Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United (1642 Views)

Howard Webb To Officiate Manchester Derby / Howard Webb To Officiate Manchester United Vs Chelsea On Sunday. / Howard Webb To Referee Manchester United’s Final Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by ObamaUS: 5:05pm On Mar 21, 2010
I guess the decision of WEBB to award the penalty was a dodgy one, Hmm, It's like all these referees are on UNITED Payroll
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by Kgdavid(m): 10:38pm On Mar 21, 2010
What was dodgy about it? did mascherano hold his arm or not?
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 22, 2010
@poster,
You don't deserve to be using Obama's name,judging from your senseless post.
Go and do something constructive with your life.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by tayoccu(m): 10:15am On Mar 22, 2010
ObamaUS:

I guess the decision of WEBB to award the penalty was a dodgy one, Hmm,[s] It's like all these referees are on UNITED Payroll[/s]

maybe not on their payroll, but mr webb did officiate like he had something to lose if united did not win.

Kgdavid:

What was dodgy about it? did mascherano hold his arm or not?

yes mascherano did hold valencia, but that is not the right question.
the real question should be did mascherano foul valencia in the box?
the answer is NO!

Eastbay:

@poster,
You don't deserve to be using Obama's name,judging from your senseless post.
Go and do something constructive with your life.

Why do you and other united fans get touchy when someone points out the obvious?
the decision was dodgy.
the OP hasn't said anything to warrant the verbal attack you launched. angry
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 22, 2010
@tayoccu,
Carling Cup first leg semi final vs City.
Ref awards a penalty to City for pulling that started on from outside.Then,did you say it wasn't a penalty?
Now that it has favoured United,folks like you wanna dispute it.
Replays show Mascherano still had his hands on Valencia as he entered the box.I watched half-time analysis on Supersports,and I agree it was a penalty.
Why don't you ask why Mascherano was daft enough to keep holding on despite being clearly beaten.
The OP and peole like you who think the ref must be bought for United to win are what I can't stand.Especially when all you have is biased assumptions.
United were at the recieving end of extreme physicality from Liverpool,yet,none of you biased haters saw that.
Patrice Evra's wrist was stamped on by Kuyt,ref didn't even blow for a foul,yet you want to say Webb works for United.
Be objective.If Liverpool put in a shift to deserve anything,I would understand,but truth is,they didn't help themselves by any means.A side with just two shots on target all game long shouldn't deserve any sympathy/conspiracy theories.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by Kgdavid(m): 3:06pm On Mar 22, 2010
don't mind them. that was both a penalty and should ave been a red card for mascherano! he held on to valencia even as valencia entere the box, stopping a clear goal scoring chance, a crime punishable by the awarding of a red card. educate yourselveson the laws of the game here http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

to see a pic of the action look here
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65009848
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by tayoccu(m): 3:56pm On Mar 23, 2010
@eastbay
Go check the matchday thread,I said the blue scum penalty wasn't worth it.
I always say things the ways they are,the red scum penalty wasn't worth it,fletcher should have been sent off for kicking out.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by Nobody: 5:02pm On Mar 23, 2010
tayoccu:

@eastbay
I always say things the ways they are,the red scum penalty wasn't worth it,fletcher should have been sent off for kicking out.
Really?You expect me to believe you actually meant that City didn't deserve to be awarded that penalty?
But City scored from it and you rejoiced.Why now do you cry foul?Because United scored off it?
If Fletcher shoulda been sent-off,what about Torres?And why the sudden attack on Fletcher?Did you see Kuyt's tackle that was every bit as malicious as it looked?
Didn't Torres deserved to be booked for dissent/gamesmanship at the penalty spot,which woulda meant he woulda been sent off?
Look at the game properly and see that Liverpool were more aggressive,yet Webb allowed things to slide by and large.
Liverpool shoulda had more yellows than they copped that day:but you don't think so.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by tayoccu(m): 5:34pm On Mar 23, 2010
Eastbay:

Really?You expect me to believe you actually meant that City didn't deserve to be awarded that penalty?
But City scored from it and you rejoiced.Why now do you cry foul?Because United scored off it?
If Fletcher shoulda been sent-off,what about Torres?And why the sudden attack on Fletcher?Did you see Kuyt's tackle that was every bit as malicious as it looked?
Didn't Torres deserved to be booked for dissent/gamesmanship at the penalty spot,which woulda meant he woulda been sent off?
Look at the game properly and see that Liverpool were more aggressive,yet Webb allowed things to slide by and large.
Liverpool shoulda had more yellows than they copped that day:but you don't think so.

this might sound strange,I wanted city to win, i was behind them till before the penalty was given,but immediately the penalty was given,I withdrew my support, I wanted the red scum to beat the blue scum.
bottom line I hate refs messing up lovely matches.

fletcher's case was one of retaliation, which any ref with working brain cells woulda sent him off for.
for crying out loud becks got sent off for less @ the '98 world cup.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by MrTA(m): 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2010
tayoccu:

@eastbay

Please cry more, Im enjoying your tears.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by Kgdavid(m): 7:38pm On Mar 23, 2010
^spot on. can u imagine he is quoting ancient history as his example? 98 for crying out loud!! mascherano and torres should both have been sent off
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by bgees(m): 9:13pm On Mar 23, 2010
It is true that Mascherano fouled Valencia, and he was punished for it. But was it really a penalty? NO!! was it inside the box? NO!!

Valencia was fouled but Mascherano really wanted the ball so I dont think he deserved a red card. In my opinion, Valencia tried to prolong the 'struggle' with Mascherano till he got inside the box. and he was successful.

I'm not accusing Man utd of getting favours from referrees but these match officials need to smarten up. they need re-training.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by Nobody: 7:59am On Mar 24, 2010
@tayoccu,
I don't want us to go into details of how you felt at the CC semi final.
If it was given against United,regardless of how you feel about the decision,you shouldn't kick against it when it goes in United's favour.
Still replays show Mascherano had his arm on Valencia when Valencia got into the box.That's all I need to know.
You mention Beckham's sending off over a decade ago.How many times has that happened since?
Guy,even FIFA knows how stupid that retaliation rule is.Refs don't even bother to follow that France 98 precedent,otherwise,it happens by and large in every league game.By definition,retaliation doesn't have to be physical.It could be verbal too.Why does ther have to be a separation of physical and verbal retaliation if fouled players mouth off at the foulers?Shouldn't anyone who shouts at someone who fouls him be sent off for verbal retaliation,which happens like 20 times in every game?
bgees:

Valencia was fouled but Mascherano really wanted the ball so I dont think he deserved a red card. In my opinion, Valencia tried to prolong the 'struggle' with Mascherano till he got inside the box. and he was successful.
Mayn,I don't think that's the point.Besides,I don't think that is a valid argument.FFS,Valencia was ahead of Masch through the incident.How could he be prolonging the tussle?That's ridiculous.
He deserved a red card because he took away a goal-scoring opportunity.Ask yourself why Valencia,who by and large is an honest player,would want to go down after being clean through on goal.Maybe that is a perspective you should view that incident from.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by tayoccu(m): 9:19am On Mar 24, 2010
Mr_TA:

Please cry more, Im enjoying your tears.

you just had to open your mouth for opening sake sha?

Kgdavid:

^spot on. can u imagine he is quoting ancient history as his example? 98 for crying out loud!! mascherano and torres should both have been sent off

I quoted an incident I know y'all would remember *except you were too little to have seen the match* grin.
Re: Man Utd Vs Liverpool: Did Howard Webb Favour United by adebayo201: 11:24am On Mar 25, 2010
tayoccu:

you just had to open your mouth for opening sake sha?

I quoted an incident I know y'all would remember *except you were too little to have seen the match* grin.

kiss kiss kiss cry cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal Vs Sunderland [0 - 0] On Saturday, 5th March 2011 / England Vs Italy ( International Friendly Match) / Zizou Wins The Golden Ball

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.