Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,177 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:31 AM

Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? (1421 Views)

Which Bible Is The Inspired Word Of God ? / The Gay Bible Version / Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by Grouppoint(m): 3:54pm On Feb 22, 2007
There are several translations and versions of the bible. KJV, NKJV, Amplified, NASB, NIV, NLB. etc

Which Bible translation do you prefer to use and why?
Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by Grouppoint(m): 4:09pm On Feb 22, 2007
We already know that there are various versions and in various languages, for various reasons.
Hence, this thread is meant only for the christian to express his/her views.
Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by trinigirl1(f): 12:10am On Feb 23, 2007
I like my King James version because that's what I grew up on, but I use the NIV and Amplified when I speak to people or when I post here, it's easier to understand and more applicable to today's world.

But some verses, only the KJV says it in a way that really brings it home.

I wish I could learn Hebrew and Greek and get my hands on those versions. smiley
Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by Ndipe(m): 1:38am On Feb 23, 2007
I like King James Version all the way!!!. I have read from other websites that some of this new Bible editions have edited words from the original King James Version. If there is one Holy Bible version that I would recommend, go with King James Version.
Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by trinigirl1(f): 2:07am On Feb 23, 2007
Ndipe:

I like King James Version all the way!!!. I have read from other websites that some of this new Bible editions have edited words from the original King James Version. If there is one Holy Bible version that I would recommend, go with King James Version.

he didnt ask for a recommendation sha, just say what you prefer and why. geez. why get into skepticsms with no proof?
and what makes you think the KJV don't doesn't have "edited words" as well? It's far from the original manuscripts and contains mistakes.
Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:36am On Feb 23, 2007
True indeed Trini_girl

And that is why we have to keep going back to the original hebrew and greek in deriving a better understanding of difficult passages. Believe you me, there are some very difficult passages that will throw you into a spin, if all you're doing is simply taking them at face value.

My translation of choice is the NKJV.
Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by Ndipe(m): 9:23am On Feb 23, 2007
Below is the link that I found that contains some details about the NIV. Please scroll below the link and you will see it.

http://www.av1611.org/kjv/nivname.html

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/

http://www.bloomsburgbaptistchurch.net/NIV.html

Another reason why I like the King James Version is the REVERENCE that is accorded God in the Holy Bible, by capitalizing His Name, even in the Pronoun tense.
Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by Grouppoint(m): 9:35am On Feb 23, 2007
I tend towards the New king James. Its easier on the eyes.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of KJV.

Some say it tends to project a holier-than-thou impression of 'Thou, maketh, liveth etc'. You get my drift.

Also, many christians do not really understand what they are saying when they quote from King James version.

1 Like

Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by syrup(f): 9:54am On Feb 23, 2007
I particularly like the KJV of the Bible; though admittedly its diction in Old English style proves somewhat difficulty for some people.

The perculiar "thee, thou, doeth," etc., are not sufficient reasons for anyone to find the KJV out of place. At least, it helps to distinguish between singular and plural subjects being addressed and minimizes the misconceptions that might emerge from the word "you" (as that is used for both singular and plural English tenses).

The reverence is preserved; and the complaint that it smacks of a holier-than-thou impression is funny - the Bible is holy, and it should not be seen as otherwise.

However, I enjoy other versions including the Amplified, English Standard Version (ESV), and the NIV. I'm not an enthusiast of "The Message" version.

@Ndipe, thanks for those links.
Re: Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? by Ndipe(m): 10:37am On Feb 23, 2007
You are welcome@Syrup.

(1) (Reply)

How To Survive This Global Economic Recession / Grace In The Midst Of Dispensation Of The Law Of Moses. / "I Know I'm A Sinner, But I Confess My Sins To God Daily...."

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.