Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,595 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make (4358 Views)

How Do Bloggers Make Money? Here Is Answer / 3 SEO Big Mistakes To Avoid When Creating The Design For Your New Website / 15 Major Mistakes Bloggers Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Nlearn: 4:35am On Nov 23, 2017
If you've just entered the world of blogging or if you've been blogging for a short time and find that things are not working out as you expected

It will be worth your while to spend some time understanding the common mistakes that bloggers make, the mistake that makes it hard to enjoy what should be an enjoyable, satisfying experience: Blogging!

The five most common new blogger mistakes are:

>>Diving in (rather than wading in)

>>Having unrealistic expectations

>>Losing focus

>>Plagiarizing

>>Ignoring the reader

So Let Me Begin With Diving In
You See Diving in, Here simple mean! Many bloggers are so anxious to get started that they dive in rather than wading in slowly -- its a mistake in an unfamiliar swimming pool or pond and its a mistake when entering a new arena such as the 'blogosphere.'

Before You Go In For Blogging Career, Please Consider these things before you start your Blog:

Find a focus on your blog. A center that reflects what you know, what interests you and what you enjoy talking and writing about. No topics are out of bounds: politics, religion, science, sexual orientations, comedy, exercise, diet, diseases, etc., etc..

Take the time to read dozens of different blogs: note the colors, graphics, and layouts to get an idea of what appeals to you. Also, note that some bloggers are long-winded and others are brief and to the point .

Others are just chatty and entertaining and have no particular point to make. This too is a personal style you get to choose.

You need a host for your blog; some are free, some charge a small amount per month for their service, some are simple to use, and some require more technical knowledge, some have more features than others

Just choose carefully, once you've established your blog and have a few regular readers you may not want to change your address (your URL).

You may or may not want to use your real name on your blog, this depends on many factors, not the least of which is your stance on controversial issues and how publicly you want to be identified with your opinions.

>>Having An Unrealistic Expectations
Unrealistic expectations! If you come to blogging expecting instant results: a large readership and many complimentary comments, you may be disappointed.

There are tens of thousands of blogs online vying for the same audience. Patience and tenacity are essential on your part. If you write well, find a unique niche to fill, have appealing titles for your posts and tirelessly promote your blog the readership and comments (some of which will be complimentary) will come.

>>>Losing Focus
Losing focus! When you started your blog you had a particular reason for doing so; it might have been to express your views on a topic, or it might have been to just communicate with a close circle of friends about your daily activities.

Readers will come to your blog for the first time and either be interested in your subject matter or not, will either like your style or not and if they like your subject and style they may comment and then come back later. Once you've established a topic and tone for your blog, you're free to change it but to do so, you're starting all over.

Be aware that you can have more than one blog, each one devoted to a particular topic and each one, if you choose, under a different identity.

>>Don't Plagiarize
Plagiarizing! There are some great bloggers out there, and as you surf through blogs, you might find one who said something well, something that resonated with you and something you want to put on your blog.

DON'T just copy and paste someone's words in your blog without giving them credit, making it look to the world like the words are yours. If you write it, write it in your own words and write it better, adding your thoughts and feelings and then be gracious, mention where you got the idea and provided a link.

>>Dont Ignore Your Readers
Ignoring the reader! Some of the people who read your blog will leave comments; some readers will agree with you, and some readers may even praise your insights, but most will pick a point you've made and criticize it.

People leave comments on others blogs for the same reason they themselves blog, to exchange ideas and express their points of view. Always respond to your reader's comments; thank them for reading and taking the time to comment (even the severe critics) and then respond, as appropriate, to their comment. If you ignore your comments your readers may end up ignoring your blog.

Source
NairaLearn,

Thanks For Reading

5 Likes

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Nobody: 5:05am On Nov 23, 2017
don't do this don't that in blogging won't kill person

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by AFONJACOW(m): 7:03am On Nov 23, 2017
haba which kind bad luck be this thing this morning. abeg who do I offend last night land grabbers just stage coup d'etat against me this morning.. and Glo is their sponsor, OK let's see
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by rentAcock(m): 7:04am On Nov 23, 2017
Stop wasting your time, nobody I know reads blogs. Few people even bother reading articles from reputable websites how much more blogs from hungry bloggers. You clowns think you can cook-up fake stories, drive traffic to your blogs and bank it big to buy a house on banana island like your idol lindaikeji. What you clowns don't realize is, Linda had 'first-mover' advantage, she made it when fewer people even knew what blogging was and she has a loyal audience. Typical Nigerian mentality, I must replicate my fellow man's success by fire by force.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Nobody: 7:04am On Nov 23, 2017
Where is Nnamdi Kanu? It's going to 2months now since we heard from him. Hope he is doing fine?

undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:07am On Nov 23, 2017
Does this work? Most bloggers who do this are doing fine. They steal your work and get rich through it. They plagiarize and twist articles with that software.

www.mortalpoet.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 23, 2017
Unknown bloggers giving advise hahahaha. Tin is most ppl jumped in cos of money. Now dey are frustrated
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by hustla(m): 7:16am On Nov 23, 2017
rentAcock:
Stop wasting your time, nobody I know reads blogs. Few people even bother reading articles from reputable websites how much more blogs from hungry bloggers. You clowns think you can cook-up fake stories, drive traffic to your blogs and bank it big to buy a house on banana island like your idol lindaikeji. What you clowns don't realize is, Linda had 'first-mover' advantage, she made it when fewer people even knew what blogging was and she has a loyal audience. Typical Nigerian mentality, I must replicate my fellow man's success by fire by force.

Dunce

Tons of blog niches abound, from entertainment to health to tech. Learn and be sure of what you say before spewing trash and traffic is not from Nigeria only, look beyond your nose

There are many bloggers who don't copy and paste and are still making $1 - $3k monthly, enough to live a very okay life in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by rentAcock(m): 7:18am On Nov 23, 2017
hustla:

Dunce

Says the lunatic who only types one word. You are a mo.ron.
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by hustla(m): 7:21am On Nov 23, 2017
rentAcock:

Says the lunatic who only types one word. You are a mo.ron.

The last word is your mom's nickname
And your dad is a lunatic, stark raving mad human. I bet he bites you everyday
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by hustla(m): 7:21am On Nov 23, 2017
hustla:

Mention me again and die naked
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by rentAcock(m): 7:23am On Nov 23, 2017
hustla:

You sound pained like a molested child, did your father assault your anus as a toddler?
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by hustla(m): 7:24am On Nov 23, 2017
rentAcock:

You sound pained like a molested child, did your father assault your anus as a toddler?

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by MichaelRJ(m): 7:27am On Nov 23, 2017
Oga! I have read many articles online, everybody copy each other, what am sure is that one person owns the original article. even aunty Linda copy her story from somewhere, blogging of today is Who God favors, Grace
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Obanaijacom: 7:28am On Nov 23, 2017
Jobless people who come to NL to tell us that they have to iota of brain molecules, how can you be insulting yourselves here like kids, I will soon start bringing cane to flog you people, and please if you must insult don't add your hard working parents to the insult it's not fair....... Biko keep it clean

Just passing through

rentAcock:

2 Likes

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by GTCreations: 7:34am On Nov 23, 2017
I'm into interior decorations. Check my thread. I just started and my works are high quality and affordable. Regardless of state, we deliver.
https://www.nairaland.com/4148839/make-house-home-gtcreations
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Tjesctacy(m): 7:41am On Nov 23, 2017
I want to buy Google adsense account, if you are selling, pls Holla at me, mention and pm. Thanks
www.herbalpharmal.com
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Nobody: 7:41am On Nov 23, 2017
rentAcock:
Stop wasting your time, nobody I know reads blogs

Please tell me you do not meant to say that cheesy Those people are missing out a lot of good stuff
grin

Blogging doesn't revolve round news and entertainment only man

1 Like

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 23, 2017
MichaelRJ:
Oga! I have read many articles online, everybody copy each other, what am sure is that one person owns the original article. even aunty Linda copy her story from somewhere

It depends on the niche

Some blog's niche (topic) requires you to come up with your own article wink
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 23, 2017
Naija bloggers are only good at copying from each other, 90% of Nigerian blogs have same contents.
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Doerstech(m): 7:47am On Nov 23, 2017
Too much copy copy here........even in niches where peps ought to show their expertise.....they will be busy copying....Nice one bro

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by wickyyolo: 7:49am On Nov 23, 2017
Rule number 1 Never Thank the Reader or else they feel too big to open your blog
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by AnodaIT(m): 7:58am On Nov 23, 2017
Blogging = Adsense for Naija

They just need traffic no time to understand whether their audience are satisfied with their content
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by IfoyinTEDO(f): 8:00am On Nov 23, 2017
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 23, 2017
rentAcock:
is like you stay in the village sir. I read many blogs daily 1st thing in the morning as well as most people.

1 Like

Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Ugoeze2016: 8:12am On Nov 23, 2017
Cool, thanks for sharing
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Mobsync(m): 8:14am On Nov 23, 2017
You give good advice even though it's like every blogger gives blogging advise these days.

That said, majority of Nigerian bloggers are cunts. They lack creativity and common sense. All they want is drive traffic to their site -- even if it means posting fake news -- and make money via AdSense.

That's why many would never make past guguru and epa money.
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by Starkid3010(m): 8:15am On Nov 23, 2017
IfoyinTEDO:
stay dere
y pple are making dere dough
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by newsfromwomen: 8:18am On Nov 23, 2017
that's quiet idea for beginners to know the basic things in starting a blog website. Great work done
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by RapportNaija(m): 8:55am On Nov 23, 2017
rentAcock:

Nobody read blogs? Bullshit! If nobody reads, what do people who search on Google read?

You think blogs are only made so some certain persons can save the name and always visit?

I've over 95% new visitors daily, and my traffic has stability.

So what nonsense are you talking?

SEO/Social bookmarking/SM are avenues for people to find contents, if you don't read, then it's your personal problem.

The people who visit Linda, do you think they have no interest for other type of contents that Linda doesn't produce?
Re: 5 Big Mistakes That Bloggers Make by styless(f): 9:14am On Nov 23, 2017
My top 5 blogs in Nigeria:
Nairaland
Nairaland
Nairaland
DNB Stories
Nairaland

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Web Developer's Use The Color Green? / 4 Reasons Why Blogging Is Good For Your Business / Plugins For Bulk Sms On Wordpress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.