Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,888 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns (33794 Views)

Obaseki Inspects Marine Police Post, 8 Gun Boats, Others In Gelegele Community* / Obaseki Where's Gelegele Sea Port?? / Return The Missing Rifle Or Be Dealt With - Army Warn Ijaw Resident In Gelegele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 30, 2017
Yes Omo n'Oba n'Edo means the king of all Edos.
Not every inch of land has a duke attached to it.
Look villages and towns are not under a kingdom, they are either within the kingdom or without.
No, towns and villages may have princes whom outsiders (especially yoruba) may sometimes confuse with kings but they are subjects of the Oba.
One of my late uncles was an Enogie (his son has that title now), a newspaper called him HRH because nigerians are not very well educated especially in history.
Nigerian Journalists keep refering to the Benin Kingdom as Benin and to Benin City as Benin and to Edo state as Edo, that further confuses the masses. The ooni of ife said :"Benin Kingdom in Edo is yorubaland" What the hell does that mean, Edo state is part of the Benin Kingdom, not the other way around. The thing is that lack of proper education makes nigerians confuse everything. Nigerians just can't get passsed the fact that Benin City and Benin Kingdom are two different things. Benin City being only the capital of Benin Kingdom.
And now there is even additional confusion because there is a country which renamed itself Benin republic in the 70's and because of that nigerians are even more confused.

Agbaletu:
historyworld030, before the recent coronation that was stopped, who was the head of Gelegele?
Why did the Gelegele people have to wait till now before installing a king within Bini kingdom since the mentioned place is within the kingdom (Based on the maps)?
Are there any village or town under Bini kingdom with a king?
Does Omo n'Oba n'Edo mean the king of all Edos?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Jaideyone(m): 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2017
monex:

indeed. even the yoruba version of the folklore says the binis were in benin already and chased their Ogiso prince and then requested a Yoruba Prince from Ife to rule them.

the binis say it was the prince ekalederan they chased out who became oduduwa (omo-oduwa they call him).

ignoramus stop twisting our history for us. no prince came from Benin to rule any inch of Yoruba land.

2 Likes

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2017
I wonder for these ijaw, people.
I think they didn't realize that the Oba of Benin is actually the Oba of Benin Kingdom of which the entire Edo state is just a small part.
Lack of education led them into thinking that the Oba of Benin were only the Oba of Benin City.
Even many delta kings have had the honnesty to retrace the source of their authority to the Oba of Benin.
When this war starts, the ijaw will be fighting so many groups whom they don't understand at all.
This is a war which will see their downfall to the pits of hell.

Great2017:

Who are you to speak for them?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Agbaletu: 12:57pm On Nov 30, 2017
historyworld030:
Yes Omo n'Oba n'Edo means the king of all Edos.
Not every inch of land has a duke attached to it.
Look villages and towns are not under a kingdom, they are either within the kingdom or without.
No, towns and villages may have princes whom outsiders (especially yoruba) may sometimes confuse with kings but they are subjects of the Oba.
One of my late uncles was an Enogie (his son has that title now), a newspaper called him HRH because nigerians are not very well educated especially in history.
Nigerian Journalists keep refering to the Benin Kingdom as Benin and to Benin City as Benin and to Edo state as Edo, that further confuses the masses. The ooni of ife said :"Benin Kingdom in Edo is yorubaland" What the hell does that mean, Edo state is part of the Benin Kingdom, not the other way around. The thing is that lack of proper education makes nigerians confuse everything. Nigerians just can't get passsed the fact that Benin City and Benin Kingdom are two different things. Benin City being only the capital of Benin Kingdom.
And now there is even additional confusion because there is a country which renamed itself Benin republic in the 70's and because of that nigerians are even more confused.

Thanks for the answers. Going by the explanation, there is no reason for the settlers in Gelegele to install a king within the Bini Kingdom. I think at best they can have a High Chief that will be answerable to the Oba just to allow peace to reign...I am not sure if it is allowed.
I have a friend from Uromi, and he is from the royal family. He once told me that their king is either under suspension or dethroned by the former Governor. Does it mean that the head of Uromi is also a Prince and a subject of the Oba and not an Oba on his own?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 30, 2017
With all due respect to your friend, he doesn't seem to have the proper educational baggage on the matter.
Yes the prince of Uromi is a subject to the Oba of Benin.
Jesus, lack of education is really killing nigerians.
Why wouldn't they just start teaching history and social studies in nigerian schools ?

Agbaletu:

Thanks for the answers. Going by the explanation, there is no reason for the settlers in Gelegele to install a king within the Bini Kingdom. I think at best they can have a High Chief that will be answerable to the Oba just to allow peace to reign...I am not sure if it is allowed.
I have a friend from Uromi, and he is from the royal family. He once told me that their king is either under suspension or dethroned by the former Governor. Does it mean that the head of Uromi is also a Prince and a subject of the Oba and not an Oba on his own?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Agbaletu: 1:00pm On Nov 30, 2017
historyworld030:
I wonder for these ijaw, people.
I think they didn't realize that the Oba of Benin is actually the Oba of Benin Kingdom of which the entire Edo state is just a small part.
Lack of education led them into thinking that the Oba of Benin were only the Oba of Benin City.
Even many delta kings have had the honnesty to retrace the source of their authority to the Oba of Benin.
When this war starts, the ijaw will be fighting so many groups whom they don't understand at all.
This is a war which will see their downfall to the pits of hell.

That is the reason why Edo State Government should use his instrument of power to quench the fire now. The war is beyond Benin City...many cities outside Benin City will not allow their Oba to be disgraced by anyone.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Agbaletu: 1:02pm On Nov 30, 2017
historyworld030:
With all due respect to your friend, he doesn't seem to have the proper educational baggage on the matter.
Yes the prince of Uromi is a subject to the Oba of Benin.
Jesus, lack of education is really killing nigerians.
Why wouldn't they just start teaching history and social studies in nigerian schools ?

It is clear now. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 30, 2017
You are welcomed, I have to go and study.
Greetings to all.
Agbaletu:

It is clear now. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Abacino007(m): 1:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
Good day everyone, I wrote my gre exam on 10th of November and I am yet to get my unofficial score from ETS. All what my account keep saying is
- Not Available - Scores are currently not available. Please allow 10-15 days after a computer-delivered test or 5 weeks after a paper-delivered test for your scores to be reported.
I need someone who has experienced this to enlighten me because 15 days has passed. I'm really bothered as I need to send the unofficial copy of my result to Illinois state university. Thanks
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 30, 2017
D battle cry is over.. Now to other serious matters. Give ur life to Jesus Christ.. The things of this world are temporal. The kingdoms of these world are temporal.

1 Like

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by rosebowl01(m): 3:09pm On Nov 30, 2017
ObalufonIII:

The problem with Nigerians [Benin people in this context] is that reading & research is a far removed habit/culture from your lifestyles.

Your lost Binu prince story was a renaissance-esque thought that began in the 80s. A plant that sprouted from the question raised by Prince Edun Akenzua. He said ‘Bini kingdom is surrounded by several kingdoms. Why did Bini have to send to Ife for help to resolve their political imbroglio’ — this birthed the revisionism in Bini history which your Oba brought to full glare with his ‘Obedient servant’ book. Bini history prior to this had no traces of a lost prince, not even in the first indigenously written Bini by Egarevba.

The lost prince theory is hinged on noun rendition - Oduduwa to Izoduwa, two words meaning differnt things with different etymologies.
Oduduwa was an Ife resident, he resided in Ora Hills in More Quarter of Ife. His ancestral settlement has been combed and artefacts were found there but it has not been excavated for it is a sacred and secluded place.

After Oduduwa unified the entire sub-settlements into one, all occupants moved towards the palace [where Ife palace is presently]. Oduduwa moved his people to Idio [it was the previous palace but right beside the present palace]. His family and his settlers from his previous settlements all live there, worship him there and his shrine is there.

Oduduwa had an actual Yoruba name. His name was Osin-Ora. This name is usually guarded heavily, only those belonging to his family cult [non blood relatives could not join until few decades ago], the same way it is only in Ife we have Oduduwa cult and he is the only deity apart from the Supreme God who does not have an effigy. This secrecy dedicated to the man is why not much of his information is out there. The are other families in Ife holding information on Osin-Ora but Ejio family compound for example was the family that went out to meet Oduduwa and his family on the way to welcome him from up the hills - they hid this in the story of Sky Descent theory to prevent people from going to the hill for it is visited only when a new Ooni is to be coronated. He stays there for a while, walks the path Oduduwa took, stops at certain family compounds as he did and heads to his Idio compound.

Oduduwa was a nickname given to him for starting a new era in Ife history. It is different from and has nothing to do with your Izoduwa lost prince. Your theory is synonymous to saying the Ugbo or Igbos Moremi betrayed and triggered their evacuation from Ife are the present Ugbo-Ukwu or Igbo in presentday Nigeria.

Please look for your lost prince in the Atlantic Ocean.

Ife history is well documented in family cults/rituals, orikis & festivals. The latter which, in Ife, is never a funfair stuff but a re-enactment of actual events.

Wow, good job debunking the Benin history rewriting falsehood.

2 Likes

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by monex(m): 3:23pm On Nov 30, 2017
Jaideyone:
ignoramus stop twisting our history for us. no prince came from Benin to rule any inch of Yoruba land.
i did not twist your (Yoruba) history. i said, according to Yoruba history, the the binis requested a Yoruba prince from ife to rule them.

the second version is Benin version that Prince Ekalederan is Oduduwa.

Why are you people so quick to insult online?
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Jaideyone(m): 3:40pm On Nov 30, 2017
monex:

i did not twist your (Yoruba) history. i said, according to Yoruba history, the the binis requested a Yoruba prince from ife to rule them.

the second version is Benin version that Prince Ekalederan is Oduduwa.

Why are you people so quick to insult online?

good. that second version if the fallacy. keep it in the trash can

1 Like

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by valirex: 4:01pm On Nov 30, 2017
Desyner:
Ijaws will go to Lagos to bomb it as a way of spiting Lagosians. Same Ijaws are in the middle of Warri. Ijaws are proving to be the herdsmen of the south.
I thought I was the only one thinking so
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by valirex: 4:08pm On Nov 30, 2017
Jaideyone:
good. that second version if the fallacy. keep it in the trash can
LAWMA give him the trash can na.

stick to your story and don't call other peoples history fallacy until you have a video evidence of yoruba sending a prince to rule other people.
This isn't hollywood movie nor bollywood

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by valirex: 4:12pm On Nov 30, 2017
Agbaletu:

That is the reason why Edo State Government should use his instrument of power to quench the fire now. The war is beyond Benin City...many cities outside Benin City will not allow their Oba to be disgraced by anyone.
Exactly, you are right
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Jaideyone(m): 4:12pm On Nov 30, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[[s][/s]

TRASH!!
lol Mr culture section status
you ran away from the other thread without
1.) showing where I called him a fool
2.) given me a full text of how Yorubas stole your land 200yrs ago
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Jaideyone(m): 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2017
valirex:

LAWMA give him the trash can na.

stick to your story and don't call other peoples history fallacy until you have a video evidence of yoruba sending a prince to rule other people.
This isn't hollywood movie nor bollywood
clown I don't give a Bleep about one Prince that went to Edo. you should go and look for your missing prince in the Atlantic ocean too.

2 Likes

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by valirex: 4:23pm On Nov 30, 2017
Jaideyone:
clown I don't give a Bleep about one Prince that went to Edo. you should go and look for your missing prince in the Atlantic ocean too.

ahh ahh oga lawma go and pack your trash cans before night fall
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Punishment1: 4:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
mr1759:

who is this dullard,

http://www.thecapital.ng/Awujale is a
Sudanese not Yoruba
ijebu king came out and claim they are not Yoruba

Lagos is not Yoruba land

Lagos does not belong to Yorubas -
Oba Akiolu - Daily ... dailypost.ng › News

so as you are trying your best reduce Benin you too should know that there are other ethnic nationality you ppl are forcing to join Yoruba nation

Are you daft? I'm not Yoruba.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by arazanbal: 4:36pm On Nov 30, 2017
the ijaws should be very carefull in handling this gheleghele mata otherwise DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by GEJfan1: 4:41pm On Nov 30, 2017
Why r u guys spoiling for war? D war won't be fought on Nairaland. Upon all d mouth u ppl r making, Biafra army under ojuku didn't waste time before dey conquer ur territories. To hell with ur traditional rulers dat doesn't av constitutional power as high as a local government chairman.. If u kill ur sef over a senseless war, u will be buried in mass without a memorial. Go nd see ppl dat av died due to senseless tribal wars in akwa ibom. Nonsense
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Great2017: 4:43pm On Nov 30, 2017
Punishment1:

And who are you to drag them into your fight with the Ijaws
I never said I will drag them into any fight. It is their exclusive prerogative to decide whether to join the fight or not.

As a matter of concern, when you read, try to understand the content so that you will not make a fool out of yourself in the public space.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Punishment1: 4:54pm On Nov 30, 2017
Great2017:

I never said I will drag them into any fight. It is their exclusive prerogative to decide whether to join the fight or not.

As a matter of concern, when you read, try to understand the content so that you will not make a fool out of yourself in the public space.

I'm not making a fool out of myself. The only people that are looking like fools are the Benin people in this thread.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Great2017: 4:59pm On Nov 30, 2017
Punishment1:

And who are you to drag them into your fight with the Ijaws

It is good to express one's opinion. However, it becomes absurd when your comment is out of context.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Great2017: 5:04pm On Nov 30, 2017
Punishment1:

I'm not making a fool out of myself. The only people that are looking like fools are the Benin people in this thread.
Bravo! I hope this has won you laurels and recognition.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Great2017: 5:05pm On Nov 30, 2017
Punishment1:

Bravo! I hope this has won you laurels and recognition
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Ubenedictus(m): 5:11pm On Nov 30, 2017
liohan:
The problem with Nigerians especially the educated ones is that history seems to be a non-existent event.
First, that folklore is a made up one. No Benin man believes that shit. Benin likely migrated from the Noks, many of their art and metal works show that.
Then the other issue here, which is whether Ijaw residence have the right to constitute a ruler over their domain.
Legitimately, there is nothing wrong with that. Gele-Gele might not be Benin land. Because at the height of its power Benin Kingdom extend to present day Togo. Gele-Gele, The region around Edo, Delta and Kogi States were vassal states to Benin with many of them claiming origin from Benin.
Whether the Ijaws in Gele-Gele migrated to the region or they are aborigines. Living there for centuries have made them owners of the land. Note that it is this same issue that is the bone of contention between Israel and Palestine, the former argues that they lived in the land before the Arabs and the Turks expelled them from the land.
Besides, where would people who have lived in an area for centuries mass-evacuate to?
Is it that they should not have a leader over themselves because of a traditional folk tale that is centuries old? Bleep that! Benin should also tell Lagos not to have an Oba because Lagos was once a colony.
After all this we should know that except Benin becomes a country, all lands belongs to Nigeria. Lands that have no direct ownership except on the mouths of folk tale tellers, should not be an avenue for a bigger group to lord over a smaller one.
legitimately you can't wake up one morning and declare yourself king on another mans land.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

INEC Boss, Mike Instructed Me To Cancel Akpabio's Votes" / Pictures From Peter Obi's Campaign Rally In Akure, Ondo State / Pressure On Peter Obi To Run As Vice To Atiku In 2027 - NationalDaily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.