Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,835 members, 7,806,349 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (702) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1300443 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) (705) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 10:26am On Jul 12, 2021
DAramis:
@Ticha

Just learnt new thing from you. Must the swapping be among home owners? What of those that are renting?

Asking on behalf of others living in UK but not house owners.

As long as you are not in breach of your tenancy agreement, which i think you will be.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ELff: 10:34am On Jul 12, 2021
Lexusgs430:

The consequence of breaching, is deportation..........

Apply for a provisional license, do your theory driving test, start learning how to drive (driving school or using a car insured for a PL driver + a holder of a full UK driving licence for 3 years, next to you + L plates displayed front and rear)....... Emphasis on all the aforementioned...... DON'T DRIVE A VEHICLE ON UK ROADS, INDEPENDENTLY WHILST ONLY HOLDING A PL........

Check for best possible deals to get a discount or buy a bicycle (use a helmet + reflective lights + reflective clothing)........ cheesy

Thanks Boss. Appreciate your inputs.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ELff: 10:34am On Jul 12, 2021
browneyes7:

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ELff: 10:35am On Jul 12, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

There should be [student] weekly and monthly bus passes available from the bus operators in your city. Ask.

Thanks. I will ask then. Grateful much.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ticha: 10:46am On Jul 12, 2021
DAramis:
@Ticha

Just learnt new thing from you. Must the swapping be among home owners? What of those that are renting?

Asking on behalf of others living in UK but not house owners.

Quite a few are rentals. The one we've organised for next summer to Bristol is a rental ie they're swapping their rented house in Bristol with us - they've taken contents cover insurance and informed the agents that they're away for 2 months but will have friends staying so the house is not empty. We're not exchanging money so it doesn't breach the tenancy agreement.

We're not swapping cars as we have access to cars in the UK (will just borrow my SIL's car) and they really don't need a car here in Wellington. And once you start swapping within western Europe, the Middle East and parts of Asia (SE), I find they're mainly rentals as well.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ticha: 10:56am On Jul 12, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Thumbs up .... you dey try oo. I can't imagine leaving my house to full strangers for even a weekend .

I guess it does take a certain kind of person. To be fair, our very first one was a non simultaneous swap. They were heading to Italy and we went their to place so our own home sat empty for the 10 days. I actually paid for 1 nights accommodation in a hotel cos I wasn't too sure we would find the place to our liking! Got there and were blown away! They left us their car at the airport. Had fresh baked bread and hot piping meat stew waiting, got 2 travel cots (my twins were about 10 months old then) and had lots of baby toys. The neighbour came round to welcome us and ended up enamoured with the kids (she was a grandma living alone) and spending quite a bit of time with us. We still keep in touch with the neighbour!
After that first one, we were hooked. 4 months later, we did a simultaneous swap to Seville and Gibraltar for 2 weeks - 1 week in each place and then spent the rest of the year traversing parts of the UK.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Santa2: 11:11am On Jul 12, 2021
wallg123:

Keep the banana for some days make e ripe proper before you chop am. grin

Yea..tested and trusted..it tastes better after some days
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DAramis: 11:30am On Jul 12, 2021
Ticha:

Quite a few are rentals. The one we've organised for next summer to Bristol is a rental ie they're swapping their rented house in Bristol with us - they've taken contents cover insurance and informed the agents that they're away for 2 months but will have friends staying so the house is not empty. We're not exchanging money so it doesn't breach the tenancy agreement.

We're not swapping cars as we have access to cars in the UK (will just borrow my SIL's car) and they really don't need a car here in Wellington. And once you start swapping within western Europe, the Middle East and parts of Asia (SE), I find they're mainly rentals as well.
Thanks for the clarification though not living in UK. Just for knowledge purposes.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DAramis: 11:30am On Jul 12, 2021
Rubyventures:

As long as you are not in breach of your tenancy agreement, which i think you will be.
Okay, understood.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 11:52am On Jul 12, 2021
Ticha:

Quite a few are rentals. The one we've organised for next summer to Bristol is a rental ie they're swapping their rented house in Bristol with us - they've taken contents cover insurance and informed the agents that they're away for 2 months but will have friends staying s o the house is not empty. We're not exchanging money so it doesn't breach the tenancy agreement.

This is okay when when everything goes okay which is the case most of the time, but when problem comes this will be classed as misinformation and any kind of insurance will be void. Even your agent will wash their hands off you. Thats why its alway safer to place all your cards on the table and tell the true position of things.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2021
Captaincool1:
Good day all please what are the necessary skills one needs in Nigeria to be eligible as a caregiver in the UK.

Thanks

No skills. If you are already in the UK.. however a lot of agency require you to have some training. Usually around £80 to £150
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Santa2: 12:55pm On Jul 12, 2021
Ticha:

I guess it does take a certain kind of person. To be fair, our very first one was a non simultaneous swap. They were heading to Italy and we went their to place so our own home sat empty for the 10 days. I actually paid for 1 nights accommodation in a hotel cos I wasn't too sure we would find the place to our liking! Got there and were blown away! They left us their car at the airport. Had fresh baked bread and hot piping meat stew waiting, got 2 travel cots (my twins were about 10 months old then) and had lots of baby toys. The neighbour came round to welcome us and ended up enamoured with the kids (she was a grandma living alone) and spending quite a bit of time with us. We still keep in touch with the neighbour!
After that first one, we were hooked. 4 months later, we did a simultaneous swap to Seville and Gibraltar for 2 weeks - 1 week in each place and then spent the rest of the year traversing parts of the UK.

@Ticha..love your adventurous spirit(you and your partner. This is the kind off thing I would like to do when the time comes. The interesting part is that you did this with 2 ten months old, it takes one with a lot of grit to do this.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by davide470(m): 2:06pm On Jul 12, 2021
Ticha:

Wow!

Just to ask the question that has been pondering in the minds of the readers...are you a Nigerian? grin or would the Telegraph call you a British-Nigerian?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 2:40pm On Jul 12, 2021
Coolcube:
Please I need the opinion of those living in the UK on this. I would be grateful to find help.

My dream is to be a lecturer here in Nigeria and I am currently on a PhD in one of the federal institutions, but the demands of work as the head of a publishing firm isn't allowing the work to progress as I'ld love. I am therefore considering relocating to the UK with my wife and kid to study for another Masters and then follow up with a PhD. But my fear is that the tuition in UK would kill me. Although the Master's tuition won't be a problem, but to pay around £18,000 every year for PhD might be difficult considering I'll only have 20 hours to work per week. I wish to ask those already in the UK, if it possible to raise that much every year with the support of my wife. My thinking (Correct me if I am wrong) is that a PhD from UK would enhance my career prospect in the UK and any other advanced countries of the world, should I decide to stay back.

I look forward to your opinions.

A PHD would advance your career prospects in academia and in research I would think. It would also increase your "mileage" grin in the UK.

With a Masters and a good CV and a choosing a competitive course, you could see yourself doing great in the Job market.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kode12: 6:14pm On Jul 12, 2021
davide470:
Wow!

Just to ask the question that has been pondering in the minds of the readers...are you a Nigerian? grin or would the Telegraph call you a British-Nigerian?
Lool. As funny as this sounds, it is a very valid question.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 6:16pm On Jul 12, 2021
Coolcube:
Please I need the opinion of those living in the UK on this. I would be grateful to find help.

My dream is to be a lecturer here in Nigeria and I am currently on a PhD in one of the federal institutions, but the demands of work as the head of a publishing firm isn't allowing the work to progress as I'ld love. I am therefore considering relocating to the UK with my wife and kid to study for another Masters and then follow up with a PhD. But my fear is that the tuition in UK would kill me. Although the Master's tuition won't be a problem, but to pay around £18,000 every year for PhD might be difficult considering I'll only have 20 hours to work per week. I wish to ask those already in the UK, if it possible to raise that much every year with the support of my wife. My thinking (Correct me if I am wrong) is that a PhD from UK would enhance my career prospect in the UK and any other advanced countries of the world, should I decide to stay back.

I look forward to your opinions.

Living in the UK, hmmm……

First things first – please setup an urgent appointment with your cleric and advise them to organise a series of prayer sessions for you to BANISH THAT THOUGHT OF BEING A LECTURER IN NIGERIA – Those dreams are from village people. You do not want to be having such dreams now as you are too young to be planning FRUSTRATION. I appreciate your love for lecturing in Nigeria, but my advice will be for you to start your career as a researcher overseas and then decide what next to do about that your dream of lecturing back in Nigeria. You need the abroad experience to build your self-worth which Nigeria helps to dampen. You also need money (a lot of it) to enjoy lecturing in Nigeria and even forget that ASUU/salary exists. You don’t want to be that frustrated lecturer who takes out his/her frustration on innocent students. You also want to have pleasant experiences from your time abroad to benchmark your lecturing journey in Nigeria.

Next is the PhD. I congratulate you on your PhD journey so far in Nigeria. May the good Lord lighten your burden. Many years ago, it was gay to be having a PhD from Stanford and MIT and Harvard and those fancy names. Later, it was chic to be having your PhD from the UK, Canada, USA, Australia etc. Today, where you have your PhD is Irrelevant if (1) it is accredited and (2) you have your research published in the top journals. My advice for you would be to research possible PhD opportunities in South Africa – UCT, UKZN, UP, DUT, TUT etc. Get on ResearchGate and connect with Nigerians there and leverage that in getting a placement. We used to review apps from Nigerians and get our friends into SA for PhD with funding in our labs. You are sure of some funding (bursary with teaching duties) or a cheaper deal than the UK. Additionally, you are sure of world class research facilities with opportunities to go overseas for conferences/workshops. Please note that PhD in UKZN is free! I was sponsored by NRF/TWAS and had tutor gigs within the dept and had enough money to be flying to Pretoria (Sunnyside) just to look for plantain (millennial issues).

However, while in South Africa, you must do all within you to publish and publish and publish in the very best and top-rated journals (Impact Factor greater than 5 as a minimum). In my former lab here in the UK, the head was ready to recruit my friend to the UK and pay him £40K simply because of his MAD publication profile – We lost him to a research lab in Israel. There is something called REF (Research Excellence Framework) here in the UK every 5 years and it’s basically ranking UK HEI’s based on their publication output and where (journal IF). This is important because it determines how much funding they get from the government (more important now as funding is becoming scarce like unicorns). That is why you see them every 5 years recruiting new hands and highlighting publications as an important criterion. You want to be ready for the next round.

Why do I advise you to consider South Africa? Time. Here in the UK, your PhD can last from 3.5-5 years depending on your supervisor and between 4-7 years in the US. I did mine in South Africa in 18 months (finished with depression and 11 publications). You may not do yours in 18 months but with good publications (3-5) you can be done within 2.5 – 3 years with even a postdoc waiting for you to calm you down. I was recruited straight out of South Africa before graduation to the UK and currently in my 3rd job (millennial problems) working in a think tank and with a world class team. Nobody has ever asked me about where I did my PhD. I have even had the editor of a world class journal (IF of 27) visit me all the way from the US and invite me to do a badass piece in his journal on top my African PhD.

A UK PhD WILL NOT ADD ANY BENEFIT TO YOUR CAREER IN TODAY’S WORLD EVEN IF IT’S FROM OXFORD. It will cost you your arm and your leg and even leave you frustrated and drained but with extra shoulder pad for bragging – I have my doctorate from Oxforrrrd. You also don’t want to be burdening us with gofundme which is rising at alarming rates nowadays or subject your better half to working jobs she may not be ok with all because you want a UK PhD.

In all, please always ask the Good Lord for direction. I’m a firm believer that one can never get lost with His guidance.

I wish you the best.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Coolcube: 6:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
Chukwuka16:

Living in the UK, hmmm……

First things first – please setup an urgent appointment with your cleric and advise them to organise a series of prayer sessions for you to BANISH THAT THOUGHT OF BEING A LECTURER IN NIGERIA – Those dreams are from village people. You do not want to be having such dreams now as you are too young to be planning FRUSTRATION. I appreciate your love for lecturing in Nigeria, but my advice will be for you to start your career as a researcher overseas and then decide what next to do about that your dream of lecturing back in Nigeria. You need the abroad experience to build your self-worth which Nigeria helps to dampen. You also need money (a lot of it) to enjoy lecturing in Nigeria and even forget that ASUU/salary exists. You don’t want to be that frustrated lecturer who takes out his/her frustration on innocent students. You also want to have pleasant experiences from your time abroad to benchmark your lecturing journey in Nigeria.

Next is the PhD. I congratulate you on your PhD journey so far in Nigeria. May the good Lord lighten your burden. Many years ago, it was gay to be having a PhD from Stanford and MIT and Harvard and those fancy names. Later, it was chic to be having your PhD from the UK, Canada, USA, Australia etc. Today, where you have your PhD is Irrelevant if (1) it is accredited and (2) you have your research published in the top journals. My advice for you would be to research possible PhD opportunities in South Africa – UCT, UKZN, UP, DUT, TUT etc. Get on ResearchGate and connect with Nigerians there and leverage that in getting a placement. We used to review apps from Nigerians and get our friends into SA for PhD with funding in our labs. You are sure of some funding (bursary with teaching duties) or a cheaper deal than the UK. Additionally, you are sure of world class research facilities with opportunities to go overseas for conferences/workshops. Please note that PhD in UKZN is free! I was sponsored by NRF/TWAS and had tutor gigs within the dept and had enough money to be flying to Pretoria (Sunnyside) just to look for plantain (millennial issues).

However, while in South Africa, you must do all within you to publish and publish and publish in the very best and top-rated journals (Impact Factor greater than 5 as a minimum). In my former lab here in the UK, the head was ready to recruit my friend to the UK and pay him £40K simply because of his MAD publication profile – We lost him to a research lab in Israel. There is something called REF (Research Excellence Framework) here in the UK every 5 years and it’s basically ranking UK HEI’s based on their publication output and where (journal IF). This is important because it determines how much funding they get from the government (more important now as funding is becoming scarce like unicorns). That is why you see them every 5 years recruiting new hands and highlighting publications as an important criterion. You want to be ready for the next round.

Why do I advise you to consider South Africa? Time. Here in the UK, your PhD can last from 3.5-5 years depending on your supervisor and between 4-7 years in the US. I did mine in South Africa in 18 months (finished with depression and 11 publications). You may not do yours in 18 months but with good publications (3-5) you can be done within 2.5 – 3 years with even a postdoc waiting for you to calm you down. I was recruited straight out of South Africa before graduation to the UK and currently in my 3rd job (millennial problems) working in a think tank and with a world class team. Nobody has ever asked me about where I did my PhD. I have even had the editor of a world class journal (IF of 27) visit me all the way from the US and invite me to do a badass piece in his journal on top my African PhD.

A UK PhD WILL NOT ADD ANY BENEFIT TO YOUR CAREER IN TODAY’S WORLD EVEN IF IT’S FROM OXFORD. It will cost you your arm and your leg and even leave you frustrated and drained but with extra shoulder pad for bragging – I have my doctorate from Oxforrrrd. You also don’t want to be burdening us with gofundme which is rising at alarming rates nowadays or subject your better half to working jobs she may not be ok with all because you want a UK PhD.

In all, please always ask the Good Lord for direction. I’m a firm believer that one can never get lost with His guidance.

I wish you the best.

Thanks for this. You have raised some valid points. I assume you in the sciences. I am in the humanities. Can you share links on the SA universities?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2021
Coolcube:

Thanks for this. You have raised some valid points. I assume you in the sciences. I am in the humanities. Can you share links on the SA universities?

Nope, I’m where there is money (for now). Don’t get yourself limited with these silos – humanities, sciences etc. The world is multidisciplinary in nature. I did my PhD in CS and it involved Artificial Intelligence (CS), Electric Power Systems (Electrical Engineering) and Energy Justice (Humanities). I published on all these in an integrated manner and that’s the beauty. Today I work on policy, decarbonisation, and conduct field work in the arctic region on justice issues. Bring some innovation on board.

You have to visit the websites of universities you are interested in (University of Cape Town, University of Pretoria, University of KwaZulu-Natal, University of Johannesburg, University of Stellenbosch, etc.) and any lab (or research group) of interest, these things are there online. Also, if you are conversant with your field, you must have stumbled on a couple of authors you would want to investigate further. This is serious work and I’d recommend ResearchGate as a starting place to see what people are doing and informally network.

As an addition, start here - https://www.nairaland.com/944102/general-south-africa-visa-enquiries/696

Just develop a thick skin for potential insults that may come.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babajeje123(m): 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2021
Chukwuka16:

Living in the UK, hmmm……

I wish you the best.
This is phenomenal. What would you advise someone who's already in the UK for masters with the prospect of going for PhD after?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 7:04pm On Jul 12, 2021
babajeje123:

This is phenomenal. What would you advise someone who's already in the UK for masters with the prospect of going for PhD after?

Ah, you are asking me to tell you both the dream and the interpretation – I’m not capable. You love research/publishing/academics or just want to elongate stay in the UK?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 7:09pm On Jul 12, 2021
Chukwuka16:

Nope, I’m where there is money (for now). Don’t get yourself limited with these silos – humanities, sciences etc. The world is multidisciplinary in nature. I did my PhD in CS and it involved Artificial Intelligence (CS), Electric Power Systems (Electrical Engineering) and Energy Justice (Humanities). I published on all these in an integrated manner and that’s the beauty. Today I work on policy, decarbonisation, and conduct field work in the arctic region on justice issues. Bring some innovation on board.

You have to visit the websites of universities you are interested in (University of Cape Town, University of Pretoria, University of KwaZulu-Natal, University of Johannesburg, University of Stellenbosch, etc.) and any lab (or research group) of interest, these things are there online. Also, if you are conversant with your field, you must have stumbled on a couple of authors you would want to investigate further. This is serious work and I’d recommend ResearchGate as a starting place to see what people are doing and informally network.

Chukwuka16,
I think you did t get that bolded part.
It’s a truism that a candidate is more likely to get a fully-funded PhD in the Sciences tha. I’m the humanities.
If O.P were to propose to do a PhD in Molecular virology, or Artificial Intelligence or Electric vehicles or COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s research, surely they would be more likely to secure full funding.
Contrast that with O.P proposing a PhD in humanities….
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 7:12pm On Jul 12, 2021
babajeje123:

I would advise the person to go to www.findaphd.com

I ask the person what their interests are, and what research questions they would like to get answers to.

I would advise the person to decide exactly what they wish to research about.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 7:18pm On Jul 12, 2021
RalphJean:

Chukwuka16,
I think you did t get that bolded part.
It’s a truism that a candidate is more likely to get a fully-funded PhD in the Sciences tha. I’m the humanities.
If O.P were to propose to do a PhD in Molecular virology, or Artificial Intelligence or Electric vehicles or COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s research, surely they would be more likely to secure full funding.
Contrast that with O.P proposing a PhD in humanities….

There is core engineering/science research as well as core humanities research but a very wide basket of multidisciplinary funding - it depends on how you couch your proposal. Also, a lot of funding with humans as end users now have as a compulsory component co-production which is humanities driven - that's a must for EU funded projects.

My argument on silos is the fact that you limit yourself when you consider only these. Having a wider view of your discipline will increase your chances of funding than a siloed approach.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babajeje123(m): 7:26pm On Jul 12, 2021
Chukwuka16:

Ah, you are asking me to tell you both the dream and the interpretation – I’m not capable. You love research/publishing/academics or just want to elongate stay in the UK?
I love academics, has little to do with elongation
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:58pm On Jul 12, 2021
@Ticha I love your exploratory spirit oo, it's really nice to know Nigerians can let go and participate in such. Gives me hope grin grin, not sure my liver reach that sha.

Do you allow pets in your home and also what about cleaning etc. Is the only cost associated with house swaps just insurance or any other hidden cost?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 9:32pm On Jul 12, 2021
babajeje123:

I love academics, has little to do with elongation

You have nothing to worry about.
After the masters when you begin the PhD, three things – PUBLISH, PUBLISH AND PUBLISH. Second, network. The networking bit is very crucial. Forget job advert, if a PI likes you and needs you, they will bring you on board. So, take time out to seek out connections beyond your immediate lab, seek publication opportunities and PUBLISH, PUBLISH, PUBLISH. Another thing I would add is learning how to write grant proposals. This is very crucial in research. Know about funding opportunities and how their requirements can vary. This will be a very useful tool in a big research group during grant writing. Good luck with the masters and success on your PhD journey.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by olaness: 9:43pm On Jul 12, 2021
Please your advice urgently needed:
Gas central heating on a rent of 450 a month or electric heating on a rent of 350 a month?
I hear that gas central heating is cheaper. But how much cheaper? What will the difference be like?

Location is Bradford
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babajeje123(m): 10:03pm On Jul 12, 2021
Chukwuka16:

You have nothing to worry about.
After the masters when you begin the PhD, three things – PUBLISH, PUBLISH AND PUBLISH. Second, network. The networking bit is very crucial. Forget job advert, if a PI likes you and needs you, they will bring you on board. So, take time out to seek out connections beyond your immediate lab, seek publication opportunities and PUBLISH, PUBLISH, PUBLISH. Another thing I would add is learning how to write grant proposals. This is very crucial in research. Know about funding opportunities and how their requirements can vary. This will be a very useful tool in a big research group during grant writing. Good luck with the masters and success on your PhD journey.
Thank you so much for this.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:09pm On Jul 12, 2021
olaness:
Please your advice urgently needed:
Gas central heating on a rent of 450 a month or electric heating on a rent of 350 a month?
I hear that gas central heating is cheaper. But how much cheaper? What will the difference be like?

Location is Bradford

Gas is definitely cheaper, but the 100 pound difference in rent should cover that, depending on your usage and the electric heaters in the property.
I've used both types.

Depending on the type of heaters in the electrically heated flat (probably not the best or most efficient since its rented property), you could simply buy a standalone heater and use it as needed. The modern ones are more energy efficient because of their thermostats.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Giltwise: 10:38pm On Jul 12, 2021
@Chukwuka16 well done for the detailed response to @coolcube questions.

@coolcube, PLEASE do not pay to do a PhD outside Nigeria, it is crazy and suicidal to do so. Do everything within your capacity to get funding. I can guide you on that if interested. There are one thousand and one scholarship and studentship positions available (check findaphd/com and jobs/ac/uk). Also, you can write a solid, well researched proposal and target a top PI who will likely have a grant. Target schools in Australia, UK, Europe and SA as Chukwuka suggested. I repeat PLEASE do not try to pay for a PhD. It is not worth it. You will be drained by the end of your programme if you want post PhD life. Imagine, working round the clock to pay school fees, bills and you still want to publish in top rated journals. My brother, one must suffer for the other. Don't just get a PhD, get a worthy one.

Above all, seek for divine guidance.

Peace

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kwell(m): 11:00pm On Jul 12, 2021
Sunexy:

30th bro...is it too early to be inquisitive?

Way early. My cousin’s bio was November last year and he’s still waiting. Don’t know why they’re treating applications from Africa this way.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaad: 11:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
I need clarification please.
can a person travel to Nigeria from the UK with an expired Nigerian passport?
if yes, do they need to get ETA to be able to?
PS: They have British passport.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) (705) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.