Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,280 members, 7,807,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out (41627 Views)

Injustice At Workplace; Should I Resign Or Hang On? / Sacked 3 Weeks After Resumption. Lawyers Help! / Osun Lawyers In Suit Cutting Grasses (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by LegitBoyy: 3:05pm On Jun 07, 2020
Nickyblithe:
Hello lawyers.

Please i have a question though its for my younger sister presently studying law. What other professional certifications she can acquire to give her an edge when she gradates that relates to your field. That is for example, i studied accounting and presently i'm a chartered accountant. She told me of Institute of Chartered Mediators & Conciliators. But i don't know if its the right one and best certification or there is another that has an upper hand than this. Please expecting a response.

Thank you

Since she is still in the University, the best she can do is to focus on her studies and graduate with a very good grade and also try to repeat the same feat at the Nigerian Law School. If she must do something else, tell her to work on WRITING skill because it will go a long way. My advise is borne out of the fact that certifications have little or no effect on your career as a legal practitioner until you want to specialize. All she needs to get a competitive advantage is a good LL.B certificate, B.L and proper networking.

Though she can consider ICSAN (Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators of Nigeria) certification is she wants to go into company secretarial and in-house roles but she can do that after her call. Her best bet for now are good grades and personal development in communication and networking.

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by chanseroo(m): 2:14am On Jun 08, 2020
This is for real. Sign up for free and earn $25 .Then follow the instructions.This site has been paying me.
How to apply:Click the link below
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Nickyblithe: 3:25am On Jun 11, 2020
Thank you so much @legitboyy
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 5:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
Nickyblithe:
Hello lawyers.

Please i have a question though its for my younger sister presently studying law. What other professional certifications she can acquire to give her an edge when she gradates that relates to your field. That is for example, i studied accounting and presently i'm a chartered accountant. She told me of Institute of Chartered Mediators & Conciliators. But i don't know if its the right one and best certification or there is another that has an upper hand than this. Please expecting a response.

Thank you
Taxation
Arbitration
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 5:56pm On Jun 15, 2020
A growing law firm in Abuja has a slot for a lawyer of 4 to 6 years post call. Must be integrated in litigation and must have at least 3 years post call experience in litigation. Starting salary is between 80k to 100k.

Please dm me before the end of the month.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Klass99(f): 6:35pm On Jun 15, 2020

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 10:11pm On Jun 15, 2020
Klass99:

undecided, Does the legal profession pay this low, for experienced hires?

My neighbor's cousin finished NYSC last quarter of 2019, she earns 110k with benefits as a front desk/admin person.

It's her first job since graduation. I saw her offer letter with the pay breakdown.

And no she's not with a multinational just a regular non-profit foundation
Well, I'd say yes and no. Each depending on the law firm, its client base and capacity. I know firms that pay as low as 20k and I know those that pay as high as 400k. The firm here is a medium firm that started a few years ago. I just felt it is better for someone to have this than to have nothing. My firm pays a considerably decent wage, housing allowance, quarterly bonus and car allowance, but can't wait till such opportunity comes before I reach out to those who badly need a job. By the way, it didn't start particularly attractive at the beginning where I am too. Generally, the legal profession is struggling with the issues of low pay.

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Klass99(f): 9:02am On Jun 16, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 3:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
Klass99:

This low pay issue is one of the reasons my friend and classmate from college refused to practice after law school.She repeatedly said the legal profession/law firms don't pay well.

She veered off the legal path completely, tried to go back to it at some point, but she was so far gone it was a challenge to return, she currently works s an EA with a pay of 300k net.
Many left because of the issue of pay and are better off. While some left, made the money and realised that the fulfilment was not there as their mates eventually scaled through the rough edges, made names, fame and even wealth. Some even left because of the low pay and ended up not making the money and also losing out on the things that money cannot buy. My counsel to lawyers who seek my view is: "the money you want to chase, is it sure?" If he says yes. I tell them to go for it, make it and come back to use the money to service their passion in legal practice. That way it is a win-win situation.

I am young at the bar too (5-7) years and when I started, I had the chance of jumping ships for non-law related entities and making money, but I knew I won't be fulfilled. Law is my passion. And I believe that I can do it, become a god in the art and make a fortune. True to it, the low days are gone. The high days are not here, but careerwise and as per funds, I think I'm doing well.

6 Likes

Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Etinosa1234: 8:17pm On Jun 16, 2020
I'm a 300lvl Law student in Uniben...
I'm following this thread Sha for any information needed
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Klass99(f): 9:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 9:48pm On Jun 16, 2020
Klass99:

Hmm! This was good to know.

My friend lacks the passion you have for legal work and the profession.

She doesn't regret studying law though, because according to her it opens doors of opportunities in non-legal fields.

All the best.
Thanks.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by AngryArmani: 8:35am On Jun 17, 2020
Good morning Hidentity. I'm so sorry, just saw your post. I can't access the email address linked to my nairaland account. Do I just type my issue here or would you prefer an alternative?
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 12:08pm On Jun 17, 2020
AngryArmani:
Good morning Hidentity. I'm so sorry, just saw your post. I can't access the email address linked to my nairaland account. Do I just type my issue here or would you prefer an alternative?
Please, type it here if there are no sensitive and confidential details.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by deriana: 5:01pm On Jun 17, 2020
Hello Hidentity, I tried sending you a mail but was unable to do that. I will appreciate if there is an alternative way to contact you
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 5:34pm On Jun 17, 2020
deriana:
Hello Hidentity, I tried sending you a mail but was unable to do that. I will appreciate if there is an alternative way to contact you
Hi, Deriana. I think the mail eventually came through. I just did a reply mail. So, you can send messages now.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by AkwaIbomMan(m): 4:40am On Jul 31, 2020
deriana:
are you a lawyer?
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by AkwaIbomMan(m): 4:41am On Jul 31, 2020
AngryArmani:
Hi. I'm a 400l law student who's facing an academic issu which I fear might affect my chances of going to law school. I wonder if I could ask the most esteemed lawyers here for advice @ Hidentity
what is the issue you're facing?
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by deriana: 8:45am On Jul 31, 2020
AkwaIbomMan:
are you a lawyer?
Yes I am
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by AkwaIbomMan(m): 8:55am On Jul 31, 2020
deriana:
Yes I am
okay you can as well share your ideas or question here. Thanks
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by deriana: 11:26am On Jul 31, 2020
AkwaIbomMan:
okay you can as well share your ideas or question here.
Thanks
Okay. You are welcome.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Mehravelli(m): 12:27pm On Aug 22, 2020
Hidentity:
Hi, Lawyers.

I created this group to serve as an avenue for young lawyers to meet, share ideas and learn. Also, it can afford corps members who are lawyers, law students at the university and law school students the opportunity for internship and externship in law firms of members here. It may also help lawyers going through the glitches of unemployment, underemployment and less encouraging careers to talk to colleagues who may inspire them with experience, notify them of vacancies, help them proffer answers to the pressing needs of clients and help with securing jobs (if possible) in their firms.

There is also room for lawyers in the same region, city or town to meet up for professional purposes, friendship, personal reasons or any other lawful dealings of their choice. Non-lawyers may also make use of this opportunity to contact lawyers and discuss their various legal dilemmas either pro-bono or as may be agreed by parties.

Experiences as per demands of legal practice, job search, Court room experience, office situations can also be shared to serve as points of information for other lawyers and aspiring lawyers.

NOTE: This post and subsequent ones do not amount to a promise of job for anyone. It is only an attempt to bring lawyers together, make friends and lend helping hands to fellow lawyers. No one should part with any money or gift on the ground of promise of job. Individuals are also advised against meeting people not well known to them in private places.

Let us start.

I am a legal practitioner.
Year at the Bar: 4 years
Areas of practice: Dispute resolution (Litigation and Arbitration), Oil and Gas law, Election matters, Intellectual Property and Maritime law.
Areas of further interest: Space law, Medical law, Project finance and Taxation
City/Place of practice: Abuja.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by DamoclesCandles: 3:14pm On Oct 04, 2020
Hello everyone. I'm currently a student of one of the Nigerian universities. I was recently rusticated for examination malpractice. I'm to resume soon and I'm curious as to the effects this would have on my career. Will prospective employers ask that I provide a reason for my long stay in school? Will it affect my chances of going to law school? I've been beating myself up over my actions and I realize that knowing what comes next will be a helping factor in moving along. I'll be most appreciative of whatever answers I can get. @hidentity
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 12:34am On Oct 05, 2020
DamoclesCandles:
Hello everyone. I'm currently a student of one of the Nigerian universities. I was recently rusticated for examination malpractice. I'm to resume soon and I'm curious as to the effects this would have on my career. Will prospective employers ask that I provide a reason for my long stay in school? Will it affect my chances of going to law school? I've been beating myself up over my actions and I realize that knowing what comes next will be a helping factor in moving along. I'll be most appreciative of whatever answers I can get. @hidentity

For your career, it would most likely not affect you, except your school decides to lodge a proper criminal complaint and it leads to you being prosecuted and convicted. This scenario is unlikely because I do not know anybody or heard of anybody who was rusticated and then charged to court. Turning a new leaf and obtaining great grades might help you in your career as employers would be more interested in what you possess and what you have to offer, than your history in school. If you were in UK or USA, it might be different. However, there is a major bridge between you and a great career in law- THE LAW SCHOOL.

Except the practice has changed, there is a place in the law school form where you would be asked if you've committed a criminal offence before and if you were convicted. In another place, they would ask if you were ever caught for examination malpractice in school. I do not know the decision they would take if a person answers either or both in the positive. However, I suspect that it might stand on your way. Maybe with more details and facts, I might be able to explain better.

All the best.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by DamoclesCandles: 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2020
Hidentity:

For your career, it would most likely not affect you, except your school decides to lodge a proper criminal complaint and it leads to you being prosecuted and convicted. This scenario is unlikely because I do not know anybody or heard of anybody who was rusticated and then charged to court. Turning a new leaf and obtaining great grades might help you in your career as employers would be more interested in what you possess and what you have to offer, than your history in school. If you were in UK or USA, it might be different. However, there is a major bridge between you and a great career in law- THE LAW SCHOOL.

Except the practice has changed, there is a place in the law school form where you would be asked if you've committed a criminal offence before and if you were convicted. In another place, they would ask if you were ever caught for examination malpractice in school. I do not know the decision they would take if a person answers either or both in the positive. However, I suspect that it might stand on your way. Maybe with more details and facts, I might be able to explain better.

All the best.

Thank you so much
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by spongebob0006(f): 3:00pm On Oct 05, 2020
Hello, please is anyone here very conversant with Probate Registry, Ogun State. What procedures and documents are involved? How long Letter of Administration processing takes and can hospital death certificate be used to process LA in Ogun State? Also, where is the Probate Registry at Ogun State? Thank you.

PS: The deceased died since 2016, the family is now ready to do LA but in Ogun State.
I am very conversant with Probate, Lagos State but the duration for the LA processing takes time.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by caketake3: 3:51pm On Oct 27, 2020
Good afternoon Colleagues,
Please I am in search of job opportunity and should you be able to help, I will be grateful. I am done with service this month. Thank you.

cc @hidentity

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 5:40pm On Oct 30, 2020
Treat as urgent.

A new law firm owned by a senior advocate in Abuja needs a lawyer of 5 to 7 years post call to head it.
The lawyer must be very vast in litigation and procedural law.
The lawyer must be resident in Abuja or willing to relocate at his own expense.

Interested persons should indicate under this post within 2 weeks.
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Uzzygreat(f): 10:43pm On Oct 31, 2020
Hidentity:
Treat as urgent.

A new law firm owned by a senior advocate in Abuja needs a lawyer of 5 to 7 years post call to head it.
The lawyer must be very vast in litigation and procedural law.
The lawyer must be resident in Abuja or willing to relocate at his own expense.

Interested persons should indicate under this post within 2 weeks.

I'm a Benin city-based lawyer, with 5 years at the bar. I have 5 years experience in litigation, real estate, and more. I'm available for this job and willing to relocate at my expense.

I'm Male
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Hidentity(m): 5:50pm On Nov 01, 2020
Uzzygreat:

I'm a Benin city-based lawyer, with 5 years at the bar. I have 5 years experience in litigation, real estate, and more. I'm available for this job and willing to relocate at my expense.

I'm Male

But why are you operating with a female identity?
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by Uzzygreat(f): 2:02pm On Nov 08, 2020
I'm chatting with my friends ID..

If you don't mind can we chat through email?
Re: Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out by HotPoundedYam(m): 5:49pm On Nov 08, 2020
Hidentity:

Many left because of the issue of pay and are better off. While some left, made the money and realised that the fulfilment was not there as their mates eventually scaled through the rough edges, made names, fame and even wealth. Some even left because of the low pay and ended up not making the money and also losing out on the things that money cannot buy. My counsel to lawyers who seek my view is: "the money you want to chase, is it sure?" If he says yes. I tell them to go for it, make it and come back to use the money to service their passion in legal practice. That way it is a win-win situation.

I am young at the bar too (5-7) years and when I started, I had the chance of jumping ships for non-law related entities and making money, but I knew I won't be fulfilled. Law is my passion. And I believe that I can do it, become a god in the art and make a fortune. True to it, the low days are gone. The high days are not here, but careerwise and as per funds, I think I'm doing well.
nice

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

The Ranking Structure Of The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) / Sade Adenuga Is Now A Barrister & Solicitor Of The Supreme Court Of Nigeria / This 24-year-old Makes Millions Playing FIFA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.