Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,406 members, 7,781,180 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:17 AM

Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (79214 Views)

Benin, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe / ICYMI: Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe / Benin, Not Yoruba Are Original Owners Of Lagos - Ajayi Bembe Chief Layi Ajayi-be (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by YourNemesis: 12:53pm On Nov 19, 2017
flyover30:
if u say so,no problem. but I do know DAT Bini culture and tradition is far superior to DAT of the yoruba

lool elaborate more abeg.
Those so called bini gods are from Yorubaland. Ogun was an Ekiti warrior who founded Ire. Sango/Isango was an Oyo man. Esu, Ifa, Orunmila, Olokun etcc all Yoruba.

You people even call sacrifice Ebo. grin
There are so many Yoruba words in edo language as well. Do not think the Binis have some kind of monopoly of influence. grin

Iyan (pounded yam), Ogban (30), Aga (Chair), Gedu (Timber), Ewu (Blouse/clothing top), Iyi (Honor), Agan (Barren), Bata (Shoe), Ishana (Matchstick), Oko (Canoe), Ologbo (Cat), Elubo (Flour), Ago (Camp), Abe (Blade/Razor), Agbo (Ram), Adugbo (which ypu people call “Edogbo”)-Neighborhood, Pataki/Kpataki (Important). Etc etc. Too numerous to enumerate here.

There are also towns in Edo with their origin in IFE. Go and do your research well and come back.

Lets us look at Nigeria right now... give 3 examples of how so called bini culture is superior to yoruba culture like you say.

Waiting....

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by vickydarlintin(m): 12:54pm On Nov 19, 2017
I think should settle it

2 Likes

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by superstar1(m): 12:55pm On Nov 19, 2017
flyover30:
if u say so,no problem. but I do know DAT Bini culture and tradition is far superior to DAT of the yoruba

We equally agree, but it does not negate the fact that

1. Our ancestor established the current lineage of Obas in Bini

2. You worship our gods.

3. The crown of Oba is our crown

4. The title of an Oba is Yorubas. Bini used to call theirs Ogiso.

5. We have a bigger kingdom.

6. The name of your city Benin was named by us - Ile Ibinu.

With all these, we agree that you are superior. Sarcasm!!!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Habakus: 12:55pm On Nov 19, 2017
Gotze1:
Let the bini be bold to come out and fight it out na. They should be ready to jump over ondo, osun, ogun, b oyo to claim Lagos. We are waiting. Besides, which one do we take now, bini land or no man's land?
Your comment shows you don't know geography at all.
Get hold of a map, study it very well and come and tell us that the only way to enter Lagos is from those places you mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by remsonik(f): 12:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
LaExpert:
The article is faulty.

The original inhabitants of Lagos are the Eguns, Aworis and some other smaller Yoruba communities.

The Bini only came to rule at some point and left hence the reason you'll find Bini related names and history in Lagos. Even the Binis know that they cannot lay claim to Lagos.

Just like Nigeria, they had inhabitants before the Arabs then British came to rule at some point and left. That's why you'll find British history and names in many parts of Nigeria especially in Lagos. The reality is that they do not own Nigeria.
Thank you for this post. Even the smaller binis that came to rule in Lagos then had their ancestral lineage from ile-ife. Mr Bembe is wrong!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by flyover30(m): 12:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
YourNemesis:

lool elaborate more abeg.
Those so called bini gods are from Yorubaland. Ogun was an Ekiti warrior from Iree. Sango/Isango was an Oyo man. Esu, Ifa, Orunmila, Olokun etcc all Yoruba.

You people even call sacrifice Ebo. grin

Lets us look at Nigeria right now... give 3 examples of how so called bini culture is superior to yoruba culture like you say.

Waiting....
read history, the binis are superior. am telling u.can't dig facts right now,in d office on Sunday.imagine.
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Crazytrump(m): 12:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
If them deport una go una potopoto region now, them go dey cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Danladi7: 12:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
MrDude:
We the enlightened ones already knew the fact. Let Yorubas keep deceiving themselves
people deceiving themselves know grin

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by infofta(m): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2017
I was taught in history back then that a chief was banished from Bini kingdom to exile and he went to Lagos. After so many years he became a chief or oba in Lagos. Bini kingdom used to be very large before the British invaded and conquered the kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Gotze1: 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2017
giftq:

Igbo amaka
Stop displaying otunba balogun's house poor igbo man.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by YourNemesis: 12:58pm On Nov 19, 2017
flyover30:
read history, the binis are superior. am telling u.can't dig facts right now,in d office on Sunday.imagine.

You keep typing rubbish.

Superior in what na?

I asked the other guy or was it you to give three examples and I am yet to see anything.

Ife art predates Edo art.

Let’s start from that.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by superstar1(m): 12:59pm On Nov 19, 2017
flyover30:

Which fact do you need a whole day to dig out? Is your ancestral history not meant to be at your finger tip?

Abeg park well

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by nengibo: 12:59pm On Nov 19, 2017
Efewestern:

I hail oo.

you were the supporting Edo the other day when they were laying claim to ijaw land, now here u are saying otherwise.

lol.. NA so, grin. grin

Dats an Afonja man for you, double faced like a cassete

3 Likes

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by remsonik(f): 1:00pm On Nov 19, 2017
Blackfyre:

Not anymore but they did before right? I believe I acknowledged this bit in the post you quoted so I don't know what makes you feel I need to read up.

However, the question still remains, from the time of King Ado l, the Benin prince, the ancestry of the royal families of Lagos Island are Benin, aren't they?

Their ancestry is not Benin. Before Ado came there were white cap chiefs ruling families.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Efewestern: 1:00pm On Nov 19, 2017
Blackfyre:

You dey mind am grin

we should always support the right thing at all time, that day The edos were laying claim to ijaw land and even expected the ijaws not to have a king.

I said this is wrong and uncalled for, laudate jumped in , started supporting the binis, grin Now Bini don say Lagos na their land E they talk another thing.

lol.

grin

4 Likes

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by YourNemesis: 1:01pm On Nov 19, 2017
flyover30:

And where do you think I am?

I am serving you example hot hot of Yoruba influence on Edo and what can you give me?

Referring me elsewhere to go and research. Research what exactly? cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by flyover30(m): 1:01pm On Nov 19, 2017
YourNemesis:

You keep typing rubbish.

Superior in what na?

I asked the other guy or was it you to give three examples and I am yet to see anything.

Ife art predates Edo art.

Let’s start from that.
we are discussing.even if ur facts are more accurate more than mine,it shouldn't give room for insult.come on.

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by superstar1(m): 1:01pm On Nov 19, 2017
infofta:
I was taught in history back then that a chief was banished from Bini kingdom to exile and he went to Lagos. After so many years he became a chief or oba in Lagos. Bini kingdom used to be very large before the British invaded and conquered the kingdom.

At its peak, the Kingdom of Yorubas stretched from Ore down to part of Ghana, from Lokoja to Sabe in Benin Republic, From Jebba down to Igbokoda.

Our forefathers were warriors and military machine that either conquer you or annihilate you totally.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2017
ProWalker:

He would not leave the place a whole human being, i can assure you.
He too saw the setting and he immediately saw the danger, hence his reconcilatory posture grin
You see eh, no body has the monopoly of inflicting injuries.
Do you ever think of being the victim? Or, do u just think straightforward?
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by gemtlesoul123: 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2017
ajayi is fool bini is no where to find in history Lagos bini was only a fish killer and seller

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Adebowale89(m): 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2017
ChilledPill:

Thats why I said that yoruba people are a different kind of creatures they are not real like the rest of us!

Can someone tell me where in the write up did this fool see Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB

Countless nightmares await you yorubas because Lagos is and will remain a no mans land.

and why should u use python 1 post to generalize Yoruba people if your brain is intact.

that aside if Lagos remain no man's land, what then would happen next? you guys debate on unnecessary talk made me to think if climatic condition affect human instinct

@d topic, Lagos and Benin has been inseparable for a decade, infact most of this Benin bear Yoruba names. we just need to live up to that bitter truth

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by omoiyalayi(m): 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2017
They shld come & take it na

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by YourNemesis: 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
flyover30:
we are discussing.even if ur facts are more accurate more than mine,it shouldn't give room for insult.come on.

Okay but did I insult you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:
Mr Ajayi you and Bini kingdom are subservient to the crown at Ile-Ife
The Bini Kingdom is subservient to none
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by successinlife: 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
There should be no argument about this,the settlers from Benin owns lagos the man claimed,he knows he is a benin man and benin is located in the midwest part of Nigeria.If migrants claims a country,mungo park should claim the ownership of Nigeria.Mungo park died and he could not move his discovery to England.First settlers are different from indegines,because Yoruba people are welcoming and accommodating all tribes want to claim their land.My take on the whole bruhaha is that the man should go back to his Bini land and leave Lagos for the indigines.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Efewestern: 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
nengibo:
Dats an ***** man for you, double faced like a cassete
lol.. grin. grin

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by LaExpert: 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2017
ritababe:

he was the first to rule, before him Yoruba had no king, why do you think till today they still honor him like a god?

its not subservient even your Ooni has clerified that.

Yoruba's honour Oduduwa because he was their first king and he came at a time their Oracles told them someone powerful is coming to their territory to rule them...they rightly identified Oduduwa when he came and made him king.

Before him, the Yoruba's just had mainly Baales and Baloguns.
They had other smaller kings too in other sub territories (like the Ugbo in Ondo state) but they had limited powers. Oduduwa was the first general king.

As for the bold, kindly provide a reference to what you claim the Ooni has clarified.

As it stands, the throne of the Ooni is superior to and older than that of the Oba of Bini, the Oba of Bini is a descendant of the Ooni.

However, the throne of the Ooni was from the Ogiso of Bini (the rulers in Binis first dynasty) which is no longer in existence... the banishment of Oduduwa caused the shift in power. Now, Bini has Oba, not Ogiso.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Gotze1: 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2017
Habakus:

Your comment shows you don't know geography at all.
Get hold of a map, study it very well and come and tell us that the only way to enter Lagos is from those places you mentioned.
Yeah, OK, let me agree that I don't know geography as you claimed. But please, can you mention any other route from Benin to Lagos. I will appreciate if you can since you surely k owing geography. Oh, na habakus again. Habakus, the geographer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by flyover30(m): 1:06pm On Nov 19, 2017
YourNemesis:

Okay but did I insult you?
its OK,u said am typing rubbish. I give up.probably u are correct.
Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by PVision2020(m): 1:09pm On Nov 19, 2017
An utterly confused man...I guess Olayiwola Ajayi that he and his ancestors bears too is a Bini name.
Imagine the man saying aworis are Bini .
Eti Osa LGA is the ancestral land of the Aworis. The whole of Lekki/Epe are part of the Ijebu kingdom.
The fact that Lagos island (not Lagos) once fall under the colony of Bini, doesn't make them the owners of the land, the same way Nigeria doesn't belong to the British.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by Aeesha2: 1:10pm On Nov 19, 2017
This man has said it all. Ask the Oba of Lagos and the Obi of Onitsha. They will tell you he has said the truth.
#proudly Edo anywhere.
The person above is saying ghurbish

1 Like

Re: Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe by superstar1(m): 1:11pm On Nov 19, 2017
LaExpert:

Yoruba's honour Oduduwa because he was their first king and he came at a time their Oracles told them someone powerful is coming to their territory to rule them...they rightly identified Oduduwa when he came and made him king.

Before him, the Yoruba's just had mainly Baales and Baloguns.
They had other smaller kings too in other sub territories (like the Ugbo in Ondo state) but they had limited powers. Oduduwa was the first general king.

As for the bold, kindly provide a reference to what you claim the Ooni has clarified.

As it stands, the throne of the Ooni is superior to and older than that of the Oba of Bini, the Oba of Bini is a descendant of the Ooni.

However, the throne of the Ooni was from the Ogiso of Bini (the rulers in Binis first dynasty) which is no longer in existence... the banishment of Oduduwa caused the shift in power. Now, Bini has Oba, not Ogiso.

Another revisionist at work!!!

Finally you guys are agreeing that your throne belongs to us.

We have no relationship with your Ogiso or whatever they are bearing.

Go and look for your lost son in the midst of the Igbos or Ijaws

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) / Ethiopian Women Beaten Before They Marry (Photos) / What Island Has The Prettiest Girls In The Carribean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.