Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,853 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:38 AM

African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery (7430 Views)

Yoruba Slave Fought Against Slavery For Compensation / The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by devindevin2000: 12:25pm On Nov 11, 2017
African Americans Narrate History of Igbo and Haiti Resistance Against Slavery. Pay attention to 21:00 and above where she talks about the Igbos as " a very powerful people" that resisted slavery. Igbo resistance inspired Haiti to lead the first ever slave revolt in the western hemisphere defeating armies of French, Spaniard and American. Not surprise that the same Igbo have been leading the break of up Nigeria since 1960. Understand why the power there be fears Igbo and have made sure for ages that they are suppressed through gross marginalization in Nigeria to hold them down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvebe2jJUfw

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2017
Igbos and revolution are like 5 and 6

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by loveth360(f): 12:34pm On Nov 11, 2017
That is why many are against them having their own country. Give them biafra and see them challenge for world power.

Igbo amaka

3 Likes

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by fumiswtpusytwo(f): 12:34pm On Nov 11, 2017
Even though I am a yoruba muslim from no man's land lagos,i have always maintained that biafrans ss and se expecially igbos are heroes from ojukwu to the obinna selling lascacera in traffic but give him five years he Will become a millonaire.
Is that not act of heroism,if biafra gets its freedom I will do everything to become a citizen even though I am an Omoluabi.

5 Likes

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by DozieInc(m): 1:17pm On Nov 11, 2017
The people hate any form of oppression... they believe all men are born free.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2017
François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture A Benin republic prince of Allada Dahomean descent led and organized the Haitian revolution after everyone involved engaged in a Voodoo blood pact at the ceremony of Bos Caiman.

Some people should stop trying to appropriate the Haitian revolution which was a joint rejection by all slaves of African desxent on that Island against oppression and slavery, just to massge their Igbotic egos.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 6:59pm On Nov 11, 2017
François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture A Benin republic prince of Allada Dahomean descent led and organized the Haitian revolution after everyone involved engaged in a Voodoo blood pact at the ceremony of Bos Caiman.

Some people should stop trying to appropriate the Hairian revolution which was a joint rejection by all slaves of African desxent on that Island against oppression and slavery.

Haolou in 1794 and more explicitly, Lamour Derance’s forces in 1802 were ‘grouped by tribes ... bands of Congoes, Aradas, Ibos, Nagos (Yorubas), Mandingos and Hausas [emphasis added]’. Consideration of the African ideological background to the Haitian revolution should therefore arguably seek .....

Amazingly enough, three major ethnic groups of contemporary Nigeria all had revolutionary guards.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by devindevin2000: 7:49pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:
[s]François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture A Benin republic prince of Allada Dahomean descent led and organized the Haitian revolution after everyone involved engaged in a Voodoo blood pact at the ceremony of Bos Caiman.

Some people should stop trying to appropriate the Hairian revolution which was a joint rejection by all slaves of African desxent on that Island against oppression and slavery. [/s]

Typical Afonja, just dumb and cannot reason whenever Igbo is mentioned in limelight, it angers him, he goes online, find whatever he can find and posts it. Dumb thing! Toussaint Louverture and Jean Jacques Dessalines led the Haitan revolution. Both got their inspiration from Igbo landing, where the Igbos revolted against their slave masters. This happened 17 century and the Haitian revolution happened in 18 century. Watch the video and listened to what they said. Stop hating on Igbos...they are also trying to free you dumb slave!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 7:54pm On Nov 11, 2017
devindevin2000:

Typical Afonja, just dumb and cannot reason whenever Igbo is mentioned in limelight, it angers him, he goes online, find whatever he can find and posts it. Dumb thing! Toussaint Louverture and Jean Jacques Dessalines led the Haitan revolution. Both got their inspiration from Igbo landing, where the Igbos revolted against their slave masters. This happened 17 century and the Haitian revolution happened in 18 century. Watch the video and listened to what they said. Stop hating on Igbos...they are also trying to free you dumb slave!

Typical flattie. All Ego and Zero brains.
I am not even here because I give a chit about Ibo abi na Igbo, but rather to bust your propagandas and various overt lies that has become an habit of you lots all over this forum and elsewhere.

You know nothing about the Haitian revolution and just automatically assume that the slaves of Haiti got inspiration for a revolution which happened in 1791 from a so called Ibo landing (Which wasn’t even a revolution, but rather a mass suicide) that happened in 1803.

If every African boasted in vain as much as the average Ibo man does, then Nobody will ever take a word from the mouth of an African as truth again ever!.

You better go read about the Yoruba various led slave revolts of the Americas such as Alabi the leader of Maroon revolutionists in Suriname, the Male Yoruba revolts of Brazil and Carlotta the Yoruba female rebel leader in Cuba amongst others, to know what real revokution looks like, rather that celebrating a mass slave suicide that was based on ignorant beliefs here.

I doubt you are even aware that some of the people who orchestrated this same Haitian revolution we are discussing right now were Yorubas. YES, you heard that right.

The Haitian Revolution was the first incidence of mass emancipation in a colonial society and the only slave revolt that resulted in the formation of a modern state. It has even been widely assumed that the Haitian Revolution was intellectually inspired by Western cultural values. Indeed, the Yoruba slave, Dutty Boukman, who ignited the revolution has been reduced to a mere footnote in the body of the prevailing Western-biased Haitian hegemonic historiography. This paper argues that the revolution, which was historically rooted in a legendary Yoruba tradition that abhors injustice, corruption and oppression, represents the very best of Yoruba’s cultural attainment in the Diaspora.

The study further ‘resurrects’ the monumental contributions of Dutty Bookman to the outbreak of the revolution and underscores the fact that the Yoruba god of Ogun was the most portent rallying force that drove the revolution. Thus, the paper situates the cultural roots of the Haitian Revolution in its proper historical perspective and
https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/5684/2/TheHaitianRevolution1791-1805.pdf

Do you think you are communicating with a naive idio.t here?

Shioor.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Wulfruna(f): 8:21pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:

Some people should stop trying to appropriate the Hairian revolution which was a joint rejection by all slaves of African desxent on that Island against oppression and slavery.

Even though Toussaint became the face of the Haitian Revolution, the revolution was already underway before he joined in.

1 Like

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 8:23pm On Nov 11, 2017
Wulfruna:

Even though Toussaint became the face of the Haitian Revolution, the revolution was already underway before he joined in.

You are right.
Indeed he became the face of the revolution, buy a lot more African revolutionaries were involved.

As a matter of fact I plan to create a thread about the Yoruba origins of the Haitian revolution very soon.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Wulfruna(f): 8:23pm On Nov 11, 2017
devindevin2000:

Igbo landing? LOL. Igbo landing did not inspire the Haitian Revolution.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Wulfruna(f): 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:

You are right.
Indeed he became the face of the revolution, buy a lot more African revolutionaries were involved.

As a matter of fact I plan to create a thread about the Yoruba origins of the Haitian revolution very soon.

I just read where you said Dutty Boukman was Yoruba. Is that a fact? I didn't know anything was known about his origins besides that he was probably a Muslim, and he had come from Jamaica to Haiti.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 8:30pm On Nov 11, 2017
Wulfruna:

I just read where you said Dutty Boukman was Yoruba. Is that a fact? I didn't know anything was known about his origins besides that he was probably a Muslim, and he had come from Jamaica to Haiti.

A lot of Yoruba slaves were Muslim.
I think he was called Book-man presumable because of the Quran the other slaves always saw with hin.

I am not 100% sure he was a Yoruba. But I have seen certain sources saying he was.
Which other African slaves had both elements of Islam and the so called “Voodoo” In the form of Yoruba religious practices if not Yorubas wink
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Wulfruna(f): 8:55pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:

A lot of Yoruba slaves were Muslim.
I think he was called Book-man presumable because of the Quran the other slaves always saw with hin.

I am not 100% sure he was a Yoruba. But I have seen certain sources saying he was.
Which other African slaves had both elements of Islam and the so called “Voodoo” In the form of Yoruba religious practices if not Yorubas wink

Well, it isn't certain he was Muslim - the sources all say 'probably'. And he was called Boukman because he taught himself to read and write. Not because he carried a Qu'ran about.

Voodoo (from vodun) was a Fon (not a Yoruba) import to the New World.

I think some of the sources that say he was Yoruba (incidentally the bulk of them seem to have been from Yoruba scholars) are basing their conclusion on the Ogun angle, forgetting that Black New World culture was very syncretic --- and Yoruba deities were widely adopted and worshipped in the New World by slaves who originally came from outside Yorubaland.

Some of the sources also say Boukman was an Obeah man. The term Obeah, originally thought to be of Ashanti origin, is now figured to have been Igbo by latest research. Incidentally, Boukman was born in Jamaica, where it appears Akan and Igbo slaves were predominant. I won't base any theory on Boukman's origins on 'Obeah' either, for the same reason I won't base them on Voodoo or Ogun.

Long and short --- we don't know anything about Dutty Boukman's ethnic roots.

I agree with you on one thing though: this post is striving to exaggerate the role played by Igbo slaves in the Revolution. They no doubt played a role as the rank-and-file, like other slaves on the island. The core leadership however seem to have been provided largely by slave of Fon orign.

In Haitian lore, Igbos are better know as people who rebelled against slavery by taking their own lives, rather than as people who picked up weapons to fight the white master.

They have a saying in Haiti to this day. Ibos pend' cor'a yo: The Ibos hang themselves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 9:04pm On Nov 11, 2017
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 9:04pm On Nov 11, 2017
Wulfruna:

Well, it isn't certain he was Muslim - the sources all say 'probably'. And he was called Boukman because he taught himself to read and write. Not because he carried a Qu'ran about.

Voodoo (from vodun) was a Fon (not a Yoruba) import to the New World.

Well, yes The greatest African influences in voodoo were Fon and Kongo practices, although the Kongo were numerically superior, the Fon practices gained the upper hand. But in Voodoo there are various nations for the Various groups- and one of those nations being Nago Nation/House representing the Yoruba elements of Voodoo and Haiti.
It ia from this nation that the nost Virile, energetic and virulent god of the Voodoo pantheon (Ogun) comes from.

But on Boukman’s origins he was most likely muslim African although his actual origins remain obscure.

Jamaican sources describe him as an Obeah man rather than a Voodoo man because that is the prevailing parlance for derived African religious practices there.
If Cubans spoke English, he might have well been describes by them as an ocha or orisha man. while authors from another island may have called him a Winti man, Etc etc.

Anyways, you and I can both agree that the directions those earlier elements in this thread were driving the entire discussion towards, is nothing short of a sneaky attempt as misappropriting achievemenrs.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by bigfrancis21: 9:21pm On Nov 11, 2017
A Song in Haitian Creole Dedicated to their Igbo Ancestors

Ibo Granmoun O / The Ibos are their own authority
Granmoun O / Their own authority
Lakay Ibo / In the Land of Igbos (strkingly similar to 'ala nke Igbo' in Igbo language)

As Haiti continues to struggle to build a democracy, we poise to remember one root of our democracy. Although the word democracy is from Greece, the concept of democracy arose independently in other societies. It arose among the Ibo people of today’s Nigeria, where people’s right to have a voice in how they are ruled was respected. The ancient Ibo people of Nigeria had a democratic state. Unlike their neighbors, the Nago, the Guedevi, and the Mayi, who were ruled by a noble class, the Ibo people were not ruled by monarchs. They had no kings, nor queens. The Ibo people were their own authority. Here in the song, this concept is presented as Ibo Granmoun, meaning the Ibos take orders from no one.

The Ibo people were ruled by a parliament called Igwe. This body was comprised of elders nominated from each lakou, the Haitian term for an extended family compound. As a result of this ancient Ibo democratic government, today there is a popular expression among the Ibo people of modern day Nigeria: Ibo ama eze, which means the Ibos are their own authority. Across the Atlantic, Ibo ama eze has been translated into Creole as Ibo granmoun.

So intolerant were the Ibo people of taking orders, that Ibo victims of enslavement in Haiti and throughout the Americas had a higher suicide rate than other Africans. This high suicide rate is remembered in the Vodou expression Ibo touye tèt li. In the United States there is a region called Ibo Landing in Georgia which is thought to have been a place where a group of Ibo people committed suicide rather than be enslaved.

Among the many Ibo influences present in Haiti, perhaps the most enduring is the Ibo passion for self-determination. That passion helped to fuel our fore-parents efforts to combat slavery. As their descendants, we continue to honor the Ibo and all the other nations who fought to create a more democratic Haiti
. No Africans in Haiti were willingly enslaved and people of all African nations rebelled against slavery. Nonetheless, because of the Ibo passion for democracy, they became the group most associated with rebellion against slavery. As such, in Haiti, when we honor the memory of Ibo Ancestors we commonly perform dance movements symbolic of their breaking the chains of enslavement. In Haiti, this rebellious way of dancing is called the Ibo dance. Other Ibo influences in Haitian culture are numerous and include the term sou for community banking and the use of M as a short form for mwen (me).

Although the Ibo people are remembered throughout Haiti, most of the world knows the Ibo people through the writings of the internationally acclaimed writer, the late, Chinua Achebe. His book, Things Fall Apart, is the most widely read modern African book in the world. His success is just another way of showing Ibo granmoun.

http://www.bookmanlit.com/ibogranmouno.html

cc Scholes0

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by bigfrancis21: 9:25pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:

Typical flattie. All Ego and Zero brains.
I am not even here because I give a chit about Ibo abi na Igbo, but rather to bust your propagandas and various overt lies that has become an habit of you lots all over this forum and elsewhere.

You know nothing about the Haitian revolution and just automatically assume that the slaves of Haiti got inspiration for a revolution which happened in 1791 from a so called Ibo landing (Which wasn’t even a revolution, but rather a mass suicide) that happened in 1803.

If every African boasted in vain as much as the average Ibo man does, then Nobody will ever take a word from the mouth of an African as truth again ever!.

You better go read about the Yoruba various led slave revolts of the Americas such as Alabi the leader of Maroon revolutionists in Suriname, the Male Yoruba revolts of Brazil and Carlotta the Yoruba female rebel leader in Cuba amongst others, to know what real revokution looks like, rather that celebrating a mass slave suicide that was based on ignorant beliefs here.

I doubt you are even aware that some of the people who orchestrated this same Haitian revolution we are discussing right now were Yorubas. YES, you heard that right.

https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/5684/2/TheHaitianRevolution1791-1805.pdf

Do you think you are communicating with a naive idio.t here?

Shioor.

The article you quoted was written by a Yoruba man, Olukoya Gen, which explains the Yorubanization of the Haitian Revolution. What else do you expect him to write? undecided

Do you have any European/non-yoruba sources that confirm his supposed Yoruba ancestry?

2 Likes

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 9:27pm On Nov 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

The article you quoted was written by a Yoruba man, Olukoya Gen, which explains the Yorubanization of the Haitian Revolution. What else do you expect him to write? undecided

Do you have any European/non-yoruba sources that confirm his supposed Yoruba ancestry?

And how did I know you were going to come here and say just that? lol

You don’t have anything to say about the very premise of this thread itself?

Surely not. It is Francis afterall.

1 Like

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 9:35pm On Nov 11, 2017
@Bigfrancis21, concerning the post you referred me to, what percentage of Haitians were Igbos and what percenrage of the revolution leaders were Igbo?
Also, what is the proof that the revolution was anymore inspired by the suicidal Igbo Ideology than it was by the ideology of the Warlike Fons or Kongo (as described by the colonialists) people or any other African group(s) present on thae Island for that matter? shocked

Some have even linked the Haitian revolution to the Mbangala warrior culture of central Africa.
All conjectures. Nothing concrete enough to appropriate the Haitian revolution or Democracy to any particular group of Africans.

period.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by bigfrancis21: 10:02pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:

And how did I know you were going to come here and say just that? lol

You don’t have anything to say about the very premise of this thread itself?

Surely not. It is Francis afterall.

Sure, you know me boy. Imma come in here and trash your falsities. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 10:04pm On Nov 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Sure, you know me boy. Imma come in here and trash your falsities. cheesy

Lol the very falsity of the thread being already trashed in the first place.
I care about nothing else.

Mr Pseudo-intellectual.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by bigfrancis21: 10:10pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:
@Bigfrancis21, concerning the post you referred me to, what percentage of Haitians were Igbos and what percenrage of the revolution leaders were Igbo?
Also, what is the proof that the revolution was anymore inspired by the suicidal Igbo Ideology than it was by the ideology of the Warlike Fons or Kongo (as described by the colonialists) people or any other African group(s) present on thae Island for that matter? shocked

Some have even linked the Haitian revolution to the Mbangala warrior culture of central Africa.
All conjectures. Nothing concrete enough to appropriate the Haitian revolution or Democracy to any particular group of Africans.

period.

Dude that article was written by a Haitian himself, not by some imaginary Yoruba writer looking to spread his tentacles beyond his boundaries.

By the way, you haven't provide the sources that i asked you for. Does that mean that you concede that Boukman was not a Yoruba man and so-called Olukoya Gen was lying? shocked shocked

Damn. You can't trust these half-baked African writers. grin

2 Likes

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Dude that article was written by a Haitian himself, not by some imaginary Yoruba writer looking to spread his tentacles beyond his boundaries.

By the way, you haven't provide the sources that i asked you for. Does that mean that you concede that Boukman was not a Yoruba man and so-called Olukoya Gen was lying? shocked shocked

Damn. You can't trust these half-baked African writers. grin

Maybe you are not following the discussion, but that was already done and dusted.
No one is sure what Boukman’s origins are. Yoruba or otherwise. He could even be Central African.

The entire thread on the other hand is one huge Fard (As usual) grin lipsrsealed the real tentacle spreading attempt. Lmao.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by devindevin2000: 10:49pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0 post=62292548[s:
]@Bigfrancis21, concerning the post you referred me to, what percentage of Haitians were Igbos and what percenrage of the revolution leaders were Igbo?

period.[/s]

Now you are asking Francis? Foolish envious thing. The research is all online to merit that Igbo inspired them. Your envy for Igbos will kill you Afonja...envious things!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 10:50pm On Nov 11, 2017
devindevin2000:

Now you are asking Francis? Foolish envious thing. The research is all online to merit that Igbo inspired them. Your envy for Igbos will kill you Afonja...envious things!

Lol this idio.t is still following me about in his fake thread, even from the other thread?

You get job so?

3 Likes

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by bigfrancis21: 11:06pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:

Lol the very falsity of the thread being already trashed in the first place.
I care about nothing else.

Mr Pseudo-intellectual.

Dude, forget it. It has been established in the academic world already that a higher number of Igbo slaves were sent overall (1.4m), compared to Yoruba slaves (circa 500,000), and that Yoruba slave trade peaked in the 1800s, about 100 to 150 years after Igbo slaves had been sold considerably. That is why I am not surprised when I see articles like this about many African American DNA testings turning out to be Igbo. Plenty of them. In terms of DNA, it is expected that more afro-descended peoples would carry more partial or full Igbo DNA than Yoruba, whereas in terms of African religion, the Yoruba one is the most popular in the new world and we would expect more adherents of Ifa compared to Obeah. Also, gone are those days of the early 2000s when writers were quick to assume any black person practising Ifa to be of Yoruba origin, which tended to erroneously exaggerate the number of Yoruba slaves exported to the new world. Nowadays, with DNA testing and more enlightenment, it is now a common thought (or common sense I would say), that the number of Yoruba exports was smaller than originally thought, and that Ifa is only a religion encompassing several members descended from different tribes in West Africa, and that not all Ifa followers are of Yoruba ancestry, thus it would be wrong to assume so. That is, one could be mostly of Kongo descent while practising Ifa, just as Roman Catholics of Nigeria are not descended from Rome but practice the Roman Catholic faith.

Moreover this is not a fight or comparison. Of course you do care about Igbo affairs and that is why you are always quick to rush into any Igbo-focused thread like this to 'stylishly' insert some Yoruba mention or whatnot. Dude, quit that child's play. Igbo is Igbo and Yoruba is Yoruba and each tribe in the new world is known for different things. Just last week I met an African American answering Nnamdi as his name, given to him from birth by his African American parents and, to my surprise, the dude even knows what the name means and a few Igbo words.

I saw this thread earlier and passed. I only returned here specifically to trash your false ideologies and unnecessary display of exuberance.

As if Scholes0 is not being Scholes0.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 11:09pm On Nov 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Dude, forget it. It has been established in the academic world already that a higher number of Igbo slaves were sent overall (1.4m), compared to Yoruba slaves (circa 500,000), and that Yoruba slave trade peaked in the 1800s, about 100 to 150 years after Igbo slaves had been sold considerably. That is why I am not surprised when I see articles like this about many African American DNA testings turning out to be Igbo. Plenty of them. In terms of DNA, it is expected that more afro-descended peoples would carry more partial or full Igbo DNA than Yoruba, whereas in terms of African religion, the Yoruba one is the most popular in the new world and we would expect more adherents of Ifa compared to Obeah. Also, gone are those days of the early 2000s when writers were quick to assume any black person practising Ifa to be of Yoruba origin, which tended to erroneously exaggerate the number of Yoruba slaves exported to the new world. Nowadays, with DNA testing and more enlightenment, it is now a common thought (or common sense I would say), that Ifa is only a religion encompassing several members descended from different tribes in West Africa, and that not all Ifa followers are of Yoruba ancestry, thus it would be wrong to assume so. That is one could be mostly of Kongo descent while practising Ifa, just as Roman Catholics of Nigeria are not descended from Rome but practice the Roman Catholic faith.

Moreover this is not a fight nro comparison. Of course you do care about Igbo affairs and that is why you are always quick to rush into any Igbo-focused thread like this to 'stylishly' insert some Yoruba mention or whatnot. Dude, quit that child's play. Igbo is Igbo and Yoruba is Yoruba and each tribes in the new world is known for different things. Just last week I met an African American answering Nnamdi as his name, given to him from birth by his African American parents and, to my surprise, the dude even knows what the name means and a few Igbo words.

I saw this thread earlier and passed. I am only here to trash your false ideologies and unnecessary display of exuberance.

Can you just prove the premise of this thread or stop talking about irrelivancies?
Each colony in the new world have a unique mix of factors that determined the provailing culture on each and every one of them.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 11:10pm On Nov 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Dude, forget it. It has been established in the academic world already that a higher number of Igbo slaves were sent overall (1.4m), compared to Yoruba slaves (circa 500,000), and that Yoruba slave trade peaked in the 1800s, about 100 to 150 years after Igbo slaves had been sold considerably. That is why I am not surprised when I see articles like this about many African American DNA testings turning out to be Igbo. Plenty of them. In terms of DNA, it is expected that more afro-descended peoples would carry more partial or full Igbo DNA than Yoruba, whereas in terms of African religion, the Yoruba one is the most popular in the new world and we would expect more adherents of Ifa compared to Obeah. Also, gone are those days of the early 2000s when writers were quick to assume any black person practising Ifa to be of Yoruba origin, which tended to erroneously exaggerate the number of Yoruba slaves exported to the new world. Nowadays, with DNA testing and more enlightenment, it is now a common thought (or common sense I would say), that Ifa is only a religion encompassing several members descended from different tribes in West Africa, and that not all Ifa followers are of Yoruba ancestry, thus it would be wrong to assume so. That is one could be mostly of Kongo descent while practising Ifa, just as Roman Catholics of Nigeria are not descended from Rome but practice the Roman Catholic faith.

Moreover this is not a fight nro comparison. Of course you do care about Igbo affairs and that is why you are always quick to rush into any Igbo-focused thread like this to 'stylishly' insert some Yoruba mention or whatnot. Dude, quit that child's play. Igbo is Igbo and Yoruba is Yoruba and each tribes in the new world is known for different things. Just last week I met an African American answering Nnamdi as his name, given to him from birth by his African American parents and, to my surprise, the dude even knows what the name means and a few Igbo words.

I saw this thread earlier and passed. I am only here to trash your false ideologies and unnecessary display of exuberance.

Can you just prove the premise of this thread or stop talking about irrelivancies?

And most especially

Avery powerful people" that resisted slavery. Igbo resistance inspired Haiti to lead the first ever slave revolt in the western hemisphere defeating armies of French, Spaniard and American.

Each colony in the new world have a unique mix of factors that determined the provailing culture on each and every one of them.

1 Like

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by bigfrancis21: 11:33pm On Nov 11, 2017
scholes0:

And most especially

Maybe you should know that among the Haitians, Ibo left great impression in their minds, language, culture, idioms etc. In fact, 'ibo' is a synonym for 'greatness'. In Haiti, anything great or enormous is labeled 'Ibo, such that their largest radio station is named 'radio ibo'. The people themselves have old-time tales of an Igbo-inspired revolution and independence of their country.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by scholes0(m): 11:52pm On Nov 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Maybe you should know that among the Haitians, Ibo left great impression in their minds, language, culture, idioms etc. In fact, 'ibo' is a synonym for 'greatness'. In Haiti, anything great or enormous is labeled 'Ibo, such that their largest radio station is named 'radio ibo'. The people themselves have tales oof an Igbo-inspired revolution and independence

Aren’t we talking about the Haitian revolution anymore?
All nations in Haiti have their own fables of greatness. I can post several examples.

But trying to attribute the single most important revolution in the Western Hemisphere by many measures to one particular group, especially with no backing concrete evidence as being done here, is nothing short of a cock and bull attempt, as well as Intellectual Dishonesty.

There is a difference between saying a West African tribe called the Ibos contributed towards the success of the Haitian revolution, and saying A very powerful African tribe called the Ibos that resisted slavery are the ones responsible for the revolution and its success.

Even you, despite all your faults can spot the differnce. (I believe you can sha)

I am not downplaying the importance of the Igbo nation to Haitian history. Quite the contrary.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tribal Culture Will Die / Which Ethnicity Has The Richest And Most Beautiful Culture In Nigeria? / South African Pap Eater Vs Nigerian Yam Eater

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.