Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,618 members, 7,770,648 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:27 PM

Things You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg’s Past New Year Resolutions - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Things You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg’s Past New Year Resolutions (1191 Views)

Amazing Things You Should Learn From Mark Zuckerberg – Facebook Owner / See Why You Cant Code ( Secret From Mark Zuckerberg) / A Note From Mark Zuckerberg On How He Built Jarvis-his Artificial Intelligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Things You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg’s Past New Year Resolutions by Two5tech: 10:18pm On Nov 19, 2017
“Every year, I take on a personal challenge to learn new things and grow outside my work at Facebook,” Zuckerberg wrote in facebook post last year. From picking up a new language to writing a thank you note every day for a year, each of Zuckerberg’s challenges has served a purpose bigger than himself.

After what Zuckerberg calls a “tumultuous” 2016, the Facebook founder has made it his 2017 resolution to visit and meet people in every state in the U.S. by the end of the year. It’s his goal to learn how people around the country are “living, working and thinking about the future.” Facebook has been a social vehicle that has connected the world and given many people a voice. However in some cases it has also created division. Zuckerberg wants to hear different opinions and voices, figure out how he can empower people and help create a better future.

Personal, social and business challenges inspire Zuckerberg’s yearly resolutions. The challenges never apply to just one area in his life, either — he makes sure that he will benefit from them in a number of ways. Studying Mandarin Chinese in 2010 helped him communicate for business, learn about a different culture and tackle his lifelong struggles with mastering a new language. When he created an AI system, “Jarvis,” to control his home in 2016, he found a way to apply his technical skills and today’s technology to make his life easier.

Check out some of Zuckerberg’s most legendary New Year’s resolutions and discover the larger lessons behind them.

Use technology to make your life easier.
Zuckerberg’s 2016 resolution theme was “invention,” which is why he challenged himself to create an AI system to run his home. By the end of December 2016, Zuckerberg had successfully built “Jarvis” — inspired by Iron Man — that can control appliances, plays music, recognize faces and even entertain his two-year-old daughter. By utilizing today’s technology — which doesn’t necessarily mean building a robot for your house — and challenging yourself to be more inventive, you can find ways to make your life easier and daily routines more efficient.

Educate yourself.
You don’t need to travel to become cultured. Instead, use the resources around you to educate yourself. In 2015, Zuckerberg challenged himself to read a new book every other week in order to learn about different cultures, beliefs, histories and technologies. “Books allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today,” he wrote in a Facebook post.

Practice humility.
In a world where we email or chat a quick “thanks!” to someone, Zuckerberg challenged himself to handwrite or email a thought-out thank-you note to someone every day of the year in 2014. “It’s important to me because I’m a very critical person,” Zuckerberg told Bloomberg. Making a simple expression of gratitude like this a daily habit will help you develop humility and authenticity.

Meet one person a day outside of work.
Don’t let the walls of your office confine and shape those you interact with. Use your time outside of your 9-to-5 to connect with your local community and meet new people. For his 2013 New Year’s resolution, Zuckerberg committed to meeting one person a day outside of Facebook. A few months in, Zuckerberg told Fortune, “It’s going well — I’ve done a bunch of things in the community and just tried to get broader exposure.”

Pay attention to the details.
As a CEO and founder, Zuckerberg isn’t always responsible for micro-level details, although these smaller aspects are fundamental to Facebook’s existence. That’s why he made it his 2012 challenge to code every day in order to better connect with his employees and better understand Facebook at its most granular level, according to Business Insider.

Make a sacrifice.
Zuckerberg’s 2011 challenge was to become a vegetarian and only eat meat that he killed hims
https://whittechblog./2017/04/12/things-you-can-learn-from-mark-zuckerbergs-past-new-year-resolutions/#more-280

Re: Things You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg’s Past New Year Resolutions by LotusFan: 8:11am On Nov 23, 2017
#BeLikeMark

This is deep. It’s inspirational that someone like him would still be trying to educate himself more and more. It’s funny how after school we don’t consider reading books as educating ourselves.

On humility, I wish I could adopt writing thank you notes. Seriously, technology makes it even feel weird to be sending Christmas cards...Forgetting that you will treasure them in years to come...They help your u “remember the time when...” But shebi Facebook has “Memories”

Educate yourself.
You don’t need to travel to become cultured. Instead, use the resources around you to educate yourself. In 2015, Zuckerberg challenged himself to read a new book every other week in order to learn about different cultures, beliefs, histories and technologies. “Books allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today,” he wrote in a Facebook post.

Practice humility.
In a world where we email or chat a quick “thanks!” to someone, Zuckerberg challenged himself to handwrite or email a thought-out thank-you note to someone every day of the year in 2014. “It’s important to me because I’m a very critical person,” Zuckerberg told Bloomberg. Making a simple expression of gratitude like this a daily habit will help you develop humility and authenticity.

1 Like

Re: Things You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg’s Past New Year Resolutions by melodyogonna(m): 9:25am On Nov 23, 2017
Oga seun are you seeing this?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help From Programmers On This / Programmers Around Osogbo Please Help A Beginner. / Who Can Set Up A Bitcoin Mining Farm From Scratch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.