021
Mamatukwas:

You won’t unfortunately. They have chopped that one and cleaned mouth.

Thank you mama
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 6:24am On May 13, 2021
famzynet:

You are entitled to a refund. You will have worked for 6months in the NHS job,then apply for part refund .

Many thanks bro
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 6:25am On May 13, 2021
twizzie:

Then once you have worked for six months starting from the date you swapped, you can apply for a refund (assuming the scheme will still be open)
Even students on Tier 4 visa should be able to apply if they work as care worker. If you know you did more that the allowed 20 hours weekly, biko, look left cos your NI will be required.

Thank you very much for this.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:46am On May 13, 2021
twizzie:

Then once you have worked for six months starting from the date you swapped, you can apply for a refund (assuming the scheme will still be open)
Even students on Tier 4 visa should be able to apply if they work as care worker. If you know you did more that the allowed 20 hours weekly, biko, look left cos your NI will be required.

Please does this apply to any care worker...so caseworkers with agency or directly with the home and not nhs and also their spouse dependent
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:07am On May 13, 2021
Inkredible:

Exactly my point! Nothing new about this scam but still grown up adults fall for it, BBC, ITV, channel 5 and many others have done program over and over again about this scam for years. Ignorant is an under statement.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:27am On May 13, 2021
They nearly got my husband with a Royal Mail purchase/delivery he made. He was coming out of surgery and they called him, gave him most of his details and said he should quickly transfer his money to a different account as they are trying to hack into his account. He asked for the account details and monzo popped up! That’s when the tiredness cleared from his eye and he hung up. Indians as well. Those guys are crazy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:37am On May 13, 2021
omopapa:

I’ve once told one : Are you not ashamed of this work you’re doing? She sounded English. Quickly dropped. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:38am On May 13, 2021
Please I have Nairassss. Anyone needing should send me a DM let’s do this.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 12:06pm On May 13, 2021
Good day house. Please I have a friend of mine in London looking for a nanny work, she came in through settlement visa and need a nanny job urgently. Any one interested should DM please. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (614) (615) (616) (617) (618) (619) (620) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.