Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors (1421 Views)

Paying January Salary To Pastors By Fr Kelvin Ugwu / The Significance of Tithing and Firstfruits for Believers / Have You Ever Been Blessed Through Tithing And Giving In Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by damosky12(m): 10:12pm On Nov 11, 2017
There has, of recent, been a stir as regards tithing. This has also led to many criticisms against pastors and churches who take tithes. Consequently, there is the need for a scripturally balanced and holistic view.

Read carefully.

SHOULD CHRISTIANS TITHE?

Firstly, the practice of tithing is seen by Jesus to be of the law.

Matthew 23:23
[23]Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Observe the bolded. Jesus saw tithing as one of the requirements of the law.

Apparently, the practice of tithing was first clearly spelt out by Moses in Leviticus as one of the requirements of the old covenant.

Some folks cite Abraham's payment of tithe in Genesis 14:20 as being before the law.
This is rather invalid. The fact that God made a covenant of circumcision with Abraham before the law (Genesis 17) doesn't exempt circumcision as part of the law as it is clearly spelt out as part of the law.
Galatians 5:3
[3]For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

In the same vein, that Abraham tithed before the law doesn't exempt it from being of the law.

Besides the only connection between Abraham and the new testament (Romans 4, Galatians 3, Hebrews 11) is shown to be FAITH and NOT WORKS or PRACTICES.

Now, as we have shown that tithing is of the law. See why it is unscriptural.

Galatians 5:4
[4]Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Romans 4:13-14
[13]For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
[14]For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

The ceremony of tithing in the new testament is unscriptural. However, no need to call men of God who collect tithes thieves since many collect tithes based on their understanding of the scriptures.

Proven that the ordinance or practice of tithing is unscriptural, IS GIVING TO YOUR CHURCH AND PASTOR WRONG.

The answer is NO!
Why?

The Corinthians were taught to give to the church.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2
[1]Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
[2]Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

2Corinthians 8 (NIV)
1 And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches.
2Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.
3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own,
4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints.
5And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will.

2Corinth 9 (NIV)
1 There is no need for me to write to you about this service to the Lord’s people.
2 For I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it to the Macedonians, telling them that since last year you in Achaia were ready to give; and your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action.
3 But I am sending the brothers in order that our boasting about you in this matter should not prove hollow, but that you may be ready, as I said you would be.
4 For if any Macedonians come with me and find you unprepared, we not to say anything about you would be ashamed of having been so confident.
5 So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to visit you in advance and finish the arrangements for the generous gift you had promised. Then it will be ready as a generous gift, not as one grudgingly given.

The Apostles collected these givings. They are not called thieves.

ARE CHRISTIANS REQUIRED TO GIVE TO THEIR PASTORS?

1 Corinthians 9:7-14
[7]Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?
[8]Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
[9]For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
[10]Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.
[11]If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
[12]If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.
[13] Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
[14]Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

There is need for balance. It is ordained that you give to your Pastor. Its clearly written.

Galatians 6:6-7
[6] Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
[7]Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Yet, again...

1 Timothy 5:17-18
[17]Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
[18]For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

This is what the Bible teach.

Apostle Paul benefited from the church's giving.

Philippians 4:15-17
[15]Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.
[16]For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity.
[17]Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.

The practice of tithing is wrong in that it lays emphasis on compulsion. Tithing is seen as a must. However, giving in the new testament is Free will and not fixed.

2 Corinthians 9:6-7
[6]But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
[7]Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Tithing breaches this principle.

Whether or not the Christian gives to his church or Pastor 10% or 90% of his earnings is not the case. What matters is that He gives bountifully but cheerfully.

In conclusion, we need to strike a balance in our view of these things. While it is clear that tithing is not new testament, it is also clear that giving to Pastors is very much in line with the scriptures.

Pastors are not thieves. They are referred to as labourers who deserve what they get.

1 Like

Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by topsam1(m): 10:25pm On Nov 11, 2017
Daddyfreeze must hear this...
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by damosky12(m): 10:26pm On Nov 11, 2017
topsam1:
Daddyfreeze must hear this...

Please help him hear it. He actually doesn't know much.
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by Nobody: 12:22am On Nov 12, 2017
Your analysis is good but watch how some acclaimed Christians that knows it all will come to disagree by quoting grace messages

1 Like

Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by GodsMopol: 12:55am On Nov 12, 2017
Bros, Jesus is our Melchizedek

If Jesus is our Melchizedek, and Paul said, Abraham paid tithe to Melchizedek who was not an offspring of the Levite. Does that abolish tithing considering all we know about Melchizedek is, Melchizedek received tithe

cc Hebrews 7
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by 1stflight: 6:36am On Nov 12, 2017
The best balanced view or explanation on the tithe issue you just gave there.

The rather unfortunate thing about the issue is the pastors who responded did not give an informed or balanced response instead they were just "one way" and emotional in their arguments which give room to questioning their motive.

Woe betides anyone who tells me i get saved or receive prosperity only when i give to "God" or the church a tenth of my earning even when i dont earn enough to feed me.

That said there is nothing stopping me from giving a voluntary donation for the continuity of the ministry or gospel as the need arises since we all know and agree that money makes all things happen.
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by damosky12(m): 7:46am On Nov 12, 2017
GodsMopol:
Bros, Jesus is our Melchizedek

If Jesus is our Melchizedek, and Paul said, Abraham paid tithe to Melchizedek who was not an offspring of the Levite. Does that abolish tithing considering all we know about Melchizedek is, Melchizedek received tithe

cc Hebrews 7

My brother, the epistles will never mean today what it never meant when it was written. Hebrews 7 only aimed at revealing Jesus as an high priest forever just as Melchizedek.
The reference to tithing was not one that teach on the need to tithe but to show how that Levi is "lesser" than this Melchizedek in that he paid tithe in Abraham (verse 5-10).
The reference was just in passing.

Giving is clearly taught all through the epistles. But tithing isn't.

We can give 10%, 20%, 30% or more of our earnings but not as tithe. Just giving.

1 Like

Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by GodsMopol: 8:02am On Nov 12, 2017
damosky12:

My brother, the epistles will never mean today what it never meant when it was written. Hebrews 7 only aimed at revealing Jesus as an high priest forever just as Melchizedek.
The reference to tithing was not one that teach on the need to tithe but to show how that Levi is "lesser" than this Melchizedek in that he paid tithe in Abraham (verse 5-10).

We can give 10%, 20%, 30% or more of our earnings but not as tithe. Just giving.

Hmmmm, well, Kenneth Copeland pays 90 percent of tithe

I think that will be all
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by damosky12(m): 8:17am On Nov 12, 2017
GodsMopol:

I think that will be all

Tithe differs from giving in the new testament. Tithe, as part of the law, is a commandment. Its a MUST. That's why you call it a debt. You pay it.

Jesus paid all our debts in the new testament. The new testament man is called to liberty. 2Cor 3:17, Galatians 2:4, 5:1, 5:13.

The New Testament giving isn't fixed or under compulsion. It is done freely and at any percent, whether 5% or 90%. 2Corinth 9:6-7.

1 Like

Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by GodsMopol: 8:19am On Nov 12, 2017
damosky12:

Tithe differs from giving in the new testament. Tithe, as part of the law, is a commandment. Its a MUST. That's why you call it a debt. You pay it.

Jesus paid all our debts in the new testament. The new testament man is called to liberty. 2Cor 3:17, Galatians 2:4, 5:1, 5:13.

The New Testament giving isn't fixed or under compulsion. It is done freely and at any percent, whether 5% or 90%. 2Corinth 9:6-7.

ok
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by MuttleyLaff: 12:46am On Jan 10, 2018
damosky12:
My brother, the epistles will never mean today what it never meant when it was written.
Hebrews 7 only aimed at revealing Jesus as an high priest forever just as Melchizedek.
The reference to tithing was not one that teach on the need to tithe but to show how that Levi is
"lesser" than this Melchizedek in that he paid tithe in Abraham (verse 5-10).

GodsMopol:

I think that will be all

damosky12:
Tithe differs from giving in the new testament.
Tithe, as part of the law, is a commandment. Its a MUST. That's why you call it a debt. You pay it.

Jesus paid all our debts in the new testament.
The new testament man is called to liberty. 2 Cor 3:17, Galatians 2:4, 5:1, 5:13.

The New Testament giving isn't fixed or under compulsion.
It is done freely and at any percent, whether 5% or 90%. 2Corinth 9:6-7.

GodsMopol:
ok
[img]https://s1/images/CheesySmile.gif[/img]
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by Nobody: 1:02am On Jan 10, 2018
In the times of yore we had real labourers, today we have charlatans. Of course, not all of them are crooked but most are and those who are not yet rich are aspiring to be!

Furthermore, most rich men of god today are not labouring for the kingdom, they are labouring for their insatiable appetites of greed and gross wantonness.

1 Like

Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by damosky12(m): 11:09am On Jan 10, 2018
frosbel2:
In the times of yore we had real labourers, today we have charlatans. Of course, not all of them are crooked but most are and those who are not yet rich are aspiring to be!

Furthermore, most rich men of god today are not labouring for the kingdom, they are labouring for their insatiable appetites of greed and gross wantonness.

Be careful when you use the word "most". Have you done a critical research of the " appetites" of pastors. Even if you have, is their heart so transparent that you can see through...

A good number of the pastors of the richest churches in this country started out when church and wealth were different ends that never met... It will be unfair to call them thieves because God has blessed their them.

No doubt that there are charlatans among pastors... That shouldn't be a big deal. Every profession has its bad eggs.

1 Like

Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by petra1(m): 11:17am On Jan 10, 2018
frosbel2:

Wrong assumption, of the millions of ministers how many have you crossexamixed . Anti church and anti MOG. Campaign and movement is satanic. Giving is a principle of Gods kingdom . The givers are not robbed but blessed for their giving . You make people lose faith in giving when you teach such error .
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by hardeycute(m): 11:55am On Jan 10, 2018
damosky12:

It will be unfair to call them thieves because God has blessed their them
The same god failed to bless the large number of poverty ridden church members .

Love your logic
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by luvmijeje(f): 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2018
OP, you've written beautifully well. I've nothing to add to it.
Re: What the "Sheeples" need to know about Tithing And Giving To Pastors by cooltola(m): 4:32pm On Oct 18, 2019

(1) (Reply)

What Sir Isaac Newton Has To Say About Atheism / More On Bible Quiz / Heaven As Written By A 17 Year Old Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.