Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,668 members, 7,801,930 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (675) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1298341 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (672) (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lightest(m): 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2021
chrisj2:
It is rather unfair to say that ilekokonit is totally negative against the UK and White people. From his yarns and missives, it is obvious he has been in the country a long time and has experienced a lot in several fields of work and many different circumstances. His experience is invaluable to a lot of people that might want to come to this country with naive optimism and lack of preparedness for the cultural shocks and dare we say it, racist attitudes of some of the indigenes and the desperate motives, attitudes and behaviour of our own brothers and sisters...

He has given good advice to a brother about his missus that wants to quit her job because of victimisation or racism (either or, the ffect is worse when you think you are being picked on because of your colour). It is not easy being an introvert and not everyone can just ride with the blows and the slights...

It is not always helpful for our people to quickly side with the white folks by stating that things are not better in Nja or our people are worse in many ways... Racism is not the same as just discrimination on other grounds and where it happens, it should be called out for what it is, after all, the Oyinbos are the ones that brought us the Bible and their religion and their enlightenment and so-called civilisation - they should know better.

Calling a brother out as being unsuccessful is low. He tried relocating to Nigeria but it did not work out as things are now so much worse than the example he gave about someone making it in Nja and refusing to come abroad in the first place to do menial jobs, ending up losing his identity and status and possibly dignity in the chase of the Western dream.

I am with ilekokonit, I watch myself and do not trust the managers and try to be ultra financially independent, knowing that if i decided to quit my job, I will survive well until another one comes along.

* can you imagine that in 1968 (and way beyond), the Royal Family and establishment thought it was not the thing to do to employ someone of colour (any colour except white) to get the job of a clerk... A clerical job, a black or brown or yellow person could not get in 1968. By that time, there have been many Nigerian graduates in more complex fields... We are not even talking of Caribbean or people from South Asia or the Orient.

I just looked at the staff of Prince William - and in 2021, still no black or brown person working for him. And the RF do not subscribe to (negotiated an exemption) discrimination or race acts... Go figure!

I read what the person wrote and I smiled.

That is what happened when u just jump to a comment without knowing the origin.

In my own, I have digested what he wrote and I am so happy about it.

I want everybody to know that staying in UK for 20 yrs might not translate to quality experience than those just coming.

It all depends on where we are coming from, and how we understand the street and how we carefully listened to different views.

@ILEKOKONIT, pls just ignore

Shallom

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2021
Phrakleen on YouTube is the number one anti travel advocate. Glad I met him after I relocated grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ilekokonit: 10:25pm On Jun 22, 2021
dupyshoo:
@Bolded, not sure it is that hard to save 3 times monthly salary. Especially if you are not staying in London or any of the big cities. Where I live, you can get a 3 bed house for £500- £600 or mortgage of about £350-£400.
Imagine, a couple with a take home of £5k and expenses of about 2k-3k. They can easily save 2k per month

I think it's all about contentment. Use credit cards as debit cards and don't buy what you can't afford.

Like I replied someone earlier, my calculation was for a Londoner.

£400 will not rent you a decent room in a shared house in London as some rooms even go for £700 a month.

In London you will struggle to get a mortgage for £1,500 a month for a 3 bed house.

I'll add that the savings I meant was for a single person not a couple. Most Naija couples don't believe in joint accounts LONG TERM anyway ??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:30pm On Jun 22, 2021
dupyshoo:
Less but the difference in wages does not correspond to how much more expensive London is. Extra 10k will not make me move to London.

Definitely very expensive though London is not just a city , London is a brand

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ticha: 10:33pm On Jun 22, 2021
icon8:

You ask for all that prior to arranging a viewing appointment? Just to view the property?

I ask for the amount they earn before they view yes - but don't require the evidence till they apply after viewing
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ticha: 10:42pm On Jun 22, 2021
justwise:

Thank goodness that not all landlords/landlady does this

There's a market for every tenant. Haven't had an empty property yet.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tshoboy(m): 12:37am On Jun 23, 2021
How do one negotiate proposed rental increase with landlord? My landlord wants to increase rent by 4%.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:49am On Jun 23, 2021
Does anyone kill boredom, by watching naked attraction ?..... grin

Imagine, showing Naked attraction on NTA ..... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:02am On Jun 23, 2021
tshoboy:
How do one negotiate proposed rental increase with landlord? My landlord wants to increase rent by 4%.

Unfortunately, the landlord is got the freedom and liberty.......

Once a tenancy agreement is over....... You can decide to walk and the landlord can increase......

You can request a meeting with your landlord, put your case forward (assuming you have been a good tenant), plead your case....

A nice paying good tenant, is much better than a non paying horrible tenant..... If your landlord is not too greedy, he/she might negotiate.......

If you don't fancy the increment, consider all associated costs, inconveniences etc etc, and start looking elsewhere........

NB: Use this as that turnaround point, if possible, start looking into applying for a mortgage (if all conditions are right)..... cheesy

https://blog.nationwide.com/how-to-negotiate-rent/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 3:00am On Jun 23, 2021
This particular training too can serve same purpose
Theflint1:
I see it's for persons without experience in biomedical science. What of for persons with experience in the biomedical sciences, is there like some form of training that can easily translate into a full-time role after the training?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 3:03am On Jun 23, 2021
Hahaha honourable lower ya gaze
Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 3:29am On Jun 23, 2021
Exactly, I’d rather a 50k job up north or West Midlands than a 60k one in london
dupyshoo:
Less but the difference in wages does not correspond to how much more expensive London is. Extra 10k will not make me move to London.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 9:19am On Jun 23, 2021
I agree, it is extremely difficult to save in London. Combine this with knife crimes, will always advise anyone who can live outside London to go for it.

@bolded, that's why families are struggling and are in debt. Couples need to work together. They don't have to go for joint account but a reasonable level of openness about finances is required from both.

Ilekokonit:

Like I replied someone earlier, my calculation was for a Londoner.

£400 will not rent you a decent room in a shared house in London as some rooms even go for £700 a month.

In London you will struggle to get a mortgage for £1,500 a month for a 3 bed house.

I'll add that the savings I meant was for a single person not a couple. Most Naija couples don't believe in joint accounts LONG TERM anyway ??

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 9:28am On Jun 23, 2021
Ilekokonit:

One of the "qualities" I have observed in the UK among managers is the fact that a lot of them have no conscience and they will gang up in a clique against you if you are not a Yes person or you have too much self confidence and they do this witch hunting against strong willed white people as well.

Many years ago I saw my line manager who had tried to control me without succeeding reading a book at KFC about witchcraft and the same manager at an outing told me that any time we are coming in opposite directions in the long office gangway he feels as if I am going to punch him and this is me who has a smile on my face and hold no evil intention against him. This shows that na him witchcraft dey worry am as he couldn't fathom how he had dominated people who had been there years before I joined but couldn't dominate me.

And you are correct, Oyinbo too can lie and generally when Oyinbo wan do evil, dem dey plan am scientifically that its effects are devastating to the victim. But chin up and don't worry as you will eventually get a GOOD job as a mans gifts and something he is very good at will ALWAYS open doors for him sooner or later. Delay is no denial !!!!

You must be working with the wrong set of people. There's good and bad in all races, maybe if you open your mind a bit you might not be so paranoid.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 9:38am On Jun 23, 2021
Bluetherapy:

Lol... Still doesn't matter I can have a good credit score and earn 60k with £100 left at the end of the month.
Person wey go default go still default grin

For a landlord to get landlords insurance the prospective tenant must have passed a credit check which requires details of your job, income and payslips and bank statements to show where your salary goes in and that you are not always in permanent overdraft.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 9:42am On Jun 23, 2021
Ilekokonit:

The pounds people mention may seem high but the monthly bills and living expenses in the UK are very high too for example if your monthly net pay is £2,000 and your Rent for a 1 bed flat is £900, Council Tax £100, Gas and electricity £100, Water £40, Broadband and Tv Licence £60, Travel £150 and you havent added car insurance + petrol if you have a car and feeding and so you'll see that at the end of the day you may not be able to save much out of the £2,000 net pay and a lot of employees in the UK even with good wages still depend on credit cards and overdrafts and its very hard to see an employee in the UK that has savings worth 3 times of their monthly net pay .

So the grass may seem greener on the other side but is it really greener ?? Not all that glitters is gold .

I think the cost of living is much higher in Nigeria. If you want 24hrs electricity you have got to factor in the cost of diesel / petrol
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 9:45am On Jun 23, 2021
OkanlawonB:

True talk my Oga BUT 900 pounds for 1 bedroom flat is only true for London, in most other cities in England 600 pounds per month will get you a 3 bedroom Flat, am quite sure you are aware of this, just stating this for the sake of the people planning to come.

Where do you get a one bed flat for £900 in London? Not anymore. Maybe a bedsit if you are lucky and it will be rundown.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:48am On Jun 23, 2021
Lexusgs430:

People who appear on that program and embarrassing body are brave, I mean for someone with baseball bat as a 3rd leg I can understand that but for people with the size of a middle finger appear and still turn up for work the next day? Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 9:49am On Jun 23, 2021
sgtponzihater1:
Phrakleen on YouTube is the number one anti travel advocate. Glad I met him after I relocated grin grin

I dont think so. He just says it as it is. Maybe what he is saying applies to a lesser percentage than he states.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 9:52am On Jun 23, 2021
justwise:

People who appear on that program and embarrassing body are brave, I mean for someone with baseball bat as a 3rd leg I can understand that but for people with the size of a middle finger appear and still turn up for work the next day? Hmmm

I watched that programme once and never watched it again. if this was Nigeria, your whole village will disown you including the ones that have never met you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:57am On Jun 23, 2021
justwise:

Embarrassment is ubiquitous in human social life, it's simply a way of life ..... it unfolds before us all the time........ grin

We have become immune, to all sensitivities/insensitivities + side talks....... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:08am On Jun 23, 2021
Rubyventures:

I watched that programme once and never watched it again. if this was Nigeria, your whole village will disown you including the ones that have never met you.

We are too sensitive to irrelevant issues, and pay little or no attention, to more important issues .... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:11am On Jun 23, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

Seen one of his vids only once, but his message seemed to me to be in two parts, one tending towards the whole "grass is not necessarily greener on the other side, look before you leap" kind of stuff, and the other part tending towards that "obodo oyibo hard, make una no come, Nigeria better" message straight out of the 70s when our parents' generation were here and struggled with not only racism which was more virulent and widespread then, but also the mess the UK was in the late 70s and early 80s, as well as managing their average of 4 children with little or no help and were looking forward to going home to pick up the safe and pensioned civil service jobs literally thrown at people with a degree of any sort.

The first part of that message holds true always, unfortunately the second not at all as Nigeria of the 70s and 80s was a viable option to the UK; in the 2020s.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:12am On Jun 23, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Embarrassment is ubiquitous in human social life, it's simply a way of life ..... it unfolds before us all the time........ grin

We have become immune, to all sensitivities/insensitivities + side talks....... cheesy

Nah! I mean you go all commando to millions of people? And next minute you put on your clothes and walk out expecting not to be bullied? The clip is there for all to see for ever!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:33am On Jun 23, 2021
Rubyventures:

They will even call for your blood
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ishilove: 10:39am On Jun 23, 2021
justwise:

Nah! I mean you go all commando to millions of people? And next minute you put on your clothes and walk out expecting not to be bullied? The clip is there for all to see for ever!!
Do people actually go commando on live TV?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:42am On Jun 23, 2021
Ishilove:

1010%, nothing for imagination

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:00am On Jun 23, 2021
Rubyventures:

I dont think so. He just says it as it is. Maybe what he is saying applies to a lesser percentage than he states.

Not castigating him or picking holes in what he is saying at all. Don't get me wrong. I am only happy I discovered him after I have travelled, because I may lost interest.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:05am On Jun 23, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Seen one of his vids only once, but his message seemed to me to be in two parts, one tending towards the whole "grass is not necessarily greener on the other side, look before you leap" kind of stuff, and the other part tending towards that "obodo oyibo hard, make una no come, Nigeria better" message straight out of the 70s when our parents' generation were here and struggled with not only racism which was more virulent and widespread then, but also the mess the UK was in the late 70s and early 80s, as well as managing their average of 4 children with little or no help and were looking forward to going home to pick up the safe and pensioned civil service jobs literally thrown at people with a degree of any sort.

The first part of that message holds true always, unfortunately the second not at all as Nigeria of the 70s and 80s was a viable option to the UK; in the 2020s.......

True. I enjoy his shows. I have found men in their 50s, some hospital Consultants, living slightly above board with properties, drop everything and escape abroad. And I still find it difficult to understand the rationale.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:36am On Jun 23, 2021
justwise:

Been naked means nothing to many........ grin

We come in naked, go naked many more times and we are checking out naked (well, before the undertaker dresses us up).......... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Regex: 11:36am On Jun 23, 2021
justwise:

Definitely very expensive though London is not just a city , London is a brand

Brand ko, Band ni. I'm fine being a Geordie.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:37am On Jun 23, 2021
Ishilove:

You need to watch naked attraction............ grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (672) (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.