|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,420,315 members, 5,428,209 topics. Date: Monday, 17 February 2020 at 09:09 PM
|Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by dramaticspeak(m): 7:11am On Nov 07, 2017|
The norm these days is for people to see a vacancy posted by a job board or nairaland vacancy section and you just rush to apply. Yet no calls are coming in and you keep applying. No one has ever bothered to sit down and ask why. You can’t expect to be doing the same thing over and again and get a different result. Why not try a different approach. For the next 30 days I will help you all and show you a different way to get a job. I will also post exclusive vacancies here. Please do me the favour of sharing your testimony here.
Let’s start with your cv
Is your CV Professional enough to catch attention of the recruiter within THIRTY seconds? A CV is a document which represents your life’s story in a short yet concise form. Yet, there is no formal training given to most of us to prepare a CV that makes an impact, markets you and helps you get shortlisted in the opportunities that you deserve.
I will show you the Dos and Donts of cv writing
1.Key in all your ideas as per the format and then delete information which you find redundant. Don’t focus on length of CV at the first time when you are building the same.
2. Focus on formatting, spelling and grammar is of utmost importance. An improper CV gives an impression that the candidate is unsuitable for even being shortlisted.
3. CVs should be tailored to the description of the Job that you are applying for. With the advent of AI in selection of CVs that get shortlisted for interview, it is important to have key skills (found by reading and understanding the job description) strategically placed in the CV so that the same is shortlisted for interview.
4. The document name for CV should be “First name Last name – Profession”
5. CV should always be shared to employers in pdf format as it reduces the formatting errors that might creep in due to differences in Software versions used to open and read the CV.
6. Always have 2 references ready for your candidature from either professors at college, peers at work and people who are placed in a good career path and know you well.
7. Whatever you write on your CV should be supported with a story which can be elaborated in the interview. Employers use your CV as a basis for asking questions during interview, if you fumble on answering any question related to the information provided in your CV then you come across as a person who has mentioned incorrect information and disqualifies you from rest of the interview process.
8. Professional Skills that you have developed over the years should be highlighted on the CV.
9. Use “Action words” while documenting your work experience and extracurricular activities.
10. Mention the respective year for all Achievements/Extra Curricular Activities.
11. Mention an alternative contact number in your CV.
12. Mention your LinkedIn profile via a custom link/QR Code.
1. Write Curriculum Vitae as a heading in your document. It wastes valuable space and gives a bad impression.
2. Send CVs which have a lot of empty space. A 2 Page CV which has only 1.5 pages filled with information and rest of the page left blank demonstrates that the candidate ran out of information to put on his CV. Either keying in more information to make it 2 pages long or deleting redundant information to make it reduce to 1 complete page is advised.
3. Mention everything on the CV as you will not be able to come up with new content to elaborate during the interview.
4. Mention Full Correspondence/Permanent Address as the same is wastage of valuable space and might lead to security concerns.
5. Mention Strengths and Weaknesses in your CV.
6. Use Word Art/Fancy Fonts anywhere in your CV.
7. Mention a lot of achievements in your CV. It will make you sound egoistic and proud.
8. Hurry in making a CV as you will make an improper one.
Send your cvs to email@example.com for a free review. If it’s bad they will ask for a token to edit or write a new one for you.
Absorb this we would continue tomorrow…………………………………..
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by Soms89: 7:49am On Nov 07, 2017|
dramaticspeak:my fellow Nigerian you do not require a token to assist the 20% unemployed Nigerians restructure their resume it should be an act of kindness of not I can deduce it's a business venture for vulnerable and desperate
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by dramaticspeak(m): 7:53am On Nov 07, 2017|
Soms89:it is not compulsory they send it there but that's where i did mine. Shalom!
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by Anoti1(m): 9:48am On Nov 07, 2017|
[/b]"Don't mention a lot of achievements in your CV. It will make you sound egoistic and proud."[b]
Talking from personal experience, it does more harm than good. It actually pissed off some members of the panel that they had to google related questions there and then to ask just to disgrace me.
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by chrisbaxtian(m): 10:06am On Nov 07, 2017|
lol! Nigerian recruiters and their wahala
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by generalbush(m): 12:23pm On Nov 07, 2017|
Please don't deceive people!!
I brag alot on my CV, and I attend interviews for the fun of attending, just to update my followers on my blog about techniques!
So please verify before posting.
Click here to see the things that makes you look unqualified for a job
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by Anoti1(m): 3:37pm On Nov 07, 2017|
Verify from who exactly?
This is a first hand information that I just dished out.
Take it or leave it, some people in corporate organizations are frustrated and angry for reasons best known to them. An applicant is the perfect outlet to channel all dat anger.
I repeat, don't write more than what is actually necessary on your CV to avoid unnecessary scrutiny. #Fact.
PS: Please don't make false and misleading statements just because you want to generate traffic for your blog. Its so not cool.
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by generalbush(m): 7:10pm On Nov 07, 2017|
Hey Buddy, I am not Traffic oriented. I don't write for traffic, I write to inspire. I have spoken with key players in the recruitment industry, I have attended several conferences, I have interviewed people and also gone for countless interviews just last month alone - all for the fun.
I am not scared to ask any hiring manager what caught his/her interest in my resume. You know why? because I attended the interview to see what to write about.
The highest "bragger" who can prove his skills get the job!
It is as simple as ABC. I have seen it work, I have done it, and I will keep doing it.
Once again, don't deceive people!!
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by dramaticspeak(m): 7:01am On Nov 08, 2017|
generalbush:Please do not mislead anyone here I beg you. Go and open your own thread and mislead people.
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by dramaticspeak(m): 7:03am On Nov 08, 2017|
Today we will talk about Cover letter
I will drop a sample cover letter that you all can always edit to your taste to suit any company you are applying to. Be sure to research on the company you are applying to. Find out what they do, the departments they have and where you can fit in based on your skill sets or the problem you can solve. Outline it in the cover letter. Just be concise. Find out the address of the company through the company website. If it’s an unsolicited application you address it to the Managing Director but if it is for an advertised position, you address it to the Human Resource Manager. I always advise people to sign their cover letters. It adds to your credibility.
1, golu close,
18th July, 2017.
44/48, Channels TV Avenue,
Attention: Managing Director (Channels Tv)
I wish to apply to work in Channels television. I am a young man of 23years but have gained a lot from doing business on the street. With the skills acquired I have set it as a goal to work and add value to an organization precisely a tech company while starting out and pursuing my career goals. I have always wanted to work in either microsoft or google and this has been my child hood dream as I make use of the products of these two organisations. I enjoy anything related to sales and marketing.
Adept at driving continual improvement in sales production, team training and evaluation, customer relations, daily front-end and back-end operations, workplace safety, reporting systems and overall process efficiency. I am open to training so that I can know exactly what the expectations are and be able to apply myself to any job I am given.
This is for your kind attention.
|Re: Are You Not Tired Of Just Applying Without Getting A Call For An Interview by generalbush(m): 8:13am On Nov 08, 2017|
Now I get you are the Op. Enjoy your thread. Sorry for obstructing bro. My Bad.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151