Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) (28777 Views)

7 Things You Must Know As A New Graduate / 7 Things You Should Never Discuss In The Office / Do You Want Fantastic Achievements This Year? Stop Doing These Things (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by morereb10: 6:11am On Nov 07, 2017
To be candid guys, you need to get real. I don't know about ladies but guys tend to make stupid decisions and still spend unnecessarily when they are broke and this has to stop. You have to find away to distinguish between your needs and your wants.

The worst nightmare for anyone is being broke. No one wants to be in a state where we don't have money to do some things but guess what, sometimes we find ourselves their and its no juju from the village or one uncle pursuing you, it is simply because of bad financial decision

So you need to stop winging and get on with your life and make smarter decisions next time. But before such a time, their is need to cut-down on certain expenses. It doesn't matter if you are broke for a short while or you are broke for a very long period, there are things you need to do to adjust to the financial situations, to prevent you from acquiring lots of debt.

These are the seven things you need to avoid..

1. Pretending to have money you don't

Seeing is believing. People tend to believe what they see. If people see the way you spend money, they think you have money, and they expect you to spend. Though you really don't have to let people know your financial situation but don't pretend you have when you don't. It will ruin your finance totally.

2. Paying for subscription services

If you are broke, you need to cancel some unnecessary subscriptions that are not helping matters. Cancel subscriptions on cable tv, social clubs, gym membership, for the period you are broke. Once you bounce back, then you can re-subscribe. It won't affect your life if you don't have some things but it can affect your finance and financial goals if you subscribe to some things and you have to pay through your nose. Try to adjust.

3. Hanging out with friends

When you are in a broke state, reduce how much you hang out or party with friends. Spending time with friends outside your house or their house automatically means you would spend money, which you can't really afford when you are broke. If you won't be paying for drinks or food or getting free food and drinks, then stay put at your house.

Find an alternative way to have fun with your friends.

4. Paying bills late

Try not to pay your bills late. They have a way of adding up, finding a way to eat up into the little you have. It is cheaper to pay your bills earlier, than having an accumulated sum which can disrupt your finances.

5. Spending savings or emergency fund unnecessarily

If you are broke and you have a savings or an emergency fund you can fall back on. Try making the best out of it till you get out of your broke state. Only spend your emergency savings on emergency situations and savings on important things. Make your savings and emergency savings last for a long period. Remember, spend on what you need, not what you want.

6. Eating out

If you have the habit of eating out and ordering food to be delivered to you, you need to quit it. It would leave you totally broke. Buy food stuff at a market or supermarket, take it home to cook. You get value for your money.

7. Sticking to old spending habits

The reason why you are in your broke state is probably because of your bad spending habits and your bad financial decisions. You’ll need to review and check your financial habits and decisions and find possible ways of improving on them, so you don't find yourself in such financial situation in the future.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/amp.pulse.ng/lifestyle/money/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-you-are-broke-id7551066.html

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Airforce1(m): 6:13am On Nov 07, 2017
Our river would never run dry in Jesus Name, Amen.

154 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Queenlovely(f): 6:19am On Nov 07, 2017
A

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Queenlovely(f): 6:20am On Nov 07, 2017
Tomorrow will take care of itself

my heavenly father will provide all your needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus

30 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by benuejosh: 6:26am On Nov 07, 2017
1. It is called packaging

2. Make sense

3. When am broke my friends take care of me till am back to my feet. And most often, you meet people who will be or are of great assistance to you when you hang out. When am broke i make more friends and when am not broke i make much more friends.

4. It recently happened to me. I intentionally didn't pay up my bills on a public service for some months. And when i decided to pay, the amount they called for me made me bring out my calculator.

5. Make sense. Although economics will not totally agree to saving.

6. And what if you don't know how to cook that particular tasty meal? I can't eat concussion prepared by my own self.

7. Money is meant to be spent.

12 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by uzoormah(m): 6:35am On Nov 07, 2017
Queenlovely:
2001 somebody approached me and adviced me to stop buying books. I asked her why. She said it would enable me pay of my debt on a Ferrari I bought.
So many people poke nosing into other people's business. I never told her I was in debt. How did she know

So many people dishing out dangerous advice. Don't tell me how to spend my money

Ur type will not go far in life..thats how u will be disturbing ur boyfriend upandan..."dnt tell me how to spend my money"

7 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by majamajic(m): 6:44am On Nov 07, 2017
nothing said about women here !!!

I think it falls under 'Subscription

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Eggcelent(m): 6:53am On Nov 07, 2017
Nice Effort. Impressive
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Kizyte(m): 10:18am On Nov 07, 2017
Ok
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by kolafolabi(m): 10:18am On Nov 07, 2017
These go to I wanna belong...

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 07, 2017
Good article.
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 07, 2017
Op for this beautiful article...

You can have all the girls in my area...

cheesy

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by merryossai(m): 10:20am On Nov 07, 2017
a
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Andyblaze: 10:20am On Nov 07, 2017
Queenlovely:
2001 somebody approached me and adviced me to stop buying books. I asked her why. She said it would enable me pay of my debt on a Ferrari I bought.
So many people poke nosing into other people's business. I never told her I was in debt. How did she know

So many people dishing out dangerous advice. Don't tell me how to spend my money

Which fucccking ferrari

9 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by sharisto(m): 10:21am On Nov 07, 2017
HOW ABT 9JA BET, DAT MOMEMENT ONE GAME CUT D TICKET U THOUGHT ULL USE TO COME OUT FROM UR BROKE LEVEL.

8 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by lelvin(m): 10:21am On Nov 07, 2017
Hehe...i hope they will listen. The truth is, broke people spend more money than rich people.

That was how one of my friends those days would borrow money and immediately take his babe for shopping.

In my mind, I knew he'll be The Brokers Brand Ambassador. grin now the babe is married with two kids and baba is still submitting CVs.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 07, 2017
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by xana101: 10:21am On Nov 07, 2017
Avoid women when u are broke guys

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Rapmoney(m): 10:22am On Nov 07, 2017
H
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by hardywaltz(m): 10:22am On Nov 07, 2017
Owo na bastar.d
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by ugolinze123(m): 10:23am On Nov 07, 2017
fact!...i have been in this state before but what saved me was i bought a lot of food stuff even vegetables and dry fish which i dried everyday at home and filled my gas cooker...if u have'nt been there u wont understand.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Nobody: 10:23am On Nov 07, 2017
Rapmoney:
H
H for hugeAss grin
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by 4rty(f): 10:24am On Nov 07, 2017
U are on point some peeps do all these to show off n when they r in their closet, they weep or go borrowing to meet up which I see as stupidity.
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Shaw007(m): 10:24am On Nov 07, 2017
watching videos of test drives of expensive cars embarassed

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 07, 2017
Ok, I'm officially broke. This article is for me grin but boy my love for wines and travels to natural resorts, I would use my last kobo for these grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 07, 2017
SnakeXenzia:
8 for 8 days fvck! cheesy
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by 4rty(f): 10:26am On Nov 07, 2017
Queenlovely:

U again u no dey tire for al these lies? who r u trying to impress? don't use ur hand attract robbers into ur life that's my my candid advice to u.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by 2shure: 10:31am On Nov 07, 2017
i dont need to hangout.
i got no new friends
i dont need them to.
self made
anti social
aint i

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 07, 2017
The grammatical errors in this write up sef is more than enough to make Bill Gates broke grin
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by jbnm: 10:31am On Nov 07, 2017
nice write up.
Re: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing When You Are Broke (don't Have Money) by KKKWHITE(m): 10:33am On Nov 07, 2017
Your advice is restricted to the guys only because girls of these days do odd jobs to satisfy their wants

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways / His Pastor Prayed For A Miraculous Job For Him But Now He Is Advising Otherwise / A Nairalander Sent Me N25,000 After Reading My Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.