Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,891 members, 7,806,594 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? (20292 Views)

Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / How To Add Numbers To Airtel Family And Friends 2019 / How To Create New Whatsapp With Free Foreign Phone Numbers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by habsydiamond(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2017
Why is it that Nigeria govt is not organised at all. But the public and the private joust do things on their own without carrying the citizens along. In short these people no send us oo. All they know is profit into their own pockets...
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by saydfact(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2017
He's using an internet call app.....

2 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by boneruns(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2017
I was confused to see that it was a Nigerian phone number after having a phone conversation with an American tertiary institution based in US.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by triple996(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2017
Just passing by
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Harrychocoberry(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2017
Please your friend is innocent, do not give heed to anyone saying your friend is a G-boy.
The issue is that your friend is using a call card activation digits to get in contact with you.
He's not doing anything illegal, most times call cards like RAZA and BOSS REVOLUTION do have such intermission process for local lines in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Evergreen4(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2017
It's true, my sister had same experience this week. Someone called her from outside naija. But It was a 0705 that displayed on her phone. She was even asking the person if he was in Nigeria and he said no
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Carinaflo(f): 7:07am On Nov 17, 2017
The most annoying part is that when you try calling the numbers back, the network will keep telling you that the number is incorrect. I nearly missed a great opportunity because of this issue
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by shevon: 7:07am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:
Your friend is probably a G boy.
His friend is not a G boy, I have noticed the same thing too. My friends in Canada, US and UK call me often and 8 out of every 10 times they call, I see a local number. I've asked and they say they don't know why their numbers are showing like that. But there should be a logical reason to this though.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Blessed2252: 7:07am On Nov 17, 2017
They convert international numbers to local numbers to be able to charge the caller cheaper fees.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lyns32uk(m): 7:07am On Nov 17, 2017
elujah1:
Doubt it
Its real Bro. If a line that starts with 030 in Sierra Leone calls any of our network in Naija...What u see is a number that starts with 080...Diff num entirely and u can’t call the person back on that number.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lekan6ix: 7:08am On Nov 17, 2017
Lincoln275:
Please Where Can I Get # iPhone 8 For 20k... ?
Esanu Mi...
go underworld
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by dafeyankee: 7:09am On Nov 17, 2017
True.

It's been going on for months now. My calls to Nigeria g
Has been appearing as a Nigeria call.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by anuoluwapo884(m): 7:10am On Nov 17, 2017
It's more expensive for a foreign number to connect to a local Nigerian number so they connect through a local network to make it less expensive for the networks not the users.
Try and call back those numbers it won't go through they have done their home those numbers won't gone through @all it's safe for them and us
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by SouthSouth1914: 7:11am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:

Nope the guy is not! Telcos have been doing this for the last 6 months or more! They re-route calls for cheaper rate!!
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by sleemoon(m): 7:12am On Nov 17, 2017
Yeah.. That's true... I noticed it too when my Aunt do call me too...... Sometimes i dont want to speak to her buh since I don't know d number calling is roaming on a Nigerian number, i ll pick up ignorantly... Alas what i ll hear next is...

Hello Aburo Bawo ni...

3 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by yoddy(m): 7:13am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....

It's called call termination whereby the calls are routed through the internet to a termination device here in Nigeria and the final connection is via a local number.

This is done for reduced call charges.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Chuksmonika(m): 7:13am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....
that has been happening since early dis year,someone living abroad can call you now,it will show mtnline,if he calls again,it wil show airtel line,and another time glo line,it keeps changing
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by sleek82(m): 7:14am On Nov 17, 2017
Well people tell me the same thing and i thought it was because i use an app that helps my calls to naija cheaper...but now that people are saying it here, i really don't know ooo....but anytime i call naija, it routes the call through any network so i don't think it has to do with naija networks
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by sleek82(m): 7:15am On Nov 17, 2017
yoddy:

It's called call termination whereby the calls are routed through the internet to a termination device here in Nigeria and the final connection is via a local number.

This is done for reduced call charges.
i think you are right
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by paparazzi1987(m): 7:15am On Nov 17, 2017
Lincoln275:
Esanu Mi...

Come to oshodi under bridge. I have guys that will sell it for 15K.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by makebrainz(m): 7:16am On Nov 17, 2017
Lincoln275:
Esanu Mi...

Go to sambisa mall in Maiduguri, ask of shehu the phone dealer. Thank me later
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Mrkumareze(m): 7:16am On Nov 17, 2017
Op, that has been going on for over a year. It's a method foreign communication Companies use to bypass the international call rate NCC imposed on all international (incoming) calls. By converting the the numbers to naija numbers (usually Glo no), the charges they incure becomes lesser just like that of a local call.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by okonja(m): 7:16am On Nov 17, 2017
kayuseful:
some of these foreign networks route your calls to some local network provider to facilitate their international calls . blame the foreign network, not Nigerian

Only person in the spirit .

Well, it's not a mistake, tax on incoming international calls are high, so they route the calls through a local gateway. In other words, Its a GSM Termination Something wink
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by acevic: 7:17am On Nov 17, 2017
afoltundeseun:
what you're saying doesn't even make sense at all

But its the truth.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by wallarwallar(m): 7:17am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:

Babu sense... Ask wetin u dont know it has been like that for sometime now and the caller at d other end sometime are not aware
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lincoln275(m): 7:17am On Nov 17, 2017
paparazzi1987:

Come to oshodi under bridge. I have guys that will sell it for 15K.
pls send me ur acc detail, let me send u d money and u can also send d fone to me via dhl
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by phlame(m): 7:19am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:

Don't conclude on what U know nothing about...

@op thats true because each time I call home(Nigeria), people always ask if I'm back...

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by steve6: 7:21am On Nov 17, 2017
I have been experiencing this too.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by LMay(f): 7:21am On Nov 17, 2017
Lordcenturion2:
Yes that's true, even some of my family members will ask me if am in Nigeria, they will says it's glo or something number show on their phone,..

Same here. I spend first 3 minutes trying to explain that I am not in Nigeria and I don't know why it's showing glo number every time they ask.

Now I've stopped calling family friends and extended family members. I call my mum and a few close friends only who instinctively recognize my voice on call and don't even bother to ask questions over and over again, slightly casting aspersion on my assertion that indeed I am not in Nigeria. The worst that happens with close ones is that they also feel surprised that it's changing my number.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by simeonokah(m): 7:24am On Nov 17, 2017
This has also happened to me. When my younger bro in Europe called me, I was seeing nigeria number and his name has not showing.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by bola565: 7:24am On Nov 17, 2017
Lincoln275:
Esanu Mi...
sure you can get it, from those guys that sells beside road in computer villa that usually holds phones and handkerchief (they are there for people like you)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Get Free Recharge Card And Data On Mtn / Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities / 100% Free Us Ip Software Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.