Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ? (6729 Views)

OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation / Only UNILAG Has Full Accreditation For Law In Nigeria / Female Underwear Found In Unilag Library For Law Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 12, 2017
Remi444, your mention also brought me here.

I'll agree with queenfav to an extent, the legal profession is not as juicy as it seem to be especially for new wigs but that also doesn't mean people are not making it in the legal profession.

Even some older lawyers haven't found their way around it, just like my principal would tell me that no principal can pay their juniors appropriately that the only thing we can hope to have is a BIG BREAK/BRIEF. So financially, being a full time lawyer isn't as rosy as it might seem to be especially a firm that does not pay appearance fees aside the basic salary.

Like Teespice said, I'm also a struggling young lady, I haven't gotten my own big break/brief yet, I only talk about my daily experience in court and the office too.

Don't be discouraged tho, you might be lucky to have your BIG BREAK after law school as Grace differs.

To an extent I think the profession is overrated, but I'm still very happy to be in the profession.

6 Likes

Re: ? by Olril18(m): 9:49pm On Nov 12, 2017
Teespice:
remi1444,

your mention brought me here.

queenfav to a large extent is being realistic. all I can say is pick out the positives from her post.

personally, being a lawyer has its own challenges especially in the area of finance. as it is, getting another office is tough.

I saw your post where you mentioned rich lawyers and you called my handle. abeg, forgive me if my posts gave you that very wrong impression. you have no idea how much I struggle. sometimes, some things are best left unsaid so as to not discourage those who may want to study law and as they say, experience is the best teacher.

besides, all I talk about is the court room experience. I never talked about living large biko.

one thing I realize is that it takes a lot of patience and hard work to make it.

cheers.

ps- op, you can talk to some lawyers in your vicinity. they might be of assistance.

so those of us who are still LLB students, are u saying we have made the mistake of our lives studying this course?
the negativity this days is baffling and absolutely discouraging
Re: ? by dollyjoy(f): 9:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
Olril18:

so those of us who are still LLB students, are u saying we have made the mistake of our lives studying this course?
Asiin eeeh!!
Re: ? by Olril18(m): 9:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
darkenkach:
I doubt if you will be able to make close to that amount in 5years after law school.

this is not a good enough reply to a post seeking help and solution to a particular problem.
Re: ? by Olril18(m): 9:55pm On Nov 12, 2017
dollyjoy:
Asiin eeeh!!
yes,its bad.. someone even mentioned masscom like if people in masscom don't have their challenges.... I agree one should be versatile though so one can find it easy to delve to other things during the uneasy periods..
Re: ? by Nmeri17: 10:05pm On Nov 12, 2017
queenfav:
Just last week, a lawyer who is 20 years at the bar, was begging my colleague for 500 naira to eat at Court of appeal canteen
Well, could be he splurged all his earnings on drinks. You haven't considered that, have you? wink Twenty years is too darn long to spend at a bar.

1 Like

Re: ? by Sterope(f): 10:34pm On Nov 12, 2017
Speak to the class rep or su president of your campus
EricSmallz:
I have been admitted by the Nigeria Law School. But I need amiracle to be able to pay my fees.

1 Like

Re: ? by Ymodulus: 12:50am On Nov 13, 2017
Re: ? by PDPGuy: 2:16am On Nov 13, 2017
queenfav:
I didn't want to talk o, cos if i start to talk eh! Yea the guy is somewhat right.. I know a married man with a child earning 15k monthly working in a medium sized firm. The appearance fee he was promised never comes regularly.To feed his family is a big issue!Some clients would rather pay your appearance fee with thanks and prayers.
Law will make u rich if you are from a highly connected family where good briefs can fall on your laps, or after many years of blood, sweat and tears. I don't know how to convey all my thoughts o, but finally being a lawyer is not as great as it's cracked up to be. Just last week, a lawyer who is 20 years at the bar, was begging my colleague for 500 naira to eat at Court of appeal canteen. I almost cried because people seeing him outside would assume he is making it big. He has been owing his counsels in Chambers salary of 25k for about two months now.

I have been practicing law since 2014 and trust me, the personal briefs i have gotten hasn't fetched me up to 250k!Not to discourage the op o, but be prepared for life after law school. It's not rosy at all.My first job after service was with N10000 pay. I had to rely on my savings to get by, because that money couldn't even feed me in two weeks.
By all means go to law school, but i beg you in God's name.. Have a skill, business or talent that will feed you.. Law won't give you the big bucks except u land a juicy job or come from a family with connections. So Yes some lawyers are 5 years at the bar, if you take them to the bank. They can't boast of 200k account balance!.
If someone had been honest with me, i would have saved myself the long years of studying law by going for mass communications, then used the One million naira plus i spent in law school on books, feeding, fees, living expenses etc to quietly set up a business. By now i would have had chains of businesses. Anyways, thank God for opening my eyes.
In the law firm i work, all of us have businesss we combine with work to make extra cash. Two of my colleagues sells cars. One is into Digital branding, another does food supply from the North to hotels and restaurants (carrots, irish potatoes green peppers). The profession is over saturated. Only the older lawyers are cashing in big time, most new wigs are left to wallow in poverty. Just best to have a back up plan, so you don't get lured into doing anything dirty for money.
Recently, someone was gisting me about a girl who attended the same university with me. As we speak she does runs to survive, alongside her job of 20k in Warri. She does rich married guys to meet up with her bills.You can imagine a professional trading her body for few crumbs. It is well o, just be smart, that's all. (Do pardon the typos)!

Wow

I even heard that some fresh lawyers earn as low as N10k/month. Even in the US, the market is somewhat saturated, but if you get a position within the US Attorney’s office, or a corporate/patent law gig, then you are set.

As for the lady doing runs, her predicament is a symptom of the Buhari economy. It’s terrible.
Re: ? by Nobody: 3:34am On Nov 13, 2017
Vivly:
@Queenfav, Thank you.
Plans have been made for me to go back to school for a second degree in law and now your post ... cheesy

Lol! Don't tell me you are getting discouraged already
Re: ? by Teespice(f): 5:07am On Nov 13, 2017
Olril18:

nobody is discouraging you nor saying you have made a mistake. all I am saying is, be prepared for what the future would hold if you want to practice because the first few years especially if you are not so patient can be very.............

see ehn, the only reason why I am not surprised at the challenges this profession has is because from time I knew it will not be easy esp the first few years after call to bar.

nobody is discouraging you, it is being realistic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ? by bemagnify: 5:58am On Nov 13, 2017
Every profession has its own up and down... Dnt allow any one to discourage u. Becuz A does not make it does not mean B won't make it..... Remember wen u were admitted to study law,, frnds and foes claimed law is a difficult discipline yet u sail tru... Determination and persistence is the key....

3 Likes

Re: ? by remi1444: 6:53am On Nov 13, 2017
Ymodulus:
Nigerian HOBBES, help the brother's ministry.
Re: ? by talk2emma: 9:44am On Nov 13, 2017
Lawyer na for mouth
Re: ? by sinaj(f): 11:01am On Nov 13, 2017
Olril18:

You dont understand simple English!

She isnt trying to discourage you but only telling you the reality haba!

In other words, She is saying that Law is a nice course but isnt all that rosy as the society portrays it to be. It takes perseverance nd patience for you to survive.

Even a SAN I knw wnt through hell b4 getting his break after 7yrs or so. In as much as you expect the best, you should be prepared for the worst thats all.

Its not about being pessimistic, its facing the reality!

1 Like

Re: ? by Vivly(f): 12:20pm On Nov 13, 2017
Neyoor:

Lol! Don't tell me you are getting discouraged already
I am o. My driving force is money. If there's no money there
Re: ? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 13, 2017
Vivly:

I am o. My driving force is money. If there's no money there

That's true but for the fact that some people didn't make money from the profession as supposed doesn't mean you can't. wink

Which course have had and what gave you the impression that you can't make that money with the course u studied?
Re: ? by rex444(m): 5:48pm On Nov 13, 2017
Chinese speaking guys or gals in the house? A translation job offer is by the corner,leave your contacts
Re: ? by hidhrhis(m): 6:07pm On Nov 13, 2017
my man go nd do yahoo yahoo cos i dont see how u will get dat amount of money with dis non payment of staff in nigeria but Just pray to God and watch how he will bless u
Re: ? by Gamboh55(m): 8:25am On Nov 14, 2017
Ymodulus:

Mai gida. Been trying to reach u. Sent a PM mo reply. It's important Dan Allah. Thanks bro
Re: ? by Olril18(m): 2:17pm On Nov 15, 2017
sinaj:
You dont understand simple English!

She isnt trying to discourage you but only telling you the reality haba!

In other words, She is saying that Law is a nice course but isnt all that rosy as the society portrays it to be. It takes perseverance nd patience for you to survive.

Even a SAN I knw wnt through hell b4 getting his break after 7yrs or so. In as much as you expect the best, you should be prepared for the worst thats all.

Its not about being pessimistic, its facing the reality!

Thank u ma,i understand now
Re: ? by MrMcJay(m): 5:08pm On Dec 04, 2017
remi1444:
I am a law fresher, the way you made the profession look makes it seem like no "mr nobody" can make a living from it, even here on nairaland we've got well to do "mr nobodies" like Tolusan, mrmcjay, teespice, eveluv, treash, lawyer etc. The way you generalised how "disastrous" it is to study law could go to the number umpteenth miles to kill the zeal of prospective lawyers in pursuing what they are passionate about.
Am sorry for countering your post, just posting AS IT FLOWS.

Bro, firstly, congratulations on your admission. I was serving a ban when I got your mention and I'm so happy for you. See you at the bar!

Now to the topic, I have read what many posters typed and while I agree with some, I'll disagree with others.

What I'll say is that the kinds of lawyers you associate with within your first 3 years of practice can make or mar you. There are three kinds of lawyers: The Able, the Unable and the Lamentable.

Also, while in your undergraduate years, always apply for internships in law firms and legal departments of companies. It would help you to broaden your horizon and shape your outlook.

What Queenfav posted above is the absolute truth, I've seen worse cases happening to some colleagues. However, you should understand that law is a business. Therefore, you should look at things from the angle of profit- short and long-term basis.

Look for specific areas of law: startups law, entrepreneurship law, construction law, tax, compliance, Labour and recruitment, Litigation prevention, etc.

The practice of law requires innovative solutions and ideas. If you provide them, you'll always be in demand and command your fees. However, if you jump into litigation like most lawyers, you won't be doing anything different from thousands of other lawyers.

1 Like

Re: ? by CodeTemplar: 9:16pm On Jun 18, 2018
Ymodulus:
Ymodulus the great where have u been? We miss the group importations.

1 Like

Re: ? by feeddhung: 6:04pm On Aug 15, 2018
@Ymodulus: Please would like to contact you. See you have amazing knowledge and appreciate all the great info shared here. Please can you send me your contact @ feeddhung@gmail.com

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of UK Universities With Low Tuition Deposit / Ambrose Alli University Cut Off Mark Out / 5 Examination Preparation Tips For Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.