Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books (31232 Views)

What Are Your Five (5) Best Motivational Books From Nigerian Authors? / What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol / How Does One Become A Member Of The Association Of Nigerian Authors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Orikinla(m): 11:29am On Feb 22, 2007
The popular Nigerian authors on Amazon from their Amazon Rankings for their most recent books from the top to the bottom are in the following order:

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Half of a Yellow Sun-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #2,074
Purple Hibiscus: A Novel-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #8,554

Chris Abani                          
The Virgin of Flames-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #14,068
Graceland-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #33,191

Wole Soyinka                       
You Must Set Forth at Dawn-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #55,041

Helon Habila
Measuring Time-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #71,482
Waiting for An Angel-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #491,372

Uzodinma Iweala
Beasts of No Nation-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #89,295

Helen Oyeyemi
The Icarus Girl -Amazon.com Sales Rank: #330,971

Diana Evans
26a-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #395,981

Sefi Atta
Everything Good Will Come-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,678,457

Orikinla Osinachi
Scarlet Tears of London-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,801,133   

N.B:
Please, you can add to the list in your replies.
Chris Abani's The Virgin of Flames (Paperback) was released on my birthday January 30, 2007.
Helon Habila's Measuring Times has just been released and selling fast.

There are other Nigerian authors on Amazon Books, post on them as soon as you note them.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Ndipe(m): 10:49am On Feb 26, 2007
Things Fall Apart, published by Achebe is one of Africa's leading novels on Amazon.com. Check it out.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Orikinla(m): 11:20pm On Feb 26, 2007
Ndipe,
I respect you a lot.
Don't tell me that you did not read before posting your reply.

I said most recent books by Nigerian authors.

My mother was only 19 when Achebe wrote Things Fall Apart.

1 Like

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Shagari2(m): 11:40pm On Feb 26, 2007
@ Orikinla

The last person on ur list, is it you? just curious wink
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Orikinla(m): 11:58pm On Feb 26, 2007
Shagari2:

@ Orikinla

The last person on your list, is it you? just curious wink

My humble self at large.
The Nigerian Scarlet Pimpernel. wink
But only foreigners are buying my book as at present.

The Amazon sales rank goes up and down.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Ndipe(m): 11:48am On Feb 27, 2007
Abeg, no vex@Orikinla, I had overlooked what you had written earlier.

how's the sales of your book coming on? I wish you the best.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Orikinla(m): 10:04am On Feb 28, 2007
Ndipe,
Achebe as at present is the overall best selling Nigerian author on Amazon.
The latest edition of Things Fall Apart is selling more than other Nigerian novels.

On my Scarlet Tears of London, it is total war by peace or by force to make it an international best seller and all my strategies online are working in my favour.
Most people on Nairaland don't even know the Western powers are also manipulating the Internet to dominate us and I am not going to fold my arms.

They hype their writers above our writers, except you are under their control.
I am my own promoter, so I have to work harder.
I have to go on top of the roof to shout.

There are more gifted Nigerian writers in Nigeria than the ones they are celebrating outside.
And some have died unknown and unsung and I must survive and succeed to keep their memories alive.

2 Likes

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Ndipe(m): 10:52am On Feb 28, 2007
Best wishes.

Achebe has surely reaped millions from his classic, "Things Fall Apart". I wont be mistaken if that novel is perhaps the bestselling African novel. Adichie's novels have gained a significant momentum, over all other new Nigerian authors. I don't know about Abani, but his latest novel was a turn off for me. Gosh, having the bosom of a woman on the covers? What was he thinking?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Orikinla(m): 1:28pm On Feb 28, 2007
I have only read Abani's short stories and some poems.
I thought Graceland[b][/b] was patronizing, because that title and name dropping of Elvis Presley drew the attention of the Western audience. And the cover was quite commercial.

I would prefer we celebrate our own musical icons like Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Bobby Benson.

I have already written the novels covering the 1980s and 90s of Lagos and I hope to get them well published soon. I have covered Maroko before it was demolished. I have also covered the 1004 flats during the Second Republic. And my notes have covered 1999 to 2004.

The problem confronting Nigerian writers is the hypocrisy of the big publishers and the establishment.
If you have not won the celebrated international prizes like the Orange, Commonwealth, Caine and the other Western fashioned literary prizes, they won't be willing to publish you.
So, if Helon Habila did not win the Caine Prize, the world wouldn't have known of his genius?

There are thousands of Helon Habilas in Nigeria with so many unpublished manuscripts gathering cobwebs in the offices of Longman, Evans and other publishers in Nigeria.
And most of the local writers who won the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) prizes were either self-published or yet to be published.
I signed my first publsihing contract with Fourth Dimension in 1987. But the books have not been published till date. And it another publisher that published one of my books that same year.

A popular leading publisher in Nigeria cheats many of the authors.
They lure you to submit your unpublished typescripts and then ask you to contribute 25% of the cost of publication, but the fact is, the 25% from the author is enough to produce the book. So, the conned author actually paid for the publication of his or her book and the publishing company pays even less than 25% royalty to the ignorant author and gets away with it.

I encourage struggling but gifted Nigerian writers to come online and hone their craft while awaiting publication.

I believe the best way to write about Nigeria is to experience the living conditions in Nigeria and not from holidays in GRAs as the Nigerian "Aje Butter" novelists in America and the UK are doing.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Shagari2(m): 8:31am On Mar 01, 2007
Orikinla:

My humble self at large.
The Nigerian Scarlet Pimpernel. wink
But only foreigners are buying my book as at present.
The Amazon sales rank goes up and down.

Hmmn, interesting, welldone, must try and get a copy.
So where is The Jazzhole, do they have readings everyday or specific days only, and even more important, do they serve palmwine? cheesy
Must visit whenever I'm around. smiley
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Orikinla(m): 3:09pm On Mar 01, 2007
Thanks.

Jazz Hole rocks with weekend readings and if you want palmwine, you can get surplus from across the Awolowo Road near the Polo Club.

Olakunle Tejuosho is doiing great things for literature to promote our literary culture and he is the only Nigerian doing so both in Nigeria and the UK.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by omoovie(f): 10:25pm On Apr 11, 2008
I am stockpiling my bookcases with novels by Nigerian authors at home and abroad at present. As money present itself I go buy. I am so proud of what we are doing so far. There is SUCH a wealth of literary genius coming from home. Me I wan join ranks but I'm soooo not disciplined enough to write a novel and my forte is music moreso than prose anyway. I will help spread the word though.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by nanaboi(m): 7:16pm On May 09, 2008
@ omoovie
I got similar problems to yours. Music is messing up my concentration and discipline. Loads of unfinished lines waiting 2 connect and cohere.
Well, I'll try some more
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by omoovie(f): 5:20am On May 10, 2008
@ Nanaboi

Really? You too? Which type of music you dey do? I don stockpile over 400 songs wey I write since I was 13. I need to sing otherwise my head will explode.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Shaunscot(m): 10:16pm On May 11, 2008
Sorry to bust your bubble Orikinla but I think your thread is in the wrong section.
No disrespect mate!!!
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by nanaboi(m): 7:39pm On May 14, 2008
@ omoovie,
i listen 2 a wide variety. started with the classicals tho but now, i'm mostly about the the r&b, the hip hop (not minding the geogrphical dispostion), the jazz, the , do i really need 2 keep enumerating?

so, wat kind of songs do u write? where are u? - O, by d way, i'm in Yola, Adamawa state, now , serving.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by omoovie(f): 10:02pm On May 20, 2008
---eons later---

I'm in Jando the land of kolo peeps, opportunity and pitfalls! I do rock, reggae, jazz, soul, rnb, gbedu, pop and gospel. I'm working on my album this year.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by jumokefoye: 11:02am On Dec 29, 2009
Growing Pains ,  the complete story by Ebi Akpeti, a Nigerian living in Lagos is also the latest addition on Amazon. I bought it online and the book is good. cool
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Prettychick89: 5:53pm On Mar 04, 2010
there is a new nigerian romance author on Amazon.com, her Name is MYNE WHITMAN, her story is set in lagos,Nigeria,
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Polando: 12:11am On Mar 13, 2010
"In My Dreams It Was Simpler" a new Nigerian Contemporary Novel. Current Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: #94,334 in Books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1445254204
wink
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by muhsin(m): 12:56pm On Mar 13, 2010
Orikinla:

Diana Evans
26a-Amazon.com Sales Rank: #395,981

Why is this writer considered a Nigerian?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Polando: 10:19pm On Mar 21, 2010
muhsin:

Why is this writer considered a Nigerian?

Perhaps because she is half Nigerian, and the book features Nigerian characters?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by asamuel: 1:45pm On Apr 29, 2010
www.kalahari.com.ng

the place for any books, DVDs, cameras, laptops, toys, games, e-vouchers, electronics assessories, etc

visit www.kalahari.com, buy and win N1000 free voucher today.

www.kalahari.com.ng
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by MyneWhite1(f): 4:41pm On Apr 29, 2010
A heart to Mend by Myne Whitman is top 50 in west African Novels.

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Kilode1: 5:53am On Mar 12, 2011
Orikinla:

I have only read Abani's short stories and some poems.
I thought Graceland[b][/b] was patronizing, because that title and name dropping of Elvis Presley drew the attention of the Western audience. And the cover was quite commercial.

I would prefer we celebrate our own musical icons like Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Bobby Benson.

I have already written the novels covering the 1980s and 90s of Lagos and I hope to get them well published soon. I have covered Maroko before it was demolished. I have also covered the 1004 flats during the Second Republic. And my notes have covered 1999 to 2004.

The problem confronting Nigerian writers is the hypocrisy of the big publishers and the establishment.
If you have not won the celebrated international prizes like the Orange, Commonwealth, Caine and the other Western fashioned literary prizes, they won't be willing to publish you.
So, if Helon Habila did not win the Caine Prize, the world wouldn't have known of his genius?

There are thousands of Helon Habilas in Nigeria with so many unpublished manuscripts gathering cobwebs in the offices of Longman, Evans and other publishers in Nigeria.
And most of the local writers who won the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) prizes were either self-published or yet to be published.
I signed my first publsihing contract with Fourth Dimension in 1987. But the books have not been published till date. And it another publisher that published one of my books that same year.

A popular leading publisher in Nigeria cheats many of the authors.
They lure you to submit your unpublished typescripts and then ask you to contribute 25% of the cost of publication, but the fact is, the 25% from the author is enough to produce the book. So, the conned author actually paid for the publication of his or her book and the publishing company pays even less than 25% royalty to the ignorant author and gets away with it.

I encourage struggling but gifted Nigerian writers to come online and hone their craft while awaiting publication.

I believe the best way to write about Nigeria is to experience the living conditions in Nigeria and not from holidays in GRAs as the Nigerian "Aje Butter" novelists in America and the UK are doing.

Well said!

I know it's kinda old, but good thread.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by nunat: 8:30pm On May 28, 2011
Another nigerian author in Amason Books:
Author - Nathaniel Nwadiogbu
Name of the book - The Death of Justice
Date of release - September 2010
ISBN - 978-1-4520-0484-6

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by angelempy(f): 1:42am On Jun 04, 2011
Wow, am happy that Nigerian Writers are really uping their game. I will really like to get some nigerian books, u know. But it seems quite hard getting them, especially if u dont knw what authors to check for on amazon.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Orikinla(m): 12:55pm On Jun 07, 2011
ABC of True Love is a book for lovers by Christian Onyebuchi Nwankpa now selling fast on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/146106841X
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by Bawss1(m): 1:20pm On Jun 07, 2011
Na here una wan dey advertise abi? grin
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by MariAmara(f): 8:30am On Jun 10, 2011
I am an writer and I've been trying to get my novels published but haven't been successful. Anybody know any good publishing house that accept submissions from Nigerian writers(and actually publish them)?
I don't have all that money to self-publish.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books by daprofo: 12:44pm On Jun 14, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

Horror In Two Sentences.. / Chimamanda Adichie Delivers Harvard Class Speech: Becomes The First African / Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.