Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,604 members, 7,801,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties (24834 Views)

Man Lost His Properties 2 Years After His Nigeria Wife Joined Him In Uk(vid,pix) / My Dad's Friend Willed 90% Of His Properties To His Daughters And Not His Son / My Younger Brother Wants To Finance My Wedding. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by chrisxxx(m): 6:49pm On Nov 19, 2017
U may not have said the truth or it could be that u did not know. For your dad to train your uncle means that the margin of their age difference is much. This taken property that your grandfather owned would have been kept entirely under the control of your dad without the contest of the younger one your uncle. Training him does not deny him right to his dad's property which your own dad would have held in trust.
Investigate this properly it might be what your Uncle is agitating for in which case he is right.

2 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Taiwo20(m): 6:50pm On Nov 19, 2017
Get #400 sniper and thank me later

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by toprealman: 6:50pm On Nov 19, 2017
darkenkach:
Its a pity your dad didn't leave any will before he died.
He even left a wish which to me is ridiculous. Why didn't he go with the land ?
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by adetes: 6:51pm On Nov 19, 2017
Hmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by DrHighchief(m): 6:53pm On Nov 19, 2017
BruncleZuma:
Does your mother have a marriage certificate? If no, can she provide witnesses to her being married to your father?.
Irrelevant question
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Beedude(m): 6:53pm On Nov 19, 2017
Adaumunocha:
Your uncle has entitlement issues. Greedy thing.

You guys should give him something to avoid stories that touch cos he can go to any length to get your dad's properties.
Greedy folks cant be satisfied. He either get all or none
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 19, 2017
BruncleZuma:

Lag nah next year Waka anytime you enter Jigawa, just let me know. I know I cool kunu joint. wink

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by bestabigaelever(f): 6:54pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

He single handedly bought them and they are all in his name..
don't fight him pls..if he wants some just give him, I know how these fights turn out from experience... Work harder to give your mummy the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Mariangeles(f): 6:55pm On Nov 19, 2017
You must be from Anambra state 'cause that's the only state in Igbo land where injustice like that thrives

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by oshorstan(f): 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:
Please am in need of advices here

My dad has a younger brother whom he trained to the university before he died, being his only brother!
My dads father died when he finished secondary school and my dad was the only one that the family could look up to. So he did some jobs, got some money and trained his younger brother to the university level..

My uncle graduated 10 years ago and nothing to show of it.. My father tried giving him a work to do in a bank, he refused the work and started having problems with my father.

Fast forward now my dad is late, has left behind some kids which are in the university and others are still attending school.

Instead of my uncle to put hands with my mum and burry my father, he is busy dragging my mum to the village that they should share some of my father's property with him, saying that my dad never did anything for him, meanwhile my dad trained him to the University which he never did to any of his children before he died.

Please..my need for posting this is to know if there is any place or anywhere that says that my Uncle must inherit a part of my late father's property, because its part of this property we the children are going to use and establish ourselves and my dad gave a wish that nobody should sell any of his lands while on the sick bed!

Please which legal backing and traditional backing can we use to prevent my uncle from going near that land!..because that land is worth hundreds of millions of naira now!!
Thanks

Please I need solutions too..because we are suspecting him of killing my father because of all his actions!...

Thanks

chat me up on whatsapp 08138188962
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Jesusgirl92(f): 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

Thanks.. Read very well where I said my dad trained him to the university and even offered him a job in a bank,but he refused
don't even mind that one saying nonsense.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by ojlifa: 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2017
This is what happens when you bring up weak children.first does your father have a male child,second if yes is he above 18,third if yes again then he is a disgrace.according to most traditional law in Nigeria he should have taken charge and laid claim to all his father's property.he should have warned the village people and your father's brother in fact get your father's brother locked up if he tries more than himself.your mother shouldn't be speaking.his brother only comes in where there is no male child.and lastly for the love of God defend your mother you weak children.when my father died me and my brother even though we are not the first but the first and second from my mother we took over things.we told the village people to beat it or blood would flow,one stupid old woman was even saying they should have my mother under go some retual to prove that she didn't kill my father,we told them that if we haven't complain then nobody should make noise it was real war,they said we can't lay him in the ground without somethings been sorted out we told them after he enters the ground let them go and dig him out,we brought in the military and mobile police,then they sew our witch pass there own they backed down and nobody ever make noise till date.rather once in a while they go and instigate factions within the family .so my brother you guys are weak children

Alexas58:

My dad has a younger brother whom he trained to the university before he died, being his only brother!
My dads father died when he finished secondary school and my dad was the only one that the family could look up to. So he did some jobs, got some money and trained his younger brother to the university level..

My uncle graduated 10 years ago and nothing to show of it.. My father tried giving him a work to do in a bank, he refused the work and started having problems with my father.

Fast forward now my dad is late, has left behind some kids which are in the university and others are still attending school.

Instead of my uncle to put hands with my mum and burry my father, he is busy dragging my mum to the village that they should share some of my father's property with him, saying that my dad never did anything for him, meanwhile my dad trained him to the University which he never did to any of his children before he died.

Please..my need for posting this is to know if there is any place or anywhere that says that my Uncle must inherit a part of my late father's property, because its part of this property we the children are going to use and establish ourselves and my dad gave a wish that nobody should sell any of his lands while on the sick bed!

Please which legal backing and traditional backing can we use to prevent my uncle from going near that land!..because that land is worth hundreds of millions of naira now!!
Thanks

Please I need solutions too..because we are suspecting him of killing my father because of all his actions!...

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2017
PresVA:
I'm guessing your grandfather died without sharing his property? As such your father took over his properties being that your uncle was young then?

After your uncle came of age, your dad should have given him a portion of their father's property. .. which I guess he didn't do.. and he died young according to you hence unprepared.

Your uncle is right in wanting his possession. . even if you go to court you wouldn't win.. how can you guys say he wouldn't get even a portion of land from what your dad took over from their father? or did your grandfather share the property before he died?

And stop all these your dad sent him to school and all. ..and so?

Imagine your elder brother taking over everything your dad has and leaving nothing for you.

Your family better reasons well and does things accordingly, land war is usually bloody.
did you read him saying its the family lands? And why the hell didn't he ask for a share while the brother was alive?you're really full of shit... The uncle couldn't even wait for the elder brother to be buried before starting a war with a mourning widow, his low, petty and evil.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2017
I feel your pain bro, I lost my dad in January . I'm his first child and I am only 20.
My parents were separated and we stayed with my dad and his wife. embarassed
His elder and younger brothers have been trying to do things to the properties and never attended to the necessary things.
He left two houses and a shopping complex.
One of his brothers was asking for the key to the house in our home town just the next day after he died .
I barely knew these people
They lived in the next state and heard they never showed for more than a decade!
They decided to even sell my dad's bike the next day lipsrsealed .I stood up and argued with them they can NEVER sell that bike because I will be needing it. My dad's wife was obviously on their side too and they supported one another . I resisted and after about a month they gave me the keys to that bike.

My dad was into buying and selling of cocoa .
People owe him more than a million naira .
And somehow he's owing some store and people too.
Almost nothing was done about that.
I was in my first year in OAU .I decided to leave and I did. Planning to do NOUN next year lol. If I get money
My mum is only trying ,my immediate sister is in OAU now.
my dad relatives asked if my mum would come back to take care of us and she did .my stepmum sure wasn't happy about that. ..
These things are just numerous!
I pray may God help you ,bross. And me too. Amen
PS: I'm just pouring out things that are burning inside me. Ion really need no advise lol cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by eagleeye2: 7:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

Please how do they start succession proceedings in court
I don't. know where you are based. But I guess Succession proceedings is all about applying for LETTER OF ADMINISTRATION. I and Mum did same way back. I think you have to ask at Ministry of Lands or something like that.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by ihedioramma: 7:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

He single handedly bought them and they are all in his name..
Brother if you have much tell your mum to give him one if he want more than take him to court . Remember is your brother not only your father brother . He may even take care of you the time you are small . ONE LOVE .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Davifeghe(m): 7:04pm On Nov 19, 2017
Traditional ruler are best solution, believe me or not I have advised grin
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by skedman(m): 7:04pm On Nov 19, 2017
I am sorry this is exactly what happened to us. It was this battle that caused my mum's death .please let your mum travel or stay away from them completely unless they will kill her or one of you .the guy will be so desperate.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by mastermaestro(m): 7:09pm On Nov 19, 2017
Moses247:
My Uncles Tried it After The Demise of My Father in 2012. But me and my sisters and step mother outsmarted Dem, pack all d money just like a Efe Based on Logistics grin....oboy u beta be smart oo. I hope u guys are united??

I like the unity aspect you mentioned. You must have a great stepmom. Unity in the nuclear family is key. wink
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by salt1: 7:11pm On Nov 19, 2017
Op, you sound very young.
People die over land matter.
Rushing to court may not be the solution because some court cases can linger for more than ten years.
Since you're asking for advice, here is mine.
Invite the eldest person in your extended family to mediate between you and your uncle. Accept whatever compromises he advises and you people should move on with your lives.
You are all bereaved : you lost a father and he lost a brother /father figure. Treat him with kindness despite his attitude. You don't need to make enemies for yourselves, your widowed mother and your siblings.
You all need to be alive and well together.

4 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by eagleeye2: 7:15pm On Nov 19, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

All courts have a probate division.... That's the section you need. My knowledge is academic... Kindly notify a lawyer. Where's your location?
That's it. The Probate Registry. That's where you get the Letter of Administration. Be advised it's a long process, start on time.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by middlebelter(m): 7:15pm On Nov 19, 2017
With due respect to all the previous advice given by the respectable nairalanders, and I wish to ask, but did your have have a will writing before is death? Do you know his personal lawyer? If he has a will please take it a ó probate unit that at any high court with your lawyer. You may wish to contact Meristem Registrars and Probate services Ltd Yaba Lagos for further guide.
However, I I will strongly recommend you don't confront them untill all the burial rites are done, make sure you have all the documents on the side of the law especially if you canove fast and silently engage the services of reputable lawyer, or Trustee.

If he died intestate, and you are sure your mother is legally married to him, you can be sure a good lawyer will protect her interest and that it was of you children and because there's provision to protect you. Let the lawyer talk to them.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by mastermaestro(m): 7:16pm On Nov 19, 2017
Beedude:

Greedy folks cant be satisfied. He either get all or none

You really get. Once they offer something now, he would fight to have more, more and more until everything becomes his. This is the problem they'll face if they decided to share anything with him.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Sanchase: 7:19pm On Nov 19, 2017
According to the Law of the land, your uncle has no right over your father's properties and don't fight him over it.

Even if he sells any of the lands, it will always be an ingenuine sale and the buyer will suffer it.

Alexas58:

Thanks

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Moses247(m): 7:28pm On Nov 19, 2017
mastermaestro:

I like the unity aspect you mentioned. You must have a great stepmom. Unity in the nuclear family is key. wink

unity?? very important.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by jolyment: 7:28pm On Nov 19, 2017
If you are very sure that your uncle is not entitled to the land, it's better you engage a competent lawyer.My father's case is similar to yours just that when my dad's brother died in an accident which nobody wanted. So later the properties were shared because they my dad's money is part of the houses and businesses.My father was very young that time and uneducated that's why he didn't know that everything should be separated or have a legal backing.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Joysmith2: 7:29pm On Nov 19, 2017
U and ur mom should b prayer ,,
Don't trust dat ur uncle dat can drag his brother property instead of rendering assist...he might go d other way round to harm u guys.....
80% property draggers are dangerous....
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by danthamccoy(m): 7:29pm On Nov 19, 2017
dockokwus:
Your dad without an education struggled to achieve so much,yet you with a university degree are proud to say its your dad's property(ies) you wish to achieve it in life!
Not saying your uncle is right or has any inheritance right to your father's property,but the whole premise of your wanting to 'fight' him is just a put off,to me @least.
So he should leave the property to his uncle so that it won't be his dad's property he would achieve in life right? And so he won't put off your delicate sensibilities. Wonderful insight there, brother. You must be proud of yourself.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Zenithpeak(m): 7:30pm On Nov 19, 2017
BruncleZuma:
Does your mother have a marriage certificate? If no, can she provide witnesses to her being married to your father?.

Who is your dad's next of kin?
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:33pm On Nov 19, 2017
did your grandfather left any property when he passed away?!
was the property shared equally between brothers?
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by AreaFada2: 7:38pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

Thanks

Thanks

Please clarify this. Did your grandfather leave land and other assets when he died? If yes did your dad's siblings get a share of your grandfather's properties?
Depending on your local culture, if your dad inherited all of your grandfather's your uncle might well be entitle to a share of it. And indeed your aunts if any.
Because if your granddad's wealth was shared already, your uncle has no entitlement to your dad's assets.

This is something many father's do not anticipate when alive: siblings can make life difficult for wife & kids once dead. There should always be a will and existing disputes over family inheritance not postponed.

Chiwetalu Agu's common portrayals in Nollywood films do happen in real life.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Zenithpeak(m): 7:39pm On Nov 19, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Your uncle is still family.

Your mom shouldn't be stingy, she should give him some properties. That's exactly what your late dad will have done for his brother.
After all, you said he isn't doing so well now.

She should give him some.
Just like your dad died to leave them, he will too.
Life is vanity upon vanity.

I'd also advice you guys strive hard for yourselves and don't count so much on your dad's properties. He worked for them, work for yours too.
They are just a bonus and not the principal.

As much as I want to be kind in my response to your comment but the stupidity embedded in it is legendary.

How could a civilised right thinking adult decomposed in his reasoning to this extent?

Your family should beware of you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should I Have Allowed Her? / My Husband Kidnapped, Raped And Forced Me Into Marrying Him – Woman Tells Court / What Trait Did You inherit From Your Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.