Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,496 members, 7,781,486 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:26 PM

Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? (29768 Views)

New shock absorbers and tokumbo abeg which should i go for / Shock Absorbers Come In!!! / EOD Shock Absorbers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Populus: 1:02pm On Nov 13, 2017
I have a Toyota Camry 2001 (Drop Light). I was advised to change the shock absorbers when I noticed some funny noises each time the car bumped into a gallop. I changed the four shock absorbers in March 2017 and didn't really get value for money because the noise only reduced rather than disapear. I complained to my mechanic and that I wanted a new shock absorber and he told me a tokunbo is far better because the new ones don't last. Now I changed the shock absorbers again last month (October 2017) and it's even worse off! PLEASE I need to know:
1. Is a tokunbo shock absorber truly better than a new one? (Although I think a new one should be better)
2. Where in Festac Town can I get a good mechanic? (Not the flambouyant autoshops that know next to nothing speaking grammer in their air conditioned office.)
3. Where can I get very good shock absorbers? (New or Tokunbo) Note:The ones fitted in my car where bought from Ladipo Market!
4. What is the price range for these Shock absorbers?

GAZZUZZ, CarDoctor et al. Your Input will be highly appreciated.

3 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 13, 2017
Buy new kyb OEM shocks

7 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by hisgrace090: 1:17pm On Nov 13, 2017
There are so many mix up in tokunbo shocks this days.

Today they reforbish all condemn shocks and sell them as tokumbo.

So you have to be careful.

Apart from this, tokumbo is good.

23 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Populus: 2:12pm On Nov 13, 2017
hisgrace090:
There are so many mix up in tokunbo shocks this days.

Today they reforbish all condemn shocks and sell them as tokumbo.

So you have to be careful.

Apart from this tokumbo is good.

Yea...But a mechanic who truly knows his onions should be able to spot the difference!

17 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Populus: 2:13pm On Nov 13, 2017
NgcoboP:
Buy new kyb OEM shocks
Where can I get them and what is the guarantee?
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 13, 2017
Populus:

Where can I get them and what is the guarantee?
Cc
Gazzuzz

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by nurey(m): 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2017
Populus:
I have a Toyota Camry 2001 (Drop Light). I was advised to change the shock absorbers when I noticed some funny noises each time the car bumped into a gallop. I changed the four shock absorbers in March 2017 and didn't really get value for money because the noise only reduced rather than disapear. I complained to my mechanic and that I wanted a new shock absorber and he told me a tokunbo is far better because the new ones don't last. Now I changed the shock absorbers again last month (October 2017) and it's even worse off! PLEASE I need to know:
1. Is a tokunbo shock absorber truly better than a new one? (Although I think a new one should be better)
2. Where in Festac Town can I get a good mechanic? (Not the flambouyant autoshops that know next to nothing speaking grammer in their air conditioned office.)
3. Where can I get very good shock absorbers? (New or Tokunbo) Note:The ones fitted in my car where bought from Ladipo Market!

. Your Input will be highly appreciated.

i was in your shoes september as i didnt need to honk, the sounds coming from my wheels is enough to make passerbys run for there lives. I talked to my mechanic and he billed me 30k for tokunbo shocks, i have been buying tokunbo parts and they dont seem to last so i went to alibaba and these so called parts were cheap, but getting them to nigeria is an headache and will cost tooth and nail.

I had a project i was working on and gulping money but i needed my car in top shape too so i told the mechanic i needed a shock new that will only last a year without giving me issues and by Gods grace i would have had enough money for a revamped suspension works so he got me a brand new shock for 20k (said its of low quality but will work), i just need something for a year till i bounce back from my financial issues, ispent around 60k for the total work

new shocks
new linkages
All bushing change
brake pads
shock absorber bushings and pad
Steering rack bushing changed
two tokunbo tires for the front
wheel balance and alignment
workmanship

well till today i am enjoying the car, no noise in gallop and no wahala, am just praying to God that by next year june, i would do what i call total replacement of all serviceable parts, would budget heavily for that so i can run the car an extra 5years without wahala.

in essence, there are some parts that the tokunbo isnt worth it, a shock absorber that is already 15years old, wetin remain again abeg buy new one even if nah china and try save up for the real deal. Also change your bushings and the linkages those ones should be original it is worth it on the long run.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by ozone0801(m): 5:41pm On Nov 13, 2017
nurey:

Is this car a 3rd generation Toyota 4runner?

I need to have an idea and cost of the total overhaul of a 2000 toyota 4runner suspension.

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by nurey(m): 5:58pm On Nov 13, 2017
[quote author=ozone0801 post=62344899][/quote]

Toyota sienna first generation (2000model)

I can't tell the cost of that but original kyb front for your car should cost about 60k while rear is around 40k maybe more or less. I don't know the price of other components of the suspension works
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 6:29pm On Nov 13, 2017
It all depends on what you buy. If the tokunbo shocks aren't giving you satisfaction then get an OEM or high quality aftermarket part.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by ozone0801(m): 3:16am On Nov 14, 2017
[quote author=nurey post=62345376]

Toyota sienna first generation (2000model)

Thanks for the reply, I'll just go with the kyb.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by omakay(m): 3:47pm On Nov 14, 2017
Please whats the price of LINKAGE for toyota camry 2001.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by autotrader2: 10:34am On Apr 07, 2018
omakay:
Please whats the price of LINKAGE for toyota camry 2001.

10k for the pair grin

Also for Brand New US Spec Shock Absorbers for your Camry 2007-2011 see thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/4437413/lexus-es350-camry-front-shock

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by ironheart(m): 6:13pm On Apr 07, 2018
Be deceiving yourselves with tokumbo this, tokumbo that. All the tokumbo stuff i bought for my car are a waste of money, time and resources. Those guys are only interested in making money on your life and safety. A chinko part is better than tokunbo part any day anytime. Bought china front shock for 15k last 2 year n they are due for change. They have tried as far as i can tell

17 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Autopartz: 8:04pm On Apr 07, 2018
ironheart:
Be deceiving yourselves with tokumbo this, tokumbo that. All the tokumbo stuff i bought for my car are a waste of money, time and resources. Those guys are only interested in making money on your life and safety. [b]A chinko part is better than tokunbo part any day anytime. [/b]Bought china front shock for 15k last 2 year n they are due for change. They have tried as far as i can tell

Chinko parts are in different grades. You were fortunate to get a high grade Chinko part.

Nevertheless, original KYB shocks are high recommended. Currently available @ discount prices for Japanese, Korea and Peugeot vehicles.

6 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by paix(m): 9:03pm On Apr 07, 2018
Buy new kyb OEM shocks
Yeah, I bought 2 new front kyb absorbers for my Avensis car (2010) just yesterday.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by ironheart(m): 11:17pm On Apr 07, 2018
Autopartz:

Chinko parts are in different grades. You were fortunate to get a high grade Chinko part.

Nevertheless, original KYB shocks are high recommended. Currently available @ discount prices for Japanese, Korea and Peugeot vehicles.
i hear you
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Dething: 7:19am On Apr 08, 2018
Please, what's KYB, where can I pick it up?

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by chyckxx(m): 7:23am On Apr 08, 2018
Tokunbo. When you get them from the right dealers. Most of the tokunbos are merely refurbished Nigerian used, some dealers make you believe they are real tokunbos and they don’t last as much as the real tokunbos.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by gonkin(m): 7:30am On Apr 08, 2018
Mechanics are the biggest car killers cuz many are just trying different tactics. Anyone can be a mechanic once he loosens and tighten a bolt

They kill cars. If its a bad plug cable the would tell u its fuel pump that they need to buy this crap and that.
The dont even have OBD scanners.

As at 2011 i owned a 1995 odyssey (honda and wahala) i diddnt even know where the compressor was so mech cheated me but look at me now. After watching several videos online, asking questions and applying knowledge i even know how to replace an engine.
Also u need someone thats really good to guide you. Its why i respect benin boys when it comes to that. Now i use a 1992 landcruiser and i dont need a mechanic. If the job is too heavy for me i take my time and take it to my guide and watch him fix(although i already know the problem)

10 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by phayvoursky(m): 7:32am On Apr 08, 2018
For me I'll go with tokunbo

Cause even Nigeria is not a brand new country

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Troublemaker007(m): 7:34am On Apr 08, 2018
Populus:

GAZZUZZ, CarDoctor et al. Your Input will be highly appreciated.

If you hear price of original shock absorber you go convert to legedis Benz. Not all those nonsense we are buying. I went to a legit Toyota shop to get some parts price quote for my Corolla Sport. Ordinary Stabilizer link i dey buy for 3500 is 40k, front shock absorber is 140k, back shock is 180k. I pick my car up, put am for head and ran as fast as I can. cheesy

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by xreal: 7:45am On Apr 08, 2018
There are lots of things one will learn from a car.

I have learnt a lot so far.

There are some parts that I buy new parts for, example is Shaft, Linkage; while there are some parts I get the tokunbo e.g absorber.

Try to locate a good and honest tokunbo dealer around you.

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by godofuck231: 7:47am On Apr 08, 2018
[quote author=ozone0801 post=62354991][/quote]

Guy go and buy a benz, how many fake parts do u see in a benz

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by sacramento1212: 7:48am On Apr 08, 2018
Troublemaker007:

If you hear price of original shock absorber you go convert to legedis Benz. Not all those nonsense we are buying. I went to a legit Toyota shop to get some parts price quote for my Corolla Sport. Ordinary Stabilizer link i dey for 3500 is 40k, front shock absorber is 140k, back shock is 180k. I pick my car up, put am for head am ran as fast as I can. cheesy

Lol...yes genuine Toyota parts are expensive. Genuine brake pads alone sef is over 20k compared to the ones being sold for 3k. And you will hear people say German parts are 3 times expensive than Toyota not knowing that most cheap Toyota parts are actually not original.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by HardMirror(m): 7:50am On Apr 08, 2018
Troublemaker007:

If you hear price of original shock absorber you go convert to legedis Benz. Not all those nonsense we are buying. I went to a legit Toyota shop to get some parts price quote for my Corolla Sport. Ordinary Stabilizer link i dey for 3500 is 40k, front shock absorber is 140k, back shock is 180k. I pick my car up, put am for head am ran as fast as I can. cheesy
Lol. Why many think tokumbo is better is cos of the fake new parts our brothers keep importing. Most tokumbos are better than these fake new parts.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by bekpo(m): 7:51am On Apr 08, 2018
autotrader2:

10k for the pair grin

Also for Brand New US Spec Shock Absorbers for your Camry 2007-2011 see thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/4437413/lexus-es350-camry-front-shock

Can I have it for my infinity jeep, 1998 model?
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Troublemaker007(m): 7:52am On Apr 08, 2018
sacramento1212:

Lol...yes genuine Toyota parts are expensive. Genuine brake pads alone sef is over 20k compared to the ones being sold for 3k. And you will hear people say German parts are 3 times expensive than Toyota not knowing that most cheap Toyota parts are actually not original.

Brake pad over 20k! That means I won’t change brake pad in the next 10 years be that. Ever since I changed the tie-rod and ball join in my corolla Sport I no longer feel the car again. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by neonly: 7:53am On Apr 08, 2018
Just drive yur car like dat to ladipo if u want I can give u a guy number Der 100% guaranty thk me later

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 08, 2018
I pray God shows you favour with a new car to avoid this stress, say amen.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of Chevrolet Volt Designed By Jelani Aliyu, The New DG Of NADDC / Cars Floating Down A River In New Jersey (Photos, Video) / Man Caught 'Driving Without A Steering Wheel'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.