Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,313 members, 7,780,761 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:25 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1285123 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:44pm On Nov 03, 2018
chilisauce:

As per the business aspect, it would be advisable to get familiar with the terms of your visa, especially considering that you're getting into the UK for the first time (I suppose).
Don't carry too much hair extensions or wigs cos if immigration nabs you, you could be put on the next flight back to naija and banned for up to 5yrs.

As per home tutoring, I would also advise you get in first, understand your environment and how the British ppl behave. It's very different from naija. Perhaps you could start with naija ppl around you, put in a word of mouth and take it up from there.

As per being a member of TRCN etc, I don't know if they're recognized by or affiliated to the UK equivalent, cos that would go a long way. Like I said, get in first and understand the system.

London is fun (and costly too) but you would quickly find your feet as we're a family here.

Can I come and stay with you, my Family?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 03, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Can I come and stay with you, my Family?

Lol, senior man. Pls come, I know your presence would bring lots of £££ the way the artic and pacific winds are bringing snow grin . It's actually a good day for an outing, less chilly than expected. The gods know the right time to give us sunshine.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adapapaokoye: 2:41pm On Nov 03, 2018
chilisauce:

As per the business aspect, it would be advisable to get familiar with the terms of your visa, especially considering that you're getting into the UK for the first time (I suppose).
Don't carry too much hair extensions or wigs cos if immigration nabs you, you could be put on the next flight back to naija and banned for up to 5yrs.

As per home tutoring, I would also advise you get in first, understand your environment and how the British ppl behave. It's very different from naija. Perhaps you could start with naija ppl around you, put in a word of mouth and take it up from there.

As per being a member of TRCN etc, I don't know if they're recognized by or affiliated to the UK equivalent, cos that would go a long way. Like I said, get in first and understand the system.

London is fun (and costly too) but you would quickly find your feet as we're a family here.
If they catch you, tell them it's for your hair, that your friends told you attachment is expensive in abroad. Lol
I carried lots of weavon but I had no issue. You may not be lucky
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 03, 2018
Adapapaokoye:

If they catch you, tell them it's for your hair, that your friends told you attachment is expensive in abroad. Lol
I really wouldn't advise this. My principle is "better be safe than sorry". You and I know that immigration no dey hear 'sorry sir, I dinor know'.

The person in question carried half a box of hair accessories, and she was going to resume school. She also carried lots of foodstuffs. When interrogated, she said they were all for her personal use. Fine, the food can be personal but who carries enough wigs to last a over a year? grin That excuse didn't fly. ......the rest is history.

If you ask her she will say it's village people. cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nwabobo: 10:48pm On Nov 03, 2018
Adapapaokoye:

You can inbox me. Lol

Just seen you've replied my message but unfortunately I no longer have access to the email to which this account is tied.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 11:21am On Nov 04, 2018
Hello Nairalanders,

There is something bugging me for the past 5years. Let me try and make this very honest, true and frank. I feel very bad for the treatment I gave to the mother of my daughter, something I keep regretting.

In October '12, 15th had the privilege to study Water Resources Engineering and Management(M.Sc) in Sheffield, within that period one thing led to the other, part of which was boredom, loneliness plus the fact that I was really struggling with my course-which led to depression. Within this period I slided a bit, that is, lost focus completely from the original purpose that I got neck deep in internet for all the negative reasons apart of defrauding.

At some point, my grades was so bad I was advised to change but insisted i wanted to continue assuring my HOD I was going to do well. This did not happen as my stay became a complete waste of resources-this I am still regretting. However, something should I say fortunate or unfortunate happened, got a girl pregnant. I must say that at that point I was too naive to handle the situation that I left her to fend all by herself, still beg God to forgive me. Cut long story short, I did not want their Immigration to catch up with me as soon as it was time to leave had to leave. Bear in mind my condition was exacerbated that it threw me into a psychiatrist hospital, that's how bad it is when trying to get your head around how to leave with the shame of not successfully fulfilling the conditions that took me to the UK in the first place when I did not come from a wealthy home but an average family all that put together aggravated my condition. Plus the problem of getting a girl pregnant where I was struggling to survive in a complete strange Land.

Travelled back to Nigeria and condition as been somewhat difficult thank God been able to top up with a good area I am in love with- Health. Safety and Environment. Matter of fact certified by Occupational Health and Safety Academy.

The problem now is, I am truly feeling very empty because I miss my daughter, talked with her mum, she appear to be struggling doing it all by herself. Last we talked she complained about being in debt, I want to go back to her to assist her, yes, it is very hard too in Nigeria but with the latest qualification in my portfolio perhaps finding a good job there in UK will ease a lot of burden for her. Thing is, how feasible is it getting a Job there from Nigeria?

I have tried applying for jobs in the UK from Nigeria there seem not to be any luck. I really don't want to go back using her as an edge but I would love to give my daughter a good life as her Dad. As am typing this, my baby been asking about her Dad and the last we spoke on whatsapp she seemed very shy but lacking fatherhood something I could sense.

Please FAM, I need professional advice on the best way to tackle this in the most legitimate way possible. I believe in monogamy, I would love to take my position as her Dad, what should I do? Also being that I think UK may have laws that are quite intimidating, I had thought securing a job and inviting for visits but as we all know it does not seem to be working as planned. Someone should please advise me on what to do.

I miss these beautiful people in my life. Life is hard here in Nigeria at the end, our child has a kind of special emotion we cannot fathom. Initially thought I was never going to see them again but I feel this strong connection that is begging to be united with them.

I anticipate good advise on the way forward

cheers!!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:41pm On Nov 04, 2018
Freeze007:
Hello Nairalanders,

There is something bugging me for the past 5years. Let me try and make this very honest, true and frank. I feel very bad for the treatment I gave to the mother of my daughter, something I keep regretting.

In October '12, 15th had the privilege to study Water Resources Engineering and Management(M.Sc) in Sheffield, within that period one thing led to the other, part of which was boredom, loneliness plus the fact that I was really struggling with my course-which led to depression. Within this period I slided a bit, that is, lost focus completely from the original purpose that I got neck deep in internet for all the negative reasons apart of defrauding.

At some point, my grades was so bad I was advised to change but insisted i wanted to continue assuring my HOD I was going to do well. This did not happen as my stay became a complete waste of resources-this I am still regretting. However, something should I say fortunate or unfortunate happened, got a girl pregnant. I must say that at that point I was too naive to handle the situation that I left her to fend all by herself, still beg God to forgive me. Cut long story short, I did not want their Immigration to catch up with me as soon as it was time to leave had to leave. Bear in mind my condition was exacerbated that it threw me into a psychiatrist hospital, that's how bad it is when trying to get your head around how to leave with the shame of not successfully fulfilling the conditions that took me to the UK in the first place when I did not come from a wealthy home but an average family all that put together aggravated my condition. Plus the problem of getting a girl pregnant where I was struggling to survive in a complete strange Land.

Travelled back to Nigeria and condition as been somewhat difficult thank God been able to top up with a good area I am in love with- Health. Safety and Environment. Matter of fact certified by Occupational Health and Safety Academy.

The problem now is, I am truly feeling very empty because I miss my daughter, talked with her mum, she appear to be struggling doing it all by herself. Last we talked she complained about being in debt, I want to go back to her to assist her, yes, it is very hard too in Nigeria but with the latest qualification in my portfolio perhaps finding a good job there in UK will ease a lot of burden for her. Thing is, how feasible is it getting a Job there from Nigeria?

I have tried applying for jobs in the UK from Nigeria there seem not to be any luck. I really don't want to go back using her as an edge but I would love to give my daughter a good life as her Dad. As am typing this, my baby been asking about her Dad and the last we spoke on whatsapp she seemed very shy but lacking fatherhood something I could sense.

Please FAM, I need professional advice on the best way to tackle this in the most legitimate way possible. I believe in monogamy, I would love to take my position as her Dad, what should I do? Also being that I think UK may have laws that are quite intimidating, I had thought securing a job and inviting for visits but as we all know it does not seem to be working as planned. Someone should please advise me on what to do.

I miss these beautiful people in my life. Life is hard here in Nigeria at the end, our child has a kind of special emotion we cannot fathom. Initially thought I was never going to see them again but I feel this strong connection that is begging to be united with them.

cheers!!!

You cannot undo the past, but I feel it's your present condition in Nigeria, that enabled your looking backwards. Now your discarded options, seems to almost becoming a moment of redemption..........

Is your babymama currently in another relationship? Thank goodness your mental health, is in a good state at the moment........

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 12:51pm On Nov 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:

You cannot undo the past, but I feel it's your present condition in Nigeria, that enabled your looking backwards. Now your discarded options, seems to almost becoming a moment of redemption..........

Is your babymama currently in another relationship? Thank goodness your mental health, is in a good state at the moment........

She is not

We been chatting for some time now only seem a little worried about doing it by herself...She is a rare breed always wanted a complete family unlike the "USUALS" - Single parenthood
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:18pm On Nov 04, 2018
Freeze007:

She is not

We been chatting for some time now only seem a little worried about doing it by herself...She is a rare breed always wanted a complete family unlike the "USUALS" - Single parenthood

It's kinda strange you did not see this rare breed in her, in the past ..... Not a time to kick a man, when he is already down .....

What is her perception about your proposal?

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 1:30pm On Nov 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:

It's kinda strange you did not see this rare breed in her, in the past ..... Not a time to kick a man, when he is already down .....

What is her perception about your proposal?

Complaining about backlog of debts ordinarily she is consenting I don't want to be a burden but a backbone to lift her up.

Last we talked she said it took five months or more to convince council that I was no longer with her, so you see, going through process again might paint her negatively-we know how the UK works, I may be wrong but my perception!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:37pm On Nov 04, 2018
Freeze007:

Complaining about backlog of debts ordinarily she is consenting I don't want to be a burden but a backbone to lift her up.

Last we talked she said it took five months or more to convince council that I was no longer with her, so you see, going through process again might paint her negatively-we know how the UK works, I may be wrong but my perception!

This statement means she is on some sort of benefits, the moment your name pops up at that address, she would be invited for an interview (if she has not already declared your occupancy)....

So you must hit the ground running, if she decides to give you second chance. So what is lost in benefits, is gained through employment earnings.

If the council provided her with accommodation, hopefully it's a council flat and not a privately rented accomodation. She would also lose her housing benefits.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 1:54pm On Nov 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:

This statement means she is on some sort of benefits, the moment your name pops up at that address, she would be invited for an interview (if she has not already declared your occupancy)....

So you must hit the ground running, if she decides to give you second chance. So what is lost in benefits, is gained through employment earnings.

If the council provided her with accommodation, hopefully it's a council flat and not a privately rented accomodation. She would also lose her housing benefits.......

Glad you see where I am driving at. The big question is what do I do? Actually was thinking it will be nice getting a Job is it possible. what steps should I take? She is already too stressed, yes she says she needs my presence but how do we survive? if for any reason I want to GI back there for me daughter and look after her this time plus get a JOB
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:08pm On Nov 04, 2018
Freeze007:

Glad you see where I am driving at. The big question is what do I do? Actually was thinking it will be nice getting a Job is it possible. what steps should I take? She is already too stressed, yes she says she needs my presence but how do we survive? if for any reason I want to GI back there for me daughter and look after her this time plus get a JOB

The moment you come back, you must be prepared to hit the ground running (office work or not ).........

My biggest concern is, assuming she is a British subject, she would need to earn £18,600, to qualify for a Spousal visa application.

So this issue is not as easy and clear cut as it originally looks (not unless their is something you have not already mentioned).......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 2:42pm On Nov 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:

The moment you come back, you must be prepared to hit the ground running (office work or not ).........

My biggest concern is, assuming she is a British subject, she would need to earn £18,600, to qualify for a Spousal visa application.

So this issue is not as easy and clear cut as it originally looks (not unless their is something you have not already mentioned).......

Brother she is epileptic she cannot work.

Let me believe my prayers cured her because she also said she was unable to bear children from her doctors report I questioned that authority with a command which fell on me either as the victim or the fortunate.

This is why I need a job more than ever to assist her look after our baby together ....Hope I am very clear as I can?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:58pm On Nov 04, 2018
Freeze007:

Brother she is epileptic she cannot work.

Let me believe my prayers cured her because she also said she was unable to bear children from her doctors report I questioned that authority with a command which fell on me either as the victim or the fortunate.

This is why I need a job more than ever to assist her look after our baby together ....Hope I am very clear as I can?

Is she receiving PIP payments? You truly have a magical cassava + condensed milk ......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 3:08pm On Nov 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Is she receiving PIP payments? You truly have a magical cassava + condensed milk ......

PIP really don't know what that means...I don't want to start asking about her finance if you get what I mean.

@My cassava got plenty of milk, very funny...I was actually celibate before I met her. Loneliness caused my tilting!

I think she is a PAYEE OF THAT PIP shit. One time she was complaining about money too small to take care of her..

So, what next Bruv!!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:28pm On Nov 04, 2018
Freeze007:

PIP really don't know what that means...I don't want to start asking about her finance if you get what I mean.

@My cassava got plenty of milk, very funny...I was actually celibate before I met her. Loneliness caused my tilting!

I think she is a PAYEE OF THAT PIP shit. One time she was complaining about money too small to take care of her..

So, what next Bruv!!!

We need to know if she is receiving PIP (disability living allowance)........

No point advising down an irrelevant path, if advice is not true to present circumstances......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:29pm On Nov 04, 2018
Freeze007:

So, what next Bruv!!!

How does she intend having you in the UK ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 4:22pm On Nov 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:

She said it will take time to sort things out. For example said she wanted to be alone now though she said it will be nice to have me around.

I know she is worried because I don't have a job and you know what it means living off a meager sum given by the government. Honestly that was part of the reason I got frustrated because of lacking in certain responsibilities. God help me I need a job
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adapapaokoye: 8:29pm On Nov 04, 2018
nwabobo:

Just seen you've replied my message but unfortunately I no longer have access to the email to which this account is tied.
Okay
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beyondbasicsng: 4:55pm On Nov 05, 2018
Hi all, a little help please. So, I was told by a few colleagues that they recieved their tier 2 visa 15 working days after application- however, I got an email today from UKVI saying that that only applies to visitor Visa and that tier 2 MAY take up to 12 weeks. I know that's not to say it can't come on or a few days after 15 working days, but I'd like to hear from anyone on here who recently got theirs; how long it took. Also, those with dependents, did everyone's passort arrive at the same time or days apart (dont live in lag or Abuja so we paid to have it delivered), as I have also heard they sometimes don't come together. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2018
beyondbasicsng:
Hi all, a little help please. So, I was told by a few colleagues that they recieved their tier 2 visa 15 working days after application- however, I got an email today from UKVI saying that that only applies to visitor Visa and that tier 2 MAY take up to 12 weeks. I know that's not to say it can't come on or a few days after 15 working days, but I'd like to hear from anyone on here who recently got theirs; how long it took. Also, those with dependents, did everyone's passort arrive at the same time or days apart (dont live in lag or Abuja so we paid to have it delivered), as I have also heard they sometimes don't come together. Thank you

Tier 2 usually takes 3weeks and 5working days with priority and I believe that is still the case because of current details on gov.uk website.

Your passport should arrive the same day if you all went in together for biometrics as it is usually advised.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by vladimiros: 6:42pm On Nov 05, 2018
so I just heard the UK government has scrapped residency requirements as a foreigners willing to join the UK armed forces
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beyondbasicsng: 6:55pm On Nov 05, 2018
@fatima04 thats exactly what I read on the website too and I believe it should still apply, except, the email i received today just sorta threw me off a bit.

-We booked a group application session, so I guess that covers. Thanks alot
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 7:41pm On Nov 05, 2018
vladimiros:
so I just heard the UK government has scrapped residency requirements as a foreigners willing to join the UK armed forces

for commonwealth citizens
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 8:24pm On Nov 05, 2018
Freeze007:
Hello Nairalanders,

cheers!!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lamakinde(m): 11:57pm On Nov 05, 2018
Came with a lot of attachments and weave on on last trip in October and no one stopped me.

Adapapaokoye:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:06am On Nov 06, 2018
Lamakinde:
Came with a lot of attachments and weave on on last trip in October and no one stopped me.

Because no one stopped you, does not mean others have never been stopped.....

If you travel without visa restrictions, the worse that would happen is confistication & destruction.......

If you have visa restrictions, the consequences could be severe.......

Be safe than sorry...........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 10:22am On Nov 06, 2018
Lexusgs430:

We talked yesterday or a day before... Here is our conversation.
[11/5, 19:18] Leila Kamara: Better now
[11/5, 19:18] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: Cool Cool
[11/5, 19:18] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: Are you on PIP
[11/5, 19:18] Leila Kamara: No
[11/5, 19:19] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: Been asking questions on my best option to relocate and I was advised to ask what your proposal is
[11/5, 19:19] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: On this matter
[11/5, 19:19] Leila Kamara: OK
[11/5, 19:20] Leila Kamara: Do you mean how or where?
[11/5, 19:21] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: I mean what your take is on the subject matter. Both will be suggestive especially as it concerns UK
[11/5, 19:23] Leila Kamara: I don't know about how. But if you could get here we could live together.
[11/5, 19:23] Leila Kamara: It just depends on how you are getting here that's all
[11/5, 19:24] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: I guess this is sufficient for my helper to sort me out
[11/5, 19:25] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: He appears to be willing to help he needed me seek your consent
[11/5, 19:25] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: I have not been able to call because of the tariff charges over here,please bear with me
[11/5, 19:26] Leila Kamara: That's OK
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by vladimiros: 6:36pm On Nov 06, 2018
deept:

for commonwealth citizens
is Nigeria not part of the Commonwealth group of nations?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 12:13am On Nov 07, 2018
Freeze007:

We talked yesterday or a day before... Here is our conversation.
[11/5, 19:18] Leila Kamara: Better now
[11/5, 19:18] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: Cool Cool
[11/5, 19:18] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: Are you on PIP
[11/5, 19:18] Leila Kamara: No
[11/5, 19:19] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: Been asking questions on my best option to relocate and I was advised to ask what your proposal is
[11/5, 19:19] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: On this matter
[11/5, 19:19] Leila Kamara: OK
[11/5, 19:20] Leila Kamara: Do you mean how or where?
[11/5, 19:21] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: I mean what your take is on the subject matter. Both will be suggestive especially as it concerns UK
[11/5, 19:23] Leila Kamara: I don't know about how. But if you could get here we could live together.
[11/5, 19:23] Leila Kamara: It just depends on how you are getting here that's all
[11/5, 19:24] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: I guess this is sufficient for my helper to sort me out
[11/5, 19:25] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: He appears to be willing to help he needed me seek your consent
[11/5, 19:25] Earnest Gazillionaire!!!: I have not been able to call because of the tariff charges over here,please bear with me
[11/5, 19:26] Leila Kamara: That's OK

What is your main reason of wanting to go to the UK?
A) To be a father figure to your daughter who has been missing the love and care of a father

B) To reconnect with your baby mama

C) To run away from Nigeria

Your story seem to suggest that your baby mama is suffering in the UK, with debts and no money.

Your story seem to suggest that your daughter too isn’t finding things easy.

The best solution for you is this:
CONVINCE YOUR BABY MAMA AND TO PICK YOUR DAUGHTER AND JOIN YOU IN NIGERIA.

Or

APPLY FOR, AND GET A TIER 2 VISA. THEN GO TO THE UK AND BE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER WHILE YOU WORK.
If Holy Spirit touch you, then Marry your baby mama. In that case, you have a job, a wife, a daughter. Complete family.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lamakinde(m): 12:45am On Nov 07, 2018
you are right sha! grin

Lexusgs430:

Because no one stopped you, does not mean others have never been stopped.....

If you travel without visa restrictions, the worse that would happen is confistication & destruction.......

If you have visa restrictions, the consequences could be severe.......

Be safe than sorry...........

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.