Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,773 members, 7,798,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (637) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1296792 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:04pm On May 30, 2021
somez:
Lol... Honestly I saw this comment coming. Lol

Far from it. Am aware that I will have to lean on her income temporarily but I've got to be proactive before leaving.

We say it, as we see it...... No sugar-coating...... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:07pm On May 30, 2021
somez:
Lol... Honestly I saw this comment coming. Lol

Far from it. Am aware that I will have to lean on her income temporarily but I've got to be proactive before leaving.

Did i hear you say, proactive....... Very good.....

Ever thought of a skills like mechanic, plumbing, electrician, handyman etc etc ........ Did i hear you say NO, NEVER, GOD FORBID....... I heard you clearly..... tongue
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ilekokonit: 8:07pm On May 30, 2021
claremont:

I had this political view for many years until recently. Let's say you work in a regulated profession, you get married and have kids. TV licence man knocks on the door when you are away at work, your kid/wife mistakenly opens, invites him in, and in good British tradition, offers him a cup of tea. He leaves. You then get a letter in the post in a few weeks inviting you to court. The highly regulated career you have worked hard for years to get into gets ruined for avoiding £150 odd a year.

This analogy is what I considered and it informed my judgement to start paying. I have been enjoying watching these channels for years without paying it.

Above is a very valid story as some years back I thought I would have a go at not paying Thames water since the bill was in the name of the former tenant who obviously hadn't paid for years on end going by the size of the bill and since Thames water didn't have my name, I thought why should I give them my name. Lo and behold my mum visited from Nigeria and whilst I was away at work, they visited, pressed the buzzer and she picked it up out of curiosity and the long and short of it was that i eventually threw in the towel and started paying them.

With TV licence, those guys are so relentless in their warning letters that for peace of mind I pay them the £13 per month to keep them off my door.

TV Licensing has enforcement officers that carry out checks. Non payers can face prosecution plus a fine of up to £1,000 (£2,000 if you live in Guernsey or £500 in Jersey) if they're found to be watching 'live TV' without a licence.

The above paragraph is enough to let me just pay them for peace of mind (Not that UK bills and Direct debits give you any lasting peace of mind anyway)

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by somez(m): 8:11pm On May 30, 2021
Anything legit, I will do trust me. I am not just an Armchair business man. I also paint and install wallpapers, panels and all. Before leaving I might learn tiling (maybe).

I heard plumbers are paid very well abroad too.
Lexusgs430:

Did i hear you say, proactive....... Very good.....

Ever thought of a skills like mechanic, plumbers, electrician, handyman etc etc ........ Did i hear you say NO, NEVER, GOD FORBID....... I heard you clearly..... tongue
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:16pm On May 30, 2021
Ilekokonit:

I heard of someone who opened his door to TV Licence staff after telling them he doesn't watch TV and when they eventually found his TV turned on, he had the effrontery to tell them that the TV is only watched by his Dog.

grin grin comedians. The lady told of how she was hiding her TV and cable in the wardrobe. And my question was , must you open ur door. Since you and your children watch ITV and co, why not pay. This is someone who has 3 houses in the abroad. If her tenant don't play by her rules she'll kick, yet she won't play by the rules.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ilekokonit: 8:18pm On May 30, 2021
TV detector vans are vans, which, according to the BBC, contain equipment that can detect the presence of television sets in use.[1] The vans are operated by contractors working for the BBC, to enforce the television licensing system in the UK, the Channel Islands and on the Isle of Man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van

A 1983 Leyland Sherpa television detector van at the Postal Museum, London

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ilekokonit: 8:24pm On May 30, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

grin grin comedians. The lady told of how she was hiding her TV and cable in the wardrobe. And my question was , must you open ur door. Since you and your children watch ITV and co, why not pay. This is someone who has 3 houses in the abroad. If her tenant don't play by her rules she'll kick, yet she won't play by the rules.

I heard of a Naija lady whose husband got someone to connect them illegally to the electricity grid and when the electricity guys came to inspect their house she had to strip half naked and pour some water on her body before opening the door to the chaps and telling them she was having a shower.

The lengths some people go to to avoid paying their fair share to society.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:27pm On May 30, 2021
somez:
Anything legit, I will do trust me. I am not just an Armchair business man
. I also paint and install wallpapers, panels and all. Before leaving I might learn tiling (maybe).

I heard plumbers are paid very well abroad too.

That is the most important thing, just come first, getting a job to survive will not be a problem.

Yes plumbers do make a lot of money here, when i was renting my landlady takes care of any plumbing problem until i bought a house and within weeks i was faced with pipe issue in the toilet, i called a number i found online and i was told it will cost me £120 but the price will go up if they have to change any part.

I was shocked, i decided to call a friend he connected me to a guy that did it for £70 and he spent only 30mins in my house.

That money is as good as tax free

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:29pm On May 30, 2021
Ilekokonit:
TV detector vans are vans, which, according to the BBC, contain equipment that can detect the presence of television sets in use.[1] The vans are operated by contractors working for the BBC, to enforce the television licensing system in the UK, the Channel Islands and on the Isle of Man.

TV licence detector vans, are simply just vans used to convey officials, with 0% detection equipment...... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:33pm On May 30, 2021
Ilekokonit:

lol.. this is a joke, that van detects jack, BBC has no such equipment.

TV licence uses post code to have an idea who is paying or not, in their database they know post code that pays, if your post code and house/flat number is not there then they will start sending letter.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:42pm On May 30, 2021
Ilekokonit:

I heard of a Naija lady whose husband got someone to connect them illegally to the electricity grid and when the electricity guys came to inspect their house she had to strip half naked and pour some water on her body before opening the door to the chaps and telling them she was having a shower.

The lengths some people go to to avoid paying their fair share to society.

grin grin Yet Buhari and Fulani is Nigerians problem? I swear down If you move all Naija here, and move all whites back to Nigeria, Nigeria will start working, and this place will become a shit hole. The black man's has a fundamental problem. Our smartness is actually retrogressive.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:45pm On May 30, 2021
justwise:

lol.. this is a joke, that van detects jack, BBC has no such equipment.

TV licence uses post code to have an idea who is paying or not, in their database they know post code that pays, if your post code and house/flat number is not there then they will start sending letter.

They can detect chief. They don't just enforce it because of the so-called "honour system" of making money. Every year they use a few Scape goats.

I stayed 8months in London with no message of paying for a license. Few weeks into getting a TV and watching free view I got their mail. My friend also had the same experience.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:57pm On May 30, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

They can detect chief. They don't just enforce it because of the so-called "honour system" of making money. Every year they use a few Scape goats.

I stayed 8months in London with no message of paying for a license. Few weeks into getting a TV and watching free view I got their mail. My friend also had the same experience.

Bro they detect nothing, that van is as useless as it looks, they use your post code to know if you pay or not.

It will even be illegal for them to have intrusive access to your home using any sort of equipment .

Using it to detect (if at all )is not even useful because watching tv without tv licence is not illegal

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:18pm On May 30, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

They don't detect anything..... After you bought that TV, the retailer sent your details to TV licensing office..... That's a responsibility, TV licence office placed on retailers....... grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:39pm On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

They don't detect anything..... After you bought that TV, the retailer sent your details to TV licensing office..... That's a responsibility, TV licence office placed on retailers....... grin

I see. No wonder grin. Thought they had the magic wand

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 9:51pm On May 30, 2021
justwise:

Bro they detect nothing, that van is as useless as it looks, they use your post code to know if you pay or not.

It will even be illegal for them to have intrusive access to your home using any sort of equipment .

Using it to detect (if at all )is not even useful because watching tv without tv licence is not illegal

Watching live television programming without a tv licence is.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:57pm On May 30, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

I thought that has been established here years ago here?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:59pm On May 30, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Without a licence, it’s a Criminal Offence.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:10pm On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

I doubt any retailer will do that, that is breach of personal data which is illegal
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:30pm On May 30, 2021
justwise:
[/b]

I doubt any retailer will do that, that is breach of personal data which is illegal

The law requires it.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 10:31pm On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

That law was repealed in 2013. June 2013. Previously, retailers are mandated to report purchase of new TV. But from June 25, 2013, the law was repealed.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 10:31pm On May 30, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

The law requires it.

That law was repealed on June 25, 2013.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:32pm On May 30, 2021
KOVIC19COVID20:

That law was repealed on June 25, 2013.

Ah, I see.
It was in force when I was here in the early 2000s., one of our class guys worked in an electronics store.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 10:38pm On May 30, 2021
There is something about the TV licence that a lot of folks don’t get.
It’s a TV licence not a BBC licence.
It is only compulsory when you watch live TV.
If all you watch is DVD and Netflix and play PS-5, you don’t need a licence. To be at peace, you just apply and you get an exemption. I think that is what Ralph has been trying to say.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 10:42pm On May 30, 2021
Correct pipu abeg Mek we rest this TV matter. Please anyone get experience on this?

KOVIC19COVID20:
Many thanks to all who responded to my previous questions.

I need help once again. This time around not a hypothetical situation but a real life one.

I applied for a 1 year Tier-2 visa in March. I paid IHS It was granted, to expire in April 2022 (based on my certificate of sponsorship).

A few days ago, I applied and switched to a new visa category (5 years). This is not the Health and care visa. I paid full IHS (again).

Can I apply for part refund of my IHS (as Na only 2 months I don ‘chop’ inside.

Anyone got experience?
Who do I even apply to?

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:45pm On May 30, 2021
KOVIC19COVID20:

That law was repealed in 2013. June 2013. Previously, retailers are mandated to report purchase of new TV. But from June 25, 2013, the law was repealed.

You are very correct..... Small small, after this Diana scandal, they would fully scrap the license........ wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.