Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) - Art, Graphics & Video (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) (71832 Views)

Paul Allen: Late Microsoft Co-founder's Art Collection Sells For $1.5 Billion / Chinese Vase Valued Below $2,000 Sells For Nearly $9 Million After Bidding War / Adejoke Lasisi Makes A Portrait Of Ooni Of Ife With Pure Water Sachets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by zibe(m): 8:44pm On Nov 16, 2017
Eaa247:
Money being wasted when poverty and diseases are ravaging a greater number of the world's population
May ppl b conscious enough to help one another!!!

Stop the entitlement mentality. No one owes you or the world anything.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by sisisioge: 9:02pm On Nov 16, 2017
Vado:

Have you seen Jesus before Sisi? wink

Buddy mi...Jesus has to be seriously handsome ni. No other feasible option cheesy

Howdy?
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 9:04pm On Nov 16, 2017
LordAdam16:

Everyone who has ever had an issue with my nick has proven to be intimidated by the coherence of my thought process.

You seem to think the sun rises from your backside. This self adulatory writing of yours only betrays a shallow mind. No profound thinker goes about with such a smirk on his face.

And the proof is that while I actually explain why I think you were wrong, you used four paragraphs to say nothing about the point I raised but your opinion of me.

Nope, I pointed out that it would require a certain sensitivity to reality to appreciate the point. It is obvious that you lack that sensitivity.

Now, if you could catch a breath and put your thinking cap on, could you explain why it is immoral to spend half a billion on a noteworthy investment that would CERTAINLY beat inflation unlike many other investments

There is absolutely no guarantee that the purchase would be a profitable investment my friend. That is an assumption. Indeed you have assumed already, as you are wont to do, that the purchase is an investment at all. By what exact science do you conclude that it has not been purchased by a a reclusive eccentric collector for some other esoteric reason?

and it isn't immoral that people could choose to go for two days without drinking beer to feed helpless people for a year but wouldn't?

I don't know why you imagine I am obligated to address any fancy that your warped mind might choose to throw up. Anyone can imagine any cut back that could help others. Why don't we all stop buying socks for one week. That should save a fortune for the needy, no?

I hope you can see how asinine and st.upid your example is. It is meaningless to simply point out any random activity and ask why people have not stopped it in order to save for charity. That betrays a stunning lack of appreciation of many factors of the dynamics of every day existence. It is altogether different when one sees a person decide to purchase a pair of shoes for example for a million dollars. It is not out of place to consider such a singular act excessive and thoughtless. If you had as much sensitivity as Bill Gates does, you would understand that. There are many fabulously wealthy people who are sensitive enough to see something wrong with such acts in a deprived world such as ours. However as I noted before - and I carefully note again - the world is full of insensitive folk who understand nothing, so I am not surprised. It is only natural that one calling himself "Lord" will have the sort of gutter class opinion you have here.

Oh and this is the definition of moralist:

You come on a public forum to bash a high-value sale of art on the basis of "morality" and you think that definition is not spot-on about you?

-Lord

Oh shat ap, Idiat..
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Pheals(f): 9:06pm On Nov 16, 2017
Nbote:
There's definitely a whole lot more to dat painting dan jus d picture if not how would anyone bid almost half a billion dollars for a painting. In my mind I'm already picturing Illuminati trying to use Robert Langdon to find d code hidden in d painting

U know its still too early to start with ur lies, wait till d sun comes up... They're actually getting boring
I thought I was the only fan of Dan brown! Following him back to back
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by grandstar(m): 9:06pm On Nov 16, 2017
Queenlovely:
My uncle would have used thugs or charm to silence other buyers. Then he would have gotten it for free.

He bought a house at Victoria island lagos for just 150 thousand Naira only as against the original 50 million. How he did it still remains a puzzle to me

I am sure in 1975, a house in Victoria Island was not more than @150,000.

My father was lent 60_000 which he used in constructing twin duplex of 5 bedrooms each in Alausa. The house was completed in 1981.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Nbote(m): 9:12pm On Nov 16, 2017
Pheals:
I thought I was the only fan of Dan brown! Following him back to back

A friend of mine made me appreciate d genius of his books... We are d only ones who can laugh at d conspiracy theorists and their illuminati fixation
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:14pm On Nov 16, 2017
Nbote:
There's definitely a whole lot more to dat painting dan jus d picture if not how would anyone bid almost half a billion dollars for a painting. In my mind I'm already picturing Illuminati trying to use Robert Langdon to find d code hidden in d painting

U know its still too early to start with ur lies, wait till d sun comes up... They're actually getting boring

Robert Langdon! cheesy
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Sanctecosma(m): 9:14pm On Nov 16, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:

See you, most of his work are rumoured to have secret codes and maps. Do you think people are that stupid? Ordinarily art is life

... Secret codes and map that lead to nowhere than damnation
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 9:15pm On Nov 16, 2017
Benbobola:
Da Vinci never made an art without some secrets embedded within it. He remains the the greatest Cryptologist the world has ever know. Why do you think the person who bought it is anonymous... There is more to that painting than half a billion dollars. There are still secrets to be uncovered in this world like Queen Sheba's wealth, King Solomon's gold and so many others. The quest continue for a lot of adventurers out there. I believe that money is small compared to what Mr Anonymous will gain from it.

Look, Leo Da Vinci is one of my favorite men of all time, and I agree with the fact that he was into encrypting codes and secrets and suggestions. However did it miss you that this work has been hanging around for quite a while and was even purchased at some stage in its career for $60? Do you know that there is an entire industry built around stories woven around art works? Do you know what extents art dealers would go to to hoax up the value of a work? Would it surprise you if that work is a very well kept fake with a very well kept story woven around its history and transportation? ? ? ?

Now to codes and encryptions and all that. What sort of codes and encyrptions do you think Leo knew of that would be so valuable in the modern world? Knights Templar? Royal Blood of Jesus? Holy Grail? Ark of the Covenant? The Tablets from Mount Sinai? Solomon's Sceptre? Christ's D.ick? Come on.

3 Likes

Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by grandstar(m): 9:18pm On Nov 16, 2017
adwem2003:
I'm I the only one who thinks this is madness?
Also, see it as an investment.

The buyer may not spend more than 10% of his own money. A bank will lend him the rest at the rate of about 2% yearly.

In 10years time, the painting will be worth at least $1b.

Let's calculate his profit

His own equity: $45m
2% yearly in on $405m for 10years: $81m

His total investment: $126m

If the painting sells for $1,000,000,000
Minus $ 81,000,000
$ 405,000,000
$ 45,000,000
Total profit. $ 469,000,000

So, for an investment of $126,000,000 of his own money, he has made a gross profit of $469,000,000

Not bad

1 Like

Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Pheals(f): 9:18pm On Nov 16, 2017
Nbote:

A friend of mine made me appreciate d genius of his books... We are d only ones who can laugh at d conspiracy theorists and their illuminati fixation
am
Sanctecosma:

he was a great thriller, am tired of convincing people most Africans! Should I say Nigerians about secret societies especially the world class... Am only left with one Dan brown novel that I haven't read... Digital fortress! And the newly released origin
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by CloudResident(m): 9:19pm On Nov 16, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:

See you, most of his work are rumoured to have secret codes and maps. Do you think people are that stupid? Ordinarily art is life

You garrit Bro. Check it out -Mona Lisa, da Vinci code even the last super all have secret codes and maps embedded in them all.
This definitely is not an exception. lipsrsealed

Same for Michel Angelo..
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Nbote(m): 9:23pm On Nov 16, 2017
PrimadonnaO:

Robert Langdon! cheesy
grin cheesy
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 9:24pm On Nov 16, 2017
CloudResident:

You garrit Bro. Check it out -Mona Lisa,

Please share with us the secret of the Mona Lisa.
Thank you.

{PS: It will not be helpful to state that you do not know the secret, but still insist that there is a secret}
Thank you again.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Bakrabas: 9:24pm On Nov 16, 2017
Some just like worshiping the death man on the cross shaaa
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 9:25pm On Nov 16, 2017
grandstar:

In 10years time, the painting will be worth at least $1b.

Who in J.P. Morgan Chase have you been consulting with.
Can you tell me by what exact science you have reached this conclusion?
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 9:26pm On Nov 16, 2017
Bakrabas:
Some just like worshiping the death man on the cross shaaa

This one is just art dealers hoaxing up the value of a work. They are experts at doing that. Much of its history might even be made up.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 9:31pm On Nov 16, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:

Please don't assume that just because its bought for half a billion dollars, there is some special secret that the buyer is after. The buyer could just as easily be a filthy rich Saudi Prince or some other corrupt billionaire anywhere in the world who is stacking up on his ego and nothing else.

Sometime ago right here in Nigeria Theophilus Danjuma fessed up to selling an Oil Block for One Billion Dollars and not knowing what to do with the money. He then used half of it to set up a Charity.

Believe me you'd be surprised that someone could buy that thing just for the heck of it and to impress peeps around him.

1 Like

Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by cyrilamx(m): 9:41pm On Nov 16, 2017
But michelangelo's sistine chapel's painting...the last judgement is way too valuable than it...go read about him...
Benbobola:

Yes but Da Vinci edges Michaelangelo with his ability in cryptography. He dint just draw. He was a master strategist and builder.
And like you said, TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 9:44pm On Nov 16, 2017
cyrilamx:
But michelangelo's sistine chapel's painting...the last judgement is way too valuable than it...go read about him...

Well, true. Imagine the Catholic Church wanted to sell that off?
Chai.

One trillion Dollars or more.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by naijacartoon: 10:03pm On Nov 16, 2017
Behind the money figures.. It pays to be creative, do what you love with all that is in you and the reward will be amazing.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by nextstep(m): 10:21pm On Nov 16, 2017
10-20 years, it could be sold again for $600m. The real winners in this are the auction houses, auctioning the same thing over and over from different sellers and making money on the commission. Is it not the same auction house that will sell it in a few years?
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by centboy123456(m): 10:29pm On Nov 16, 2017
WizAkzy:
Nonsense. How did he know That was how Jesus looked like. If the painting had the real skin color, it would never be sold for quarter of that price. Jesus was never white, don't let the media deceive you. Go and do in depth study and research.

I have read somewhere and dey said Jesus is black not this people make us believe Jesus is white u fit any link so I can go check out my self
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by lereinter(m): 10:41pm On Nov 16, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:

da vinci code

all those mystical books
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by LordAdam16: 10:59pm On Nov 16, 2017
DeepSight:

You seem to think the sun rises from your backside. This self adulatory writing of yours only betrays a shallow mind. No profound thinker goes about with such a smirk on his face.

Nope, I pointed out that it would require a certain sensitivity to reality to appreciate the point. It is obvious that you lack that sensitivity.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the purchase would be a profitable investment my friend. That is an assumption. Indeed you have assumed already, as you are wont to do, that the purchase is an investment at all. By what exact science do you conclude that it has not been purchased by a a reclusive eccentric collector for some other esoteric reason?

I don't know why you imagine I am obligated to address any fancy that your warped mind might choose to throw up. Anyone can imagine any cut back that could help others. Why don't we all stop buying socks for one week. That should save a fortune for the needy, no?

I hope you can see how asinine and st.upid your example is. It is meaningless to simply point out any random activity and ask why people have not stopped it in order to save for charity. That betrays a stunning lack of appreciation of many factors of the dynamics of every day existence. It is altogether different when one sees a person decide to purchase a pair of shoes for example for a million dollars. It is not out of place to consider such a singular act excessive and thoughtless. If you had as much sensitivity as Bill Gates does, you would understand that. There are many fabulously wealthy people who are sensitive enough to see something wrong with such acts in a deprived world such as ours. However as I noted before - and I carefully note again - the world is full of insensitive folk who understand nothing, so I am not surprised. It is only natural that one calling himself "Lord" will have the sort of gutter class opinion you have here.

Oh shat ap, Idiat..

You are trash!

You think mudslinging=intelligence?

Anyone who has $450m lying around isn't dumb. It could have been bought by a Russian Oligarch, Arab Royalty, or a Rotschild? Whoever it is, this isn't his/her first buy, and s/he DEFINITELY has an idea about the intrinsic value of high-end art.

And you want to tell me that the last privately held work of art by Leonardo da Vinci WILL not appreciate? Has there been any top-value work of art by da Vinci that hasn't appreciated consistently for the past 1500 years? If that isn't enough proof that it would go up in price, what is?

Are you MAD?! Or you get off on appearing st*pid in public!

Buying that work of art is way better than keeping the monetary equivalent in the bank. It is older than America and has consistently risen in value. In 500 years time, it'd still be valuable, while the dollar may be history. And like all high-valued buys, it does come with its bragging rights. But whatever may be the owner's primary reason for buying it, it isn't a waste and it isn't excessive. And if it is put up for sale in a few decades time as it likely would, for any reason whatsoever, the owner or his/her protege would make a hefty premium on it. Again, regardless of his/her esoteric reason for getting it in the first place.

Next, unlike buying socks that actually address a need, beers do not address a need. And people buy beers 98% of the time for pleasure. See how inherently st*pid you are. Making a comparison between a sock and beer?

And no, I wasn't saying why people haven't stopped. I simply said, why can't you think of running a campaign so we all don't take beer for only one weekend to address the yearly needs of IDPs. ONE WEEKEND. Not stop completely. ONLY ONE WEEKEND that wouldn't kill anyone (well, probably except addicts). Can you even f*cking comprehend, you bl**ping ret*rd!

And then you use Bill Gates as a model of sensitivity? Why? Because he's pledged to give most of his wealth to charity when he passes on? He effing bought the properties of five of his neighbors for $28m mainly so his daughter could train for her pro horse riding. Are you going to tell me too that all the Olympic equestrian gold medalists needed $28m worth of real estate to become good at what they did?

Less than 10 years ago the painting that just sold for $450m was sold for around $125m. Nothing would making that Bill's $28m spend quadruple in value untouched within the same time period unless for some earth-shattering reason.

Or is it because he is a better known philanthropist? The Rotschilds are famous anonymous collectors of art and have been part of a lot of the buys in the last two centuries. They're worth at least $500b. They've donated billions in art, buildings, and endowments. And if hypothetically, a member of their clan got this painting, would you then call the Rotschilds insensitive?

All you f*ckfaces thinking anyone owes you sh*t because you are unfortunate need to get a reality check. The guy who got the painting probably has business interests spanning several countries employing tens of thousands of people. With indirect impact on hundreds of thousands more. Those are people above the poverty line because s/he is adept at running a business that didn't become one of the 90% of businesses that fail within 5 years.

Yet all of that is lost on you because s/he paid $400m for a painting THAT'S WORTH EVERY CENT. Pray tell, $1 trillion+ of illicit outflows has left Africa in the last 60 years. None of the cretinous f*cktards who did the pillaging were hounded. They all get cozy once in a year in Addis Ababba blowing steam off and laughing at your collective stupidity and you self-righteous pr*ck haven't started a campaign to hound any of them. No sub-Saharan spring or fall or summer or winter for that matter. And you think it is someone else's responsibility to take care of the same people that you imbec*les rape, siphon from and pay blind eye to.

How many times have aid for IDPs been siphoned and diverted? How many protests have happened to demonstrate outcry? Or you think it's just sitting behind the keyboard like a mor*nic couch potato with a myopic sense of what others should do without doing anything noteworthy yourself. Self-entitled goo-faced sh*thead arm-chair moralist!

BAST*RD!

Continue replying me, see how far you can go displaying your flagrant id*ocy!

-Lord

1 Like

Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by fidet1(m): 11:27pm On Nov 16, 2017
adwem2003:
I'm I the only one who thinks this is madness?

AM I? It is ‘Am I’, not I’m I, please.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Paulpaulpaul(m): 11:32pm On Nov 16, 2017
Sanctecosma:

Damwatin? We are talking of treasure and religious upliftment you are talking of damnation. The secret you need for success is hidden somewhere, dig till you find it.

God gave Daniel a secret and asked him to keep sealed, He said the same to John in Revelation. Don't you think knowing that may give us a higher hope?
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by gozzlin: 11:33pm On Nov 16, 2017
Queenlovely:
My uncle would have used thugs or charm to silence other buyers. Then he would have gotten it for free.

He bought a house at Victoria island lagos for just 150 thousand Naira only as against the original 50 million. How he did it still remains a puzzle to me

Sometimes I wonder if the guy behind this moniker is mad or just pretending to be mad. Weird comments everywhere.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by mayowa558: 11:34pm On Nov 16, 2017
Money being wasted when poverty and diseases are ravaging a greater number of the world's population
May ppl b conscious enough to help one another!!!

Do you know whether he is helping some people outside there?
BTW it's not everyone that will help...people worked for their money.

Don't judge people!
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by gozzlin: 11:36pm On Nov 16, 2017
The person in the portrait is wearing a female dress tho.
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Paulpaulpaul(m): 11:39pm On Nov 16, 2017
DeepSight:

Please share with us the secret of the Mona Lisa.
Thank you.

{PS: It will not be helpful to state that you do not know the secret, but still insist that there is a secret}
Thank you again.

Mona Lisa has a room of her own and she can not be sold or bought. We have not seen her with our naked eyes but record has it that there are tiny letters and numbers on her pupils. Those could only be seen with magnifying lens
Re: 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) by Paulpaulpaul(m): 11:43pm On Nov 16, 2017
Pheals:
am he was a great thriller, am tired of convincing people most Africans! Should I say Nigerians about secret societies especially the world class... Am only left with one Dan brown novel that I haven't read... Digital fortress! And the newly released origin

I've Digital Fortress but I never validated the claim, I said rumoured. Good to hear you're a fan of Dan Brown.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Alex Peter, Nigerian Artist Who Draws With Razor Blade On Wood. Photos / Female Artists Staring At A Nude Man Standing In Front Of Them (Photos) / Adejoke Lasisi Makes A Portrait Of Ooni Of Ife With Pure Water Sachets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.