Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,937 members, 7,806,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower (33072 Views)

How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? / Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by spencekat(m): 7:14am On Nov 14, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
As the poster before me just said there are no pros only cons. Doing a masters degree in a good university will be almost impossible with that grade so that option is out of it. A dream job will remain a dream job. Your best bet is to start a business or start acquiring skills. The earlier for you the better.
Depending on his CGPA.3.0-3.49 qualifies him already to do Masters without PG

1 Like

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Maj196(m): 7:19am On Nov 14, 2017
Go learn a skill and believe me this it will give u an edge over those who had better grades than you.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Kelvin1019: 7:21am On Nov 14, 2017
2.2 in dis buhari? Go and burn it and start new class or get ready 2 sell gala 4 go slow. Lol
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by bolinjkezzy(m): 7:22am On Nov 14, 2017
westlius:
my dear noting bad companies don't check of 1st, 2nd or 3rd class bt on professional certificate. so plz look ur profession and know prof. certificate. eg account student needs Line/Sage50 applications and Ican etc Engr needs coran etc so look for a certificate to write
Coren not coran
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by hpymoment(f): 7:26am On Nov 14, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
As the poster before me just said there are no pros only cons. Doing a masters degree in a good university will be almost impossible with that grade so that option is out of it. A dream job will remain a dream job. Your best bet is to start a business or start acquiring skills. The earlier for you the better.
Doing masters is very possible and I mean it. Not even with the help of pgd but straight up to masters.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by PrettyN: 7:28am On Nov 14, 2017
Well am working with my 2:2 oooo and I am way smarter at times what u graduated does not determine where u will end in life just be focus my dear.. I graduated with 3:48 which is almost 2:1
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by linearity: 7:29am On Nov 14, 2017
The only pro I can see in it, is that it will give you more drive and zeal to double your hustling.

This is more because, you will see it as a drag and what to polish it with other addendums.

Note that, this will only happen if you the kind of person that sees the cup half full. If your perspective is seeing the cup half empty, then there are no pros, only cons.

1 Like

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Tobycharles: 7:34am On Nov 14, 2017
Olukokosir:

Egbon r u high ?.. Bros pls don't misquote us... Simply put it dz way... If u cum out wt 2nd class lower Buh not a 3pointer, u myt nt b chanced to do a master degree Buh if u cum out wt 2nd class lower, nd uhr cgpa is 3point nd above, u v d 100% proof of Gtn a masters degree..

Note dat dos wt 2nd class lower (2 pointer), enrol in PGD b4 Gtn a masters form.

That's ommaterial
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by linearity: 7:34am On Nov 14, 2017
PrettyN:
Well am working with my 2:2 oooo and I am way smarter at times what u graduated does not determine where u will end in life just be focus my dear.. I graduated with 3:48 which is almost 2:1

Very painful 2:1 indeed that has the potential of hurting one for life! You will keep thinking that, had you flip one or two grades, it would have been a 2:1, which would had been great, or if you had relaxed a bit and had more fun, it would not had been worst than a 2:2.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by tayo60(f): 7:35am On Nov 14, 2017
It depends on you and what you want to achieve in life. It has nothing to do with your grade. I know someone that graduated with 3rd class but now she is a PhD holder.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 14, 2017
Bukky001:
Please my people, I just checked my result now and found out that I had 2.2. (second class lower). I need your contributions on the pros and cons of graduating with such grade. I look forward to your contributions. Thanks. Please MOD help me shift it to frontpage please

if as a graduate you have to come to Nairaland to ask the pros and cons of a 2:2, then sadly I can only question the quality of the 2:2 you obtained and of the school you attended. God help this country with these sorts of graduates!!!

1 Like

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by peacockremi(m): 7:41am On Nov 14, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
The peak is in you!

peak milk ....I guess
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Donny2060: 7:42am On Nov 14, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

if the 2.2 is above 3GPA grade.
he can comfortably have his masters program in almost all the university in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by femi4: 7:43am On Nov 14, 2017
spencekat:
Depending on his CGPA.Most schools don't admit intending Masters students who didn't get 3.0 and above in their first degrees.The only option in this situation is to enrol for PG.
Did he tell you that his gp is less than 3.0
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by IkpuMmadu: 7:47am On Nov 14, 2017
Gentlemedi:
Some have given great advice but when you tell him to learn new skills, please be more specific, so that you don't confuse him the more.

He has to find that path himself....he should do what we call SWOT analysis

InfinixMine:

Nice motivation sir!

Sir, I'm a computer science graduate and I have 2 years plus experience in IT field support. Can I forward my CV to you for a job placement? Thanks Sir in advance.

I think ...I will advise you to start learning coding....non computer Scientist are doing coding...I am an arts student and I know a bit...the future is software....don't wait for job, get skills ..I will advise you to go into robotics, software development or AI that's the future.....learn how to write codes and you will be sought after . You will have your own software development firm VC will come after you...the future of labour today is enterpreuer...that's the future...machine are taking over most jobs...your degree might be useless if you don't learn any job

Take this from.ab experienced man

1 Like

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by spencekat(m): 7:50am On Nov 14, 2017
femi4:
Did he tell you that his gp is less than 3.0
He didn't specify
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by IkpuMmadu: 7:52am On Nov 14, 2017
geometricaxis:

if as a graduate you have to come to Nairaland to ask the pros and cons of a 2:2, then sadly I can only question the quality of the 2:2 you obtained and of the school you attended. God help this country with these sorts of graduates!!!
���that's what I was thinking...most graduates these days lack that analytical skills and self confidence.

It is disturbing...where school drop outs are making millions running businesses ...he should go to computer village, Alaba , Surulere and see what they are doing....

It's disturbing...maybe I should have advised him to graduate with 2.2 and find a bowl and head to a street corner and start begging
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 14, 2017
here we go again...another thread on how miserable the rest of your life would be for having a low grade certificate..is about time you all learn from life itself and history .one's sucess has and never would be bound to what a piece of paper says about you but to how you see yourself and how ready you are to work for what you want.yea in a backward country like ours we wld always ask for the certificate first and ignore competency,creativity,skills and all other qualities needed to get the job done aslong as the paper says first class or 2.1 yes! we get a hard on and delude ourselves that that individual is more suitable than the rest and its not always so in most cases surely it is good to have good grades if you can go for it its worth it if not dont let a number on a sheet of paper be what determine the level of your life.strive everyday to be a better version of yourself work hard,realy hard on whatever you set out to achieve and never be afraid to fail or start again.with such a drive and attitude theres nothing you wont be able to achieve.

1 Like

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by otabuko(m): 7:55am On Nov 14, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
Oga, don't say what you're not sure of. Second class lower can't do masters? Why? Says who. With a CGPA of 3.0 and above, you'd comfortably do masters in any school in Nigeria.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 14, 2017
Oildichotomy:
Most people up there have said what need to be said.
Learn a skill especially soft IT skills and get on with life.
I'm thinking of getting me a laptop after NYSC, enlighten me about soft IT skills, what are the examples?
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Prestdude: 8:11am On Nov 14, 2017
This should end your worries OP.... I have so many people in my Msc class with 2.2, most didn't have up to 3.0 point as most people are suggesting, and they are doing well... And this is University of Nigeria.. instead of coming online and give wrong information, do your research well first...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 14, 2017
Bukky001:
Please my people, I just checked my result now and found out that I had 2.2. (second class lower). I need your contributions on the pros and cons of graduating with such grade. I look forward to your contributions. Thanks. Please MOD help me shift it to frontpage please

A, 2.2 cgpa in my school is third class.

But as for Pro and cons, How many first class graduate get work
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by idris4r83(m): 8:13am On Nov 14, 2017
Hozier:
There are no pros, just cons. Your chances of succeeding depends on how smart you are and how you utilize it in managing the cons.
of cos anything that has a cons also has a pros. 2nd class lower will ginger him to struggle more to secure a nice job. It will also make him to put all his efforts at work so as to impress his employer. Am still yet to find a federal government job where the entry requirement forbids second class lower.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Barzinime(m): 8:15am On Nov 14, 2017
If you dont know anything....its better not to say
tensazangetsu20:

1 Like

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Barney11: 8:22am On Nov 14, 2017
No grades in the real world!,I graduated with it I am with FIRS.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by lx3as(m): 8:24am On Nov 14, 2017
PotatoSalad:
Do you have skills? It's all that matters. I know someone with first class but na only book him sabi, no skill, and he finds it difficult to get job.
Graduated with 3.47 and I'm doing fine, so...

I also graduated with 3.49; painful then, for I was plainly denied what I deserved, but now no regret whatsoever!

2 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by osayuwamwen(m): 8:26am On Nov 14, 2017
Who grade help, connection is what matters, as long as you can read, write and speak couple with your certificate
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Oildichotomy(m): 8:31am On Nov 14, 2017
IAmFreeman:
I'm thinking of getting me a laptop after NYSC, enlighten me about soft IT skills, what are the examples?
The soft skills needed in IT revolves around social, people and communication skills and this plays out more is the digital marketing space.
Careers like
Copywriting
Social media marketing
Content
etc are widely sourced for in the industry and to cap it all, it is always a starter skill to have when you are ready to go the entrepreneurial route.
If you are technical person then go into coding, graphics.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Chyxki: 8:35am On Nov 14, 2017
Disadvantage: You are most likely to be invited to apply for fewer good opportunities. However, you might just be lucky to take a good chance.

Advantage: You realise a lot earlier than the majority of 2.1s and 1st class that everyone is on his own, and that a good entrepreneur is many times the employer of some of the best minds.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 14, 2017
Hmm
LOL,

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by babatee1985(m): 8:42am On Nov 14, 2017
I always laugh in Chinese anytime I read posts like this. One simple truth is that most of we successful businessmen in Nigeria are either an illiterate, or 2.2, 3rd class or pass graduate. This kinda result won't make you searching for job, u will think of what kinda business u can do to survive coz u will believe that nobody will employ u. I'm a 2.2 graduate and a very successful businessman. Most jobless graduates are the ones with good results coz they believe in getting a good job with their certificate than going into business. @Op just venture into any lucrative business and you will see that 1st class graduates will submit their CV on your desk for employment. Peace out.

2 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by rosalieene(f): 8:42am On Nov 14, 2017
Prestdude:
This should end your worries OP.... I have so many people in my Msc class with 2.2, most didn't have up to 3.0 point as most people are suggesting, and they are doing well... And this is University of Nigeria.. instead of coming online and give wrong information, do your research well first...

seems like Unn don't use the results of the PG exam to give admission right?
Heard it's just for ur transcript to get to the appropriate place... how true is this

I applied Already and really hope to be in the first batch list of M. Sc admission.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Crazy Things You Did In High School? / AAU Lecturer Flogs Students For Coming Late For An Exam(Photos) / My Daughter's Teacher Asked Them To Write "Who Is Evans?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.