Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,768 members, 7,798,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President (910 Views)

Eu Parliament Moves Motion Against Violation Of Citizen Nnamdi Kanu's Right / Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / 200 Reps Sign Impeachment Motion Against Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by Beaf: 11:55pm On Mar 24, 2010
[size=14pt]Bankole stops motion against acting president[/size]
From JAMES OJO, Abuja
Thursday, March 25, 2010

A deft move by the leadership of the House of Representatives yesterday stalled a motion to curtail the power of the Acting President, Goodluck Jonathan.
Daily Sun gathered that the motion would have come under matter of urgent national importance since it was not listed on the order paper, while it was confirmed that the motion was being sponsored by members from Katsina State.

It was gathered that the Speaker, Dimeji Bankole had approved the motion to be moved, but later had a rethink when some members of the leadership and his kitchen cabinet pointed to him the implication of such motion.
Some members, who preferred to attend to committee assignments had to rush back to the chamber when information reached them that a motion against the acting president was in the offing, with active support of the leadership.

“We are returning to the chamber, when we hear that a motion to challenge the acting president will be moved. If such is allowed, this House is finished. How can anybody contemplate such thing? Do they want Nigerians to stone us? Haba, these people should stop ridiculing the House. “This is not the time to do things that will make the people to stage protest castigating us,” a member said on his way to the chamber.

But the sponsors of the motion insisted that the motion has become imperatives to protect President Umaru Yar’Adua, who is recuperating and his family.
According to one of the sponsors, who craved for anonymity since the leadership prevented the motion from been moved, reports in the media showed that the safety of the president and his household was at risk.

“What we are reading in some newspapers, which I have copies suggests to me and other well meaning Nigerians and indeed, my constituents, I mean the people of Katsina State that the safety, security and comfort of President Yar’Adua and his immediate family is being threatened. “I make reference to the publication of SundayTrust of Mrach 21, 2010, that suggests that there is an attempt to deny President Yar’Adua the services of his Chief Security Officer [CSO and his Aide De Camp [ADC] and this attempt is not in any way denied or countered.

“I am also drawing the attention of my colleagues to Sunday Sun of March 21st 2010 with a reference to an interview granted by a prominent Nigerian, suggesting a threat to Mr President’s personal security and safety,” the member observed.

Another supporter of the motion from the South East argued that any threat to the security and the welfare of the president and his immediate family was contrary to section 14 [2] [b] of the 1999 constitution.
“It was the leaders who prevailed on us not to move the motion , they asked us to do more consultation because they were afraid that such a motion will polarize the House and that they don’t want it. They said that we should take the motion to the North East caucus.

“But we told them that we have done enough consultation and truly, we were surprised the way members showed interest, the truth is that we are ready for the motion. This is not about the North, we are talking about the president of Nigeria ,” the said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/mar/25/national-25-03-2010-002.htm
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by Beaf: 11:56pm On Mar 24, 2010
What is wrong with people?
Is power by force or does Nigeria belong to Yar Adua?
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by Kobojunkie: 11:59pm On Mar 24, 2010
I see everyone is now playing last minute switcheroo/ maneuvers like Dora the explorer did. WOOHOO!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by marvix(m): 12:23am On Mar 25, 2010
I think d question is "is the Presidents security under any threat?"
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by Nobody: 12:55am On Mar 25, 2010
marvix:

I think d question is "is the Presidents security under any threat?"

I also think that a prelude to your own question is whether the House Members trying to protect the Security of the President have actually seen the President?

I wish they moved the motion, they would have simply re-opened the question of where Yar'adua is. They the House Members can not try to protect the Security of an un-existent President.
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by ojimboIV: 1:17am On Mar 25, 2010
comedy galore.
sunday trust = daily trust grin grin grin
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by DeepSoul(f): 1:50am On Mar 25, 2010
I am disappointed that Bankole even considered it in the first place.

What is wrong with these people, really?
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by PapaBrowne(m): 2:03am On Mar 25, 2010
Desperation at its vertex! These guys are losers. They should freaking accept they've lost out in the power play and move on to something else.
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by sojjy: 5:41am On Mar 25, 2010
They are losers looking for political relevance.As far as am concerned,Yar'adua and his sycophants in the house of rep. were majorly interested in Power and not the development of this nation.It's a new dawn.
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by princekevo(m): 6:56am On Mar 25, 2010
“But we told them that we have done enough consultation and truly, we were surprised the way members showed interest, the truth is that we are ready for the motion. This is not about the North, we are talking about the president of Nigeria ,” the said.

Some people in that house of rep and senate are good to be paraded naked on the street as they have lost their mind and sense of reasoning. So they still believe that a dead man no one has seen for 4months remains our president either he is dead or alive.
That is why i have said it before that Yarasick should be impeacehed, either dead or alive to save us from all these confusions and madness.
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by Demdem(m): 7:05am On Mar 25, 2010
Cant this guy just resigned? i wonder if there will be any treat (if at all there is 1 presently) if this is done. Nonsense.
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 25, 2010
Is Yar'Adua alive? That's the question those thieves in House of Reps need to be asking. How many people have seen him since his purported return to the country many weeks ago?
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by nabiz(m): 11:33am On Mar 25, 2010
Bankole i may say is a digrace to nigerian youth.
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:33am On Mar 25, 2010
Beaf:

What is wrong with people?
Is power by force or does Nigeria belong to Yar Adua?

kindly tell me, is quite perplex.  with all theire  perseverances these guys are considering providence of Yar'adua power and his Family  (i guess TURAI alone) not Nigeria. By now Journalist should kindly stop publications of any utterances from Yar'adua family and core. We have somoeone steering the wheel.
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by youngies(m): 12:07pm On Mar 25, 2010
My guess is that there is a HUGE campaign fund by the Pro-Truai group.
Their strategy is to keep on causing all kinds of distractions in the NASS and
also planting baseless stories in the media.

Operation Hurricane Jonathan should be more SWIFT!
Re: Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President by desgiezd(m): 4:07pm On Mar 25, 2010
Yar Adua's life is definitely and surely under threat but this kind of threat is not one that can be legislated against. The myriad of sicknesses ravaging his body is enough threat and I guess no one, even his strongest enemy, needs to point a gun at him. The members from Katsina raising the issue of insecurity are only trying diversionary tactics that would lead to another national debate for days. I therefore hail Bankole for stopping the unncecessary diversion debate.

(1) (Reply)

Gusau’s Resignation Unsettles Presidency ! / Time Has Come For Gej To Leave The Stage / 10 Out Of 19 Northern States Behind Jonathan —abba Gana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.