Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,502 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed (10561 Views)

Another Igbo Criminal Arrested In Thailand - Described Simply As Nigerian / Criminal Arrested While Hiding At Girlfriend's Place After Killing Man. Photos / See The Notorious Criminal Arrested In Ijaw After He Brutalised A Man(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by veleta: 11:40am On Nov 07, 2017
I have similar problem, I paid a colleagues brother 2.5M to buy land and do survey plans 2 years ago cos the guy claimed he is into Land Surveying.You won't believe that this guy is claiming he doesn't know where the land is.I paid directly to him both the cost of land and survey.
Wrote a petition to police and they said they would arrest him only for the guy to send a text to me saying he saw the petition I wrote that I can't do anything to him.
What do I do?
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Suplexx: 11:40am On Nov 07, 2017
mavinc4u:
This is why I don't like Nigeria police. They should have given you a paper that you will take to any of his bank to get your money.

The police do not have that kind of power. The best the police can do is to get a warrant from the court to freeze his account if he admitted in his statement that he stole or duped the OP, or if police has evidence the OP transfered money to him. The very very best is that the police charge him to court and try to get him convicted. The prosecution might take up to a year or two.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Suplexx: 11:43am On Nov 07, 2017
Locked:
Hello Nairalanders,

I need serious advice on how to recover my money ASAP.

I was defrauded about 1.5 million by a clearing agent and I reported the case to the police, the police collected all together about 100K from me to trace and track down the criminal who was proving smart and trying to be elusive. Eventually he was caught.

He was asked what he did with the money and to provide the money and he started giving stupid excuses that he has used my money to clear someone else's car and sort out some other problems he had. Can you imagine?

He has been in police detention for 2 days and no family member has come except his brother. No one is talking about how to refund my money, all they are doing is begging.

I have been lamenting to the police to handle the case more seriously so that the criminal would provide the money, but they have been so lenient and very lackadaisical in handling this case.

I am confused right now.

Christmas is coming and my family would need that money to survive.

The criminal must have kept the money somewhere, why not provide it

So Nairalanders, please help me with advice. I was so happy when I heard that he has been arrested. He is in police custody now, how do they recover money in cases like this?

The police are saying that they would be charging him to court and I am afraid that he might get bail. And that's it? my money gone?

No way! please advise.

Mods, please front page

The police have limited powers. The best they can do is to get a court warrant to freeze his account or/and charge him to court for prosecution where he could be convicted and jailed.

Getting a court warrant will require him admitting in his statement that he duped you, or if you have evidence that he duped you.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by markbenny(m): 11:44am On Nov 07, 2017
Locked:
Hello Nairalanders,

I was defrauded about 1.5 million by a clearing agent and I reported the case to the police, the police collected all together about 100K from me to trace and track down the criminal who was proving smart and trying to be elusive. Eventually he was caught.

He was asked what he did with the money and to provide the money and he started giving stupid excuses that he has used my money to clear someone else's car and sort out some other problems he had. Can you imagine?

He has been in police detention for 2 days and no family member has come except his brother. No one is talking about how to refund my money, all they are doing is begging.

I have been lamenting to the police to handle the case more seriously so that the criminal would provide the money, but they have been so lenient and very lackadaisical in handling this case.

I am confused right now.

So Nairalanders, please help me with advice. I was so happy when I heard that he has been arrested. He is in police custody now, how do they recover money in cases like this?

The police are saying that they would be charging him to court and I am afraid that he might get bail. And that's it? my money gone?

No way! please advise.

Mods, please front page

Nigerian Police has a public complaint unit, call them. search for their contact on Google
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Suplexx: 11:46am On Nov 07, 2017
veleta:
I have similar problem, I paid a colleagues brother 2.5M to buy land and do survey plans 2 years ago cos the guy claimed he is into Land Surveying.You won't believe that this guy is claiming he doesn't know where the land is.I paid directly to him both the cost of land and survey.
Wrote a petition to police and they said they would arrest him only for the guy to send a text to me saying he saw the petition I wrote that I can't do anything to him.
What do I do?

You can go to higher police division, area command, state command. But you must have your evidence to prove your case.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by millomaniac: 11:46am On Nov 07, 2017
Slayer2:
If the dude aint got the money. Watchu you gonna do to him? Kill him? or you want police to kill him? And why would they torture him? He has human rights.

Get a lawyer, head to the court and let the jury settle it. Period.

After all we were not there when you were giving him the money. undecided

May your case be like that of the op
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Suplexx: 11:49am On Nov 07, 2017
slydobber2012:
Op look for any of his properties dat worth d money, then sell and recover ur money period. Even if it Means getting hold of his other clients car dat he used ur money in bailing.

OP might land in a bigger trouble if he does this. These 419s have bad boys that they use to deal with people, or he might even arrest the OP. The OP would then be on the defensive.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 07, 2017
veleta:
What do I do?

Find a repo man. The guy will cough out your money straight. Even add interest sef.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Suplexx: 11:53am On Nov 07, 2017
writetopoker:
In as much as it is a civil case and not a criminal offence, it will be very difficult to recoup you fund back. Because the government will only tell him to pay you at his own pace, which can be lengthy.

Secondly, if you do not have any official evidence of payment to him, Bros just follow the guy jejeje dey collect the money at his own pace.

Finally if you have evidence or witness or if he is not denying receiving the money then;

1. make him sign something a sort of IOU
2 The signed agreement should include date of repayment
3. finally the signed document should also include a penalty if payment not completed on the exact date
4. If possible allow him fix the date of payment himself so as to exempt himself from any excuses.

It can be a civil case or a criminal case depending on how the police charge it. Civil case is like forfeiting the money because the fraudster would want to pay back at his pace which could be 5k every month. But criminal case, he will be going to prison if he doesn't settle it out of court with the OP. But evidence has to be there.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Suplexx: 11:58am On Nov 07, 2017
gudvibz:
Personally am very paitent when it come to wicked pple like this let him go but leave d case open in d next 6 to 7months go back to his shop with police and some guys pack any and everything u see with him/on him and even in his house.

The case will turn against the OP and those police who would go for such illegal duty. Police don't have power to recover debt, except if the person involved is Godly.

Police can only involve the court.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by veleta: 12:00pm On Nov 07, 2017
@Donsimo,I can't reply pm.having failure daemon with nairaland pm
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by veleta: 12:01pm On Nov 07, 2017
@Supplex,thanks but if you don't know anyone there it would be difficult
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by sayrahbankz(f): 12:14pm On Nov 07, 2017
InwehAkpevwe:
Do we look like d juriry 2 u?. If a criminal is arrested he should face d law asap. BTW y do u think he is a criminal?

lol juriry ko injury ni grin
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Slayer2: 12:19pm On Nov 07, 2017
millomaniac:

May your case be like that of the op

Amen grin
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by segbanky(m): 12:19pm On Nov 07, 2017
Allow the police to charge him to court because the rules have change unlike in the past where after remanding him in prison the money involved is forfeited but this days after remanding or sentencing him in prison, he still have to provids the money because the magistrate cannot just grant him bail without proper arrangement on d table on how d money is to be paid and even have to provide substancial amount before bail will be granted to him besides the magistrate will not just allow anyhow surety but a reliable one that will be held responsible if he(the criminal)does not show up in court during the next adjournment date.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Suplexx: 12:27pm On Nov 07, 2017
veleta:
@Supplex,thanks but if you don't know anyone there it would be difficult

You don't need to know anyone in state command.

If you attend a Church or a Mosque, you could see if there is a high police officer in your place of worship to approach him.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by mavinc4u(f): 12:28pm On Nov 07, 2017
Suplexx:

The police do not have that kind of power. The best the police can do is to get a warrant from the court to freeze his account if he admitted in his statement that he stole or duped the OP, or if police has evidence the OP transfered money to him. The very very best is that the police charge him to court and try to get him convicted. The prosecution might take up to a year or two.

They have, I have forgotten what a banker once called that paper, he said the paper will authorize them to withdraw the money from the person's account if the guy had made a transfer or paid in with a teller. This is why it is good to pay people you don't trust with card so you can use charge back when they start messing up.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by fowlyansh181(m): 12:32pm On Nov 07, 2017
Get a lawyer and sue him to court
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 07, 2017
jaxxy:

Do u know any top police officer or soldier let them step in and takeover the case they will either lock the guy till he pays every cent or after he pays half he will be released to look for how to pay the remaining. Also they shud check all his accounts with d banks and if he has such money there he has to pay up.

The problem is if he actually doesn't hv any money at all now then sadly theres nothing u can do than wait for him to hv it or sm1 pays it for him. If he has properties valued at the Amount owed u can also sieze them till he pays.

How long was did it take from wen u paid him till he was caught?
3 months
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Suplexx: 12:49pm On Nov 07, 2017
mavinc4u:

They have, I have forgotten what a banker once called that paper, he said the paper will authorize them to withdraw the money from the person's account if the guy had made a transfer or paid in with a teller. This is why it is good to pay people you don't trust with card so you can use charge back when they start messing up.

You cannot just withdraw money from people’s accounts like that without a court warrant. Otherwise, people could claim anything and go withdraw money they used in purchasing products after the products have been delivered.

Money can be reversed if wrongly credited, but there must be proof that the money is not in dispute, otherwise the account owner might sue the bank.

Money can also be reversed if one has fallen into BVM fraudsters or online scammers

I also want to believe the police paper you are talking about comes with a court warrant.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by cyberguy72(m): 12:49pm On Nov 07, 2017
donsimo:

Find a repo man. The guy will cough out your money straight. Even add interest sef.
how can a repo be reached?
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 07, 2017
donsimo:

Op contact me, I know a few guys who can get you back your money, they are sort of like repo men.

Am sorry to say but court cases are shit. The lawyers will just delay so that they will make money off you. The police don't care they see worse cases everyday. This isn't the Guy's first time on jail, he knows nothing will happen.

If you want your money back get a repo man.
Please WhatsApp me using the number on my sig.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by peacemara54(m): 1:03pm On Nov 07, 2017
check my signature
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Jethrolite(m): 1:04pm On Nov 07, 2017
Nwodosis:
The best option is to trick him into accepting to pay the money in written form with a good surety. You can go after the surety when he defaults, going to court is to his advantage. Mind you Police is already on his side as he's dropping more than you. The next thing now, our police will be asking you 'what do you we do now' as if you knew what do and invited them.
Very true.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by tusinsola(f): 1:21pm On Nov 07, 2017
Aside from the police.You can file a civil suit at the Magistrate Court in your jurisdiction,with the help of a lawyer,with the matter in court your money will come out from the defendants with immediate alacrity. Police will be posting you and as they are collecting one money or another from you that is how they will be collecting money from the defendants.All the best. If your location is Ibadan you can contact me.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Charly68: 2:22pm On Nov 07, 2017
Let him stay behind the bar with the police until his head is correct ..that is their antics..very hardened .

1 Like

Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by aminahbest(f): 2:55pm On Nov 07, 2017
Slayer2:
If the dude aint got the money. Watchu you gonna do to him? Kill him? or you want police to kill him? And why would they torture him? He has human rights.

you sound cruel
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by chronique(m): 3:17pm On Nov 07, 2017
i've been in your shoes and i can tell how frustrating it is. the dpo then,told me something. he said criminals understand the law,and they take advantage of the loopholes. in my case,after the dude met the dpo,they started asking if i could provide flight tickets and hotel accommodation and stipends for interpol to travel to the U.S to investigate the case. i was broken and devastated as the cost of procuring all that,was more than the amount i was duped of. i really don't know what to advice you but if i ever fall into such a situation again,i'd just hire people to condemn a part of the person's body and make him useless for life. get people to cripple him and leave him with a spinal cord injury,condemn his two legs and make sure he never walks again,or take out his eyeballs and turn him into a blind bat for life. that is the best way to handle criminals in naija. the police would never help you get justice.

1 Like

Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by jiorhemen(m): 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2017
Locked:
Hello Nairalanders,

I am confused right now.

No way! please advise.

Mods, please front page

Transfer the case to SARS office Abuja. I can confirm to you that as soon as he gets there, he will bring out the money. SARS Abuja knows how to handle such people perfectly and cause them to vomit the money swallowed.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by IamSimi(m): 5:51pm On Nov 07, 2017
Locked:
Hello Nairalanders,

I am confused right now.

No way! please advise.

Mods, please front page
Take The Case To SARS and the rest is history...
thank me later ✌
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Housing(m): 7:29pm On Nov 07, 2017
If it fraud it is better you report to the EFCC to have good recovery of your money. As it is police now there are two options, if you have not being dealing with them in the past, settle for percentage they will scare life out of him to recover the money once they know they have a certain percentage. Else agree that the matter be taken to court and get a lawyer that will be holding brief so that government officials don't spoil your case.
Re: Criminal Arrested, Refuses To Pay - Advice Needed by Aadeyinka(m): 8:00pm On Nov 07, 2017
Slayer2:

must you be there when transaction of money going on ? the guy need advice to recover his money ,need not to put salt to injury if u got
no advice, must you talk ?
Guy tell police to help you and let him sign MOU for u, and details how to off set the debit he defrauded and must have 2 good surety capable to offset if failed ,everything in written, police know what to do if they really want to as they are very intelligence , promised them 20% as appreciation if money recovered , that is Nigeria today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Destroy Hard Drugs Worth Over N400m In Lagos / 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train / EFCC Hands Over Recovered ₦67.5 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.