Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Are You An Alumnus, Alumni, Alumnae, Or Alumna? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are You An Alumnus, Alumni, Alumnae, Or Alumna? (690 Views)

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? / How Does Your Alma Mater Leverage You As An Alumnus? / FUTA Loss An Alumnus To Typhoid Fever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are You An Alumnus, Alumni, Alumnae, Or Alumna? by PenPrince07: 4:20pm On Nov 07, 2017
Are you an “Alumnus”, “Alumni”, “Alumnae”, or “Alumna”?

Trust me, back then in High school, these were troubling words to me. Not that I’d not know what they meant ooo.

I always confuse one for the other. Dey be like when Nigeria dey play China, Japan or Korea for football—you no dey know who be who!

However, if you’re facing similar challenge hang around here and kill it off.

ALUMNUS: An alumnus is a former male student/graduate of a school, college or institute.

e.g. George is an alumnus of UNIBEN.

ALUMNI: In nonstandard use, it means a group of graduates (male/female) from a school, college or institute.
It’s also the plural form of alumnus (male).

e.g. I didn’t attend the last “Alumni Conference” due to technical issues!; Paul and Innocent are both alumni of Mass Communication, UNIBEN.

ALUMNA: This is used in reference to a former female student/graduate of a school or institute.

e.g. Miracle is a CASOR UNIBEN alumna.
ALUMNAE: It is the plural of “ALUMNA.”

e.g. Maryjane and Constance are UNIBEN alumnae.

With this, I hope the confusion on the right usage of these words would’ve melted like wax under the fiery-burning sun?

http://theflowingink.com/how-to-use-alumnus-alumni-alumnae-or-alumna/

1 Like

Re: Are You An Alumnus, Alumni, Alumnae, Or Alumna? by CallmeAbbey: 7:34pm On Nov 07, 2017
What is all these "aluminium" abi wetin you call am sef? "School mate" simple!

(1) (Reply)

Photos:college Of Education Akamkpa Old School Party 2017 / Mathematical Gurus Please Help!!! / Help Me! Advice Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.