Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,070 members, 7,807,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' (829 Views)

I Want To Sell Copyright To My Unpublished Books / Chimamamanda Adichie Fights Arthur Eze Over Land Grabbing / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' by Divepen1(m): 3:02pm On Nov 17, 2017
So, I got my first Review on the draft of 'Grabbing The Hot Gate' from Oshafi Gloryanna...

Here it is,

General Observation: I enjoyed the book. Before reading this book, I tried to decipher what the book might be about from the title. I couldn't come up with much, so I had no choice than to start reading. I'd honestly say even from the first pages, I couldn't put the book down. Seeing as it deals with the paranormal, it was quite intriguing (and possibly scary as I had to skip some parts where spells were being cast).
Your bringing together of the different characters, developing them and also bringing or resolving their parts is also applaudable. Although, being set in Fortune City, Nigeria I wondered why all of them had English first names.

Writing: Your writing style, choice of words, humor and wit is also quite good. I laughed out loud at some weird proverbs conversations and character traits. There were also excellent "foreign" writing patterns (I mean like stuff you would expect to see in a foreign novel). However, when you were resolving Stella's character, I find the parts where she became a Christian a bit too easy, especially seeing how powerful a witch she used to be. I expected a very tough battle between the world of Lucifer, Heetah and her new found religion especially that bathroom scene.
Again when I started reading the book I was kind of led to believe that prior to this book the was a series... this is because you wrote with the assumption that I (the reader) already knew about Fortune City, Black Town, GreenCity and it's occultic activities. Reading further though, I acclamatized, so I guess it's okay.
Conclusion and resolve of book climax: It was a lovable ending for Gladys. But I think you can do better with Stella and Japheth. Stella was a star of the show. The ending sort of put Gladys in her spotlight. And the part where Japheth finally asks Miry Miry out..it's kinda too "touch and go", like he had been hesistant to ask her since. You now used one paragraph... Lol. Add more flavor to that part na. Lol.

I hope y'all are getting ready.

1 Like

Re: First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' by Debbietiyan(f): 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2017
Can I be the second reviewer? smiley
Re: First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' by MissWrite(f): 9:05pm On Nov 18, 2017
Nice. Can't wait to read it.
Re: First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' by Divepen1(m): 6:29am On Nov 19, 2017
Debbietiyan:
Can I be the second reviewer? smiley
Lol... Probably, another book.

1 Like

Re: First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' by Divepen1(m): 6:29am On Nov 19, 2017
MissWrite:
Nice. Can't wait to read it.
Sure. can't wait to drop it too.
Re: First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' by Debbietiyan(f): 10:09am On Nov 19, 2017
Divepen1:
Lol... Probably, another book.

I'll hold you to that cheesy
Re: First Review On My Unpublished ' Grabbing The Hot Gate' by Divepen1(m): 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2017
Debbietiyan:

I'll hold you to that cheesy
And that's probably tomorrow...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Scratch Diaries: Entry 1 - Knee Rider (18+) / 18 Things I Wish Someone Told Me When I Was 18 / Breasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.