Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,705 members, 7,802,097 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know (429 Views)

The Difference Between The Phrases “you And Me” And “you And I” / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Samstyle(m): 5:46pm On Nov 11, 2017
Here are some confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably do Not know. I advise you read this post assiduously and take note of the words below.

1. ALRIGHT

Do you know that the word "alright " is a
wrong word. However, there is no reason for
this, but, its correct form should be "all right".
You should also note that "Already, Almost,
Almighty and Altogether" are correct.

2. THE USE OF "THAT"

The following sentences are wrong

a. I had no idea the house was THAT small.
b. As a pianist he isn't really THAT good.

This use of "THAT" is wrong and is to be avoided. The correct form of the above
sentences are:

a. As a pianist he isn't really as good as that

b. I had no idea that the house was as small as that.

The common expression "that much " and
" that many " should be " as much as" and "as
many as that"

3. ADVERSE TO

You cannot be "averse to" , or " show aversion to". This is because the suffix " to" signifies approach, when the opposite is intended. And as so, you can only be "averse
from" , or show "aversion from" something.

4. TRY AND

When you say " try and " do something, it means you try first, before doing it. Thus, there are two actions involved in the
word " try and ".
" Try to" on the other hand, implies the combined action of trying and doing. Usually the correct expression is " try to",
and when people say "try and " they seldom have the logic meaning in mind.

5. AT ABOUT

When you say

"I shall expect you are about five o'clock."

You are wrong. This is because, "at" applies to " a definite time" . Therefore "at about" is a
confusion of two unlikely, and should be avoided.
The correct sentence should be
" I shall expect you about five o'clock".

6. OUGHT TO

" He ought to, didn't he? " is something we often hear. The correct construction is, " He
ought to, oughtnt't he? Or ought he not? ".

7. CIRCUMSTANCES

" Circumstances " are the events around something. Therefore it is wrong to say " under the circumstances " the correct use
is " in the circumstances ".

Hope this helps you improve your grammatical structure.

To read more click below

http://www.schoolwap.ga/2017/11/confusing-english-wordsphrases-you.html?m=1
Re: 10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know by GloriaNinja(f): 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2017
NICE ONE OP.
Re: 10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Ekugbeh(m): 5:57pm On Nov 11, 2017
Very edjucative
Re: 10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Ekugbeh(m): 6:00pm On Nov 11, 2017
GloriaNinja:
NICE ONE OP.
only u na gloria only na ninja

ahn ahn...

Are a japanese
Re: 10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Ekugbeh(m): 6:00pm On Nov 11, 2017
GloriaNinja:
NICE ONE OP.

ahn ahn...

Are u a japanese
Re: 10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know by internationalman(m): 6:12pm On Nov 11, 2017
I have heard British sport analysts say something like ''under different circumstances Lukaku would b a great go scorer for Utd''

So u mean they don't know what they are saying.
Re: 10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know by GloriaNinja(f): 12:38pm On Nov 12, 2017
Ekugbeh:

ahn ahn...

Are u a japanese
ofcourse
Re: 10 Confusing English Words/phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Ekugbeh(m): 1:27pm On Nov 12, 2017
GloriaNinja:
ofcourse
i guess u re in d flourishin train

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

FUTO Announced The Release Of Her 2017/2018 Supplementary Form / 2018 Global Scholarships To Study Online At UNICAF University / Hon Obinna Emenike (obiagu) Handover Of Built Class Rooms Blocks To Ibeku Commu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.