Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe - Culture (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (79885 Views)

Benin, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe / ICYMI: Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe / Benin, Not Yoruba Are Original Owners Of Lagos - Ajayi Bembe Chief Layi Ajayi-be (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by odigbosky(m): 8:41am On Nov 25, 2017
Olu317:
I can see that you guys are so misled by false information given to you all. Funny thing is that Odu'a didn't come from Bini because I am his descendants. My ancestors worship what is called IRUNMOLÈ.....And your ogiso didn't have anything that is linked to any animals in your own account. So get it henceforth that Odu'a didn't come from Ogodomigodo.. Period. Do you even know the meaning of Adimlia /Adumunia, which was his name? So, forget your IDU's claim. Even archeology between ILE IFE and IDU/IBini,showed ILE IFE as being older... You are dealing with a man who knows his ancestors history.... Quit such notion of any link between Odu'a and BINI.

Bros since u re his drscendant.....where did he come from, dont tell me heaven oooo bcus dat one na film.....ehen, the Olugbo of Ugbo said they own ife and oduduwa was a foreigner who drove them away...i watched it on TV bros.
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by odigbosky(m): 8:53am On Nov 25, 2017
Olu317:
What lie? Point it out,please... I mock at your ignorance. OK,enjoy the tale by the moon light from the land of ogodomigodo. The people associated with red colour. It is even a shame that Yoruba change the named of IDU to BINI. If it pains you that my ancestry isn't Edo, then that's your cup of tea.. Can't stop laughing!!!!

Ehn bros....that changing of name u said is wrong oooo....what Oronmiyan said was ile Ibinu....Different people had names for what we now call Benin. What the citizens called it was Igodomigido. Oba Ewedo whose mother was either an itsekiri or ilaje woman because history says he spent time in the riverine communities before taking the throne had his followers call Igodomigido Bini. The Ikas and Aniomas call Igodomigido IDU, the Urhobos call Igodomigido AKA....yorubas call it ADO.....Oba Ewuare changed the name to Edo which we still answer till date....The Name Benin came to be when the Portuguese picked it up from the itsekiris.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 12:35pm On Nov 25, 2017
Olu317:
You re the one that seek relevance, I don't. Just like any other Yoruba man will do once he is opportune to do so. I dare you to mention a portion where I acted like you by poking into things naturally not as deeply of your concern. I do justice to issue related to my tribe mostly. And pass out information if I have fact on my care,even if I have personal opinion, which is normal to any human being. You are the one with ego my friend because YOU ARE NOT EVEN BINI. What concerns you? Lastly, if Ooni can correct anomalies in the past in Yoruba land ,why wouldn't any Yoruba man stop distortion. Even Present Ooni Ogunwusi countered Oba BINI on who Odu'a personality was before he was rightly told by the kingmakers to ignored Oba BINI on such matters. Since you have decided to show case your talent here, then you must be very deep with history .Kindly be proud of your identity because it is self dignifying. Please show your talent by letting us know you if you are conversant with others history. Lastly, I have made my point, so enjoy the bitter truth....Bon weekend. Proudly Yoruba

You have often poked your nose into matters that don't concern you, by dragging other people's names, into a subject that has nothing to do with them. sad

You also talk too much, and you keep rattling on like someone in pain. You do not even know my ancestry and you are delving into the realm of conjecture. Na wa, o! Oya, write another long epistle since you appear to love such things. It appears you get a high from engaging in strange arguments. undecided
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 12:38pm On Nov 25, 2017
Olu317:
You are the one that need relevance! Of course I don't. I came online here to silence LIARS and paper researchers of your likes. Long epistles indeed? Are you so damn ashamed to write about your IGALA ANCESTRY or where ?Come up and be bold about it. On my information, is to correct anomaly as it regard Yorubas history,which is perfectly NORMAL. Kindly do that about Your history too if need be. I wish you knew how hard I have been laughing at your Town Crier's attitude. Proudly Yoruba. And you are proudly who?
Chai!! See how pained you are. cheesy Try not to cry too much. For your information, Laudate is a complete Nigerian with ties to various minority groups in different parts of Nigeria. Now, provide solid evidence to show where I stated in black and white that I was Igala. Don't tell lies, o! True Yorubas that I know, are modest and do not boast or beat their chests, to prove their heritage. Only God knows where your own brand comes from. undecided

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by PabloAfricanus(m): 2:08pm On Nov 25, 2017
laudate:

Here comes the pseudo-intellectual Igbo boy that wants to lecture others about their history, without any source or proof to back up his claims. I laugh today in Greek.... cheesy grin Oh, I miss the days of Terracotta, Jakumo etc, who were the true masters that would have put such braggarts in their place.

You again?
A cheerleader calling me a boy? Really?
So you can only view the world from Igbo vs Yoruba lens?
So I must be Igbo to comment on Igbo matters huh?
Oh I now see, cos I have seen you write fluently in Igbo, the way only an Anioma guy can grin
No wonder the self hatred and inferiority complex shocked shocked
An Anioma cheerleader doing his best to disavow his Igbo identity while stoking the fires of controversy between Igbos and everyone else undecided kiss

You even had to call for support again from your Yoruba masters whom you cannot gain relevance without cry undecided
I spit on your stupi.dity really, since its clear you have no idea what you are talking about and are not even qualified to comment on this topic.

For daring to drag me into your Igbo vs Ipob vs Yoruba nansense take this

Pseudo intellectual really? Coming from a pathetic cheerleader?
You mean I should care to supply extra sources from Uganda and Namibia to a cheerleader who has this to say for a paper presented at the University of Ibadan by the Iyase of Benin himself?
Your pasted articles were written by Benin chiefs, not academic scholars with access to historical evidence, using rigorous analytical methods to determine the authenticity of such accounts. One of the writers is Sam Igbe the Iyase of Benin, who is fond of reciting history from a Benin perspective, with little regard for accuracy of events and patterns of migration. If you knew the articles were inherently defective, why were you cutting and pasting it with such relish, as if it was the gospel truth??

Since apparently the provided links and sources are not enough?
And you have way more access to accurate information than Bini chiefs and the Iyase himself? embarassed
Even if I had quoted the Oba of Benin himself, you would still have found a way to showcase your inbred stupidi.ty by questioning the rigorous analytical methods used to determine the whatever. You id.iat of a chameleon!
You must appear so clever in your own eyes, if only you knew how silly and pathetic you appear.

You pathetic chameleon of a cheerleader angry
You sill.y little jobless cheerleader of no nation.
And here was I thinking I was done with my patriotic duties cry
Seems I have more civic duties to perform knocking sense into you

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2017
PabloAfricanus:
You again?
A cheerleader calling me a boy? Really?
So you can only view the world from Igbo vs Yoruba lens?
So I must be Igbo to comment on Igbo matters huh?
Oh I now see, cos I have seen you write fluently in Igbo, the way only an Anioma guy can grin
No wonder the self hatred and inferiority complex shocked shocked
An Anioma cheerleader doing his best to disavow his Igbo identity while stoking the fires of controversy between Igbos and everyone else undecided kiss

You even had to call for support again from your Yoruba masters whom you cannot gain relevance without cry undecided
I spit on your stupi.dity really, since its clear you have no idea what you are talking about and are not even qualified to comment on this topic.

For daring to drag me into your Igbo vs Ipob vs Yoruba nansense take this.

Pseudo intellectual really? Coming from a pathetic cheerleader?
You mean I should care to supply extra sources from Uganda and Namibia to a cheerleader who has this to say for a paper presented at the University of Ibadan by the Iyase of Benin himself?

Since apparently the provided links and sources are not enough?
And you have way more access to accurate information than Bini chiefs and the Iyase himself? embarassed
Even if I had quoted the Oba of Benin himself, you would still have found a way to showcase your inbred stupidi.ty by questioning the rigorous analytical methods used to determine the whatever. You id.iat of a chameleon!
You must appear so clever in your own eyes, if only you knew how silly and pathetic you appear.

You pathetic chameleon of a cheerleader angry
You sill.y little jobless cheerleader of no nation.
And here was I thinking I was done with my patriotic duties cry
Seems I have more civic duties to perform knocking sense into you

Anioma??
shocked Who?? Me? Mba nu! Are you sure that brand of marijuana you inhaled, has not turned your senses upside down? You have started seeing things that don't exist, o!

As for the Iyase, tell us when exactly he became an academic scholar, and how many degrees he has to his name. And tell us why his words are sacrosanct, and should be rated higher than those of an academic scholar, who has conducted painstaking research into historical events, using thorough analysis and rigorous investigative tools.

Now wail a little bit more. I am glad to know that I have become your worst nightmare. cheesy
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by PabloAfricanus(m): 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2017
macof:

Recent fabrications also include the bini claim

There is no evidence that Oduduwa came from bini. This is sub Saharan Africa where coronation rites, rituals and traditions, festivals, songs etc are used to tell stories for example; when the owa idanre says he took oduduwa's crown he proves it by showing the crown itself in a festival similar to Olojo in Ife, in idanre there are songs and rituals of how those who came to retrieve the crown have failed

When Ooni wants to show that he defeated Obatala it is proven through a festival. How Moremi saved Ife is portrayed in a festival

What festival exist in bini that portrays oduduwa as a Bini man? What oriki or song? What part of the coronation rites of the Oba of bini portrays oduduwa?
What saying connects oduduwa to Bini?

Some shameless morons who are driven by sentiments and not passion for history came out to say something that has no basis in any their own culture or anybody's culture and more fools like you believe

What is the difference between the Bini claim and Mecca? Both lack evidence and consistency

If you want to know oduduwa's origin, to go Ife...theres an oduduwa cult, there are families who have been tasked for over 800years to pass down stories about oduduwa and keep his groove - the leader of these families is called Obadio.

Coronation rites of the ooni tells us where his origin is, where he first goes to collect a crown (a makeshift crown, his the real one is now in Idanre)

You miss the point really. And your analogy is off. Yoruba rituals and festivals DO NOT HAVE TO MATCH other people's own for there to be a historical link. The Fulanis that took over Ilorin for example do not have a ritual depicting the battles they fought before they took over the city and established an emirate. Are you aware Alimi provided an escourt to take the Alaafin safely back to Oyo after he was captured by Fulani/Hausa soldiers fighting for Afonja? They told him the Aare was gonna spill the Alaafin's blood for sacrifice and he refused to give him up for that purpose.
So going by your analogy, the Fulani wars with Oyo never took place right?

About Bini and Oduduwa, for starters, if you cared to investigate you would find out that the monarchies in most lands ARE ALMOST ALWAYS FOREIGNERS who where not indigenes in the first place. For example, the royal family of England are not even English, Welsh or Scottish. Same goes for Spain, Netherlands and others.
So your idea of trying to create an exception for Yorubas won't fly because history is not on your side.
All oral and recorded history about Oduduwa repeats one fact, he was welcomed into Ife.

This is a Bini account, referencing with songs and rituals as you expect

Ovbia Oba Edun Agharese Akenzua, in his book: Ekaladerhan, tells us that while the Oba of Benin was visiting Ife on November 11, 1982, the Ooni said in part……”As we have mentioned briefly during our historic visit to your domain not too long ago, we said that we were there to pat you on the back for a job well done. Your present visit we regard as a short homecoming, where you will have an opportunity to commune with those deities you left behind. Now my son and brother, long may you reign.” “The address suggested that the people of Benin, or at least, the Royal Family, owe their origin to Ile-Ife. In the prelude of his response to the Ooni’s welcome address, the Oba of Benin tacitly rebutted the submission.” “The Oba said: If the Ooni of Ife calls the Oba of Benin his son and the Oba of Benin calls the Ooni of Ife his son, they are both right.” “The Oba did not elaborate, but in the womb of that innocuous assertion is the fetus of a story, which had never been told in full. In both Benin and Uhe, the story is told with varying details.”

According to Ovbia Oba Edu Akenzua in his book, Ekaladerhan, “the issue is not about whether or not the relationship between Benin and Ife existed, its existence has been proven beyond doubt by anthropological and folkloric evidence. Songs and rituals are performed in both Benin and Ife today which eulogize the link with nostalgia, relish and pride.”

Ovbia Oba Edu Akenzua again, “at the time when the event took place, Uhe had no record of a ruler, let alone a famous one, from whom neighbouring countries could make such a request. Why did the people of Igodomigodo choose Uhe, instead of another place, which is perhaps nearer, to go and request for a king? “

And he was NOT FROM Oke-Ora as you like saying all the time, hear it from the Ooni himself

https://www.oonirisa.org/history-of-ile-ife/

The history of Ife can also be chronologically divided into three periods: The first Ife was known as Ife Oodaye, Ile owuro, ibiti oju ti mo, that is, the land of most ancient days where the dawn of the day was first experienced. The inhabitants of Ife Oodaye were believed to be powerful giants with mystic abilities. Tradition claims that the life of this community came to an end as a result of flood which flushed the whole area occupied by the community. Those who survived the deluge formed the nucleus of the community that formed the second era of the history of Ife.

The second Ife was called Ife Ooyelagbo, that is, the city of the survivors. Tradition maintains that the second Ife lasted until the arrival of some strangers who entered the city of Ile-Ife from the “East”. An attempt made by the strangers to seize power from the aborigines on the land led to a bloody struggle between the strangers led by the Oduduwa on one hand and the aborigines led by Obatala, eventually Oduduwa and his groups won the war.

The third Ife is called Ile-Ife founded with the arrival of Oduduwa and his groups. It is believed that Oduduwa, the founder of the Yoruba raced emerged after the deluge, he (Oduduwa) and his followers descended on to dry land by means of chain ropes from their life boat (hence the saying Oduduwa afi won ron). And later anchored on Oke-Ora (Oranfe Hill) between Ile-Ife and Itagunmodi on the Ife-Ilesa road, from where they came to Moore quarter in Ile-Ife.

So there you have it, Oduduwa arrived with his groups to Ife.
An indigene cannot arrive to a place where he is indigenous to except language has lost its meaning.
The Oduduwa group were not indigenous to Ife according to historical records, here is a editorial by Eluyemi on the Guardian that HAS NOT BEEN CONTESTED

https://guardian.ng/features/ife-coronation-rituals-and-the-primacy-of-history/

IFE enthronement rituals add further insight on royal crown traditions. The coronation process, as summarized by Eluyemi, is divided into a series of structured parts, only certain aspects of which are widely known.

Once the group has arrived at the Obatala temple, the king-elect will be anointed in front of this god and then initiated into the Ogboni association, the Obatala-linked group created to safeguard the rights of Ife’s autochthonous residents

The king-elect stays in the Ilofi for a number of days, during which he is introduced to Ife’s political chiefs (Ihare) and undertakes rites that seem in part to reaffirm the victory of Ife’s second dynasty chiefs over leaders who formed part of the first dynasty. Each chief arriving at Ilofi presents to the king-elect a ritual song addressing something of his family’s history. Reinforcing this event in dramatizing Ife’s political history, some of Ife’s defeated chiefs, among these Obawinrin, the head of Ife’s autochthonous Igbo population, are called on to ‘‘supply music as a sign of submission”. The feather fans (abebe) they wave also underscore the theme of defeat.

Eluyemi explains, with respect to the Ido enthronement ritual and the associated crown of leaves that: ‘‘the aborigines lost their crown to the more powerful invaders…. (This is why) the Onpetu (of Ido) presents the crown to the Oni-elect during the coronation ceremony at Oke-Ido”.

The defeated chiefs are even called upon to supply music!
Let's add more fire to the raging discussion, notice Eluyemi did not say Ife’s autochthonous Ugbo population but Ife’s autochthonous Igbo population. grin shocked
I know some peeps are gonna be like angry
He was referring to Ugbo in Ilaje right? But was he? That must have been a typo on his part right? grin

Some Ife historians mix it up half way and can't seem to make up their minds whether it is Ugbo or Igbo.

http://ifeooye..com.ng/2016/03/art-in-ancient-ife-birthplace-of-yoruba.html

A rather unusual Janus figure from ancient Ife shows a man with diagonal facial markings similar to those of historic and modern Igbo Nri titleholders, suggesting the role a similar group may have played in early Ife as well. Today it is Chief Obawinrin, head of Ife’s Iwinrin lineage, who represents Ife’s historic Igbo population during the annual Ife Edi festival.

These Ife area Igbo populations appear to be distant relatives of autochthonous Igbo families, many of whom were forced out of the city by members of the new Odudua dynasty.22 Sculptures from Ife’s Iwinrin Grove, an Ife site closely linked to Ife’s “Igbo” population, characteristically show vertical line facial markings consistent with works linked to first dynasty Ife history and autochthony. Another 5 percent of Ife sculptures portray Edo (Benin) style facial marks (forehead keloids) or patterns today characteristic of northeastern Yoruba/Nupe communities (a diagonal cheek line and/or vertical forehead line). The remaining 5 percent of the extant Ife terracotta works show unusual “mixed” facial patterns (generally “cat whisker” motifs along with other forms). These marks may reference intermarriages (social or political) at Ife in the early years of the new dynasty.

Talking about Ugbo, you are going to have to contend with Oba Akinruntan if you want to contest further on Oduduwa's history of not being native to Ife.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/08/27/oba-frederick-obateru-akinruntan-i-am-the-owner-of-ile-ife-i-can-rule-ife-from-my-palace-if-allowed/

Oduduwa was not part of the Yoruba. He was not part of us. He migrated to Ile Ife from Mecca. Look at his tribal marks. He had a foreigner’s marks on his cheeks. He had seven children. Out of these seven, one was a female called Owu. Owu is near Ikire.

When Oduduwa arrived, he came to Ile Ero (Palace) at Iremo quarters in Ile Ife and he was accepted because of our hospitality. Being a non-native and coming from a background where might was right, he engaged in struggles. Oduduwa never had a successful reign in Ile Ife. Although he initially defeated Obatala, Obatala later fought back and conquered him. The late Oba of Benin wrote his autobiography which he titled, ‘I Remain, Sir, Your Obedient Servant.’ He revealed everything in the book. Oba of Benin said the Olugbo is the only recognised Yoruba Oba.

I was with Oba Adeyemi some years ago and he said Olugbo, your father is the owner of Ife before the arrival of Oduduwa – a newspaper published it (the statement of Oba Adeyemi). I did not just wake up to say this.

A lot of the Obas know this truth as well. I am just out to correct history. If the story is not real, they would have responded. This book has been out since three years ago. Silence means consent. Ego may not allow them to say, ‘Yes, I agree with you.’ But they know it is true and that is why they are silent. I have a good relationship with all the other monarchs.

Now apparently even Akinruntan bought into the Mecca myth when the proper reference was somewhere to the East. I blame it on literacy or lack of geographical knowledge, as the Mecca fabrication is not only tenable but totally unrealistic IMO.
The point is, it is established that Oduduwa came from somewhere to Ife, was accepted, fought with the native power brokers to establish his dominance and gained ascendancy to start a dynasty.
What you are going to have to prove to me is which independent kingdom goes out to another unrelated kingdom to ask them to supply a king for them if there was no relationship in the first place?
Are you aware of the claims by Ogiamen family in Bini today that the present royal family of Bini are Yorubas and not ethnic Binis? They claim the Oliha back then went to Uhe to bring a Yoruba prince to usurp Ogiamen's authority. History records that the Ogiamen was later defeated and was forced to sell the land symbolically to the new king.
Why did the Oliha have to go to Uhe? Why not Zaria or Bida or Idah?
How did the Oliha manage to convince a notoriously difficult people like the Binis to accept a foreign prince as a king, even when an Ogie was already ruling the land?
So you see, the story is not as simple as you are trying to make it appear.
The history of most peoples in Southern Nigeria is way more related than we care to admit.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 5:38pm On Nov 25, 2017
laudate:

Chai!! See how pained you are. cheesy Try not to cry too much. For your information, Laudate is a complete Nigerian with ties to various minority groups in different parts of Nigeria. Now, provide solid evidence to show where I stated in black and white that I was Igala. Don't tell lies, o! True Yorubas that I know, are modest and do not boast or beat their chests, to prove their heritage. Only God knows where your own brand comes from. undecided
I boast? Is that all you can think of? Come up with any other one. Pained me? I laughed reading this uncontrollably .How on earth can you figure a boastful person passing information that had been in the hidden for years beyond Nigeria's existence. I have given certain information about Ooni lineage worship which you can not easily find on Google or any other documented history. If God see me as boastful, I doubt if I will be a member of that lineage .Anyway, it is beyond you. Enjoy yourself .
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 6:05pm On Nov 25, 2017
laudate:

You have often poked your nose into matters that don't concern you, by dragging other people's names, into a subject that has nothing to do with them. sad

You also talk too much, and you keep rattling on like someone in pain. You do not even know my ancestry and you are delving into the realm of conjecture. Na wa, o! Oya, write another long epistle since you appear to love such things. It appears you get a high from engaging in strange arguments. undecided
I get high? I thank God that am always high about correcting the distortion of my ethnicity history. And what have you done to show your love for your ethnicity? Proudly Yoruba.
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 6:10pm On Nov 25, 2017
odigbosky:

Ehn bros....that changing of name u said is wrong oooo....what Oronmiyan said was ile Ibinu....Different people had names for what we now call Benin. What the citizens called it was Igodomigido. Oba Ewedo whose mother was either an itsekiri or ilaje woman because history says he spent time in the riverine communities before taking the throne had his followers call Igodomigido Bini. The Ikas and Aniomas call Igodomigido IDU, the Urhobos call Igodomigido AKA....yorubas call it ADO.....Oba Ewuare changed the name to Edo which we still answer till date....The Name Benin came to be when the Portuguese picked it up from the itsekiris.
You are right about ule ibinu. I only slightly skip the process at which the name changed to present day BINI . Thanks anyway

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 6:19pm On Nov 25, 2017
odigbosky:

Bros since u re his drscendant.....where did he come from, dont tell me heaven oooo bcus dat one na film.....ehen, the Olugbo of Ugbo said they own ife and oduduwa was a foreigner who drove them away...i watched it on TV bros.
Smiling while typing this. Adimlia / Adimunia or Odu'a as fondly called didn't come from heaven. The error of today's Yorubas was the same nearly all of them did in the ancient times. And this is not documenting properly their migration pattern. Orun didn't mean only heaven if you know some verse in Odu IFA. However, certain tradition of the man identified as Odu'a and how worship God is the clue to where he came from. I have mentioned them in the past.
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Tozara(m): 6:41pm On Nov 25, 2017
Xda59:

It is just a matter of time before we send these lazy land grabbing afonjas out of West africa.
Your delusion is VERY STRONG. grin

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 6:42pm On Nov 25, 2017
odigbosky:

Yeah I recall that part of the story that Olugbo mentioned. it may sound really funny but the truth is that blundered because his ancestors were priests and leader but he lied about his ancestors owing the whole part of ILE IFE because all the hamlets and villages or better still quarters were independent from one and another. They were jointly ruled by AGBA ILU. Odu'a descendant ruled before Obamakin Osangan took over after Ogun who was the regent Oooni went on war prosecution and stayed in Saki, where he died . It was after this that Obamakin seize power but was later force into exile .This is the reason Olugbo want recognition and to disassociate from being addressed as people from the Eastern Nigeria that identifies with such name into today's country called Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 2:10am On Nov 26, 2017
Olu317:
I boast? Is that all you can think of? Come up with any other one. Pained me? I laughed reading this uncontrollably .How on earth can you figure a boastful person passing information that had been in the hidden for years beyond Nigeria's existence. I have given certain information about Ooni lineage worship which you can not easily find on Google or any other documented history. If God see me as boastful, I doubt if I will be a member of that lineage .Anyway, it is beyond you. Enjoy yourself .

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 9:44am On Nov 26, 2017
[quote author=laudate post=62718410][/quote]Yeah, I am lamenting about my history and so shall it be. But wait a minute, have you for once decided to do DNA test to ascertain from which of this group of Wukari Jukun+Eastern Yoruba+Bini/Esan+Ibo
==> [IGALA NATION] that you actually have more domineering link with? Mon ami, la vie est belle pour tout Yoruba toujours. J'aime Yoruba jusqu'a la fin.

AGAIN AND AGAIN TILL INFINITY ,IDU people can tell their story but not LIES ON OLOFIN ODU'A. Peradventure, laudate isn't comfortable about my lineage and me, then tell God to reverse from me if God did mistake about our own true story. It will do you more good to do self research on your own lineage within IGALA group before engaging me. There is IGALA thread, go through and contribute your own research studies on them. Yoruba blood till the end! Kiss the truth.
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 9:45am On Nov 26, 2017
laudate:
[/quote]Yeah, I am lamenting about my history and so shall it be. But wait a minute, have you for once decided to do DNA test to ascertain from which of this group of Wukari Jukun+Eastern Yoruba+Bini/Esan+Ibo
==> [IGALA NATION] that you actually have more domineering link with? Mon ami, la vie est belle pour tout Yoruba toujours. J'aime Yoruba jusqu'a la fin.

AGAIN AND AGAIN TILL INFINITY ,IDU people can tell their story but not LIES ON OLOFIN ODU'A. Peradventure, laudate isn't comfortable about my lineage and me, then tell God to reverse from me if God did mistake about our own true story. It will do you more good to do self research on your own lineage within IGALA group before engaging me. There is IGALA thread, go through and contribute your own research studies on them. Yoruba blood till the end! Kiss the truth. grin[quote author=laudate post=62718410]
Yeah, I am lamenting about my history and so shall it be. But wait a minute, have you for once decided to do DNA test to ascertain from which of this group of Wukari Jukun+Eastern Yoruba+Bini/Esan+Ibo

AGAIN AND AGAIN TILL INFINITY ,IDU people can tell their story but not LIES ON OLOFIN ODU'A. Peradventure, laudate isn't comfortable about my lineage and me, then tell God to reverse from me if God did mistake about our own true story. It will do you more good to do self research on your own lineage within IGALA group before engaging me. There is IGALA thread, go through and contribute your own research studies on them. Yoruba blood till the end! Kiss the truth.
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 9:56am On Nov 26, 2017
Olu317:
Yeah, I am lamenting about my history and so shall it be. But wait a minute, have you for once decided to do DNA test to ascertain from which of this group of Wukari Jukun+Eastern Yoruba+Bini/Esan+Ibo

AGAIN AND AGAIN TILL INFINITY ,IDU people can tell their story but not LIES ON OLOFIN ODU'A. Peradventure, laudate isn't comfortable about my lineage and me, then tell God to reverse from me if God did mistake about our own true story. It will do you more good to do self research on your own lineage within IGALA group before engaging me. There is IGALA thread, go through and contribute your own research studies on them. Yoruba blood till the end! Kiss the truth. ;DYeah, I am lamenting about my history and so shall it be. But wait a minute, have you for once decided to do DNA test to ascertain from which of this group of Wukari Jukun+Eastern Yoruba+Bini/Esan+Ibo

Hehehe....you had to quote me and insert some lies into my post, in order to make some strange kind of point? cheesy You are too pathetic for words....what kind if retar'ded creature behaves like you have just done? Gosh, you must be in such pain to have reacted in such a juvenile way....may that pain be your portion for life! May the fact that you know nothing about my ancestry continue to torment you! Cry me a river and lament some more. Don't stop! wink
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 10:01am On Nov 26, 2017
wink
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by rhektor(m): 2:55pm On Nov 26, 2017
giftq:

manage this one grin grin

You mean these ibo boys?

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by rhektor(m): 3:00pm On Nov 26, 2017
Born2Breed:

Those that really own Lagos know where they are from....the slaves returnees and migrants from border states laying claim to what they have no true knowledge about also know themselves.

Kudos Ajayi-Bembe for educating those trying to re-write history.

Ajayi Bembe actually does this for political reasons he had no actual fact. All he's been trying to say has no bearing, he claim Awori and Benin are the same isn't that laughable? Because the truth is that the Benin warriors that conquered Ìsàlẹ̀ eko met the Aworis there not the other way round. For the sale of fact Aworis are not Benin. Aworis migrated from Ifẹ̀ not from Edo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by helpishere(m): 3:32pm On Nov 26, 2017
laudate:

Cut the crap. sad A Lagosian Yoruba man started a controversy, and your IPOB-Igbo jerks jumped on the bandwagon and used his comments to taunt the Yorubas and mock the Bini/Edo people, in order to create discord between them. The evidence is littered all over this thread. So who are you trying to patronise with your hypocritical statements? Abeg, swerve enter lagoon biko. Everyone can see right through your fake rhetoric. undecided I am not even going to dignify any of your questions with an answer, because I am not going to be part of your pathetic attempts to play to the gallery.
For someone who assumes a role not assigned to him, it is baffling. You said no one knows Bembe’s Igiogbe in Benin, he was not sent by the Oba, and many more trash that you have been saying about the Ibos trying to cause war between the Binis and the Yorubas. Ajayi Bembe never told you he was speaking for the Oba and for someone to recall what his grandfather did and told him, you are foolishly asking for his Igiogbe in Benin. Where is your own in Benin? You are the hypocrite here because you want to look good among the three tribes. You have been asked where you come from and you greet in Ibo and Bini yet you cannot say where you come from. You did not see Binis and Yorubas at war on the thread but exchanging all the tales that we know about where we come from. Where are you from double mouth?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 8:10pm On Nov 26, 2017
helpishere:
For someone who assumes a role not assigned to him, it is baffling. You said no one knows Bembe’s Igiogbe in Benin, he was not sent by the Oba, and many more trash that you have been saying about the Ibos trying to cause war between the Binis and the Yorubas. Ajayi Bembe never told you he was speaking for the Oba and for someone to recall what his grandfather did and told him, you are foolishly asking for his Igiogbe in Benin. Where is your own in Benin? You are the hypocrite here because you want to look good among the three tribes. You have been asked where you come from and you greet in Ibo and Bini yet you cannot say where you come from. You did not see Binis and Yorubas at war on the thread but exchanging all the tales that we know about where we come from. Where are you from double mouth?
Why do you want to know where I come from? Will that info put food on your table, cash in your pocket or clothes on your back? shocked Stop tormenting yourself with the fact that you know nothing about my heritage. I know you are upset and rattled, because I exposed the deceitful, twisted antics of your people on this thread. Continue to wallow in pain! It is so obvious that you chaps have nothing better to do than sow the seeds of discord, and fan the embers of hate among different ethnic groups. But your hypocrisy and attempts to cause confusion between the Bini people and the Yorubas, is dead on arrival. Your puerile efforts have been noted. And your drivel has been acknowledged. Forgive me for not caring. Now, feel free to hug the nearest transformer with wet hands. You will not be missed. undecided
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by helpishere(m): 9:44pm On Nov 26, 2017
I have been looking for a transformer for over 2 hrs and can’t seem to find one. In case you find one in your area, be a brother’s keeper and hug one. You will surely be missed. I am not curious to know your origin but if someone is not proud of his origin, then he has no direction as to his destination. You cannot speak for the Binis and I will beg you to hands off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 9:46pm On Nov 26, 2017
helpishere:
I have been looking for a transformer for over 2 hrs and can’t seem to find one. In case you find one in your area, be a brother’s keeper and hug one. You will surely be missed. I am not curious to know your origin but if someone is not proud of his origin, then he has no direction as to his destination. You cannot speak for the Binis and I will beg you to hands off.

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by helpishere(m): 9:50pm On Nov 26, 2017
Funny you. The foto of that little boy is to tell you to take your eyes off weightier matters and focus on what you can comprehend.
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by laudate: 9:58pm On Nov 26, 2017
helpishere:
Funny you. The foto of that little boy is to tell you to take your eyes off weightier matters and focus on what you can comprehend.

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 7:58pm On Nov 27, 2017
helpishere:
Thanks you. I told my ancestors history from what has been passed to me, he said I am boastful. I wonder how some people reason. Thank God that some of us are trying so hard to correct these lies peddled by Oba BINI. Below is the picture of Ooni, which was found in Oba Bini's court. This sculpture showed how Oba BINI reference Ooni and idolised Ooni of IFE. The sculpture is probably a gift sent to Oba BINI or Sculpture carved to reference Ooni.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by PrinceOgun: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2017
[[s]quote author=Olu317 post=62770949]Thanks you. I told my ancestors history from what has been passed to me, he said I am boastful. I wonder how some people reason. Thank God that some of us are trying so hard to correct these lies peddled by Oba BINI. Below is the picture of Ooni, which was found in Oba Bini's court. This sculpture showed how Oba BINI reference Ooni and idolised Ooni of IFE. The sculpture is probably a gift sent to Oba BINI or Sculpture carved to reference Ooni. [/quote][/s]

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?

DONT YOU EVER GET TIRED OF PEDDLING ALL THIS NONSENSE?

GODFORBID!!

OBA OF BENIN IDOLISE WHO?

OONI?

WHAT USELESS STUPID OONI?

SACRILAGE !

YOU YORUBAS NEED HELP!

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by PrinceOgun: 8:13pm On Nov 27, 2017
PabloAfricanus:

You miss the point really. And your analogy is off. Yoruba rituals and festivals DO NOT HAVE TO MATCH other people's own for there to be a historical link. The Fulanis that took over Ilorin for example do not have a ritual depicting the battles they fought before they took over the city and established an emirate. Are you aware Alimi provided an escourt to take the Alaafin safely back to Oyo after he was captured by Fulani/Hausa soldiers fighting for Afonja? They told him the Aare was gonna spill the Alaafin's blood for sacrifice and he refused to give him up for that purpose.

About Bini and Oduduwa, for starters, if you cared to investigate you would find out that the monarchies in most lands ARE ALMOST ALWAYS FOREIGNERS who where not indigenes in the first place. For example, the royal family of England are not even English, Welsh or Scottish. Same goes for Spain, Netherlands and others.
So your idea of trying to create an exception for Yorubas won't fly because history is not on your side.
All oral and recorded history about Oduduwa repeats one fact, he was welcomed into Ife.

And he was NOT FROM Oke-Ora as you like saying all the time, hear it from the Ooni himself

An indigene cannot arrive to a place where he is indigenous to except language has lost its meaning.
The Oduduwa group were not indigenous to Ife according to historical records, here is a editorial by Eluyemi on the Guardian that HAS NOT BEEN CONTESTED

Let's add more fire to the raging discussion, notice Eluyemi did not say Ife’s autochthonous Ugbo population but Ife’s autochthonous Igbo population. grin shocked
He was referring to Ugbo in Ilaje right? But was he? That must have been a typo on his part right? grin

Some Ife historians mix it up half way and can't seem to make up their minds whether it is Ugbo or Igbo.

Talking about Ugbo, you are going to have to contend with Oba Akinruntan if you want to contest further on Oduduwa's history of not being native to Ife.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/08/27/oba-frederick-obateru-akinruntan-i-am-the-owner-of-ile-ife-i-can-rule-ife-from-my-palace-if-allowed/

Now apparently even Akinruntan bought into the Mecca myth when the proper reference was somewhere to the East. I blame it on literacy or lack of geographical knowledge, as the Mecca fabrication is not only tenable but totally unrealistic IMO.
The point is, it is established that Oduduwa came from somewhere to Ife, was accepted, fought with the native power brokers to establish his dominance and gained ascendancy to start a dynasty.
What you are going to have to prove to me is which independent kingdom goes out to another unrelated kingdom to ask them to supply a king for them if there was no relationship in the first place?
Are you aware of the claims by Ogiamen family in Bini today that the present royal family of Bini are Yorubas and not ethnic Binis? They claim the Oliha back then went to Uhe to bring a Yoruba prince to usurp Ogiamen's authority. History records that the Ogiamen was later defeated and was forced to sell the land symbolically to the new king.
How did the Oliha manage to convince a notoriously difficult people like the Binis to accept a foreign prince as a king, even when an Ogie was already ruling the land?
The history of most peoples in Southern Nigeria is way more related than we care to admit.

BOOM!

DEM GO RUN cheesy

KEEP KILLING THEM !
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Olu317(m): 10:23pm On Nov 27, 2017
PabloAfricanus:

With all these you have informed us all about, it still didn't connect ODU'A ancestors tradition of using RAM for sacrifice to IDU,did it ? . Where was Olofin Admilia/Adimunia connected to OGISO? secondly IFE has moved to different locations more than seven times. Otun Ekiti known as OORE , is the first to announce the death of each Oooni, did mentioned that they emerged from the Sea. And he and others are part of the group loyal Odu'a. Odu'a came from the East.. And the East wasn't IKA /IDU/IGODOMIGODO..

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by odigbosky(m): 7:54am On Nov 28, 2017
Olu317:
Thanks you. I told my ancestors history from what has been passed to me, he said I am boastful. I wonder how some people reason. Thank God that some of us are trying so hard to correct these lies peddled by Oba BINI. Below is the picture of Ooni, which was found in Oba Bini's court. This sculpture showed how Oba BINI reference Ooni and idolised Ooni of IFE. The sculpture is probably a gift sent to Oba BINI or Sculpture carved to reference Ooni.

Idolise who....bros abeg you know your heritage please let it stop dere. You don't know anything about the Benin palace life so dont say what you don't know. Palace life and rituals in Benin are very secret. when Eweka ll was made king, palace functions where done in the night, it was when a saga occured an the Oba was accused of doing rituals that was when they started doing palace functions and meetings in the day time. Not everything on Wikipedia is correct.

2 Likes

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by id2019(m): 9:46am On Nov 28, 2017
The rulers or kings were commonly known as Ogiso. Igodo, the first Ogiso, wielded much influence and gained popularity as a good ruler. He died after a long reign and was succeeded by Ere, his eldest son. In the 12th century, a great palace intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as natural next in line to rule.

The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan later became Izoduwa or Oduduwa the first Oni in uhe (ile ife). Oranmiyan, grand son of Oduduwa took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place, and returned to Yoruba land Ile-Ife. After some years in Ife, he left for Oyo, where he also left a son behind on leaving the place, and his son Ajaka ultimately became the first Alafin of Oyo of the present line, while Oranmiyan himself was reigning as Oni of Ife. Therefore, Oranmiyan of Ife, the father of Eweka I, the Oba of Benin, was also the father of Ajaka, the first Alafin of Oyo. Oni of Ife and Alafe of Oyo.

By the 15th century, Edo as a system of protected settlements expanded into a thriving city-state. In the 15th century, the twelfth Oba in line, Oba Ewuare the Great (1440–1473) would expand the city-state to an empire.

It was not until the 15th century during the reign of Oba Ewuare the Great that the kingdom's administrative centre, the city Ubinu, began to be known as Benin City by the Portuguese, and would later be adopted by the locals as well. Before then, due to the pronounced ethnic diversity at the kingdom's headquarters during the 15th century from the successes of Oba Ewuare, the earlier name ('Ubinu') by a tribe of the Edos was colloquially spoken as "Bini" by the mix of Itsekhiri, Esan, Ika, Ijaw Edo, Urhobo living together in the royal administrative centre of the kingdom. The Portuguese would write this down as Benin City. Though, farther Edo clans, such as the Itsekiris and the Urhobos still referred to the city as Ubini up till the late 19th century, as evidence implies.

Aside from Benin City, the system of rule of the Oba in his kingdom, even through the golden age of the kingdom, was still loosely based after the Ogiso dynasty, which was military and royal protection in exchange of use of resources and implementation of taxes paid to the royal administrative centre. Language and culture was not enforced but remained heterogeneous and localized according to each group within the kingdom, though a local "Enogie" (duke) was often appointed by the Oba for specified ethnic areas.

Oral tradition

Bronze plaque of Benin Warriors with ceremonial swords. 16th–18th centuries, Nigeria.
The first name of the Benin Empire, since its creation some time in the first millennium CE, was Igodomigodo, as called by its own inhabitants. Their ruler was called Ogiso.[3]

Nowadays, nearly 36 known Ogiso are accounted for as rulers of this first form of the state. According to the Edo oral tradition, during the reign of the last Ogiso, his son and heir apparent, Ekaladerhan, was banished from Igodomigodo as a result of one of the Queens having deliberately changed an oracle message to the Ogiso. Prince Ekaladerhan was a powerful warrior and well loved. On leaving Benin he travelled west to the land of the Yoruba where he reportedly became a king. Most Yoruba cultures and festival ethnics are now practiced by Edo such as Ishango, Ogun, Festac of Idia Mother of Oba Esigie of Benin. Also most foods of the Yoruba are now consumed by the Edo, such as Iyan, Eman, Usi, Ighiawo and Ogi

On the death of the last Ogiso, a group of Benin Chiefs led by Chief Oliha came to Ife, pleading with Oduduwa (The Ooni) to come reign as King in Igodomigodo (later known as Benin City in the 15th century during Oba Ewuare) to ascend the throne. Oduduwa's reply was that a ruler cannot leave his domain but he had seven sons and would ask one of them to go back to become the next king there.

An Edo figure from the reign of the oba Esigie (c. 1504-1550) Brooklyn Museum.
Eweka I was the first 'Oba' or king of the new dynasty after the end of the era of Ogiso. He changed the ancient name of Igodomigodo to Edo.

Centuries later, in 1440, Oba Ewuare, also known as Ewuare the Great, came to power and turned the city-state into an empire. It was only at this time that the administrative centre of the kingdom began to be referred to as Ubinu after the Itsekhiri word and corrupted to Bini by the Itsekhiri, Edo, Urhobo living together in the royal administrative centre of the kingdom. The Portuguese who arrived on expedition led by Joao Afonso de Aveiro in 1485 would refer to it as Benin and the centre would become known as Benin City and its empire Benin Empire.

The Ancient Benin Empire, as with the Oyo Empire which eventually gained political ascendancy over even Ile-Ife, gained political strength and ascendancy over much of what is now Mid-Western and Western Nigeria, with the Oyo Empire bordering it on the west, the Niger river on the east, and the northerly lands succumbing to Fulani Muslim invasion in the North. Interestingly, much of what is now known as Western Iboland and even Yorubaland was conquered by the Benin Kingdom in the late 19th century – Agbor (Ika), Akure, Owo and even the present day Lagos Island, which was named "Eko" meaning "War Camp" by the Bini.

Nowadays, scientists discovered out that the Edo people did not have a writing system, but their art work, had let the scientists discover their true history. Including the armor, magnificent drawing skills.

Golden Age

Benin city in the 17th century.
The Oba had become the mount of power within the region. Oba Ewuare, the first Golden Age Oba, is credited with turning Benin City into City States from a military fortress built by Ogiso, protected by moats and walls. It was from this bastion that he launched his military campaigns and began the expansion of the kingdom from the Edo-speaking heartlands.

Oba Ewuare was a direct descendant of Eweka I great grandson of Oduduwa, Oni of Ife.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Reply)

What Island Has The Prettiest Girls In The Carribean? / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.