Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns (33795 Views)

Obaseki Inspects Marine Police Post, 8 Gun Boats, Others In Gelegele Community* / Obaseki Where's Gelegele Sea Port?? / Return The Missing Rifle Or Be Dealt With - Army Warn Ijaw Resident In Gelegele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Afriifa(m): 8:18pm On Nov 29, 2017
Alexus23:

Did you not read his comment where he delibrately berated Igbos? he is a jack ass
who berated Igbos? in which of my comments? guy please stop spewing trash to win sympathy from the Igbos. dis is withing Edo N Ijaws leave the Igbos out of it. they have a lot of issues to deal with already. asshole.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Provalker: 8:21pm On Nov 29, 2017
Ijaws own the land in contention, Benin people should respect themselves.

1 Like

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Yyeske(m): 8:22pm On Nov 29, 2017
Afriifa:
who berated Igbos? in which of my comments? guy please stop spewing trash to win sympathy from the Igbos. dis is withing Edo N Ijaws leave the Igbos out of it. they have a lot of issues to deal with already. asshole.
Easy bro, please let it end there and nothing Igbo would come up here but you guys should settle this dangerous drift amicably.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Thewesterner(m): 8:24pm On Nov 29, 2017
When the hunter becomes the hunted...
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Funkybabee(f): 8:24pm On Nov 29, 2017
Elose11:
My friend, you started well until you began delving into your so called Benin folklore you know next to nothing about. That so called folklore is as told by the Ijaw.
Benin never migrated from Ife. The Benin folklore says that their ancestors originated from the sky. Therefore, the Benin king then was known as Ogiso, meaning king of the sky.
Ife came in when the kingdom started having internal strives.Since they could not agree on a king among themselves, they then send to their prince who had earlier fled to Ife to escape been killed to come and rule over them.
It was this Benin prince who had become a ruler in ife and is now called oduduwa, that sent his son to rule Benin.
As you can see, my friend, there is no where in Benin folklore where it was said that the Benins migrated from Ife. It was only a Benin prince who had now become the ruler of ife, that sent his son, oranmiyan, to rule Benin in his stead. And only when the Benins requested him to come over and rule over them

That is your ogiso version not Egharevba's version....you guys migrated from Ife ....since Ife is the origin of Yoruba

1 Like

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 29, 2017
MasterChen:

Hahaha. I feel you with the emboldened grin

I wonder why we don't wear beads anymore sef. E come be like say na dem get am

Egbon mi,

That question go difficult small o but I think na part of political evolution for Yoruba land. I read someone’s work, I think Prof. Ade Obayemi, he described the stages of royal insignia in Yoruba land to have started from certain leaves for crown [akoko leaves in my own example], to animal skin/part [leopard skin in my own example and I also read lions were required as part of Ooni’s coronation rituals and also the fly whisk/irukere], to metal headgear [the type the first Akire had] to beads [made popular by Olokun], white beads/sese efun [made popular by Obatala and his offsprings in Ifon, Owu & so on] and then crowns made of different coloured beads [made popular by Obalufon (II) Alayemore].

I can not remember the text word for word right now and I also added my own examples. I think we may have evolved from beads to crown. As you can see, they have no crown over there.

4 Likes

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Yyeske(m): 8:26pm On Nov 29, 2017
I've learnt so much history on this thread but conflicting narratives from both sides and I'm really confused, who can please give us an unbiased account of the Ijaws and the Binis as relating to this topic?
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 29, 2017
Ten06:

I believe somebody has already gone to the villa to report the issue some few days ago, it's like they are waiting for them to start crowning again so that they can be picked up and locked up like ezazaki and Kanu

Nice report. Thanks

Over and out
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 29, 2017
Afriifa:
Hmmm. at least they are wise enough to read truths.

Nothing will happen to the Benin Kingdom
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 29, 2017
You guys say you love those ijaw in gelegele, but you keep playing with their lives.
What is your purpose ?
It is clearly established that Gelegele is part of the Benin Kingdom.
The matter has already been to court in the past.
The proof is still available, yet you just keep making the same silly claims.
Provalker:
Ijaws own the land in contention, Benin people should respect themselves.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Afriifa(m): 8:29pm On Nov 29, 2017
Yyeske:
Easy bro, please let it end there and nothing Igbo would come up here but you guys should settle this dangerous drift amicably.
No dis thing is becoming too much.. dis Oba of himself feels like he's the King of Niger Delta ought to be worshipped by everyone.. the Ijaws in Edo has always been treated as second class citizens.. now they want their pere and dis selfish oba is objecting. n instead of dis self acclaimed educated people to reason and solve this peacefully. a governor publicly threaten to jail those involved in the coronation... what d hell does he think he is.... i leant from books. the binis met the Ijaws in d Delta. nobody can dispute dat.. we welcome other tribes because we never had much interests in the inlands. we were more interested in water ways because that's predominately our livelihood. so how d hell will d bini claim to be land owners because their Oba is there?.

2 Likes

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Afriifa(m): 8:32pm On Nov 29, 2017
historyworld030:
You guys say you love those ijaw in gelegele, but you keep playing with their lives.
What is your purpose ?
It is clearly established that Gelegele is part of the Benin Kingdom.
The matter has already been to court in the past.
The proof is still available, yet you just keep making the same silly claims.
you will can only masturbate about dat issue online. i will fvck u back to d yorubas in ife as slaves. nonesense
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 29, 2017
The matter had already been decided in court in the 80's I think, so why not go through the ruling.
Some migrants are trying to crown a person in parts of an already established Kingdom.

Yyeske:
I've learnt so much history on this thread but conflicting narratives from both sides and I'm really confused, who can please give us an unbiased account of the Ijaws and the Binis as relating to this topic?
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Uyiii: 8:33pm On Nov 29, 2017
Afriifa:
can't spell within because of your stupid argument or you're ordinarily a dullard.
I've observed how you've been tryna cause a mishap between binis n yorubas in this small thread just to garner stupid likes and supports from them, crafty/devious entitiesundecided

I thought you should know the Oba of benin arrived today, no too much noise idiot cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Afriifa(m): 8:36pm On Nov 29, 2017
Yyeske:
http://thepointernewsonline.com/?p=38648
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 29, 2017
I once saw one ijaw man mistreating one white girl when I was in france. I regret why I didn't kick his ass.
I told him to take it easy and that he shouldn't treat her like that.
Jeez I should have kicked his ass.

Afriifa:
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 29, 2017
So the guy who wrote that book must have been alive to see the Edo come into the niger delta and meet the ijaw ?
For your info the Benin Kingdom is at least one thousand years old.
I would love to see that guy who was there to witness the events and write the book long before any person who could write ever visited the region.

All precolonial maps show Gelegele as being part of the Benin kingdom, but I guess your magical unknown book has it otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlUMUGUorw

Some ancient maps of Benin Kingdom:

This one dates to around 1699:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595525w/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595527q/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

Afriifa:
No dis thing is becoming too much.. dis Oba of himself feels like he's the King of Niger Delta ought to be worshipped by everyone.. the Ijaws in Edo has always been treated as second class citizens.. now they want their pere and dis selfish oba is objecting. n instead of dis self acclaimed educated people to reason and solve this peacefully. a governor publicly threaten to jail those involved in the coronation... what d hell does he think he is.... i leant from books. the binis met the Ijaws in d Delta. nobody can dispute dat.. we welcome other tribes because we never had much interests in the inlands. we were more interested in water ways because that's predominately our livelihood. so how d hell will d bini claim to be land owners because their Oba is there?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 29, 2017
Keep playing with those people's lives, when the shit hits the fan, you will be the only ones to blame.
I am only wondering why they can't see that some people who claim to be their brothers are using them as sacrificial lambs.
Afriifa:
you will can only masturbate about dat issue online. i will fvck u back to d yorubas in ife as slaves. nonesense
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2017
historyworld030:
What was decorating your "kings" palace when the british arrived ?
And what wars did your "kings" fight against the british ?
Which ones of your kings got exiled by the british ?
You are just like the illiterate who claims he thought a professor how to read.

This is very pedestrian but I’ll engage you just to box you up in a corner.

If you want to know about my king before the British arrived go and read what your king told the Portuguese explorers in the 15/16th century about my king, Oghene n’uhe.

Also go and read about the Egba & Ijebu wars against the British.

Also, go and read about Eleko Kosoko.

7 Likes

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Alexus23: 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2017
Yyeske:
I did and that was why I didn't want anybody to mention Igbo again after you did, we need to quench the taste for problem between both groups instead of bringing the Igbos into the fray.
Noted... No problem.

1 Like

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Afriifa(m): 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2017
historyworld030:
So the guy who wrote that book must have been alive to see the Edo come into the niger delta and meet the ijaw ?
For your info the Benin Kingdom is at least one thousand years old.
I would love to see that guy who was there to witness the events and write the book long before any person who could write ever visited the region.

All precolonial maps show Gelegele as being part of the Benin kingdom, but I guess your magical unknown book has it otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlUMUGUorw

Some ancient maps of Benin Kingdom:

This one dates to around 1699:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595525w/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595527q/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

if its a lie why r u so uncomfortable, u av an Oba n a Governor to defend it.. but i av truth on my side, so neither ur selfish oba or ur stupid Governor can hide it.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Afriifa(m): 8:47pm On Nov 29, 2017
historyworld030:
I once saw one ijaw man mistreating one white girl when I was in france. I regret why I didn't kick his ass.
I told him to take it easy and that he shouldn't treat her like that.
Jeez I should have kicked his ass.

just as ur bini mothers n sisters has been killing their white hubbies to claim their wealths, becux of greed. so as ur greedy oba trying to claim gelegele-gbene.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 29, 2017
Dude, I keep wondering if it is actually possible to have a logical conversation with you guys.
I am not asking you to send me to a boook written recently and whose authors are pretending to narrate an event which allegedly happened some 500 years before the author was born.
I am asking you for a very simple thing: what was decorating the palaces of your "kings" when the british arrived ?
If you want to make a claim, provide historical documents to prove it !
You claim that "yoruba" taught Edo how to make Edo Bronzes, then where were the bronzes decorating "yoruba kings" palaces ?
Which of your "kings" were exiled by the british ?

ObalufonIII:

This is very pedestrian but I’ll engage you just to box you up in a corner.

If you want to know about my king before the British arrived go and read what your king told the Portuguese explorers in the 15/16th century about my king, Oghene n’uhe.

Also go and read about the Egba & Ijebu wars against the British.

Also, go and read about Eleko Kosoko.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Afriifa(m): 8:50pm On Nov 29, 2017
Uyiii:

can't spell within because of your stupid argument or you're ordinarily a dullard.
I've observed how you've been tryna cause a mishap between binis n yorubas in this small thread just to garner stupid likes and supports from them, crafty/devious entitiesundecided

I thought you should know the Oba of benin arrived today, no too much noise idiot cool
so covered because you are not my lecturer. u don't mark my scripts, so face the water if you know how to swim stop calculating the length.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Funkybabee(f): 8:53pm On Nov 29, 2017
odigbosky:

make una leave us alone oooooo
we no gree....we no be afonja....shuo
na force to be afonja again....today u guys would be hating..2moro u guys will be claiming us....and please even before Oronmiyan we had an Ogiso called Obagodo...so Oba aint a yoruba word only.....So bros park well no vex

Wish ijaw can deal well with you so that you can cry me a river to Ife agian and asked Oni to rescued u since your stupid always say you shouldn't claim yoruba and all your children name were Yoruba finished......

Just mind you...we didn't send u away na ur arrogant and Angry makes you to stay alone and not associate with your brother.....you can come any time u are ready to claim ur origin ....ur life is like a prodigal son ,finished it a..............

2 Likes

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Alexus23: 8:54pm On Nov 29, 2017
This issue should be settled amicably. No need to be beating the drum of war. Its the ordinary man that suffers in every conflict.
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 29, 2017
All you have is delusion. I have proven to you that you are not telling the truth.
Afriifa:
if its a lie why r u so uncomfortable, u av an Oba n a Governor to defend it.. but i av truth on my side, so neither ur selfish oba or ur stupid Governor can hide it.

1 Like

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Killurself: 8:56pm On Nov 29, 2017
historyworld030:
Ijaw, you guys need to stop your fabrications, and get more educated. Edo history is too well documented. And contrary to what you think, the Oba of Benin is not just the Oba of Benin City. His real title is Omo n'Oba n'Edo. He is the King of the Benin Kingdom. Benin City is only the capital of the Benin Kingdom, not the Kingdom itself ! Edo state is a small part of the Kingdom and you ijaw are trying to crown a "king" in a part of an already established kingdom. I hope you people can understand this and stop your madness ! When you migrate into an area, try and learn the history of the land. Don't just start making claims of "we were here first" and don't start "crowning" your "son" in a foreign land, you might get slaughtered by the owners of the land. This is an advise and a warning!
Ijaws are most dangerous ethnic in Nigeria after fulanis, even fulanis won't claim your land but if you give ijaw your water side to build house or do fishing, you're already in future problem as that generation died you're already create future problem for your unborn child. I thank God as West are little far to them is only ondo state we've part of them but in Lagos they can claim that their ancestors owned Lagos. Very barbaric, uneducated, uncivilized in fact see what is happened in ondo state especially ilajes and other mixed yoruba ijaws communities, ijaws has turned most of them to militants that's only what they can contribute to Nigeria,rebel against their country, they never stay without causing problems with another ethnic, ijaw fight itshekiri becos of local government burned many itshekiri village and even stayed and claim it eg ABITEYE in delta, fighting with urhobo in delta. Pls we should be careful of who we accommodate and proper document must involve.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Yyeske(m): 8:56pm On Nov 29, 2017
historyworld030:
The matter had already been decided in court in the 80's I think, so why not go through the ruling.
Some migrants are trying to crown a person in parts of an already established Kingdom.

If the case is in court the governor shouldn't have said anything about it, he should just go through the court and the the Ijaws people shouldn't have proceeded with the coronation of Pere until the case has been given a final verdict
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:58pm On Nov 29, 2017
Elose11:
My friend, you started well until you began delving into your so called Benin folklore you know next to nothing about. That so called folklore is as told by the Ijaw.
Benin never migrated from Ife. The Benin folklore says that their ancestors originated from the sky. Therefore, the Benin king then was known as Ogiso, meaning king of the sky.
Ife came in when the kingdom started having internal strives.Since they could not agree on a king among themselves, they then send to their prince who had earlier fled to Ife to escape been killed to come and rule over them.
It was this Benin prince who had become a ruler in ife and is now called oduduwa, that sent his son to rule Benin.
As you can see, my friend, there is no where in Benin folklore where it was said that the Benins migrated from Ife. It was only a Benin prince who had now become the ruler of ife, that sent his son, oranmiyan, to rule Benin in his stead. And only when the Benins requested him to come over and rule over them

Hogwash !
Re: Gelegele-gbene And The Ijaw, Benin Crisis – Before Edo State Burns by Yyeske(m): 8:58pm On Nov 29, 2017
Afriifa:
http://thepointernewsonline.com/?p=38648
From that link, it shows the Ijaws had lived in that area before the Binis and are aboriginal to the land

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Pictures From Peter Obi's Campaign Rally In Akure, Ondo State / Our Party Leaders Are Fraudulent, Shameful And Dishonest – Yakubu Dogara Group / Caption This Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.