Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,994 members, 7,806,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (97) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1300806 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 12:16am On Dec 29, 2018
dustydee:

Rhemito has the best rate I have seen so far.

https://www.rhemito.com/

Interesting..never heard of them before, have you used them before and how quick is their service?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 12:27am On Dec 29, 2018
Use TransferWise

kaad:
People, how do you send money to naija? with good exchange rate...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 12:29am On Dec 29, 2018
Signed

fatima04:
Petition: Scrap NHS surcharge for non EU living in UK who already pay N.I contributions
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/224781

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nomsy2(f): 1:14am On Dec 29, 2018
Alright thanks

nomad26:
I booked for IELTS (not UKVI version though) less than a month before the exam date. Why don't you go to the BC site and check available dates closest to you?
https://ieltsukvisas.britishcouncil.org/

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nomsy2(f): 1:17am On Dec 29, 2018
OK I have a little hitch though.... my license has expired since 2014 I didn't renew it because my organization never asked to see updated license, my bad...
Is the license part of the documents to submit or will the certificate and notification plus testimonial suffice?

Any ideas?

sutelk:

Still the same.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:15am On Dec 29, 2018
justwise:

Interesting..never heard of them before, have you used them before and how quick is their service?
I have been using them for about 2 years now. They had some issues with their system and were off for a long time but recently resumed transfers. It takes around an hour or less for the funds to hit the account.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:19am On Dec 29, 2018
dustydee:

I have been using them for about 2 years now. They had some issues with their system and were off for a long time but recently resumed transfers. It takes around an hour or less for the funds to hit the account.

Then they are better than Azimo and transferwise

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:23am On Dec 29, 2018
justwise:
[/b]

Then they are better than Azimo and transferwise
Transferwise is very good and is what I use if rhemito is not available as they often have the second best rate.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:30am On Dec 29, 2018
dustydee:

Transferwise is very good and is what I use if rhemito is not available as they often have the second best rate.

Not really though their transfer speed is good but rate is not that good because their commission increases while Azimo remains the same no matter the amount you are sending. Transferwise is good if you are sending anything £1-£100, Azimo transfer speed is frustrating.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 10:41am On Dec 29, 2018
justwise:

Not really though their transfer speed is good but rate is not that good because their commission increases while Azimo remains the same no matter the amount you are sending. Transferwise is good if you are sending anything £1-£100, Azimo transfer speed is frustrating.
Ok, I have not used Azimo before. I have used world remit, transferwise, ping-express, Rhemito and Transferboss(used to have very good rates and quite fast until the CBN license issue for transfer operators, I have not used them in over 2 years and not confident in their services anymore)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:53am On Dec 29, 2018
dustydee:

Ok, I have not used Azimo before. I have used world remit, transferwise, ping-express, Rhemito and Transferboss(used to have very good rates and quite fast until the CBN license issue for transfer operators, I have not used them in over 2 years and not confident in their services anymore)

I have sent more money through Azimo than Transferwise for more than a year now, their system is good apart from slow transfer speed.

I'm going to register with Rhemito today just to try them out but because Azimo remembers my BD with gift i will keep using them too grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 4:19pm On Dec 29, 2018
Compliments of the season all. Trust u guys had a luvly Xmas?
I am in need of a living-@ in nanny for my three kids, please does any body know how much they pay living in nanny for three kids. The nanny will work from monday to Friday from 7am to 7pm and two sats in a month. I live in Peterborough, does any one know how much will be will be ok. Will £600 be ok for a month since the nanny is going to live with me? Please I need responses for those that are using nanny

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2018
justwise:

I have sent more money through Azimo than Transferwise for more than a year now, their system is good apart from slow transfer speed.

I'm going to register with Rhemito today just to try them out but because Azimo remembers my BD with gift i will keep using them too grin grin

I started using azimo based on your recommendation sometime ago on this forum.

Azimo is lightening fast for me. No jokes. Azimo will still be processing transfer on their app but fund is already chilling in my naija account. I don't wait for the transaction completed thing again. I just launch my Naija Bank app and there is the money sitting gorgeously cheesy

In my last 5 transfers, I've credited whoever in naija from my Access Bank app from the money I sent through azimo before azimo's app completes the transaction transcript.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by geek(m): 5:20pm On Dec 29, 2018
Killingmesoftly:
Will £600 be ok for a month since the nanny is going to live with me?

You’ll need to pay her the National minimum wage (currently between £4.20 and £7.83 per hour, depending on her age). Minimum wage will be increasing in 2019 as part of the new tax year - https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

You can offset her accommodation - but to a maximum of £7 per day.

So if, for example, you hired a 20 year old nanny who is contracted to work 7am to 7pm, her daily pay will be £70.80 (for this year, remember minimum wage increases next April). Then, when you deduct the £7 for her accommodation, by law you’ll have to pay her £63.80 per day.

Depending on her age you’ll also need to pay into a pension plan. Be aware that you are also liable to pay the tax and National Insurance – plus the employer's NI – for the hours you employ your nanny, regardless of her age.

So £600 a month unfortunately doesn’t come close to what you’ll need to pay her per month. I’d suggest you look at local childminder services or an au pair instead.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:10pm On Dec 29, 2018
justwise:

I actually really love Azimo. Transferwise collect too much money as commission. My azimo transfers are actually really fast.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 8:13pm On Dec 29, 2018
geek:

You’ll need to pay her the National minimum wage (currently between £4.20 and £7.83 per hour, depending on her age). Minimum wage will be increasing in 2019 as part of the new tax year - https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

So if, for example, you hired a 20 year old nanny who is contracted to work 7am to 7pm, her daily pay will be £70.80 (for this year, remember minimum wage increases next April). Then, when you deduct the £7 for her accommodation, by law you’ll have to pay her £63.80 per day.

Depending on her age you’ll also need to pay into a pension plan. Be aware that you are also liable to pay the tax and National Insurance – plus the employer's NI – for the hours you employ your nanny, regardless of her age.

So £600 a month unfortunately doesn’t come close to what you’ll need to pay her per month. I’d suggest you look at local childminder services or an au pair instead.

Thanks for your response but it is local childminder I am looking for. I can only afford £600 a month. I am just asking to know how much others pay
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Beautyaddy: 8:37pm On Dec 29, 2018
geek:

Wow!!..all these requirements just to have a live in-nanny aka maids.

Doesn't it just tells us that all those maids in Nigeria are actually slaves in disguise undecided

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaad: 9:12pm On Dec 29, 2018
justwise:

Thank you all. I will check Rhemito for their rate.
Azimo seems popular but they offer the lowest exchange rate when compared to transferwise and paysend.
I wish I can get my pounds to the abokis in zone 4 Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 10:36pm On Dec 29, 2018
If you're sending over £250, there's a £30 cashback through topcashback...might turn out to be cheaper for you.
kaad:

Thank you all. I will check Rhemito for their rate.
Azimo seems popular but they offer the lowest exchange rate when compared to transferwise and paysend.
I wish I can get my pounds to the abokis in zone 4 Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:52pm On Dec 29, 2018
Inkredible:

I started using azimo based on your recommendation sometime ago on this forum.

Azimo is lightening fast for me. No jokes. Azimo will still be processing transfer on their app but fund is already chilling in my naija account. I don't wait for the transaction completed thing again. I just launch my Naija Bank app and there is the money sitting gorgeously cheesy

In my last 5 transfers, I've credited whoever in naija from my Access Bank app from the money I sent through azimo before azimo's app completes the transaction transcript.

That is interesting..my last two transfers were not fast at all, took more than 5hrs to get to my Nigerian account but like i said previously i will still use them.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:43am On Dec 30, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Thanks for your response but it is local childminder I am looking for. I can only afford £600 a month. I am just asking to know how much others pay

And whatever you do, NEVER get tempted to import a nanny from Nigeria.....

I know bringing up kids is a major expense in the UK, the only solution is for people to work alternate shift patterns or ship grandma over ...

Daddy works night, while Mummy works days or vice versa...... (well, not unless you have a money tree in the garden)........

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:45am On Dec 30, 2018
Beautyaddy:

Wow!!..all these requirements just to have a live in-nanny aka maids.

Doesn't it just tells us that all those maids in Nigeria are actually slaves in disguise undecided

Indeed, indirectly enslaved....... When you consider their renumeration, expectations and benefits (or lack of)......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 6:40am On Dec 30, 2018
Lexusgs430:

And whatever you do, NEVER get tempted to import a nanny from Nigeria.....

I know bringing up kids is a major expense in the UK, the only solution is for people to work alternate shift patterns or ship grandma over ...

Daddy works night, while Mummy works days or vice versa...... (well, not unless you have a money tree in the garden)........

Thanks for the response

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by bimbulah: 11:25am On Dec 30, 2018
Please house kindly send me to UK spouse extend wall
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by bimbulah: 11:26am On Dec 30, 2018
I mean UK spouse visa extend
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 1:27pm On Dec 30, 2018
justwise:

I realised the secret is to add your bank account card details to the app. Once you do that it takes less than 10 minutes even on a weekend.

Ordinarily, your regular banks would want to confirm before the transfer is done but my starling and monzo banks make it stress free

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:30pm On Dec 30, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

I realised the secret is to add your bank account card details to the app. Once you do that it takes less than 10 minutes even on a weekend.

Ordinarily, your regular banks would want to confirm before the transfer is done but my starling and monzo banks make it stress free

That i haven't tried but i will give it a go next time i'm sending money.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EfemenaXY: 3:10pm On Dec 30, 2018
Killingmesoftly:
I am in need of a living-@ in nanny for my three kids, please does any body know how much they pay living in nanny for three kids. The nanny will work from monday to Friday from 7am to 7pm and two sats in a month. I live in Peterborough, does any one know how much will be will be ok. Will £600 be ok for a month since the nanny is going to live with me? Please I need responses for those that are using nanny

£600 doesn’t cut it dear.

Minimum wage for a 21-24 year old is £7.05 per hour and for someone to look after 3 kids for 12 hours a day, you definitely need someone mature, with a lot of experience handling kids and bucketloads of patience. You also need someone who’s got at the very least some basic first aid / cpr training in case of emergencies and I doubt anyone with these basic qualifications will settle for minimum wage payments.

That aside, you’re asking for 25 days of service (ie 5 days a week and 2 saturdays a month). That equates to £7.05 X 12 = £84.60 per day. Or £84.6 X 25 = £2,115.00 a month.

Your best bet as someone mentioned will be to either work shift patterns with your spouse i.e one of you works day and the other night - but even then that would be a strain on the person who does the long night shift because he or she will need to get some sleep during the day, and that would be difficult with 3 (young?) kids. Bringing in the grandparent(s) might help.

If this isn’t possible, then explore the possibility of working from home and/or part-time. I think some churches run crèches/nurseries. I’ve also heard of parents who come together and share childcare responsibilities on a rotational basis (never tried it myself though).

Otherwise you’ll just have to face up to the frustrating fact that you might have to give up / place your plans of returning to work on hold and concentrate on bringing up your kids till they’re a bit older and are in full time education.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 1:55am On Dec 31, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

I believe you mean an au pair and not a nanny?

A nanny is the expensive option which would cost over £1k pcm or is it the agency type nanny cum aupair? The ones you pay per week?

Everything depends on your bargaining power I believe,I had one Nigerian nanny from an agency and I regretted it.

I was paying £1500 ,then I was paying holiday bonus,she had special food which we supplied and we also paid for her toiletries etc

She worked 5 days a week 8-6:30 and had weekends off.She did not cook,only job she did was clean her room,kids room and her bathroom,fold their laundry(we ironed), dress the kids make sure they had their meals & bathe them.

She was basically looking after the younger child as we placed the older one in nursery 4 times a week.

She was overtly familiar and kept on reminding me that she was a bank manager in Nigeria years ago,she was a big woman etc,I asked her how that was relevant to this job?

She was also very critical of the way we raised our children and wanted us to call her mama.

She never took the kids to the park or did any extra curricular activities with them, and she was constantly complaining.

If we came home and cooked food late she would complain that she was hungry..we always told her all the food was at her disposal but she preferred to eat what I cooked.

She once mistakenly knocked my daughter down and then blamed her for being in her way.

She scratched my daughter's face and blamed me for not buying hand creme to soften her nails.

She blamed my then 3 year old for farting in her face on purpose but she bent him over to wash his bum and somehow he farted but she said he did it on purpose.

This is a shortened version.I employed this Nigerian nanny who came highly recommended by the agency cos I thought it would aid my children in learning my local language.

We fired her after she tried to accuse my husband and I of something we did not do, something she clearly did but refused to tell the truth.

My children hated her but we were desperate cos of our jobs.I regret every second of it and will never make the mistake of sacrificing the well being of my children again just to make a living.

I have a friend who shipped a relative from Nigeria to nanny for her,the woman called police for them and said they took her documents and enslaved her..this woman is in her 40s.

Some people have good experiences though.

Nowadays I pay £1100 pcm for 4 days in nursery then breakfast and after school club £400pcm.
Extracurriculars cost about £300-400pcm

Once the younger one turns three,nursery fee will come down to about £700.

I'm happier with nursery for now because I have peace of mind,I'm happy to spend the money and have peace.The risk of leaving my most precious possession in the hands of just.anybody is too scary.I no dey do again.

DH and I have had to work round each other. He is more flexible thankfully as I cannot pick and choose my shifts at will.

I also spend loads to bring in grandparents from Nigeria but then again I have peace of mind.

If you have CCTV at home,maybe you can employ an aupair I don't know but you will have to tell.her there are cameras installed.I think they're the ones in the price range you mentioned,I may be wrong.

3 children is a lot but it depends on their ages.If 3 and above,check the 30 free hours entitlement.
If less than 3,you'll need to cough up the cash and work with partner/husband or not work at all till they're older.

Me I prefer to work and spend all my salary on nursery just to preserve my sanity, besides having a leg in the career door is very necessary for every woman.

Good luck.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adapapaokoye: 2:16am On Dec 31, 2018
Hello. Please check your inbox. Thanks
I am in need of a living-@ in nanny for my three kids, please does any body know how much they pay living in nanny for three kids. The nanny will work from monday to Friday from 7am to 7pm and two sats in a month. I live in Peterborough, does any one know how much will be will be ok. Will £600 be ok for a month since the nanny is going to live with me? Please I need responses for those that are using nanny[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AmazingAngel(f): 6:11am On Dec 31, 2018
Hello everyone, i have been a silent follower of this thread, I love what you guys are doing. Compliment of the season to you. About the money transfer from the UK through those apps, do the naija account has to be domiciliary or the normal savings account would do?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nwabobo: 6:58am On Dec 31, 2018
AmazingAngel:
Hello everyone, i have been a silent follower of this thread, I love what you guys are doing. Compliment of the season to you. About the money transfer from the UK through those apps, do the naija account has to be domiciliary or the normal savings account would do?

Normal naira accounts.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.