Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers (8344 Views)

Chicken Republic Reacts To Sack Of Security Guards / IGP Orders Probe Of The Sack Of Unmarried Pregnant Policewoman In Ekiti / Union, Kenya Airways Bicker Over Sack Of 22 Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by akelicious(m): 6:00pm On Nov 06, 2017
Primary and secondary school teachers in Kaduna State, under the auspices of Nigeria Union of Teachers ( NUT ) have issued a two weeks ultimatum to Governor Nasir El-Rufai to rescind his government’s decision to sack 21,780 primary teachers.

NUT said, it has concluded arrangements to embark on an indefinite strike and shutdown schools if the Governor fails to shelve his sack plan by the end of the two weeks ultimatum.

The umbrella union of primary and secondary school teachers at a press conference in Kaduna on Monday said, El-Rufai shifted the goal-post in the middle of the game.

Chairman of the union, Comrade Audu Titus Amba who read their open letter to Governor El-Rufai before newsmen said, it was initially agreed by all stakeholders in the education sector that the pass mark for the competency test be pegged at 60 per cent, while those who are unable to score up to 60 per cent be retrained.

According to the open letter signed by NUT Assistant Secretary General, Comrade Adamu Ango, “That, the NUT, Kaduna State Wing as a responsible stakeholder in the educational sector even though aware of the position of the law as it relates to the body statutorily empowered to regulate the teaching profession cooperated with the Kaduna State government under the mistaken believe that the intention of the state government was altruistic, in the sense that it is aimed at enhancing state. However, with the benefit of hindsight we now know better.

“That it is agreed by all stakeholders in the educational sector that the pass mark for the competency test be pegged at 60 per cent while those who are unable to score up to 60 per cent be retrained.

“However, in a classical display of bad faith which started as a rumour, the Kaduna State government unilaterally and arbitrarily pegged the pass mark for the competency test at an unprecedented 75 per cent.

“Your Excellency, while hosting a delegation of World Bank officials, you announced to the whole world that 21,780 teachers will be disengaged in Kaduna State Public primary and secondary schools for not scoring up to 75 per cent in the competency test, while 25,000 will be recruited in their stead.

“That, the NUT, Kaduna State Wing wrote a letter to you, appealing to your conscience to rescind the decision above, but as usual, you ignored the letter and went ahead with your avowed determination to impose your will against the consensus of bonafide stakeholders in the educational sector.

“The NUT subsequently as a last resort and in the spirit of constitutional democracy, rule of law, due process decided to approach the National Industrial Court, Kaduna division to adjudicate on the issue of whether the Kaduna State government has the statutory power to conduct the competency test and which Court processes have been served on you and the office of the Attorney General.

“However, contrary to all standards of decency in a democratic setting and in spite of the service of Court process on the Kaduna State government, you have gone ahead to publish on your tweeter handle, a list of teachers who purportedly passed the competency test by scoring 75 per cent and above.

“All the above, leaves the Kaduna State Wing of the NUT with no option other than to serve the instant notice in compliance with the wishes of its members expressed at the meeting of the state wing executive council held on the 6th November, 2017“, the letter read.

http://www.akelicious.com/2017/11/nut-writes-el-rufai-over-sack-of-21780.html

1 Like

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by HeyCorleone(m): 6:05pm On Nov 06, 2017
They're pleading for mediocrity.. Smh.
Nigeria is finished. QED.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by python1: 6:06pm On Nov 06, 2017
So, the issue is not about whether or not the teachers are qualified, it is simply about having teaching jobs? This NUT is mad. I trust Elrufai, he can't be bullied. Impose no work no pay policy, and sack any bastard that misbehaves. Qualified graduates are roaming the streets without jobs and bloody illiterates want to be teaching. Nansense.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by NwaAmaikpe: 7:07am On Nov 07, 2017
shocked

This the origin of the bane and decadence of our educational sector.
Why should a professional body as NUT stoop so low as to whip up unnecessary sentiments from a deed done with no malicious intent.

Why should NUT promote mediocrity?

NUT should instead commend El-Rufai for helping it weed out it's quacks.

I pity for the future of education in Nigeria

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by nairavsdollars(f): 7:08am On Nov 07, 2017
How many teachers are left after sacking over 21,000? Na Kaduna be headquarters of teachers?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by vict505(m): 7:08am On Nov 07, 2017
Hnmm
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 07, 2017
Emperor El Rufai, pepper them
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by femi4: 7:11am On Nov 07, 2017
21,000....that's uncalled for

3 Likes

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by BunbleBee: 7:12am On Nov 07, 2017
chai!..... NUT!, so it's about the job and not quality education?...naija is finished patapata

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by sylviaeo(f): 7:13am On Nov 07, 2017
So its no longer a competency test. Ordinary primary four work is too difficult for them. Even 75% is too low. D north is another planet entirely

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by CadetFrancis: 7:14am On Nov 07, 2017
Nigeria is finish. God who did we offend? Why is Nigeria going backward everyday? Why cant we have Good Leaders for once?
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Rahoof2(m): 7:15am On Nov 07, 2017
The institution is full of bunch of dull brains.
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by titosblink: 7:15am On Nov 07, 2017
nairavsdollars:
How many teachers are left after sacking over 21,000? Na Kaduna be headquarters of teachers?

Don't mind kaduna state govt sad all this shakara na cos dem dey get Corpers wey dey help dem do the teaching still yet d govt don't even pay the Corpers
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by niceprof: 7:17am On Nov 07, 2017
If you have lived in the North of Nigeria you will appreciate what El-rufai has done,even some secondary school teachers will still fail the same primary four exam.

I have taught in the North so i know what am saying.
At an educational summit in Maiduguiri ,a Northern educationist was bold to say that what the North needs are nursery and primary schools,those that pass should go to other parts of the country to continue their education.

And i agreed with her.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 07, 2017
I AM FROM THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY. I support EL RUFAI on this one. If the NUT dare embark on strike for 21,000 semi-literates impersonating as teachers, he is free to sack everyone of them, proscribe NUT in the state and employ competent teachers in their stead. Unionism should not be a gateway to mediocrity and foolishness

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by ify84(m): 7:20am On Nov 07, 2017
Many factors affect ones performance in a sitting at an exam.. So, they should be given another chance for another exam..
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by dharrey2012: 7:22am On Nov 07, 2017
No on the job training for them for over decades and you want them to improve? It's only in Nigeria we plant maize and expect apple

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by kobabe(m): 7:23am On Nov 07, 2017
We are watching
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Actuarydeji(m): 7:25am On Nov 07, 2017
nairavsdollars:
Why are you talking like this!!

2 Likes

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Positivist: 7:28am On Nov 07, 2017
NUT doesn't know what is best for education if that's its demand.

2 Likes

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by owomano(m): 7:32am On Nov 07, 2017
This is a barbaric and reckless statement coming from a professional body like NUT. What on earth are they saying or propagating? That primary and secondary school teachers wrote a primary 4 exam, scored less than 75% and they should be allowed to do what? 75% in the first instance is sickening. Primary 4 exam? And they scored less than 75% and they are teachers? Fire them immediately!

8 Likes

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by morikee: 7:32am On Nov 07, 2017
#sackthemall bunch of fools
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by fabre4: 7:33am On Nov 07, 2017
python1:
So, the issue is not about whether or not the teachers are qualified, it is simply about having teaching jobs? This NUT is mad. I trust Elrufai, he can't be bullied. Impose no work no pay policy, and sack any bastard that misbehaves. Qualified graduates are roaming the streets without jobs and bloody illiterates want to be teaching. Nansense.
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This the origin of the bane and decadence of our educational sector.
Why should a professional body as NUT stoop so low as to whip up unnecessary sentiments from a deed done with no malicious intent.

Why should NUT promote mediocrity?

NUT should instead commend El-Rufai for helping it weed out it's quacks.

I pity for the future of education in Nigeria

you guys just commented without reading the post well .They were told they were to be retrained not sacked and while am not in support of mediocrity I think the government should abide by their word.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Talk2bryant(m): 7:39am On Nov 07, 2017
What training does a primary school teacher needs again to pass primary four question ? Have you seen the test questions ? I live in sokoto and I can give first hand information about their educational standard here. Their teachers don't go to school leaving corp members to handle bulk of the work, most of them can't even speak simple English, down to their teachers. The NUT is supporting mediocrity here and the Governor should impose a no work no pay rule.
dharrey2012:
No on the job training for them for over decades and you want them to improve? It's only in Nigeria we plant maize and expect apple

14 Likes

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Oildichotomy(m): 7:49am On Nov 07, 2017
If the original intent of the government was to retrain the teachers that scored less than the benchmark, I don't see any reason why the government should rescind the decision and do anything they like.

It is this tyrannical tendencies that won't make things work, you automatically turn people or groups into rebel mode.

Leadership from top to bottom sucks in this country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by globatop: 7:49am On Nov 07, 2017
The way unionism is used in Nigeria is negatively affecting development.

Fayemi of ekiti did similar thing and it cost him his 2nd term. The civil servants ganged up against him, but today, the incumbent govt is taking the Glory as the state had the best result in ssce.

We have enough qualified graduates roaming the streets yet the mediocres are filling the job positions.

That is the reason marks are lowered in the North for the purpose of entering unity schools.
This qouta system should be abolished so the North will know where they are in scheme of things.
Reason for almajiri and useful tools for bokoharam.

3 Likes

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by joshnes(m): 7:57am On Nov 07, 2017
Even though this El-rufai man is probably genocidal, this is a good development by his government. You cannot have good and qualitative education with bad and inferior teachers. I'll say out with the old, in with the new.

2 Likes

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Yelutide: 8:01am On Nov 07, 2017
Lets be sincere here, if there are lot of jobs in the country do you think you and I will want to be a teacher? 80% of primary and secondary school teachers we have today aren't teachers by profession but teachers just to have what to eat. Provide Job for graduates and you'll get certified teachers in the class room.

Now that he sacked 21,000 teachers... he has just succeeded in adding to the problem of the society.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by ibkgab001: 8:04am On Nov 07, 2017
Lolllll. Can I get 1M likes for the Kad midget Gov grin

In NwaAmaikpe's voice" Nigeria will be better soon ... sack them all and employ new fresh grad
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by delugajackson: 8:08am On Nov 07, 2017
Its a good development by the governor. But I think the teachers should undergo training and re-training if possible.

The harsh economic situation is not a joke. For someone to lose his job at this moment is the worst thing that can ever happen if there is nothing to fall back to.

I hope the government reconsiders their decision on the matter.
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by Sunsets: 8:11am On Nov 07, 2017
Talk2bryant:
What training does a primary school teacher needs[/color] again to pass primary four question ? Have you seen the test questions ? I live in [color=#990000]sokoto and I can give first hand information about their educational standard here. Their teachers don't go to school leaving corp members to handle bulk of the work, most of them can't even speak simple English, down to their teachers. The NUT is supporting mediocrity here and the Governor should impose a no work no pay rule.

My dear Talk2bryant, it is by the same measure that this your comment laced with grammatical blunders has been pardoned that the teachers should be pardoned and trained. Ask ElRufai if he has sponsored training and retraining for the teachers involved. Besides, the book says 60%, why change the goal post midway in a game?
Re: Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers by maasoap(m): 8:13am On Nov 07, 2017
HeyCorleone:
They're pleading for mediocrity.. Smh.

Nigeria is finished. QED.
Nigeria is not finished. 75% pass mark? Haba!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Requirements To Work As A Nurse In Germany. / Nigeria’s Top 50 HR Professionals To Be Unveiled / Ghana Military Women Are Sexy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.