Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ? (6723 Views)

OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation / Only UNILAG Has Full Accreditation For Law In Nigeria / Female Underwear Found In Unilag Library For Law Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

? by EricSmallz(m): 11:42am On Nov 11, 2017
I
Re: ? by darkenkach(m): 11:57am On Nov 11, 2017
I doubt if you will be able to make close to that amount in 5years after law school.

5 Likes

Re: ? by EricSmallz(m): 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2017
darkenkach:
I doubt if you will be able to make close to that amount in 5years after law school.
that's thousand not trillions bro

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ? by darkenkach(m): 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2017
EricSmallz:
that's thousand not trillions bro

I know.

2 Likes

Re: ? by uboma(m): 12:40pm On Nov 11, 2017
darkenkach:

Do not discourage him.

I have seen some Lawyers who are wealthy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ? by queenfav(f): 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2017
darkenkach:
Hahahahahaha.. I reserve my comments.
Re: ? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 11, 2017
darkenkach:
Exceptions. It either you are connected/super rich or finish with genius rated grades.
Truth is the Job market for Lawyers is overbloated. More supply than demand.

5 Likes

Re: ? by Vivly(f): 2:12pm On Nov 11, 2017
queenfav:
Hahahahahaha.. I reserve my comments.
Please I would really love your input on that quote.
Re: ? by Thebrightest(m): 2:27pm On Nov 11, 2017
darkenkach:
BITTER TRUTH!

1 Like

Re: ? by queenfav(f): 2:34pm On Nov 11, 2017
Vivly:

Please I would really love your input on that quote.
I didn't want to talk o, cos if i start to talk eh! Yea the guy is somewhat right.. I know a married man with a child earning 15k monthly working in a medium sized firm. The appearance fee he was promised never comes regularly.To feed his family is a big issue!Some clients would rather pay your appearance fee with thanks and prayers.
Law will make u rich if you are from a highly connected family where good briefs can fall on your laps, or after many years of blood, sweat and tears. I don't know how to convey all my thoughts o, but finally being a lawyer is not as great as it's cracked up to be. Just last week, a lawyer who is 20 years at the bar, was begging my colleague for 500 naira to eat at Court of appeal canteen. I almost cried because people seeing him outside would assume he is making it big. He has been owing his counsels in Chambers salary of 25k for about two months now.

I have been practicing law since 2014 and trust me, the personal briefs i have gotten hasn't fetched me up to 250k!Not to discourage the op o, but be prepared for life after law school. It's not rosy at all.My first job after service was with N10000 pay. I had to rely on my savings to get by, because that money couldn't even feed me in two weeks.
By all means go to law school, but i beg you in God's name.. Have a skill, business or talent that will feed you.. Law won't give you the big bucks except u land a juicy job or come from a family with connections. So Yes some lawyers are 5 years at the bar, if you take them to the bank. They can't boast of 200k account balance!.
If someone had been honest with me, i would have saved myself the long years of studying law by going for mass communications, then used the One million naira plus i spent in law school on books, feeding, fees, living expenses etc to quietly set up a business. By now i would have had chains of businesses. Anyways, thank God for opening my eyes.
In the law firm i work, all of us have businesss we combine with work to make extra cash. Two of my colleagues sells cars. One is into Digital branding, another does food supply from the North to hotels and restaurants (carrots, irish potatoes green peppers). The profession is over saturated. Only the older lawyers are cashing in big time, most new wigs are left to wallow in poverty. Just best to have a back up plan, so you don't get lured into doing anything dirty for money.
Recently, someone was gisting me about a girl who attended the same university with me. As we speak she does runs to survive, alongside her job of 20k in Warri. She does rich married guys to meet up with her bills.You can imagine a professional trading her body for few crumbs. It is well o, just be smart, that's all. (Do pardon the typos)!

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ? by bemagnify: 3:04pm On Nov 11, 2017
Don't discourage him.... I am also going for the law skul though I am still waiting for my posting... But Op u shud av made an arrangement since.... I wish I can help....

Lawyers make more money than u can imagine depends the city u will practice Sha... Goodluck bro..... Anyway wich campus are u?
Re: ? by uboma(m): 3:24pm On Nov 11, 2017
@ queenfav,

thank you for sharing your story.

Had wanted to read Law when I was a kid but thank God I opted for something else.

1 Like

Re: ? by queenfav(f): 3:40pm On Nov 11, 2017
uboma:
@ queenfav,

Had wanted to read Law when I was a kid but thank God I opted for something else.

You dodged a bullet... Lol

3 Likes

Re: ? by Vivly(f): 3:41pm On Nov 11, 2017
@Queenfav, Thank you.
Plans have been made for me to go back to school for a second degree in law and now your post ... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: ? by queenfav(f): 3:45pm On Nov 11, 2017
Vivly:
@Queenfav, Thank you.
Plans have been made for me to go back to school for a second degree in law and now your post ... cheesy
Sorry dear, just being honest.
Re: ? by Vivly(f): 3:50pm On Nov 11, 2017
queenfav:
Sorry dear, just being honest.
No it's cool.
Re: ? by crackhouse(m): 4:38pm On Nov 11, 2017
Sell ur virginity online

4 Likes

Re: ? by rozay12345: 6:11pm On Nov 11, 2017
I suggest you pend your admission for subsequent years, get a job, save some, if possible invest and go get your law school degree like a boss
Re: ? by skedman(m): 6:25pm On Nov 11, 2017
darkenkach:
haaaaaaaa this is not really motivating at all.please be positive about life.Destiny can never be change the fact that A is poor does not mean that every body that went to law school will be poor.
Re: ? by musicwriter(m): 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2017
Vivly:
@Queenfav, Thank you.

The purpose of education is not so you make money. The purpose of education is to program your mind to be able to go on finding ways to make things better for yourself and for others, if you can. Of course, this's a broad definition. But, this means it doesn't really matter what you study, so you're better off studying what you have passion for and not what would give you money. If it's all about money, then go and learn a trade. But, learning a trade is also education.

6 Likes

Re: ? by Finstar: 9:36pm On Nov 11, 2017
Law was a lucrative course many many years ago, not now.. I won't even advice my enemy to delve into that.. As a kid, I wanted to be a lawyer but along the line, I dodged the bomb. cheesy What's reigning now is business, being your own boss.. That's where you experience financial freedom.

5 Likes

Re: ? by remi1444: 9:58pm On Nov 11, 2017
queenfav:
I didn't want to talk o, cos if i start to talk eh! Yea the guy is somewhat right.. I know a married man with a child earning 15k monthly working in a medium sized firm. The appearance fee he was promised never comes regularly.To feed his family is a big issue!Some clients would rather pay your appearance fee with thanks and prayers.
Law will make u rich if you are from a highly connected family where good briefs can fall on your laps, or after many years of blood, sweat and tears. I don't know how to convey all my thoughts o, but finally being a lawyer is not as great as it's cracked up to be. Just last week, a lawyer who is 20 years at the bar, was begging my colleague for 500 naira to eat at Court of appeal canteen. I almost cried because people seeing him outside would assume he is making it big. He has been owing his counsels in Chambers salary of 25k for about two months now.

I have been practicing law since 2014 and trust me, the personal briefs i have gotten hasn't fetched me up to 250k!Not to discourage the op o, but be prepared for life after law school. It's not rosy at all.My first job after service was with N10000 pay. I had to rely on my savings to get by, because that money couldn't even feed me in two weeks.
By all means go to law school, but i beg you in God's name.. Have a skill, business or talent that will feed you.. Law won't give you the big bucks except u land a juicy job or come from a family with connections. So Yes some lawyers are 5 years at the bar, if you take them to the bank. They can't boast of 200k account balance!.
If someone had been honest with me, i would have saved myself the long years of studying law by going for mass communications, then used the One million naira plus i spent in law school on books, feeding, fees, living expenses etc to quietly set up a business. By now i would have had chains of businesses. Anyways, thank God for opening my eyes.
In the law firm i work, all of us have businesss we combine with work to make extra cash. Two of my colleagues sells cars. One is into Digital branding, another does food supply from the North to hotels and restaurants (carrots, irish potatoes green peppers). The profession is over saturated. Only the older lawyers are cashing in big time, most new wigs are left to wallow in poverty. Just best to have a back up plan, so you don't get lured into doing anything dirty for money.
Recently, someone was gisting me about a girl who attended the same university with me. As we speak she does runs to survive, alongside her job of 20k in Warri. She does rich married guys to meet up with her bills.You can imagine a professional trading her body for few crumbs. It is well o, just be smart, that's all. (Do pardon the typos)!
I am a law fresher, the way you made the profession look makes it seem like no "mr nobody" can make a living from it, even here on nairaland we've got well to do "mr nobodies" like Tolusan, mrmcjay, teespice, eveluv, treash, lawyer etc. The way you generalised how "disastrous" it is to study law could go to the number umpteenth miles to kill the zeal of prospective lawyers in pursuing what they are passionate about.
Am sorry for countering your post, just posting AS IT FLOWS.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ? by remi1444: 10:06pm On Nov 11, 2017
Finstar:
Law was a lucrative course many many years ago, not now.. I won't even advice my enemy to delve into that.. As a kid, I wanted to be a lawyer but along the line, I dodged the bomb. cheesy What's reigning now is business, being your own boss.. That's where you experience financial freedom.
are you saying everyone should become an entrepreneur?
I do not want to believe you are among those pushover that jamb changed their destiny?.
I am a conformist of pursuing passion, around my locality there are tons of Entrepreneurs that their feeding method is from their hands to their mouth, In life Equality is just a theory.
Re: ? by remi1444: 10:07pm On Nov 11, 2017
uboma:
@ queenfav,

hope the Range Rover Velar is among your fleet?.....lolx
Re: ? by dollyjoy(f): 10:13pm On Nov 11, 2017
queenfav:

What kind of post is this now. I think we all should be mindful of the things we seriously post online because we don't know who is reading and digesting them,the fact that it didn't benefit you or those you know doesn't make it bad. Not the way you positioned it to be abeg,it actually gives one an edge just be good at what you do.... You just dampened my spirit tonight. Shuo!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ? by fowosh: 11:11pm On Nov 11, 2017
borrow the money and raise it up
Re: ? by remi1444: 11:39pm On Nov 11, 2017
dollyjoy:
What kind of post is this now. I think we all should be mindful of the things we seriously post online because we don't know who is reading and digesting them,the fact that it didn't benefit you or those you know doesn't make it bad. Not the way you positioned it to be abeg,it actually gives one an edge just be good at what you do.... You just dampened my spirit tonight. Shuo!!!
very unfortunate, i so much respect her, but the post you quoted made me to gradually.......
Re: ? by NeeKlaus: 12:28am On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
very unfortunate, i so much respect her, but the post you quoted made me to gradually.......
Dude, you are a Law fresher? I am almost in my finals and I can tell you plainly that what she said is the bitter truth. It's more beneficial to be realistic.

The Law market right now is over-saturated and extremely bloated. With the high influx of graduate lawyers each year from the Law school, it takes the grace of God (and connections too) to actually practice the course successfully and financially too.

Honestly, I am not so big on law practice. The jumping upandan in court, hoping a juicy brief falls on you. I have other ideas I hope to successfully carry out in the law field after law school and Corporate law would definitely do it for me.

What she typed there is the bitter truth; I have heard that tale severally and even from some of my lecturers.

16 Likes

Re: ? by bemagnify: 5:57am On Nov 12, 2017
NeeKlaus:

Dude, you are a Law fresher? I am almost in my finals and I can tell you plainly that what she said it's the bitter truth. It's more beneficial to be realistic.

The Law market right now is over-saturated and extremely bloated. With the high influx of graduate lawyers each year from the Law school, it takes the grace of God (and connections too) to actually practice the course successfully and financially too.

Honestly, I am not so big on law practice. The jumping upandan in court, hoping a juicy brief falls on you. I have other ideas I hope to successfully carry out in the law field after law school and Corporate law would definitely do it for me.

What she typed there is the bitter truth; I have heard that tale severally and even from some of my lecturers.

Since u av been told d truth wot is the essence of u going to study law?
Re: ? by remi1444: 6:13am On Nov 12, 2017
bemagnify:

Since u av been told d truth wot is the essence of u going to study law?
God bless you, NeeKluas, it could be perfect if you transfered to other course like queenfav mentioned. mass communication, history, political science, sociology, philosophy etc. could save you the stress of joining the over saturated market.

1 Like

Re: ? by NeeKlaus: 6:28am On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
God bless you, NeeKluas, it could be perfect if you transfered to other course like queenfav mentioned. mass communication, history, political science, sociology, philosophy etc. could save you the stress of joining the over saturated market.
Did you read my post well at all? I doubt.
Re: ? by remi1444: 6:31am On Nov 12, 2017
NeeKlaus:

Did you read my post well at all? I doubt.
I did sir,you intend to diversify to other venture...
why not just forfeit the ambition to become a lawyer and start the biz?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

*this Is How AAU Post UTME/DE Screening Score Is Calculated / (PICTURES)..25 Facts You Won't Believe Were True.... / 2011 Waec Registration And Exam Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.