Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,339 members, 7,808,202 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? (5196 Views)

People Now Sell Fresh Air In Nylon Bags / Pics: Women Storm Lagos Assembly Over Deaths Of Pregnant Women In Lagos Hospital / China Sells Fresh Air In Cans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by Seun(m): 2:00pm On Mar 22, 2010
The air in my area is very foggy and stings.  Some people are calling it "harmattan" but it's hot and not dry.

I think this phenomenon is known as smog and it happens when warm air high in the atmosphere prevents polluted air from factories and car exhausts from rising and dispersing into the upper atmosphere.  So the pollutants mixed with water vapour continue to build up in the lower atmosphere, leading to the effects we're seeing.

Where are you based?  Are you experiencing this in your area?  Let's find out how far this reaches and how bad.

UPDATE: Some people are saying it's the effect of a Sahara desert dust storm.  If true, it would also explain the stinging/choking effect.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by samstels: 2:07pm On Mar 22, 2010
Yea,I observed this polluted airhen i was about leaving port arcourt to warri.You barely can see far.It looks prety much like harmattan season but its hot.Now i am in warri and we are experiencing the same thing.

Hope this does not pose any serious health hazards.

Climate change;what is nigeria doing other countries are taking the issue very serious.

MayGod save us.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by obinna5000(m): 2:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
@Seun
I still think its harmattan and not smog. I still feel cold even with the dust. Smog is usually made up of gases.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by NSNA: 2:15pm On Mar 22, 2010
Very good and educative information coming from Seun
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by pattiano(f): 2:22pm On Mar 22, 2010
From the information i got from my Uncle, it's HARMATTAN. He said a similar thing happened in 1972. We are still in dry season we havent entered rainy season yet. So i beleive him that this is harmattan and does not pose any health hazard.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by AnneMarie2(f): 2:28pm On Mar 22, 2010
Smoke + fog =SMOG.But what i fell here in ibadan is smelly and stinging dust.it makes my eye watery,i can only hope its not causing any harm to my dear eyes.(thanks for the information).
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by chrisrock(m): 2:33pm On Mar 22, 2010
obinna5000:

@Seun
I still think its harmattan and not smog. I still feel cold even with the dust. Smog is usually made up of gases.
@obinna i totally agree with you.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by saviola77(m): 2:35pm On Mar 22, 2010
visibility was pretty bad here in abuja over the weeked for the same reason, it even caused rashes to develop on my face. thanks for the heads up, i even thought there was sandstorm somewhere up north.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by twinskenny(m): 2:36pm On Mar 22, 2010
this has already affected so many flight,
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by sayso: 2:39pm On Mar 22, 2010
may be we are lucky down here in 9ja,in china it is sandstorm currently moving through out the country up to Hong Kong.
see link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8577806.stm

PH is having poor visibility though.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by zenus(m): 2:43pm On Mar 22, 2010
May be the climate is changing so fast
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by elelem(m): 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2010
I leave in the university town of Nsukka and for the past two days we ve been experiencing the harmattan with powdery dust all over the place.The air around here smells dusty and very harsh on the nostril and it leaves the skin all dried up.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by elelem(m): 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2010
I leave in the university town of Nsukka and for the past two days we ve been experiencing the harmattan with powdery dust all over the place.The air around here smells dusty and very harsh on the nostril and it leaves the skin all dried up.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by sandee575(f): 2:49pm On Mar 22, 2010
@seun

The phenomenon whereby upper air mass is warmer than the lower air mass
is known in metereology as an inversion. Ordinarily the saying is true that the
higher you go, the cooler it becomes, hence warm air rises and cools during its
ascent at a drop of 3 degrees centigrade every 1000 feet.
Presently we have an abnormal occurence where the lower air mass is cooler
so it stays down trapping the pollutants that should have risen and acted as
ingredients in the formation of clouds and consequently causing rainfall.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by Day11(m): 2:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
embarassed embarassed No one should be outside after 8pm today. This not "harmattan" Its a SMOG, it damages Human's heart. RUN FOR YA LIFE!!!!!!
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by zenus(m): 2:54pm On Mar 22, 2010
Even affecting ppl seriouly in Hong Kong.
May be it's coming to Africa
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by DoubleN(m): 2:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
Seriously reminds me of my days Up north. The Weather is so harsh on the nose.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by leleri: 2:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
am in anthony and there is polluted air .does it hv any negative implication
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by Day11(m): 2:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
embarassed embarassed where am I gonna hide, SMOG coming to Nigeria, Oh not in my matches box house cry
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by Feraz(m): 3:03pm On Mar 22, 2010
Yeah! It's all over the island
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by oludashmi(f): 3:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
I am in V.I and ve noticed this before noon only that I have not come outside the office to feel it but it penetrates into the office and smells despite the AC on.
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by 0hsisi: 3:09pm On Mar 22, 2010
Nature's way of checking overpopulation
Any male that inhales this is rendered sterile and impotent.
Praise Gad!
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by olulove(m): 3:14pm On Mar 22, 2010
we havin the same problem here too in kogi state. Some said is harmattan but i don't tink so
anybody heard any information about ACID RAIN  later this week, any drop of the rain on u is harmful
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by DoubleN(m): 3:15pm On Mar 22, 2010
0hsisi:

Nature's way of checking overpopulation
Any male that inhales this is rendered sterile and impotent.
Praise Gad!
]
You no well at all,na ur blockos go block! angry
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by jdmurphy(m): 3:19pm On Mar 22, 2010
The whether is the same in ikeja too.Someone claimed he got a warning alert of a possibility of an acidic rain between 20th and 28th of this month. It was said to be based on a dark circle around the moon on the 17th of last month which the peddlers said was indicative of the acid rain. The acid rain is said to be a cause of skin cancer. The information is said to have emanated from NASA. May God save us,
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by nellaluv(f): 3:38pm On Mar 22, 2010
In Magodo gra here its d same thing the atmosphere is foggy and dry. My sis in zamfara state says d place is so dry that when u're walking on the streets u will look like an old person,lol
@seun, thanx for the heads up, and obinna think u're right, lets just hope it aint harmful, or is d world coming to end already
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by samcc30(m): 4:06pm On Mar 22, 2010
i hope Gaddafi's  r not the one throw nuclear weapon bomb into Nigeria.
Nigeria beware of Gaddafi's
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
@ Anne Marie,
ur dear eyes is safe, that i can guarantee u. wink (winks)
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by Pamperme: 4:15pm On Mar 22, 2010
This is actually hotter than Harmattan. Whatever it is, the Lagos airport was closed this morning but am not sure if it has been opened, poor visibility i guess. The northern part of the country have been experiencing this since wednesday or so.

A colleague of mine claimed the world is coming to an end!
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by Kx: 4:23pm On Mar 22, 2010
is NASA saying anything about d weather condition?
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by D1KeleVra(m): 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2010
NO! They don't give a damn about u or NL cool
Re: Hazy Air In Your Area? Dust Storm? by oge4real(f): 4:29pm On Mar 22, 2010
Benn terrible in Abuja for some days now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Will The Nigerian Govenrment Value Human Life? / Untold Benefits Of Honey Mixed With Hot Water / What Really Is The Effect Of Action Bitters (for Those Who Take It)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.