Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? (2017 Views)

--- / How Easy Is Getting Admission Into Netherlands Univeristies And Visa / Does A Baby Need Passport And Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by Rosechawa: 12:54pm On Mar 25, 2010
Hello, I have a bit of dilemma/question that I need your views.I am a student soon going to pursue my degree in IT in UK this September. I have always wanted to act and model, mostly model cause I love it. I have done some modeling but nothing huge, at least where I live it's not that big, I have done it part time and have been putting it off till I finish my degree cause I know it's not the most reliable career choice but I really want to give it a shot. It's my dream. My question is, is there a possibility of me being able to pursue my modeling career abroad? Full time, like after my studies? I know that in order to stay back in UK you have to have a good job offer that could show that you can financially support yourself but modeling is not really consider a 'desk job' it's more like being self employed. I know people from African countries who went as students but are now acting/modeling. How do they do this I always wonder? What visa do they use to stay back and carry out such a career? Do they use some kind of loop hole? lol. I asked a friend and he said it's impossible, that even during my studies, I cant even do it as a half time job cause it falls under 'self employment' and that's against the student visa
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 1:20pm On Mar 25, 2010
Rosechawa:

Hello, I have a bit of dilemma/question that I need your views.I am a student soon going to pursue my degree in IT in UK this September. I have always wanted to act and model, mostly model cause I love it. I have done some modeling but nothing huge, at least where I live it's not that big, I have done it part time and have been putting it off till I finish my degree cause I know it's not the most reliable career choice but I really want to give it a shot. It's my dream. My question is, is there a possibility of me being able to pursue my modeling career abroad? Full time, like after my studies? I know that in order to stay back in UK you have to have a good job offer that could show that you can financially support yourself but modeling is not really consider a 'desk job' it's more like being self employed. I know people from African countries who went as students but are now acting/modeling. How do they do this I always wonder? What visa do they use to stay back and carry out such a career? Do they use some kind of loop hole? lol. I asked a friend and he said it's impossible, that even during my studies, I cant even do it as a half time job cause it falls under 'self employment' and that's against the student visa
Come to the UK first, you can work for 2yrs after your graduation with Post-study Work permit, while you are here studying u can make ur enquiry, send ur photo shots, if they like it then when you graduate and get ur post study work permit u can then work for them.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2010
Regarding UK, I'm not sure if scouting for modeling job is against the 20 hours permit, but as you said it's really a bit hazy. And each Uni here has staff to advice.
But I think you should look into US schools, at least you can apply for drama / art schools and there's no limit on how many hours you an work in US or what you can do,so you can do anything. Plus why waste so much money on a UK uni studying a course you don't wanna do just to be able to model here ?

Plus, lets face it I live in the UK,and when I look at their Ads / Shows if there are 10 people 9 are white then they throw 1 token black person in it tomake it look better, but seeing US Ads and Shows more black models / actors. I'm not sayings there's any racsicm just my POV. Hope was helpful  wink
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 3:09pm On Mar 25, 2010
kadman:

Regarding UK, I'm not sure if scouting for modeling job is against the 20 hours permit, but as you said it's really a bit hazy. And each Uni here has staff to advice. But I think you should look into US schools, at least you can apply for drama / art schools and there's no limit on how many hours you an work in US or what you can do,so you can do anything. Plus why waste so much money on a UK uni studying a course you don't wanna do just to be able to model here ?

Plus, lets face it looking I live in UK,and when I look at their Ads / Shows if there are 10 people 9 are white then they throw 1 token black person in it tomake it look better, but seeing US Ads and Shows more black models / actors. I'm not sayings there's any racsicm just my POV. Hope was helpful wink

Are you sure about that? A foreign student can do anything in USA? Do you think that drama/art school is the same as modeling?
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 3:14pm On Mar 25, 2010
justwise:

Are you sure about that? A foreign student can do anything in USA? Do you think that drama/art school is the same as modeling?

Yeah I'm sure about that.

And poster said he / she wants to be an actor / model. . that's the closets step in the right direction
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 3:27pm On Mar 25, 2010
kadman:

Yeah I'm sure about that.

And poster said he / she wants to be an actor / model. . that's the closets step in the right direction

Ok, i don't know much about USA student system, let somebody that knows better than i do argue that with u though i have my fears.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 3:33pm On Mar 25, 2010
justwise:

Ok, i don't know much about USA student system, let somebody that knows better than i do argue that with u though i have my fears.

Hmm ?Not sure what's up the "argue" , just gave my opinion about what I feel about the POSTERS question, not looking to argue with you or anyone undecided
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by Vicjustice: 6:35pm On Mar 25, 2010
Justwise and Kadman, i acknowledge that both of you are reasonable contributors, and your opinions are respect even if they varies. Cheers
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by Rosechawa: 7:29am On Mar 26, 2010
Thank you so much for your reply guys. I asked for advise from another site and they almost ate me raw and they were very discouraging. Thank you for answering me and being very honest. As for why I am doing the IT degree first, it's because I want to have something to fall back on, just in case my initial plans do not work out.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by Pittbaby(f): 8:42pm On Apr 05, 2010
Please note a US Student can not under normal circumstances work off campus.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 11:31pm On Apr 05, 2010
Pittbaby:

Please note a US Student can not under normal circumstances work off campus.

Kadman said the opposite.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Apr 05, 2010
chei, justwise. . . you like argument small o wink grin
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 11:59pm On Apr 05, 2010
jassie:

Not really, just don't like to give pple misleading info
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 8:53am On Apr 06, 2010
Justwise you're just spoiling for an argument, if you'll be silly enough to agree that US students are only allowed to work on campus, I'll let you be.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 8:55am On Apr 06, 2010
jassie:

After I saw Pittbaby's reply I've been waiting for him to fall into it. It didn't take him 30 mins, dude clearly has a lot of time
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 9:19am On Apr 06, 2010
kadman:

Justwise you're just spoiling for an argument, if you'll be silly enough to agree that US students are only allowed to work on campus, I'll let you be.

Thats not the point, u said that USA students can do ANYTHING, infact this is how u put it:  no limit on how many hours you can work in US or what you can do,so you can do anything .Now that is misleading, you are not helping the poster by misleading her, we are here to help each other. Its just not fair when u delibrately give out wrong info.

I'm not silly maybe you shld check very well who is silly here, i don't argue blindly.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 9:24am On Apr 06, 2010
kadman:

After I saw Pittbaby's reply I've been waiting for him to fall into it. It didn't take him 30 mins, dude clearly has a lot of time

Fall into what? Pittbaby was right and i told you that somebody who knows more abt USA student system will respond to ur claim and she did.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2010
justwise:

Fall into what? Pittbaby was right and i told you that somebody who knows more abt USA student system will respond to your claim and she did.

And what makes Pittbaby right ?Because she says something that supports your argument makes her right ? When you there's an argument against you, you'd ask for links e.t.c. Where is the link to support Pittsbaby ? Not so easy to be objective now is it ?

As I said if you're silly enough to believe that US students can only work on campus when there are hundred of stories of students who supported themselves flipping burgers at McDonald's then that's your luck dude.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 10:50am On Apr 06, 2010
justwise:

T
I'm not silly maybe you shld check very well who is silly here, i don't argue blindly.

You don't argue blindly. . that's a joke, you've had to apologise to me and other members of the forum on your witch hunt for scammers / spammers. Who first brought up the word "argue" in this thread. Dude stick to what you know best "witch hunting" for wanna-be scammers
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 10:59am On Apr 06, 2010
kadman:

You don't argue blindly. . that's a joke, you've had to apologise to me and other members of the forum on your witch hunt for scammers / spammers. Who first brought up the word "argue" in this thread. Dude stick to what you know best "witch hunting" for wanna-be scammers

Yes when i get it wrong i apologise for it, thats what any decent matured man should do. You just mislead somebody here and u are not matured enough to acknowledge that.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 11:02am On Apr 06, 2010
, And you get it wrongs LOTS of times, still waiting on link or proof I got it wrong
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 11:09am On Apr 06, 2010
kadman:

, And you get it wrongs LOTS of times, still waiting on link or proof I got it wrong

No i don't get it wrong all the time, i have only apologised to not more than 3 pple here since i joined this site.

You are completely wrong to say that foreign students can do ANYTHING in USA. Do you know anything abt USA system at all?
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by kadman(m): 11:15am On Apr 06, 2010
Arh justjobless and what do you know ? You didn't add any information but leaching on what Pittb said. How I know ? I have friends there

Dude as I see you're quite jobless this morning on a merry go round , I'll come back to the thread later in the day. wink
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 11:21am On Apr 06, 2010
kadman:

Arh justjobless and what do you know ? You didn't add any information but leaching on what Pittb said. How I know ? I have friends there

Dude as I see you're quite jobless this morning on a merry go round , I'll come back to the thread later in the day. wink

Your friend there is not a student, i knew u got no clue how student system works in USA and u based ur lies on what ur 'friend' said.

Even if somebody tells you that u can do ANYTHING as a foreign student in USA, u should use ur brain, nobody can do anything in foreign land as a student.

How can a jobless person afford internet connection 24hrs? I don't use internet cafe like u.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by Pittbaby(f): 10:06pm On Apr 07, 2010
Oga for una , anyway to clarify my point

As an international student you can only work 20 hours a week on campus and it is illegal to work off campus . You can declare economic hardship to work off campus , but that needs to be approved by the INS . Good luck with that .

The other legal options for working off campus are CPT and OPT which is essentially practical training in your area of study ,
CPT needs to be endorsed by International student advisor for only your course of study , so unless she is getting a degree in modelling not going to happen. She can model with OPT but note that you only get 12 months for your entire stay in the US . it will be a great waste of that oppurtunity , unless she is doing it part time after graduation , or can not secure any other gainful means of emplyment during her 12 month OPT.

for the sake of argument all things are possible illegally , but then there is a reason it is illegal smiley

See link below for supporting evidence of my claims , PEACE

http://www.istudentcity.com/immigration/imm_permission_offcampus.asp
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by Starrynight: 9:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
well I have I live i the US and I work and go to school. Its not quite the same situation but I did look at you link pittbaby and it also says on that sight that "The type of work is also not limited to your field of studies." so I think that she can model here but it is harder than it seems. hope things work out for you Rosechawa.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by Starrynight: 9:02pm On Jul 30, 2012
well I have I live i the US and I work and go to school. Its not quite the same situation but I did look at you link pittbaby and it also says on that sight that "The type of work is also not limited to your field of studies." so I think that she can model here but it is harder than it seems. hope things work out for you Rosechawa. I say do what makes you happy it can work.
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by worry359(m): 7:55am On Jul 31, 2012
2 year old thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you reply Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Re: Advice Needed? Modeling Abroad And Visa Question? by justwise(m): 9:10am On Jul 31, 2012
worry 359: 2 year old thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you reply Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

In Urgent Need Of Relocating To Dubai! / Transiting Tru France To Lima,peru / Transportation Cost From Abuja To Kaduna, Pharocurt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.